PDA

View Full Version : Guilty secrets about hair!

Pages : [1] 2

LovingLife
April 5th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Ok I decided this board would be kind of cool, we can post our guilty things about our hair and give each other motivation to stop them.

Here's mine : When I first started mesuring I added an inch, and to compensate every month I would move my parting (measuring the front) so I would get another inch! I stopped and I'm shoulder length!:D

Speckla
April 5th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I hardly ever shampoo but people always compliment me on how shiny my hair is, how soft it is, and how nice it smells. sssshhhhh.....

Gothic Lolita
April 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I tell my boyfriend I wash daily, because he thinks otherwise it's unhygienic. I wash every 2-3 days, but he just tols me how nice it looks!

LovingLife
April 5th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I absoulutley love both of your hair by the way!

RancheroTheBee
April 5th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Haha. I have many.

1) I lie to my DBF about how often I trim my hair. Before I knew how much ironing damage I had, I told him to hold onto my scissors and scold me whenever I tried to cut off my hair. I bought new scissors and do monthly micro-trims. He'll never know. Unless he finds the scissors I've labelled "Em's Scissors For Hair - Do Not Touch." :shrug: It's just that he wouldn't understand. He's had long hair, but it was virgin and he's part-Native, so his hair is pretty resilient anyway.

2) I've had people ask me what shampoo I use, and I tell them (J/A/S/O/N or Down Under Naturals) but I neglect to mention that I only use it once a month. Whoops.

3) Speaking of self-trims, I haven't had my hair cut professionally for more than two years. I've been doing it myself this whole time. :p No real reason to keep it a secret, but it bring a little smile to my face when someone asks where I got my hair cut.

Heidi_234
April 5th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I scrunch my dry ends. A bad bad bad habit! I really can't prevent myself from exerting that crunchy sound from my ends! Help me!

Lamb
April 5th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I have a not-too-bright lamp right above my desk. It's light is super flattering, brings out my curls and shine, and makes my hair seem thicker than it is. When I am sitting at my desk in the evening, I pull out a little standing mirror, and spend some minutes looking at my own image, enjoying the illusion that this is how my hair looks all the time, in real life... :o Vanity, thy name is Lamb.

Jules diamond
April 5th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I check my hair for growth every day. Why won't you grow!?!

Sometimes when I'm stressed I'll bite the damaged tips of my hair. Yuck. It's my worst habit.

GlennaGirl
April 5th, 2009, 12:17 PM
My guilty secret doesn't start with hair, but it ends with it. I still co-sleep with my almost 3-year-old and my DH still co-sleeps with our almost 6-year-old. The big guy has autism, not that that's an excuse. I've been planning how to get them both into their room and sleeping together that way (there are two beds in the room, obviously).

Anyway...besides the fact that everyone in the world thinks that's kooky and that we're spoiling our kids horribly or giving them overattachment issues or what-have-you, the little one KILLS my hair. I blogged about it today. He snarls and knots my hair ALL night long. I confess that sometimes I've just let him do it in the interest of his falling back asleep. Some days I need my sleep that badly.

This morning I had to cut out a snarl. :( The boys will eventually grow up and I'll miss this stage in so many ways...but not in regards to co-sleeping and hair!!!

Speckla
April 5th, 2009, 12:22 PM
My guilty secret doesn't start with hair, but it ends with it. I still co-sleep with my almost 3-year-old and my DH still co-sleeps with our almost 6-year-old. The big guy has autism, not that that's an excuse. I've been planning how to get them both into their room and sleeping together that way (there are two beds in the room, obviously).

Anyway...besides the fact that everyone in the world thinks that's kooky and that we're spoiling our kids horribly or giving them overattachment issues or what-have-you, the little one KILLS my hair. I blogged about it today. He snarls and knots my hair ALL night long. I confess that sometimes I've just let him do it in the interest of his falling back asleep. Some days I need my sleep that badly.

This morning I had to cut out a snarl. :( The boys will eventually grow up and I'll miss this stage in so many ways...but not in regards to co-sleeping and hair!!!

This isn't about hair either but - you have to sleep. Whatever way works for your family is the best way for you. I'll tell you my little secret - I sleep in a separate room than my husband. He snores horribly, I'm a heavy mouth breather and toss and flop like a fish and suffer from chronic insomnia- neither of us gets any sleep if we're in the same bed all night. It hasn't hurt our marriage at all. We've been married for 14 years and going strong.

