PDA

View Full Version : No more denial, I have some serious hair loss

Eryka
April 5th, 2009, 08:03 PM
http://s584.photobucket.com/albums/ss288/ErykaDaemons/?action=view&current=hairloss.jpg

This has been going on for some time but it honestly never looked this bad until now. To be candid, I'm in tears. I don't know what is wrong with my scalp/body and I don't have any money to go to the doctors to find out. My scalp is super dry, hard, crusty and now red because I over scritched it, thinking it was some kind of build up. I've been using Head & Shoulders dandruff shampoo but that doesn't seem to help. My scalp feels like a piece of dried out toast, dry and having millions of small bumps.

To date, I've lost about 25% of my hair, the above photo just shows the incredibly shinking hairline. My baby hairs just wont come in and IF they do, it takes 6 or 7 months to get 1/2in of growth. That's just not normal for me. I used to average 1-2 inches a month and that was when I washed everyday with a harsh clairifying shampoo and treated it like crap.

I seriously don't know what to do. Hope seems to be diminishing.

spidermom
April 5th, 2009, 08:15 PM
So have you tried going back to the "harsh clarifying shampoo"? I'm so sorry to hear that you are having these troubles; it sounds so uncomfortable.

jivete
April 5th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I'm so sorry you are going through this. :grouphug:

Maybe you're having a reaction to something in the shampoo. I know shampoo makes me itchy and crusty and shed more hair.

kwaniesiam
April 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM
:grouphug: I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this right now :(

Have you been to a dermatologist?

Eryka
April 5th, 2009, 08:18 PM
So have you tried going back to the "harsh clarifying shampoo"? I'm so sorry to hear that you are having these troubles; it sounds so uncomfortable.

I did for 4 months, no change whatsoever. All this started when I moved overseas. Either something changed phyiscally in me or the water did something to my scalp. I think its me because even the area that isn't crusty or bumpy like my temples, the hair is still super fine and super slow growing.

I guess I should make a list of all the vitamin deficiencies that cause hair loss and test them one by one. And to think, I used to have nice hair. *major snif*

EDIT: Kwani, no I haven't because of lack of money. I would need to go to the regular Dr. first and then get a referral. May have to if this keeps up.

spidermom
April 5th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I came back to add: it may be something internal, not external. Checking for vitamin deficiencies sounds like a good start; mineral deficiencies also; protein.

Speckla
April 5th, 2009, 08:21 PM
That sounds like an allergic reaction or a scalp infection. I wonder if an antifungal cream would help?

Eryka
April 5th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Protien is probably the one thing my body gets the most of. I have something called Hyperinsulinemia, which is just a fancy term for being allergic to all carbohydrates. Kind of a more severe form of Celiacs Disease, from what I can find out. So I have to have meat as my source of calories, not carbs. Thing is, I was born with this, the only difference is now I'm not sick like I used to be.

EDIT: Speckla, I'm buying some Monistat tomorrow for hairloss anyways. If it turns out to be a fungal infection, its 2 very large birds with one stone.

amaiaisabella
April 5th, 2009, 08:25 PM
That looks painful! I'm sorry to see you are so stressed over this. Is there any way you can put Vitamin E oil on your scalp? From what I have read, it heals abrasions and keeps the area from gaining bacteria. I've put it on several irritated spots on my face and it has definitely helped- not only with healing, but with itching as well. HTH :)

Roseate
April 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Since you have metabolic issues anyway, I'd definitely get in to see the GP if you can swing it at all- major hair loss can be a symptom of all kinds of underlying medical problems. 25% sounds major to me.

Eryka
April 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM
That looks painful! I'm sorry to see you are so stressed over this. Is there any way you can put Vitamin E oil on your scalp? From what I have read, it heals abrasions and keeps the area from gaining bacteria. I've put it on several irritated spots on my face and it has definitely helped- not only with healing, but with itching as well. HTH :)

Thats what confuses me the most. During all of this, my scalp doesn't itch. Not one bit, it still doesn't.

EDIT: Roseate, yeah I think I will give the Monistat a month or so and see what happens. If all it does is help with growth and my scalp is still messed up, I go to the Dr. If Monistat cures both, it was a fungal infection.

amaiaisabella
April 5th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Thats what confuses me the most. During all of this, my scalp doesn't itch. Not one bit, it still doesn't.

Hmm! Well, I guess that's a blessing, albeit a minor one :) Still, the Vitamin E oil can't hurt. You could always combine it with a Monistat treatment (oil first, then the cream) and see if that helps.

Nat242
April 5th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I know funds are tight, but this could be a symptom of a serious medical issue - or it may require medical management. Is there anyone you can borrow money from? Something you can sell? Are there any free clinics you can visit? Can you find someone who will set up a payment plan for you?

Testing out a bunch of different treatments and vitamins might cost you more in the long run, especially if they're ineffective or if they mask an underlying problem that needs looking at.

