PDA

View Full Version : Greasy Hair

mediumhair
April 6th, 2009, 01:05 AM
I need to find a shampoo sold in regular stores like walmart, target for greasy hair. So a little background. My hair looks very greasy. Like it's dripping in oil. I wash it every other day or 3x a week. I used many different shampoos and I don't lather on a lot. I do use very warm water and I heard that this can cause your hair to be oily. If I do not blow dry my hair and let it dry naturally my hair is all clumped together and feels greasy and oily. If I do half and half blow dry a bit and then dry naturally then I still get the same problem. If I blowdry for 45 minutes I can get all the water out of my hair and it has more volume because of the heat and looks ok for about 12 hours and then looks greasy and limp again.

SimplyLonghair
April 6th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Some of us just have oilier hair and need to wash often, My DH was that way and he just washed every day and sometimes twice a day on hot days. :rolleyes: It might get less as you get older sometimes it does.

mediumhair
April 6th, 2009, 01:14 AM
That doesn't help. Like I said m hair looks awful even after a washing. I can't seem to get any oil of out my hair even for half a day.

SimplyLonghair
April 6th, 2009, 01:19 AM
That doesn't help. Like I said m hair looks awful even after a washing. I can't seem to get any oil of out my hair even for half a day.
I wish that I cpuld help but I no longer use shampoo, I use baking soda or castile soap, both of which get the oil out of my hair very well. Even if I oil with a heavy oil of coconut. I use about a tsp of baking soda in a cup of warm water and use it and work it into the hair and leave it for about 5 minutes and then rinse very well and then use Apple cider vinegar added to a cup of water to rinse and then a water rinse again and that keeps my hair good.:D

mediumhair
April 6th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Is baking soda ok for hair? What if it gets into your eyes? I could try it. I don't have apple cider vinegar. I have white vinegar. Is there anything else I could use that I might have the ingredients for?

JessicaVonMaim
April 6th, 2009, 01:41 AM
My best friend used to have really greasy hair and said that it got so bad she would use Dawn (for dishes) to wash her hair. I really wouldn't recommend that though, I believe she said it also dried her hair out like crazy. Maybe you could try Sauve clarifying shampoo, I know when I have used that it takes out any sign of greasiness.

templeofvenus
April 6th, 2009, 01:49 AM
I have oily hair and I wash mine every day, I don't see a problem with that if your hair needs it. I use either kerastase specifique for oily roots and sensitised lengths which is not cheap it is sold in salons but it is very good for oil control, or I use a brand called simple shampoo which has no perfume etc, its just a mild cleansing shampoo, then only apply conditioner to the lengths of the hair not the roots as this makes it too greasy. Hope this helps.

Rebelkat
April 6th, 2009, 02:08 AM
:hmm:
Considering the information that you've given, I'd say that natural oils may not be your problem. I used to have this problem myself. I'd say that you could very well have buildup, that you could be using the wrong shampoo, or that you're not getting all of the shampoo or conditioner out of your hair when you wash. This was a big problem for me back a couple of years ago. Once I started using LESS shampoo, the problem wasn't nearly as bad.

Also, I would NOT recommend using shampoos labeled for oily hair. They tend to contain more detergents than ones for regular or dry scalps. The extra detergents often dry your scalp out, and so your scalp will produce even more oil to compensate. You would be better off using something for sensitive/dry scalps, because they contain less detergent. I know this from experience. The more you dry your scalp out, the oilier it will get.

Now, I use natural soap on my scalp. My hair still gets oily faster than most people, but it's not nearly as bad as it was. HTH. :redgrin:

Jeni
April 6th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Have you tried different shampoos, maybe one will work better then another. Also do you use conditioner, if so are you using it on the scalp? Are you sure your rinsing it all out? My hair use to look like that too when I wasn't rinsing all the shampoo and conditioner out. I find I really have to rinse my scalp, ALOT.

I have a very oily scalp 2, my hair only looks good if I wash it every day and normally by that night the roots are pretty flat. Your problem seems like more then an oily scalp if it is looking/feeling oily so soon after washing.

manderly
April 6th, 2009, 02:39 AM
If you aren't getting a LATHER when you wash, the shampoo isn't properly able to loosen and rinse out the excess oil in your hair.