Speckla
April 5th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I haven't taken a shower in 2.5 years.
I've only combed my hair twice this year and probably that many times last year.

Gothic Lolita
April 5th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I haven't taken a shower in 2.5 years.
I've only combed my hair twice this year and probably that many times last year.

Not wanting to be noisy, but do you just wash with a wash cloth or how does it work?

You can't shock me with not combing! People get shocked around me when they see me combin my hair - and not damaging my hair in the process. Now that's shocking!

Forever_Sophie
April 5th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I have a not-too-bright lamp right above my desk. It's light is super flattering, brings out my curls and shine, and makes my hair seem thicker than it is. When I am sitting at my desk in the evening, I pull out a little standing mirror, and spend some minutes looking at my own image, enjoying the illusion that this is how my hair looks all the time, in real life... :o Vanity, thy name is Lamb.

SO cute! Esp. when I picture a lamb doing this LOL

As for me, I've joined those who lie about how [in]frequently they wash :o

Edited to add/correct: wash their HAIR! ;) ^^

Speckla
April 5th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Not wanting to be noisy, but do you just wash with a wash cloth or how does it work?

You can't shock me with not combing! People get shocked around me when they see me combin my hair - and not damaging my hair in the process. Now that's shocking!

Ok, I'll 'fess up now, I take baths daily. :cheese: I don't like standing up with water running down my back and all around me. I'm a sit back and soak in the hot suds kind of girl.:eyebrows:

LutraLutra
April 5th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Oh, yes, I lie about how often I wash (or don't wash) my hair. I thought it was just me who did that. :D

Speckla
April 5th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Oh, yes, I lie about how often I wash (or don't wash) my hair. I thought it was just me who did that. :D

I got to work often with damp hair and no one has to know that I just water wash and do a leave-in or cowash. I sometimes do 3-4 days without wetting my hair after a shampoo day.

enfys
April 5th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I lie about how often I wash.

And when people ask why I have ice hair I say it's because I use lots of conditioner. Then I worry they might get sad that they don't have nice hair after they condition it beacuse when it's blowdried it's still all frizzy....

Unofficial_Rose
April 5th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I hate being too dark in the Spring and Summer months.

Last year I got highlights before I'd managed to get all my henndigo out. Got green hair. :( Had to have radical haircut! Then in Autumn, henndigo'd again. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

This year I'm removing my henndigo again. I will be a lot more careful this time before I get highlights (if at all). But I may get some if the strand tests come out OK. No more hendigo, ever!

The reason my hair is never long is because I cannot pick a colour and stick to it! :rolleyes: When I used chemicals, it was easier to change it...so, back to chemicals (in due course).

jera
April 5th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Ok, I'll 'fess up now, I take baths daily. :cheese: I don't like standing up with water running down my back and all around me. I'm a sit back and soak in the hot suds kind of girl.:eyebrows:

I prefer baths too. :)

My guilty hair secret / problem is if I'm very nervous, I tend to hair twirl. :( Pulling a section of my hair from the roots and just twirling away around a twitching forefinger. Very bad.

princess
April 5th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I do not have any dirty secrets regarding my hair. Except I do not oil it properly. Why I am saying that is because I did a coconut oil soak this week and I have noticed the difference in my hair. It is so happy and soft and bounces about with volume. That when I have not let the coconut milk soak even for half an hour.

Does that not mean my hair has been unhappy in the past few years? Because I have not treated it well?

I am going to use coconut milk only in the future.

Copasetic
April 5th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Whenever people talk about hair care products and how much better salon brands are, I just smile and nod, because I only use Suave and my grocery store's brand of shampoos and conditioners.

smilinjenn71
April 5th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I blow dry my hair every other day with washings. I also use my curling iron whenever I feel the urge. Actually posted a little bit regarding the curling iron (heat styling) on my blog.:p

Speckla
April 5th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I wear my bangs straight when they're down and the rest curly. I use a blowdryer on HOT and use a round horse bristle brush...ssssshhhhhhhhh!

