PDA

View Full Version : Best Method To Wash Out Heavy Oiling?

Natalia
April 5th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Hello! Alright well since i dont wash my hair all that often anymore (once a week if im lucky usually longer) and i oil my length as it gets dry (every other day or so) i naturally get alot of build up. And when i can shower more often i do heavy oilings maybe once a week and im looking for a way to wash it out. Now I put this here instead of the mane forum becasue im trying to go no-poo and im looking for easy herbal recipes :).

I dont care if im still flat as long as im not stringy greasy. I havent tried anything yet so im wide open as long as it doesnt require any super exotic ingreedients or at least not too many. I would deffinatly like to try some new stuff but cash isnt exactly flowing right now, not even a week into the new month and im in debt from paying bills and a single grocery trip. I still live at home and we have a pretty typical health nut kitchen (organic/high veggie/whole grains and such) so anything in there is fare game.

I have alot of intoerances food wise but the few things ive tried dont seem to affect me topically. Although i have tried eggs on my hair years ago and if i recall my hair didnt like it. So outside of that i'll give it a shot. I have an abundant selection of both typical and herbal teas if that helps any, and a pretty diverse spice rack.

Im really looking like a grease ball at the roots and its strarting to spread but i dont think i will be showering for another 2 days or so. Im grateful for anything you have and please feel free to add any personal tips you have for hiding/dealing with the greasiness if you have any :D.

P.S. I have very dark brown hair and my new roots are tawny blonde so im holding off on trying cornstarch or arrowroot for now. Oh and coco powder is out becasue i have numerous free roaming pets and im not willing to risk their health <3

Carolyn
April 5th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I have very good luck with just an ordinary CO wash. I do a long soak of at least an hour when I have time. I use el cheapo light runny conditioners like VO5 and WR. Both are usually about a buck a bottle. I know that isn't herbal and stuff from the kitchen but it is cheap. Last night I did a heavy oiling with EVOO and TTO. I'm guessing I used maybe 2T of the EVOO. This morning I slathered on VO5 conditioner and baggied it all up for a couple hours. I have clean wonderful hair every time I do that.

Natalia
April 5th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Hmmm sounds good to me! I didnt think of that silly me! Im basicly CO anyways if it gets the sebum why wouldnt it do oil :p lol. I have some J/A/S/O/N boitin you think that will work? Its the only thing i have right now (non homemade) that doesnt make my head itch.

ChloeDharma
April 5th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Hmmm sounds good to me! I didnt think of that silly me! Im basicly CO anyways if it gets the sebum why wouldnt it do oil :p lol. I have some J/A/S/O/N boitin you think that will work? Its the only thing i have right now (non homemade) that doesnt make my head itch.

I've not used that one, although i'm eye'ing up the henna one from the J/A/S/O/N range. I do find CO washing is great for getting oil out.....and trust me, i SMOTHER my hair and scalp in it! I find giving it a good massage in and leaving the conditioner on for a long time like Carolyn does seem to be the best way of removing heavy oilings.
As for natural......at the moment i can only think of a paste of shikakai or aritha (reetha/soapnut). But i'm not sure if that's any use to you given finances and i have no idea if you have Indian stores near you?
I have heard egg can make a good shampoo, i used egg for conditioning once and it left my hair shining like glass, but the smell was vile and lasted for ages despite full length shampooings with commercial 'poo, plus you said they are not an option :p
Ooooh, starch.....i hear rice water is good for washing hair with, but i've never used it myself so don't know how well it removes oilings. I've heard water from cooking potatoes works well too.

Good luck :flower:

Carolyn
April 5th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I would think it would work. If that's what you have on hand give it a try. I don't care for conditioners with cones for CO but I don't think Jason conditioners have them. If it doesn't work just plan on bunning until your next wash day.

charlotte meve
April 5th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I have this really great book on natural personal care and it has some recipes in it for natural hair care.

Earthly Bodies and Heavenly Hair: by Dina Falconi

Basic vinegar rinse:for long hair:

it is 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (organic if you can)
to 2 cups of water.
I used distilled.

Massage vinegar into the scalp and hair and leave for a few moments, or dilute with water and pour this over your head/scalp catching the remainder in a bowl ( you will need two) and
repeat this a couple of times until your hair is well soaked. Rinse with fresh water.

You can also add some essential oil/s to the rinse a couple of good choices are rosemary,lavender,chamomile,sage
according to your you and your hairs preference.

I use some lavender and tangerine,frankincense, easy on the frankincense.

Teazel
April 5th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Im really looking like a grease ball at the roots and its strarting to spread but i dont think i will be showering for another 2 days or so. Im grateful for anything you have and please feel free to add any personal tips you have for hiding/dealing with the greasiness if you have any :D.

P.S. I have very dark brown hair and my new roots are tawny blonde so im holding off on trying cornstarch or arrowroot for now. Oh and coco powder is out becasue i have numerous free roaming pets and im not willing to risk their health <3

I've had good results from using baking bran (wheat bran flakes): just scrub it into your scalp hair with your fingers, let it sit for a while to to absorb the grease, then shake/brush it out. This operation is best performed out-of-doors. :D

The flakes are large enough that they come out quite easily without leaving dust in your hair. Using them can give me an extra day or two without washing.

DotDotDot
April 5th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Wow, I have almost zero luck getting heavy oil out of my hair with CO washing. I have no idea how you guys do it!

Basically the only thing I've found that helps is using less oil. I've found that the only time I really need to use tons of it is when I have super dry hair and it drinks it all up. That's what I do with my ends every week. I'll completely saturate them at night and they are much less greasy when I wake up in the morning. However, if I do the same thing with the rest of the much healthier length, the oil just sits on top of the hair and I absolutely cannot get it out. It's just as well conditioned when I use less, so that's just what I do.

Natalia
April 5th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks everybody! I am pretty sure i have bran around here and that vinager rince recipe sounds great! And unfortunatly the nearest indian store is on the far side of the county about 45 minutes from here and my body just cant take that much car time much less hunting through the store. I will keep it in mind for the future though :D

I think im going to try the leave in Coing method with the J/A/S/O/N/S i have next time i wash since my hair is so oily. If anyone is interested in a sort of outline of my plan i started a blog last night :) . I will update it and this thread with the results when i do.

Thanks again <3