I would recommend you first try to wash until you get a good lather in your hair. When my hair is extra oily for whatever reason, I generally get NO lather on my first wash. I rinse and I repeat with a second lather and I will generally see the foam and lather that you expect from an SLS shampoo.

Wash your hair multiple times per each shower and rinse thoroughly. See if that helps.

And welcome to the boards.

Jeni
April 6th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Man, I should really learn to read better! I just realized you said you have tried different shampoos.

I also missed the part about not getting much lather. I agree with Manderly, try washing your hair (unless your length is greasy too, try just washing your roots/ears up) until you get a good lather. Like Manderly, when I use to oil my hair I would have to wash a few times to get a lather/get the oil out.

princess
April 6th, 2009, 04:48 AM
I need to find a shampoo sold in regular stores like walmart, target for greasy hair. So a little background. My hair looks very greasy. Like it's dripping in oil. I wash it every other day or 3x a week. I used many different shampoos and I don't lather on a lot. I do use very warm water and I heard that this can cause your hair to be oily. If I do not blow dry my hair and let it dry naturally my hair is all clumped together and feels greasy and oily. If I do half and half blow dry a bit and then dry naturally then I still get the same problem. If I blowdry for 45 minutes I can get all the water out of my hair and it has more volume because of the heat and looks ok for about 12 hours and then looks greasy and limp again.

Eat protein rich food. Drink milk especially twice a day and avoid greasy food. This helps in controlling oily skin and hair. When you wash whether it is a pre oil soak or otherwise wash it really well so that there is no grease in the hair.

JamieLeigh
April 6th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I've been very happy with Suave's Clarifying Shampoo. It's cheap and clear, so I use it when I clarify (which is actually once every 2-3 weeks, since I've gone CO).

Kirin
April 6th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Just my two cents here. I would avoid clarifying shampoos. I have really oily greasyhair, and clarifying shampoos tend to make this worse. I also avoid Dimithicone in shampoos, and go cone free whenever possible.

I know the greasy problem, my daughter and I look like we slathered our hair in bacon grease, her hair, actually gets water repellant!!! That makes trying to get the oil out a real wrestling match.

Many will think I'm nuts (I'm not, I'm totally serious), try baby shampoo. Baby shampoo is slightly more alkaline than other shampoos, and really cuts the grease.

I've found with my daughter, if she "skips" shampooing for a few days, it makes it worse to get it out later. Many recommend cutting back washing for oily hair, and that your scalp will start magically producing less oil. This has not been our experience, and once the greasies set in, its like trying to remove a pint of motor oil.

MsBubbles
April 6th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Hi, I'm Ms. Greaseball, nice to meet you :). You have a barrage of advice here already...

I wash every other day but since my hair is so flat and my scalp is naturally oily, I spend the 2nd day with wet-looking hair put up in a bun. If I wash every day the ends turn to straw.

I am still on the quest to find something to stop this grease problem for myself. Here's what has helped me get about five more hours of not-stuck-to-the-scalp hair, so take it or leave it.

I switched from supermarket shampoo & conditioners to organic shampoo & conditioner.

I stopped washing every day and went to two whole days (I know you already do this).

I wash my pillow cases regularly.

And here's the biggie: I cut out wheat and sugar!!! Nothing to do with fried foods and burgers, fatty meats or potato chips, contrary to popular belief or lame Cosmopolitan articles.

Do you rinse your hair in the shower or in a sinkful of water? Maybe your hair isn't getting properly rinsed out?

spidermom
April 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I advise you to mix your shampoo with some warm water (save an empty squirt bottle for this) because you will get much better coverage over your entire scalp and hair by shaking your shampoo up in some warm water and then squirting the solution all over your scalp and down the length of you hair. You could try washing it twice, once from the top of the head, then bend forward and wash from the nape. Hopefully then your hair will then become clean all over.

As for drying afterward - a blow dryer is all right as long as you don't use the hot setting. Warm is fine.

Forever_Sophie
April 6th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Welcome! Have you tried Drama Clean from Herbal Essences?

ravenreed
April 6th, 2009, 02:20 PM
My hair looks less greasy since I stopped using shampoo all together. I switched to CO, I use Suave coconut conditioner, put it in my hair and let it sit while showering. I rinse very well with water and then an acv rinse. My hair still gets greasy by the end of 2 days, but it is no longer the overwhelming stringy look I got with shampoo. There are quite a few good threads here about that method so I won't go any further.

