PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else On Wet Oiled Hair?

Natalia
April 5th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I have been reading and outside of deep treatments that get left on for a day it seems most people oil their hair when wet/damp. I started doing it this way but my hair REALLY doesnt like it, it got firzzy and horrible and stayed that way till i washed it out. The only one ive had luck doing this way was an EO infused jojoba from avdeda.

My hair seems to like it better after it is completly dry, and much more so if i do it at night before bed so it can soak in while i sleep. Any others out there like me? Or have i done something wrong?

Natalia

spidermom
April 5th, 2009, 09:24 PM
My dry hair gets along fine with oil, but I can also oil damp hair. So I do it either way, most often on dry hair the day before I plan to wash it.

Tresses
April 5th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I have been reading and outside of deep treatments that get left on for a day it seems most people oil their hair when wet/damp. I started doing it this way but my hair REALLY doesnt like it, it got firzzy and horrible and stayed that way till i washed it out. The only one ive had luck doing this way was an EO infused jojoba from avdeda.

My hair seems to like it better after it is completly dry, and much more so if i do it at night before bed so it can soak in while i sleep. Any others out there like me? Or have i done something wrong?

Natalia

If it's working for you, you're not doing anything wrong. It could be that different oils will give you different results, but you'll only know if you try. I prefer to oil my hair with camellia oil before towel drying. But, sometimes I use other oils when it's dry, especially to oil heavily the night before I wash.

Whatever works best for you! :)

eadwine
April 11th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Another one here. My hair likes the oil when dry, not a problem at all, but when I apply it when it is still wet it gets all crunchy after about a week.

marajade
April 11th, 2009, 04:30 PM
My dry hair gets along fine with oil, but I can also oil damp hair. So I do it either way, most often on dry hair the day before I plan to wash it.

If it's working for you, you're not doing anything wrong. It could be that different oils will give you different results, but you'll only know if you try. I prefer to oil my hair with camellia oil before towel drying. But, sometimes I use other oils when it's dry, especially to oil heavily the night before I wash.

Whatever works best for you! :)

I do the same, my hair likes olive oil as a leave in when damp. I also oil sometimes before I wash.

WindowDressing
April 11th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Learnt it here, I put the warmed coconut oil on fairly heavily and put on a wave cap, then a warm damp towel wrap for 30 minutes, and then switch to a lightweight disposable shower cap. Wear that to bed the night before I am going to wash more than just a light CO. It has made all the difference.

Yes, on dry hair. If deep conditioning, I put on clean damp hair and use heat 30 minutes. Coconut, aloe, and a bit of jojoba. I wear it up after rinsing well. I don't do that when I am going to be going out anywhere.

For that I CO and air dry.

Love and Hugs,
WD :)

Carolyn
April 11th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Would that be Aveda Beautifying Complex? That stuff is awesome! Yes it's fine to oil dry hair. I do it both ways with good results. You've discovered your hair doesn't like wet oilings but it does like oil on dry hair. That's good to find out things like that. Enjoy your ABC, I love mine. Did you know it's awesome on the face and hands too?

LHGypsyRose
April 11th, 2009, 08:29 PM
My hair only likes dry oiling also. Maybe, when I have tried oiling when wet, I just put too much oil in my hair, but the oil never quite soaks in good enough and seems to mostly end up in one spot. I don't like it. However I can oil as much as I want and the oil always soaks in when my hair is dry:)

jessie58
April 11th, 2009, 08:49 PM
My hair likes both wet and dry oiling. I usually use coconut oil oil but have also used a blend of coconut and shea. Also I use NightBlooming's salve which contains many different oils and that also works fine.
More seems better for me, I have coarse hair and it absorbs an awful lot of stuff.

longhairedfairy
April 11th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I oil damp, otherwise my hair looks greasy because the oil doesn't spread well, but for some people oiling dry works best. We're all different, so just do what works best for you.:)

ETA: I use camellia oil.

