PDA

View Full Version : Will CO wash out coconut oil?

whiteisle
April 5th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I'm going to slather my hair tonight with coconut oil before bed but was wondering if a CO wash will suffice tomorrow morning instead of shampoo to clean it.

GlassEyes
April 5th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Yes.

Also, it will clean out olive, jojoba, and castor. Also cocoa butter and shea.

And in any combination of those. : D CO is great for removing oils, but leaving enough so that the benefits aren't ruined completely.

whiteisle
April 5th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Oooooo.......which would be more moisturizing and beneficial, coconut or olive? They're the only two I have in the house tonight.

GlassEyes
April 5th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Depends. I'd do coconut oil first, then try olive another time.

Olive works well for me, but I have dry curly hair. I use both coconut and olive, and both are awesome, though I prefer olive.

It's really up to you. :shrug:

marajade
April 5th, 2009, 09:18 PM
It depends really on what the temperature is outside. I don't use coconut if its going to be cold, it gets kinda "waxy". I like olive oil better myself but I think its more of a preference than anything.

Peter
April 5th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I CO and use both coconut and olive oils. It washes them out just fine.

For my coarse, slightly wavy hair, I find olive oil is more moisturizing but can make my hair look greasy and stringy. Coconut oil doesn't give me stringy hair but it doesn't prevent tangles as well. Be careful about using olive oil, since I think it's lightened my hair a bit, and there are some other members here that have had it fade dye.

Most of the time I use coconut oil, and when my ends are getting dry and tangled, I will use a bit of olive oil on them.

hennaphile
April 5th, 2009, 09:26 PM
really?? CO?

I've tried shampooing, indian herbing, vinegaring etc and can't get coconut oil out.

olive oil is fine with a ton of shampoo, but just CO will do it??

oh man, this i gotta try!:cool:

ravenreed
April 5th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I use a lot of coconut oil, especially right before wash day. I use CO pretty exclusively, it gets it out perfectly!

Carolyn
April 5th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Yes CO will get out heavy oilings. It works great for me. I use all kinds of oils including coconut and EVOO. I like to do long CO soaks where I slather my hair with conditioner, cover with a plastic cap and a turbie twist and let it marinate a while. The longer the better. My hair can feel "squeaky" clean afterwards. I use VO5 or WR most of the time for CO conditioners. It really works. Don't be afraid to try it.

GlassEyes
April 5th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Just make sure you use enough to get rid of the oil though; just using a small amount like with S&C might not do the job...

whiteisle
April 5th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Would Suave Cocount conditioner work? I've got just a bit of the VO5 Kiwi conditioner left but I don't think enough for a CO wash.

marajade
April 5th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Would Suave Cocount conditioner work? I've got just a bit of the VO5 Kiwi conditioner left but I don't think enough for a CO wash.

I think it should work. . does it have cones in it? I can't remember, if that is not an issue for you though it would be ok.

whiteisle
April 5th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I think it should work. . does it have cones in it? I can't remember, if that is not an issue for you though it would be ok.

I think it is cone-free......I'm gonna go read it just in case I'm wrong though. lol

Shorty89
April 5th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I'd go with coconut. For some like me any heavier oil alone can be hard to remove and too heavy.

ravenreed
April 5th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I use the Suave Coconut for my CO wash and I like it better than the VO5. That seemed a little thinner and didn't work as well.

GlassEyes
April 6th, 2009, 04:13 AM
I've used coconut too, and yes, it will work.

My hair doesn't like it so much anymore (protein issues since my hair isn't as damaged anymore), but it used to love it, and it took out oil too. And I'm talking handfuls of olive oil on soaking wet hair.

Chanterelle
April 6th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Once I tried to wash cocnut oil with CO and it didn't work at all. OTOH peach kernel oil washed out quite easily with conditioner.