I'm so sorry you're going through this, but I can't offer you any advice other than seeing a doctor. :grouphug:

Eryka
April 5th, 2009, 08:37 PM
A trip to the Dr might be in order. I know the most common thing for hair loss is a Zinc deficiency, which ironically is connected to diabetes, which is a kissing cousing to Celiacs/Hyperinsulinemia. Theres a test you can do at home with Zinc Sulphate powder and purified water. Depending on what you taste, it tells you if you're deficient or not. If I can score some of that powder locally, I think I will do the test.

Debra83
April 5th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I would definitely try a multivitamin for sure with b'50's to b 100's in it for stress. Your body experiences stress in all kinds of ways including medical, noise, worry, pollutants, etc., and you need to replenish ALL the vitamins especially the B's. With your added diet concern, you probably have to remineralize your body as well. That would be my first line of attack if it were me, and then I would seriously look at introducing liver (yech) into my diet at least 4 days a week, and supplement a good vegetable diet with vegetable drinks - either homemade juicing - or store bought (like v-8 or something)... I would also snack on meal replacement bars packed full of vitamins (DO NOT REPLACE MEALS THOUGH) just for added nutrition. Hope you feel better soon.

Eryka
April 5th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think a trip to the Dr. is in order. I'm likely to spend just as much if not more on testing things by myself. I just have real trust issues with Drs. I know in their profession they need to seem all knowing and unflappable, but this often times leads to a misdiagnosis. My mothers GP seems to be ok but, my mother is not a normal person (emotionally), so I don't know if I should take her recommendation.

But yeah, I need to get tested for Diabetes as well. It runs in the family and I was severely obese for much of my life, until recently. I need a full physical mainly. Joy.

Nat242
April 5th, 2009, 09:34 PM
A trip to the Dr might be in order. I know the most common thing for hair loss is a Zinc deficiency, which ironically is connected to diabetes, which is a kissing cousing to Celiacs/Hyperinsulinemia. Theres a test you can do at home with Zinc Sulphate powder and purified water. Depending on what you taste, it tells you if you're deficient or not. If I can score some of that powder locally, I think I will do the test.

I've done that test with liquid zinc. You hold it in your mouth for 5 seconds - if you taste it almost immediately you're not deficient, if it takes 4 or 5 seconds before you taste it (or if you don't taste it much at all) a supplement is in order for a while. Naturopaths can help you out with that - where I live health food stores often employ naturopaths who give some free advice. Maybe you could check that out?

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think a trip to the Dr. is in order. I'm likely to spend just as much if not more on testing things by myself. I just have real trust issues with Drs. I know in their profession they need to seem all knowing and unflappable, but this often times leads to a misdiagnosis. My mothers GP seems to be ok but, my mother is not a normal person (emotionally), so I don't know if I should take her recommendation.

But yeah, I need to get tested for Diabetes as well. It runs in the family and I was severely obese for much of my life, until recently. I need a full physical mainly. Joy.

I'm glad to hear you're going to the doctor. I know that it can really suck and some doctors are lazy or don't listen properly - and if you have to pay a lot for a visit getting second opinions is hard. Still, I think it's a good idea. Good luck!

naturalme
April 6th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I'm glad you're going to the doctor, it seems like such a major change to your hair and scalp. If anything, I'd be inclined to do nothing meanwhile - more cleansers or treatments might do more harm than good if you don't know what causes it. Take care and let us know how it goes.

Jeni
April 6th, 2009, 05:14 AM
I'm so sorry!

Nothing much to add except- You mentioned you were severely obese until quiet recently. Did the hair loss begin when you dropped the weight? I'm not sure how you lost weight/how fast/how much but loosing a lot of weight quickly can cause hair loss. I had a friend who had gastric bypass and she lost a good amount of hair in the few months afterwards (it did grow back once she stabilized the weight and got her diet worked out).

Glad your going to the doctor, it sounds like the best thing to do.

DragonLady
April 6th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I travelled a lot as a child, and often had things like that happen, but grew back if I didn't pick at it or mess with it. I think it's just changes in your body after you've made a major move. Think about it -everything around you is different. The soil has a different ph, the water has different minerals, even the air is different. And I think your face and hairline are the first places you notice changes because you look at it everyday.

I'd just calm down, go back to whatever was working, and give it a few months for everything to adjust. Meantime, maybe a bit of Monistat right on your hairline would help; even if it just made you feel like you're being proactive?

Anje
April 6th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I agree -- a doctor trip is probably in order. Meanwhile, it's definitely (and obviously) a good idea to be taking multivitamins, and perhaps supplementing further on things like B vitamins, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and D (often come complexed together, which is ideal). You're probably not iron deficient (especially not on a diet so heavy with meat) unless you have an absorption problem, so I wouldn't increase that past whatever's in your multi.