Natalia
April 11th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Would that be Aveda Beautifying Complex? That stuff is awesome! Yes it's fine to oil dry hair. I do it both ways with good results. You've discovered your hair doesn't like wet oilings but it does like oil on dry hair. That's good to find out things like that. Enjoy your ABC, I love mine. Did you know it's awesome on the face and hands too?

Hi! Yes im sure that is it. I think mine says aveda beautifying composition oil, maybe they changed the name?

And to everyone else thank you for all the replies and advice :)! Its seems there are a few out there like me who dont quite have hair that takes kindly to post shower oilings :p . As for the rest of you im jelous! Its so much more convienient and easy to spread when my hair is wet. Anyway it seems that camellia oil is competing with coconut as favorite, i will have to try that sometime :). Thanks everybody <3

Sceleste
April 12th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I find it easier to spread oil when hair is dry. I've tested oiling damp hair a couple of times but it just gets oily and clumpy at one spot. I also noticed when I oiled damp hair all of it doesn't get absorbed during the night.

I oil my hair dry almost every evening. I use a mix of shea butter and some liquid oil (usually coconut). I braid hair tightly before going to bed, and in the morning hair is very soft.

Natalia
April 15th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Ohh that sounds like a nice threat Sceleste! I just ordered my first tub of shea butter about an hour ago so it wont be here till next week but im looking forward to trying it :D.

enfys
April 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I don't oil wet or damp hair.

Whenever I've tried it doesn't seem to spread evenly because I can see where it is, ten my ends look all stringy and rubbish.

No matter what oil I'm using; coconut, jojoba or almond, it always works best on dry hair.

myotislucifugus
April 15th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I'm so glad this was posted! I've been wondering this myself. My ends always end up super crunchy if I oil when my hair is wet, but my hair loves oil when it is dry. I thought I was just odd.

aries
April 15th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I use camellia or jojoba oil on wet ends and jojoba or cocunut oil on dry hair. Don't know why my hair prefers this but as long as it's happy it's fine with me. Gives me many choices so I don't get bored using the same stuff all the timeto.

Curlsgirl
April 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM
My hair likes both wet and dry oiling. I usually use coconut oil oil but have also used a blend of coconut and shea. Also I use NightBlooming's salve which contains many different oils and that also works fine.
More seems better for me, I have coarse hair and it absorbs an awful lot of stuff.

I also use quite a bit and mine likes wet or dry also. I only use coconut oil. But everyone is different. At least you know now! Don't always assume it will stay like that though. Hair changes and it could be that in the future sometime it will like it both ways.

longhairedfairy
April 15th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Everyone is different, so what works for one person may be bad for another. Just do what works for you.:flower:

Natalia
April 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Thank everybody! Its good to know im not the only dry oiler out there :p. This post has given me alot of thing to try in the future if my hair goes and changes on me :).

<3 Natalia

Juanita
April 16th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Hi Whatever works for your hair is right for you. I use coconut oil on both dry and damp hair. Also use shea butter at really dry times of the year. and I even smooth leftover moisturiser on my hands onto my hair. I soaks it up.

Pony Girl
November 20th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I use coconut oil on dry hair as a preshampoo and sometimes put a little manoi oil on wet hair as a leave in.

Elenna
November 20th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I love coconut oil as a preconditioner. It adds some moisture to hair and yet washes right out. In my books this is great, since fine hair can easily become an oil slick. Afterwards, a infinitesimal amount of almond or camellia oil on damp hair works great too.

Qamar
November 21st, 2009, 12:35 AM
My hair does really well if I oil on wet hair, but the same amount of oil on dry hair leaves it greasy and stringy looking. Needless to say I only oil wet or damp hair. The important thing to do though is whatever YOUR hair likes. If its happier with oil applied to dry hair, then more power to you and your hair! I use either camellia oil or emu oil and my hair likes both oils equally.