PDA

View Full Version : Nape breakage from necklace - help

Loviatar
April 6th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I have a huge pouffy section of breakage at my nape on each side. I am sure it comes from my necklace, which is a snake chain (solid-looking chain, you can't see any links) and an o-shaped regular clasp. Often it catches on my hair or scarf. My hair always breaks and winds itself into the clasp.

Types of chains shown here http://www.bluenile.co.uk/jewelry/necklaces/necklace-guide

The easy thing to do is to say, well, dont wear a necklace. But it was a gift from my partner and I wear it constantly. He bought the pendant not the chain, so that's not too bad, I could swap the chain. But does anyone have any recommendations for chains that won't snag my hair? Is a link-to-link cable chain less damaging than a snake chain for example? Different types of clasp? I like the look of the Byzantine chains on the site above.

Please though, dont advise me to put the pendant on to a bootlace or rubber string/thonging, as I don't like that look for everyday wear (although it's OK for gothy-type pendants). That was what my sister suggested and I'm not keen.

The only other thing I can think of is to find someone who will make a plain 'bangle' style necklace but then it would need to be thin enough to thread through my pendant loop. :shrug: I am out of ideas now.

Thoughts? Anyone else have this snagging problem? It even happens when I am wearing an updo, as I am just snagging sections that have already broken from earlier snagging sessions!

Thanks
Lovi

Kina
April 6th, 2009, 10:08 AM
yep, constant and can't not wear a necklace/chain...

will be watching, hey, where's the popcorn?

spidermom
April 6th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I have the exact same problem, and the type of chain doesn't matter. Therefore I don't wear necklaces very often, and only when my hair is securely up. I've been thinking about trying some thin, silky ribbon double-tied in a bow (like you do to keep shoe laces tied); maybe you could give it a go and let me know how it works out.

Anje
April 6th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I have a suspicion that those "snake" chains are hair-grabbers, able to pinch single hairs between the links.

Sometimes, simply swapping in a different chain or clasp is enough. I have several nice necklaces with normal sorts of clasps that don't catch my hair. (I still have a bit of short hair on my nape at each side, but that's a permanent fixture on me and has nothing to do with necklaces. It's just got a short terminal length, and I have a tendency to cut it to about an inch long if it starts tying itself into knots.) You might want to pay attention to necklaces with the clasps that you typically find with pearls, though it might be difficult to find one that you could put a pendant on.

I know you don't like the suggestion about putting it on a cord, but what about a nice length of ribbon? You could even change ribbon colors and patterns as it suited you.

SimplyLonghair
April 6th, 2009, 10:44 AM
This may sound weird, but I use a piece of plastic tubing. Like you have for an aquarium. Take and cut a piece that is long enough to cover the "problem area" which for me is mainly the clasp area and then slit it down the middle and slip it over the necklace. This keeps it from grabbing my hair. HTH:D

Heavenly Locks
April 6th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Can you wrap the part of the chain that snags with ribbon? :)

Kina
April 6th, 2009, 11:39 AM
This may sound weird, but I use a piece of plastic tubing. Like you have for an aquarium. Take and cut a piece that is long enough to cover the "problem area" which for me is mainly the clasp area and then slit it down the middle and slip it over the necklace. This keeps it from grabbing my hair. HTH:D

what a good idea! thanks

Jeni
April 6th, 2009, 05:55 PM
The rubber tube is an interesting idea, I will have to try it.

I cant seem to wear any kind of necklace. They all grab my hair but snake chains are the worst.

AmyJorgensen
April 6th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I think the rubber piece is an awesome idea. I was going to suggest making one out of cloth and sliding it aside to clasp...then sliding it back over the clasp.

ancilla
April 6th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I work at a silver jewelry store and I have to say that snake chains, though they might be pretty, are the worst chains to wear because they not only catch and snag your hair (since the links are so tight together) but you don't know how many times I get returns on these chains because they break so easily, since they can not bend.

I would recommend a box chain for you instead. It is not likely to catch your hair because the links are going in different directions rather than just one direction.

Magdalene
April 6th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I work at a silver jewelry store and I have to say that snake chains, though they might be pretty, are the worst chains to wear because they not only catch and snag your hair (since the links are so tight together) but you don't know how many times I get returns on these chains because they break so easily, since they can not bend.

I would recommend a box chain for you instead. It is not likely to catch your hair because the links are going in different directions rather than just one direction.

What about different types of claps? Do they make a difference?

Teacherbear
April 6th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I only wear relatively open chains. The one I'm wearing now (and wear every day, ALWAYS) is a box chain, but the boxes are really long ovals. I learned that the closer the link, the more my hair gets eaten.

I wear a diamond heart pendant every day (only take it off for swimming, xray (or the like) imaging, cleaning it, etc). The chain is not the original. The original ate my hair. This chain seems sturdier and is pretty easy for me to untwist my hair from.

I hope that gives you something to think about.

eta: from the link you posted, I'd stick with the rolo or or cable chain. I think another name for a "good" chain (in my mind) is a mariner's chain, but I won't swear by it.

UncommonTart
April 6th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I have the very same problem with snake chains. I don't have this problem with box chains or with most other styles where the links fit together more loosely. Figaro chains are another suggestion for you. They don't snag my hair, and they're reasonably decorative.

However, my snake chain was a gift (with a pendant) from a friend on a special occasion. I'd feel awful if she noticed that I'd switched the chain that the pendant goes on, so I'm definitely going to try the aquarium tubing idea.

Carolyn
April 6th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I'd recommend a box chain with a lobster claw clasp and only wearing your necklace when your hair is up.

morningstar
April 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Mark was buying me chains with pendants and they all eat my hair. I have stopped wearing them or only wear them when my hair is up. I always thought that covering the back with something would be a great idea. I have a short layer at the nap from the damage two years ago.

marla
April 6th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I had some really nice puka shells from Hawaii and they completely ate my nape hair. The only time I wear a necklace now is when its long enough that I can put it behind my shirt collar. It works well with long hang-y necklaces but not much else.

redpenny
April 6th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I have had this problem too with wearing chain necklaces; I also don't wear necklaces too often. This just came to me but maybe it would help without affecting the appearance of your necklace. You can put a thick coat of clear nail polish along the clasp area where it keeps bothering you. This would seal the links so your hair wouldn't get stuck in between them. I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if someone mentioned doing this. I usually do this with fake jewelry to help it last longer.

Omens
April 6th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I wear a necklace everyday and don't even bother to take it off when I shower. Mine was just a pendant I bought at a bead store then put on one of the chains I had lying around. A lot of them broke my hair (I tried several), and ended up using this: http://www.oramaworld.com/images/small_gifts/silver_chains/silver_chain_113_300.jpg

I'm not sure what it's called, but that's what it looks like! :o

It doesn't seem to break my hair. It has a bolt clasp (I think that's what it's called). It's that little circle-shaped clasp. Anyway, hope that helps a little. :flower:

Norai
April 6th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Maybe try a magnetic clasp? They're stronger than you'd think, I've been using one on a wood bead necklace and it hasn't come close to falling off. :x

It might also help to put a dab of superglue in the areas around the clasp that "hook" so that there's nothing to catch on - you know the part of the wire that loops around and hooks onto the clasp?