In addition to the monistat suggestion, you might want to try simply oiling your scalp, or even just putting lotion on it. If it's dry and crusty, irritated from scritching, oil can often feel fantastic, whatever other benefits it may or may not have.

BlackfootHair
April 6th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I hope you get it all figured out! For what it's worth, I think your hair is gorgeous! :D

marialena
April 6th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I did for 4 months, no change whatsoever. All this started when I moved overseas. Either something changed phyiscally in me or the water did something to my scalp. I think its me because even the area that isn't crusty or bumpy like my temples, the hair is still super fine and super slow growing.

I guess I should make a list of all the vitamin deficiencies that cause hair loss and test them one by one. And to think, I used to have nice hair. *major snif*

EDIT: Kwani, no I haven't because of lack of money. I would need to go to the regular Dr. first and then get a referral. May have to if this keeps up.

To me the whole thing looks like an allergy to hard water or perhaps combination of you normal hair routine and the water. These red spots that I see in your picture look like eczema. ( perhaps this clarifying shampoo or combination of products.) If you want to check out what causes this reaction there is only one way.Stop using what you usually used.

It would be better not to use harsh products, nor clarifying shampoos and such things because you don't know which one might makes a reaction on your skin.
It is better to use some chamomile to see if this will make this thing calm down.

On the other hand it is very common when you move to another place to loose hair; your body needs a little time to get used to the new environment, ( water, weather, food, stress etc.)

But in any case, if the problem does not stop with the simple tricks you have to see a doctor because it might be something else.

But don't panic because this won't help you.
:)

ShaSha
April 6th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I had a same kind of thing, major hairloss, dandruff.

I still don't know what it was, but stopping shampoos, shampoobars and conditioners worked for me.

At first I used just water, salt, vinegar and removing extra oil with cornstarch. Then I started using soapnuts, shikakai and other things to clean. Also oils, cassia and so on. None of the problems I had have reappeared.

Now I think that it might have been a reaction to some chemicals.

Amoretti
April 6th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I would do nothing right now; no products or anything. I'd let the sebum build up and restore the natural PH of your skin. Honestly, until you can get to a derm anything you try is a stab in the dark.

Yvaine
April 6th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I'm sorry you are going through this. I understand as I've had shedding/loss issues lately. I hope you find out what is causing the problem. When I was researching this issue, there were quite a lot of medical issues that can cause hair loss. I don't know much about the one you have, but it seems likely that it could be a factor. Hopefully once that is managed, your hair will come back to its regular thickness.

Someone I know has psoriasis, including on his scalp. It causes redness and scaling and sometimes itching. I don't know if it caused any hairloss for him because he shaved his head. He uses a cream from the dermatologist for it. The over the counter stuff like Nizoral can help soothe the area. I get something like that, but it causes major itching. When I use the anti-dandruff shampoos, it gets rid of the itching and peeling. Of course, I don't like the way my hair looks with those products, but I use them just three times a week.

JamieLeigh
April 6th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I would do nothing right now; no products or anything. I'd let the sebum build up and restore the natural PH of your skin. Honestly, until you can get to a derm anything you try is a stab in the dark.

I agree. Anything major you try might make it worse, if you don't know for sure what's wrong, and you'd be much better off spending that money on heading to the doctor, rather than all of the home tests. I really hope you get an answer soon, and in the meantime - :grouphug: I'm very sorry to hear that you're going through all of this. :flower:

charlotte meve
April 7th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I agree with Roseate, Check with the doctor the sooner the better for YOUR health and the health of your hair. Our hair is an indicator of our health and what goes on inside. Some clinics and hospitals have some kind of free care in these situations. So I would check that out. Sorry to hear about what your going through.

LutraLutra
April 7th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I really do think trip to the Dr. should be your first step. You need to find out what's causing the problem - sometimes we all need a bit of professional help. :flowers: Hope things start to get better for you soon.

Eryka
April 7th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the support everyone. I kind of had my little spazz out moment.

The hairloss did kind of start around the time I lost the weight, but my scalp was also getting out of whack too. If my scalp wasn't crispy, I'd just pin the hairloss on stress, moving, etc.

I do oilings several times a week and honestly they don't do much of anything, which worries me. I've done them with both Emu Oil and Coconut Oil, adding so much that if I put my head on a pillow directly after, my head would stick to it. Next morning I am still greasy and still crispy.

Bought some Monistat yesterday, that at least will help me FEEL like I am doing something. Who knows, the thing going on with my scalp may be fungal so the Monistat will help. If not, I can go to the Dr. and say hey I tried this and it didn't help, you can rule out a certain type of fungal infection. Oh yeah, might get some hair out of it too. :wink:

As for when I'll be going, I'm not sure. My mother got some refund from the government and she said she's going to buy 6months of insurance for me. While I appreciate the generosity, everything comes with strings with my mother. Granted, I have no room to complain see as I have 10USD to my name. So yeah. :rolleyes:

But seriously, thanks for the support and kind words, they make a tough day easier.