PDA

View Full Version : A very feminine time

Patty lou
April 6th, 2009, 10:22 AM
A friend sent this to me and I think it must have been great to be in college in 1941 and be able to wear your hair like this, I really like the bows on the ends of her braids, she looks so femine and lady like.

I don't think she looks like a little girl at all, what do you gals think ?????

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?imgurl=a45d356e0bfd464b&q=Ann%20Teal%20source:life&prev=/images%3Fq%3D

Patty lou

marajade
April 6th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I think that looks lovely and as "progressive" as our modern society is. . at least with hair I've noticed most people want everyone to fit inside a certain style, and if you are outside of that, you aren't "stylish". But again I do think it looks very feminine and stylish :).

spidermom
April 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM
That's a beautiful photo, although to me bows in the hair still belongs to little girls. It's probably societal conditioning, darn it all.

Helen Baq
April 6th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I think it's really pretty. I've always wanted to wear bows in my hair, but, even with bands under them, they just slip out. :(

Magdalene
April 6th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I totally thought this thread was going to be about periods, lol.

I think the lipstick keeps the look very adult.

wintersun99
April 6th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I really like the look on her, but she's probably only 18'ish (it does say college)... not sure that I would like the look on someone much older... that's just me, though. :)

misstwist
April 6th, 2009, 11:06 AM
The "related image" in the right-hand box was the *really* interesting one.

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?q=Ann+Teal+source:life&prev=/images%3Fq%3D&imgurl=be135071f0fd54ea

mellie
April 6th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Those are darling! Very cute!!

Heavenly Locks
April 6th, 2009, 11:37 AM
The "related image" in the right-hand box was the *really* interesting one.

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?q=Ann+Teal+source:life&prev=/images%3Fq%3D&imgurl=be135071f0fd54ea

Is that...a .. BRAID HAT? :confused:

Gypsygirl
April 6th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't wear my hair like that because that's just not me, but you know... It doesn't matter if other people think that's a girlish style. Be who you are and wear it on your sleeve... If you love that style, go for it! Who wants to look like everyone else?

Forever_Sophie
April 6th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Very cute! I'm totally conditioned - I can't see it happening, but if that were the norm, I'd be in LOL :o

enfys
April 6th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I wear ribbons in my hair, because I have a baby face it works. Someone with a shapely face may not fare so well...

I think it's a great look!

atlantaz3
April 6th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I'm looking for Toto. Cute but I don't think I would wear it. Although I did braids for ear protection this new year's eve!

Patty lou
April 6th, 2009, 06:59 PM
In the 1952 movie "Belles on their toes" Debra Paget who played
"Martha Gilbreth" wore her hair like that and I think she was supposed to be in her early 20's.
I still love that look.

Patty lou

Tangles
April 6th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Sometimes I wish college/young adult styles were more preppy like this...not necessarily ribbons, but more of a clean cut look. Seems like everyone just wears their hair flat ironed or else in a sloppy ponytail these days.

AnneAdeline
April 6th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Is that...a .. BRAID HAT? :confused:
I don't see an actual hat part... it looks like maybe they're clipped into her hair. I find this so odd!

Brat
April 6th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Cute, but if I tried it, I'd rip the bows out. They'd bug me constantly being just in my line of sight!

camirra555
April 6th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Lol ditto!

I think the lipstick keeps the look very adult.

Roseate
April 6th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Aw, cute. Girlish? Not really. Under 30? Yeah. I can't see it working in a non-ironic way on someone older, but it looks good on her!

peachrose
April 6th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I would love to wear my hair like that (maybe I will). I think, as you say, it looks cute but still womanly. Great picture!

Seraphina
April 6th, 2009, 10:58 PM
That is a really cute style.It suits her a lot.

Alexey
April 6th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I wear ribbons all the time! In fact, I collect them. One for every outfit I own plus some. Usually I wear them in a single braid in the back, but If I'm going to the gym, I'll braid and twist up the ends and add a ribbon. Life is too short to wait until till fad comes back in style to wear what your really deep down in side want to wear. Live it up NOW. Dress as you want NOW...tomorrow may never come and you would have wished you would have dressed how you dreamed. I wear long jumpers with petticoat slips under them all the time, WITH ribbons and bows, too. Ilove to look feminine and pretty and dainty.... thanks for posting. I wear old fashioned, pretty, girly dresses. I even get hair toys from my guy that he picks out for me....in the little girls section!! Tiny colorful flower barrettes, ribbons, ect. He love them on me....and I am over the hill....but they say once you are over the hill, you pick up speed....so, Im really on a roll now!!

Robbi Dehlinger
April 6th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Hi!

VERY cute and I like her smile!

Wish my hair were long enuf to braid??:)

RancheroTheBee
April 6th, 2009, 11:16 PM

:laugh: Me, too!

