PDA

View Full Version : Blending in older lightened hair colour.

Rheia Althia
April 3rd, 2008, 11:13 AM
Hi All,
I've lurked here for awhile and I thought this would be a good subject to start a post with. I have beautiful, healthy long hair that is down to my waist. Now back before I started growing it I had lightened it slightly once in awhile. I was looking at it the other day and I notice a colour change between all my natural growth and the old lightened hair. Is it safe to use a hair dye on the lighter half to mix them in better? I don't want to damage it at all and if there are any natural methods to blending it in better I would prefer them since I am trying to grow out my completely natural colour and don't want to damage my hair.

Any advice?

Nightshade
April 3rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
Welcome to LHC!

If you get a wash-out (like in 8-10 washes kind) dye that's one shade lighter than your natural color the more porous lightened ends should grab the color without any damage. Your healthier virgin hair won't hold onto it long, if at all :flowers:

Xandergrammy
April 3rd, 2008, 01:23 PM
My advice is to just let it be. That's what I did. :flowers:

Unofficial_Rose
April 3rd, 2008, 01:50 PM
I've got some highlights that have grown out about 1.5 inches, and I find when I CO (like today) the demarkation is less obvious - the overall tone is darker. If I shampoo again it's back to normal.

Could be worth a try before you go down the dye route?

Or if you are brunette, the molasses "hair crack" recipe that was on here a while back could be good - sorry I cannot find the link, think it had egg and honey in it?

Siowiel
April 3rd, 2008, 02:14 PM
In my opinion, you're lucky to have only highlights... all my lenghts are lighted from chemical dye (lighter reddish-brown as opposed to my natural darker brown without red).

I use a henna-indigo-mix that is supposed to match my natural haircolour (it does not so yet, I am experimenting) but never-ever darker than my natural colour. This way, my virgin hair gets the benefits of henna without being coloured (as henna does not achieve to lighten hair), and the lighter lenghts take on a darker brown.

But this might be no option for you, depending on your natural colour. If it is very light brown-blonde, you'd get red highlights, I suppose.

atlantaz3
April 3rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
I have low and high lights that I am probably just going to let grow out (famous last words). You might do some research here on honey or halo treatments. I did a honey treatment on my hair for 1.5 hours (you can go as long as you dare) and it did an overall lightening (but not drastic) my highlights don't seem to show up an much unless I have my hair skinned back! Also, the honey treatment does seem to help with the demarkation line.

Rheia Althia
April 4th, 2008, 10:01 AM
In my opinion, you're lucky to have only highlights... all my lenghts are lighted from chemical dye (lighter reddish-brown as opposed to my natural darker brown without red).

I use a henna-indigo-mix that is supposed to match my natural haircolour (it does not so yet, I am experimenting) but never-ever darker than my natural colour. This way, my virgin hair gets the benefits of henna without being coloured (as henna does not achieve to lighten hair), and the lighter lenghts take on a darker brown.

But this might be no option for you, depending on your natural colour. If it is very light brown-blonde, you'd get red highlights, I suppose.

Yeah it was just some highlights a few years ago, but now it is noticeable that half of my hair is darker. I am naturally a medium to darker blonde but the last length of my hair are a light blonde from years ago.

It probably isn't as bad as I think it is...

Thank you all for you advice though!

Delilah
April 4th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Maybe a cassia treatment would help even the color a bit. It gives a subtle golden color and has henna-like conditioning properties. Turmeric is also known to give a yellowish color.
If you used a herbal color mix over your entire head it might blend the 2 colors together by giving them both the same kind of tone.

Nightshade
April 4th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Maybe a cassia treatment would help even the color a bit. It gives a subtle golden color and has henna-like conditioning properties. Turmeric is also known to give a yellowish color.
If you used a herbal color mix over your entire head it might blend the 2 colors together by giving them both the same kind of tone.

I'd recommend cassia, but not turmeric. Turmeric is REALLY yellow and rinses out pretty fast.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/HerbalTestStrands1.jpg

Firefly
April 4th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I went through a similar problem years ago, and used a no peroxide/no ammonia coloring called Loving Care. It did an excellent job of blending the ends with my natural color without darkening the virgin hair. It seemed very gentle on my hair as well. Not sure if they are still making the product, but you could look for something similar. Good luck! :)

Firefly

Rheia Althia
April 4th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I'd recommend cassia, but not turmeric. Turmeric is REALLY yellow and rinses out pretty fast.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/HerbalTestStrands1.jpg

I've heard coffee can also help darken your hair slightly. What is your guys' take on that?

Nightshade
April 4th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Can be pretty drying, and it doesn't always grab on human hair. I did get a light stain on mhoair, though. It can also be VERY drying.

You can see all the herbal locks I tried in this post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=48736&postcount=24):)

Rheia Althia
April 23rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks!
I was able to find a non-permanent dye and I did that, leaving it on for only half the time. It blended the colours very nicely and it's been a few weeks since I did it and my hair didn't suffer from it.

Thank you for all the advice!

Nightshade
April 23rd, 2008, 09:05 AM
Yay! That's fantastic to hear :D

spidermom
April 23rd, 2008, 09:14 AM
My hair is a different color at the bottom than the top (see avatar), and it's totally natural. I think that having an even color from top to bottom is more characteristic of short hair or colored hair.

Rheia Althia
April 23rd, 2008, 09:20 AM
Yeah, mine was becoming a bit brassy since the colour was so many years old and it was bothering me. Even after the non-permanent dye there is still a gradient of colour from top to bottom going lighter. It's just not as noticeable any more and I am very happy with it :)