JessicaVonMaim
April 5th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I am growing out my natural color, but when people ask about it I usually don't tell them it is so that when I get it all back to the natural color I can dye it again without having all the buildup from past dye jobs :p

Natalia
April 5th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I like the feeling of running a comb from my scalp to my ends.....after detangling of coarse but still bad as i do it for prolonged periods of time :(. What can i say i just dont like finger combing that much.

Ive stopped caring if i go out to the doctors with stinky pits (not hair but it comes to mind :p)

I am notoriously bad for doling cheater buns. Where you start a cinnabun but pull the ends through either part way (loop) or all the way (pony). I feel the worst when i do it in the shower to keep my hair out of the way.

I sometime like to sleep with my hair loose.....and i lost my silk pillowcase....

I play with my already damages ends when im bored...which is alot nowadays. Thank god for LHC or my fingers would be in my hair all day instead of typing!

I know i have more but im starting to feel too guilty about these to continue...

viking_quest
April 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I can't lie to my parents on how much I wash my hair because they see it wet but my friends, that's a different story.

JamieLeigh
April 5th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure I have any guilty secrets...LOL. I'm pretty open with the fact that I don't have to shampoo more than once every two or three weeks, because I'm proud of the "Oh, but it looks so clean!!" comments I get from non-believers. :p

And I haven't been to a salon since.....you know, I'm not sure I've ever been. My mom always used to give me little trims, and she did a home perm on me in the 4th grade. Hmmm...

I'm honest in my measurements, too! :D

lizzyjo
April 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM
When I see a white dot I break it off. I know I should trim them off instead.

amaiaisabella
April 5th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I run my hands through my hair when it is down (usually everyday, if I'm home), to pull out all the loose hairs. I do this several times a day and have to vacuum almost constantly. Yikes!

Nyghtingale
April 5th, 2009, 06:03 PM
My guilty secret doesn't start with hair, but it ends with it. I still co-sleep with my almost 3-year-old and my DH still co-sleeps with our almost 6-year-old. The big guy has autism, not that that's an excuse.

* I also have an autistic son, he's 13, and he still climbs in bed with me sometimes.

* I mostly air dry my hair but sometimes I still finish off with a blow dryer.

* I like scrunchies. /shame

hennaphile
April 5th, 2009, 06:13 PM
i tug my hair at the roots when i'm nervous, BAAAD, especially since i've already lost so much hair:(

Speckla
April 5th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I'm secretly hoping 80s bangs will come back.. I can deal with hip length hair and cloud-high bangs. :)

xeternalsilence
April 5th, 2009, 06:23 PM
When I see a white dot I break it off. I know I should trim them off instead.
Ditto. :o

Katurday
April 5th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I fantasise about cutting my ends off ALL
the time. I am trying to practice self control,
and I see no splits that could travel upward,
but honestly, they're so crunchy that its
uberable sometimes.

I never oil my hair. I've tried Coconut, and it
failed so hard...And I'm terrified of EVOO.

I wash my hair every day. I'm gonna try to
stretch it this summer, which is a good time
for my hair to adjust since I won't have to
worry about impressing people anyway.

Tangles
April 5th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I *sometimes* dream about having stylable shoulder length hair with long bangs and layers, that I can wear stick straight one day, curly the next. :o

Kimberly
April 5th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I never bother to change the measurement in my profile when my hair gets a bit longer or I trim it a bit shorter.

DotDotDot
April 5th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I let people think I chemically dye my hair. I'm just tired of explaining the difference between dye and henna.

WelshLocks
April 5th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I always sleep with my hair loose.is that bad?I can't braid it all the way because of layers...

Speckla
April 5th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I store nuts in my hair for the winter.

smilinjenn71
April 5th, 2009, 07:05 PM
SPECKLA, you are a trip!:rollin:

Speckla
April 5th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Oh, guilty secrets...I thought it said squirrely secrets. ;)

spidermom
April 5th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I sometimes look at the back of my hair with a hand mirror, not to check the length but to (shhhhhhhhhhhh) admire it. Oh the shame; Lamb's got nothing on me.

JamieLeigh
April 5th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I always sleep with my hair loose.is that bad?I can't braid it all the way because of layers...

I don't braid at night or wear it in an updo, because I'm afraid of the breakage. I sleep with it loose, and I don't have a silk pillowcase!! But I'm not secretive about that - I actually post it in every thread that refers to sleeping and hair! ;)

Nyghtingale
April 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I sleep with it loose too.

spidermom
April 5th, 2009, 07:30 PM
How can you sleep with loose hair? Mine tries to strangle or smother me.