You may, like someone said, not be rinsing out all the shampoo in your hair. If I don't get all the shampoo or conditioner out, my hair looks terrible in about 12 hours.

AmandaPanda
April 6th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I wash every other day but since my hair is so flat and my scalp is naturally oily, I spend the 2nd day with wet-looking hair put up in a bun. If I wash every day the ends turn to straw.

I have the same problem washing every other day, too. I'm now washing the scalp area every day during the week and avoid getting shampoo on the length.

freznow
April 6th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Perhaps you are allergic to something in the shampoos you are using, or sulfates don't react the way they are supposed to with your sebum. (I wouldn't be able to tell you why, but I would think it's a possibility.)

Have you tried CO? Herbs? Egg washes? Shampoo bars? Catnip? Vinegar rinses?

Also, I find that if I comb every few minutes while my hair dries, it looks less stringy/more sleek than if I let it dry naturally. After wash day, my hair will have braid waves from my sleep braid, and guess what? With non-straight hair it's actually GOOD to have slight stringiness! There was a thread around here for curlies about gaining clumpiness or some such thing, and I was a bit appalled that anyone would want that, being a straightie myself. But the slight stringiness is 'disguised' in braid waves (it's called definition now!), so I don't worry so much.

free_hug
April 9th, 2009, 01:02 PM
the funny thing is, it was very similar with me: washed one day, it looked okay, then the next day it was already awful, and i washed again the third day - i simply refused to do it every day. the only thing that actually worked was to resist washing. i refrained from washing it for about 5 days, it was awful, literally dripping with oil, but when i finally washed it it turned out that it sort of switched off the oil producing glands, and it stayed pretty for days.

i didn't even remember the feeling :) in fact, washing it every other day turned out to be the problem and not the solution. resist. manage for one or two more days with hair unwashed, it'll work way better than any special products for greasy hair. and preferrably include a few radically long non-washing periods.

did anyone else have a similar experience?

MsBubbles
April 9th, 2009, 01:29 PM
the funny thing is, it was very similar with me: washed one day, it looked okay, then the next day it was already awful, and i washed again the third day - i simply refused to do it every day. the only thing that actually worked was to resist washing. i refrained from washing it for about 5 days, it was awful, literally dripping with oil, but when i finally washed it it turned out that it sort of switched off the oil producing glands, and it stayed pretty for days.

i didn't even remember the feeling :) in fact, washing it every other day turned out to be the problem and not the solution. resist. manage for one or two more days with hair unwashed, it'll work way better than any special products for greasy hair. and preferrably include a few radically long non-washing periods.

did anyone else have a similar experience?

No.

Not at all.

I wish.

Spreading my hairwashes further apart makes my scalp hurt, itch and burn, and it NEVER gets better.

You're one of the lucky ones :)

Anje
April 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
As you've probably gathered from all the above posts, there are three major possibilities of what's going on with you:

(1) Your scalp just produces a lot of oil, and it will no matter what you wash it with. (Other factors, like diet, age, and hormones, might affect it, though.) OR
(2) Your scalp is producing massive quantities of oil because it is somehow irritated by the shampooing, and if you switch to milder products, your oil production will decrease after an adjustment period. OR
(3) You simply aren't getting the products rinsed out properly.

If I were you, I'd start by eliminating #3, and if that doesn't fix the problem, I would work on eliminating #2 by trying several alternative washing methods, such as conditioner-only (called "CO" around here) and soap-based shampoo bars. If that doesn't solve the problem, you may have to resign yourself the #1, in which case you can wash more often and/or try lathering twice. Make sure you're using conditioner on your length (especially as your hair gets longer) if you're at this point, because all that shampooing could be quite drying on the older hair. Of course, you'll want to concentrate on shampooing the scalp and more oily bits of hair, in any case, since that's the part that needs it.

earthdancer
April 9th, 2009, 03:27 PM
No.

Not at all.

I wish.

Spreading my hairwashes further apart makes my scalp hurt, itch and burn, and it NEVER gets better.

Me, too; as I've gotten older I can go 3 days without shampooing in the winter, but I have bangs and wash them on days I don't shampoo my whole head. I tried going 4 days, but the itching and breakouts drove me nuts.