I would totally pig-tail my hair within an inch of its life if I could get away with it, but I think I would start getting kicked out of PG-13 movies if I did.

ailin
April 7th, 2009, 02:27 AM
It looks very cute on her. Don't know if I could pull bows off, they would probably make me look like I was 12.

LOL! Guilty as well.

Merlin
April 7th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Nobody, but nobody, can take photographs like that now :-)

If you watch this movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVhCYVRmLms) you'll see that her hair in this picture is very atypical - both are Smith College in the early 1940s. Or this picture (http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?imgurl=5189d8f50973822c&q=smith%20college%201940s&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsmith%2Bcollege%2B1940s%26ndsp%3D20%2 6hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20%26um%3D1) also from Life.

It may be that the photo is created to convey an idea of what teenage American girls ought to look like rather than what they did look like. It's interesting to note that we all (and I include myself here) all think she's very attractive and looks fabulous with that hair - over half a century later. Magazine covers are created for one reason only, to make you stop and look at the magazine when it's competing with all the others in the newsagents. We've all just proved that if we were looking the magazines we'd all be taken by that cover and probably pick it up; the first rule of sales is get the product into the customer's hand, that's why sales staff always want you to hold whatever they're selling, or get you to sit in the chair, or whatever. Because if you can get the punter to hold it you're most of the way to selling it.

aisling
April 7th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Of all the hair related pictures you can find in the Life gallery, this (http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?imgurl=bbcf1a0c469605f7&q=1940s%20source:life&prev=/images%3Fq%3D1940s%2Bsource:life%26ndsp%3D20%26hl% 3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D60) is one of my favorites.

Merlin
April 7th, 2009, 03:57 AM
So, selling to a very different market to the cute girl with pigtails then!

crystal_89
April 7th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Of all the hair related pictures you can find in the Life gallery, this (http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?imgurl=bbcf1a0c469605f7&q=1940s%20source:life&prev=/images%3Fq%3D1940s%2Bsource:life%26ndsp%3D20%26hl% 3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D60) is one of my favorites.

Oh wow, I like her hair!

And haha... yes... advertising to a very different market to the girl with the pigtails

JamieLeigh
April 7th, 2009, 07:18 AM
She does look very cute, and not at all little-girlish! :)

I don't think that I could have worn my hair that way in college - it was much longer and it would have gotten in my way tremendously (I was in Marching Band and Concert Orchestra, plus played volleyball!). But it is definitely very feminine and sweet. Thanks for sharing! :flower:

Hypnotica
April 7th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I have problems with the word "ladylike", but I like the contrast between the braids and the dark, rich lipstick.

JamieLeigh
April 7th, 2009, 07:22 AM

I like this (http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?q=1940s+source:life&prev=/images%3Fq%3D1940s%2Bsource:life%26ndsp%3D20%26hl% 3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D60&imgurl=7cb62d0f6e98b088) one too!! It looks so complicated, but a little big for me to be comfortable wearing...

wintersun99
April 7th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Nobody, but nobody, can take photographs like that now :-)

If you watch this movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVhCYVRmLms) you'll see that her hair in this picture is very atypical - both are Smith College in the early 1940s. Or this picture (http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?imgurl=5189d8f50973822c&q=smith%20college%201940s&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsmith%2Bcollege%2B1940s%26ndsp%3D20%2 6hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20%26um%3D1) also from Life.

It may be that the photo is created to convey an idea of what teenage American girls ought to look like rather than what they did look like. It's interesting to note that we all (and I include myself here) all think she's very attractive and looks fabulous with that hair - over half a century later. Magazine covers are created for one reason only, to make you stop and look at the magazine when it's competing with all the others in the newsagents. We've all just proved that if we were looking the magazines we'd all be taken by that cover and probably pick it up; the first rule of sales is get the product into the customer's hand, that's why sales staff always want you to hold whatever they're selling, or get you to sit in the chair, or whatever. Because if you can get the punter to hold it you're most of the way to selling it.

Interesting that you pointed this out, because I was actually reminded of the Julia Roberts movie Mona Lisa Smile and right off started to think of the hair in that movie. Granted, it was about 10 years past, but seemed very close to the styles in the video you linked.

wintersun99
April 7th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Now, I'm going to have to go browse the galleries, these photos are all so very cool.

GlassEyes
April 7th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Sometimes I wish college/young adult styles were more preppy like this...not necessarily ribbons, but more of a clean cut look. Seems like everyone just wears their hair flat ironed or else in a sloppy ponytail these days.
I'd rather people dressed however they wish.

It's cute.

Gypsygirl
April 7th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I'd rather people dressed however they wish.

:rockerdud

Patty lou
April 7th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I may try this on Friday (casual day). I will borrow ribbon from DD.

Patty lou

Alun
April 7th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Aw, cute. Girlish? Not really. Under 30? Yeah. I can't see it working in a non-ironic way on someone older, but it looks good on her!

What she said