PDA

View Full Version : New Braids For Sleeping

Natalia
April 5th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hello all! I have been looking soe some easy braids to do for sleeping untill i can afford a silk pillowcase (lost mine :( ) and/or a nice sleep cap. I have tried sleeping in buns and i just dont like it no matter how its positioned.

I usually do a typical three strand starting at the crown but i cant stand the kinks it gives me even when i do it loose. My biggest problem is that i have alot of joint pain in my hands/wrists/elbows that just doesnt respond to treatment. I have the pain in all my joints but worse in those and i dont have anyone that can braid my hair for me. Most of the four strand ones ive tries are just to painful for me but i havent found alot of variations either.

I tried this one http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/Twist.htm last night but im not sure how damaging it is since you have to twist your hair. I did mine kinda loose and i didnt do it from the crown just at the nape. I know we twist our buns but i would think this would have alot more friction than a bun ya know?

So.....do you think its safe? Or have any other sugestions? And again i wanted to thank everyone for their patience. I know ive been asking alot of questions lately and some have been pretty newbie mistakes type stuff so i wanted to thank you all for your support and the wonderful careing nature of this board.

Gumball
April 5th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I think it's ultimately the difference you see in your hair when you do various things. I wouldn't sleep in a rope braid like that just because if I end up getting a fluffy rope braid from rolling around it then it can become a little bit of a hassle to undo. That being said it's also because my hair takes to shapes really well because of the type. I either sleep in a banded ponytail or a regular and mildly loose 3-strand braid secured with a nice hair friendly scrunchy.

Pierre
April 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM
My favorite braid is two Dutch braids, and I sleep in them; but I wear a Buff, so I don't know how much damage you'd get from naked braids. You could also try two buns, one behind or above each ear. That way you wouldn't have a big lump on the back of your head.

When you tried sleeping in buns, what did you fasten them with? Flexis are comfy to sleep with, but the Ficcares I have aren't.

Natalia
April 5th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I think it's ultimately the difference you see in your hair when you do various things. I wouldn't sleep in a rope braid like that just because if I end up getting a fluffy rope braid from rolling around it then it can become a little bit of a hassle to undo.

I didnt have a problem with it this morning but my hair is fairly well oiled right now so maybe that helped. I had less problems with my nape and back of my head this morning. Usually its all fluffy frizzed from the shorter bits working their way out durring the night (when i do the three strand fromt he crown) and really hard to untangle. It didnt seem to hurt my hair that i noticed but it was a little poofy from the twisting when i let it down but it wasnt tangled? Hmmm i shall wait and see. Thanks for the input :D

My favorite braid is two Dutch braids, and I sleep in them; but I wear a Buff, so I don't know how much damage you'd get from naked braids. You could also try two buns, one behind or above each ear. That way you wouldn't have a big lump on the back of your head.

When you tried sleeping in buns, what did you fasten them with? Flexis are comfy to sleep with, but the Ficcares I have aren't.

I sleep on my side (never been able to comfortbly sleep on my back, even as a baby!) so buns behind my ears sounds like sleeping on rocks, but a good idea for back sleepers :). When i tried sleeping in buns i used to use mini claw clips (eek i know, springs and seems galore) ot bif fabric fluffy scrunchies. I dont know what flexis or ficcares are ive been having to much fun in the CO/WO/Oiling threads to really look at the toys yet :o . But i will look around the board for them. Thanks darling *hugs*

Ponytale
April 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I actually do exactly what you show, then I take the bottom and twist the rope into a bun and hold it with Goodays hair pins (from Sally's). This method makes the ends blend in with the wave above it, and prevents me from having to use a band on them (I get a lot of damage from using a band at the bottom too often no matter what type it is).

I get really nice wave from this method. Oh--sometimes the waves are uneven, but then I just make sure it is put up.

Ponytale
April 5th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Another thing, I don't twist the hair in the opposite direction from the rope much as you would need if this were going to be worn as a style. Bunning the twist at the bottom prevents the twist from unraveling to much.

Natalia
April 5th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Ohh thank you ponytale! I didnt think if wrapping it as well, maybe it would be softer than a typical braided bun? Havent had much luck with those. Even if i dont sleep on it the twist wrapped into a braid sounds like it would make a beautiful texture when unravled! Thank you <3

Ponytale
April 6th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Actually, if you ant to wear this as a style, you can keep it looser and almost get a celtic knot effect if you pin it right (I can not do the real celtic knot bun--not enough hair for it to be as pretty as the other women I see on here). A rope bun is fuller for me than a braided bun too. My fine hair tends to lie too flat in the braided bun IMO.

Natalia
April 6th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Actually, if you ant to wear this as a style, you can keep it looser and almost get a celtic knot effect if you pin it right (I can not do the real celtic knot bun--not enough hair for it to be as pretty as the other women I see on here). A rope bun is fuller for me than a braided bun too. My fine hair tends to lie too flat in the braided bun IMO.

Oh anything that gives my hair a thicker appearance i'll try! Im not familiar with the celtic im sure ive seen it but not known what it was. Im currently going through all the styles in the article section so i will look it up :) . Thank again darling <3

UncommonTart
April 6th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I also sleep in a looser rope braid, with the braid starting at the nape. I find it more comfortable than sleeping an english braid. For some reason, I always wake up with a headache after sleeping with an english braid, but I don't have that problem with the rope braid. And I love that it sort of organizes my stubborn slightly wavy hair into nice spiral waves. The english braid just gives me kinks in the morning and frizzy poofyness later in the day.

I haven't noticed any more damage since I started using the rope braid for sleeping than before, but as Gumball said, sometimes they can be hard to undo if they get too fuzzy. (All my braids get that way if I sleep in them though, and this one doesn't seem to be any worse for it than other styles.) I just fingercomb it out gently in the morning and follow that with a wide tooth comb only if it's too messy to fix with my fingers.

Natalia
April 6th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks Uncommontart <3 good to hear from someone else who does the same withouthaving any bad results :). I agree about the kinky to poofyness you get with other braids. Its hard to tell with this one yet becasue my hair wasnt in its "normal" condition when i tried it. I'll have to try it when im not quite so oily. My hair is flat in top reguarless of oiliness (that just makes it strigy) so anything that adds poof to the length and ends makes me look like i used a crimper while shocking myself with the outlet!