PDA

View Full Version : Went back to CO ... hair freaked out after one CWC!

Heavenly Locks
April 6th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I went the whole month of March with CO and was happy...It seems to take a little longer to dry, stayed wavier (I like to wear it straight) and is generally less fluffy.

The last wash I did a CWC with my commercial products (coney) and was rather happy with the results. At first.

After the CWC it was shiny, soft and just the way I liked it. It lasted all of 2 days. (last time I was doing CWC I could go 5 days)

In 3 days it was needing washed again and on days 2 and 3 it got progressively dryer and almost 'stiff' feeling. :scared: I did the 'spring test' and it just snapped! No stretch, no spring...snap. *scream* At one point during detangling, a section of my ends just sort of STUCK together and I had to cut off 1/2 inch of tangle. My. Hair. Doesn't. Tangle!

So I did a CO again to get some moisture back into it and it's better. I think I need an SMT though.

Why in the world did that happen???

Also, I went and looked at my hair after it was finished drying and my SCALP is a wreck. It's like FLAKE city. Big honking white flakes and I can scratch them up with my nails and sort of fluff them out ... :thud:

Arctic
April 6th, 2009, 08:55 AM
It sounds like build-up to me.

Probably from the CO, or did you clarify between CO and CWC? Or any time during the month of COing? Ofcourse each head of hair is different, but I personally get build-up easily. And those symptoms you discribe are classic signs!
ETA: Also water (minerals and metals), oils, and anything that gets into your hair can leave build-up.

If I were you I would clarify and then moisturize really well, I bet it helps!

Heavenly Locks
April 6th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Arctic, I didn't do anything during the CO trial except use the Suave Naturals Coconut...no other products at all. I didn't feel like I had buildup...but honestly, I'm not sure what buildup actually feels like?

:o

Arctic
April 6th, 2009, 09:08 AM
For me, it's tanglyness and stickyness. It can be also dryness, make hair feel just bad and not normal, it may cause frizziness, etc. Some people say when they have build-up their hair just doesn't get clean, feels greasy... It can feel waxy or coated. Each person has a bit different symptoms.

Usually a good sulphate shampooing, really washing the whole length and ends too, helps. After that a nice moisturizing treatment is great, the hair can really absorb the moisture and other goodies after clarifying.

Anje
April 6th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Hmmm.... Could be the cones, of course, though you'll probably need to shampoo again to get them all out. I also get protein buildup from Suave coconut, which leads to tangles and snappy hair, so I need to go with a protein-free conditioner for CO.