The sugar and wheat thing doesn't make any difference for me; I was on Atkins for 2 years and the amount of oiliness was the same.

Most of my life, I shampooed every day when my hair was above shoulder length, and every other day when it was longer. The 2nd day I always put it up in a braid or french twist. Having straight hair, the day after a shampoo I have no volume, and the additional oil makes my hair look unacceptable to me, and that's why I wear it up.

These days, I either suds up really well twice with Garnier Length and Strength, or once with a tablespoon of shampoo and a teaspoon of baking soda mixed in -- only on my scalp, not the length. If the shampoo doesn't suds up really well, I do it again with just shampoo.

I condition with the Garnier conditioner, only on the length, nowhere near my scalp or else a few hours later I look like someone poured oil over me.

By the way, I can't even shampoo in the shower because the force of the water hitting my scalp makes it very oily very fast. Same with the temperature--I have to use lukewarm water, never hot. On the other hand, cold water will not let your shampoo clean properly (thanks, Martha Stewart).

I know this is a lot of information, but there is a definite learning curve when it comes to finding out what your hair needs. I really hope you find a solution, since people in general judge the appearance of uncleanliness very harshly. Since you say it looks greasy even right after a shampoo, I would guess that you have conditioner build-up. I agree with the opinions to suds up really, really well at least twice the next time you shampoo, and cut down on the amount of conditioner. Make sure to rinse, rinse, rinse!

ravenreed
April 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Something else I have noticed is that when I brush my scalp hair with my bbb, it instantly makes my hair look really greasy, even if it looked fine right before. I am going to give up the bbb for scalp brushing and use is only from the ears down. It just isn't worth the frustration.

ravenreed
April 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I made it four days recently. Days three and four were dreadful. I put a hair scarf on and decided to ignore my hair. By the end of the fourth, my scalp was so itchy and sore! I give up. I will just make myself content with washing every other day.

No.

Not at all.

I wish.

ungratefulgirl
April 9th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Stop blowdrying! I mean that in the kindest way possible. The heat activates your sebaceous glands (oil making glands), to make more sebum ( that's the grease). After you blow dry it, it may seem as though your hair is less oily, that's actually because you're drying it out and stripping it. If you stop blowfrying your hair for a day and find that it still seems WAy too oily (as opposed to just plain old oily), it's probably because all those glands are still over producing. Your hair will need a complete rehab and detox of products and blowdrying. After about a month (maybe two), your hair will be cleaner, softer, dry faster on it's own, smell prettier, and be shinier). I blowdried for 4+ years, and after hair school, learned what the truth was! It was worth it to learn something from those hair choppers! Now that I'm growing it I avoid blow dryers like the plague. And my hair is really, REALLY oily! Plus I think people gotta love their natural textures...if we straighten and blow dry them away, it's kind like we're lying to ourselves, isn't it?? In order to know the truth about our hair and how it reacts (like a science project) we need to see hairs NATURAL reaction. I don't think we should use products, silicones on our hair if it's greasy(buildup central)...and no sulfates because they strip the ends. Try an organic shampoo from the wild oats section if you have a shaws supermarket in your area. Or try researching how to make your own rinses and shampoos (much cheaper) Some homemade shampoos use castile, vodka (for clarifying), tea tree oil also for clarifying, and rosemary.

earthdancer
April 10th, 2009, 09:38 AM
It occurred to me (in the middle of the night) that you may have a hard water problem. Thus the lack of suds when you shampoo. I live in the midwest. Hard water is very common here, and it makes caring for hair and skin difficult. The worst I've ever experienced was on a farm in South Dakota -- a nightmare after just one shampoo, dull, limp, and kind of oily-looking even right afterward! I had thankfully forgotten all about until last night.

You might want to go to a professional salon and have them wash your hair. It must be the way they soften their water. There have been a few times when my hair just looked awful and would not look good no matter what I did, but having it washed at a salon gave it a fresh start. Just don't let them near you with scissors.

At home, if you have trouble getting a good lather, it's almost certainly a hard water problem. If you can't afford a water softener, you'll have a more difficult time with your routine that otherwise. Maybe somebody has some helpful advice if hard water is the problem. You could wash your hair with bottled water, but that can get expensive, too.