Nyghtingale
April 5th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I throw it off the side of the bed.

spidermom
April 5th, 2009, 08:06 PM

And it doesn't make you uncomfortable with the pulling? (Dumb question; I guess not, or you wouldn't do it.). If mine is wet, I will "puddle" it above my pillow, with another pillow wedged between bed frame and mattress to keep my hair from slipping over the top of the bed and hanging, which pulls and hurts.

jahof45
April 5th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I use a heavy plastic horse tail/mane comb to detangle my hair. I break human size combs. Also, I still use a plastic vent brush for updo's.

wintersun99
April 5th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I think I might be addicted to coloring my hair. Even now, when I've just had to cut it all off because of the damage coloring and bleaching has caused it. :(

Nyghtingale
April 5th, 2009, 08:21 PM
It doesn't bother me at all. I usually wash at nyght cause I have to get up so early for work. I wash it, don't brush, drape it off the bed in front of a small fan (on a nearby table, not close to the bed) and let it dry. In the morning it's dry and have nice waves to it. Then I finger brush it and go. If it's too tangled, I use my tangle teaser.

xeternalsilence
April 5th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I sometimes look at the back of my hair with a hand mirror, not to check the length but to (shhhhhhhhhhhh) admire it. Oh the shame; Lamb's got nothing on me.
I do that too. :o

GlennaGirl
April 5th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I wear my bangs straight when they're down and the rest curly. I use a blowdryer on HOT and use a round horse bristle brush...ssssshhhhhhhhh!

Ha ha! I use a curling iron on my bangs. :) I curl them under halfway and brush them lightly from under with a pick so they fall to the side/side-sweep.

ZaBasDa
April 5th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I miss my hair bleach just for the fun colors. It's a struggle to not bleach sections of it, and I know if I did I would want to change the design or pattern of the bleached areas. So I'm trying to stay away from it completely.

I wear my hair loose when I sleep, nor do I sleep with a satin/silk pillow case.

I only bathe when I wash my hair, which is usually every two to three days. I rather lie about this.

And I can't the get CO method of washing to work, at all. I wish I could.

wissles
April 5th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Whenever i notice a split end, no matter how small it is, i break the entire hair shaft off. :rolleyes:

Goddessey
April 5th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I run my hands through my hair when it is down (usually everyday, if I'm home), to pull out all the loose hairs. I do this several times a day and have to vacuum almost constantly. Yikes!

I do the exact same thing!:D It's a very tough habit to break.

Also, if I need to cut out a small knot and no scissors are around, I'll use a fingernail clipper.

viking_quest
April 5th, 2009, 11:21 PM

I do that a lot.

Arctic_Mama
April 5th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Hmmm... Not too many hair confessions from me, other than that I fantasize about having calf length hair and being 100 pounds lighter - looking fabulous and dreamy. Fortunately I am working towards both of these dreams :)

Oh, and I love wearing my hair down in public, even though it tangles mightily and wears badly compared to an updo. Bad me!

Gothic Lolita
April 5th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Most of my friends, apart from boyfriend, think myh hair is naturally very red. It is reddish naturally, but I enhance with henna glosses. But when I once, long time ago, brought up the henna subjec,t they were all grossed out and told me what a huge mess it was.
So, me the natural redhead, because the plant is natural!

JessicaVonMaim
April 5th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I *sometimes* dream about having stylable shoulder length hair with long bangs and layers, that I can wear stick straight one day, curly the next. :o

Me too! I sometimes fantasize about curling my hair and it staying that way for an entire day :p

Lucky
April 6th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I still sometimes use my hair dryer (maybe once or twice a month).

I haven't told DH that I'm growing out my hair (again, again, again). He keeps asking me when I'm going to get it cut again, but I end up changing the subject. At some point, he'll figure it out though!

longhairedfairy
April 6th, 2009, 02:51 AM
:rollin:Does that give a lot of extra volume?

I S&D in the living room and hope no one notices the little hairs that drop on the couch, floor, etc.

If I can't find scissors I use nail clippers. I do this with my eyebrows as well.

Phalaenopsis
April 6th, 2009, 02:53 AM
I also am a bit vain :o When my hair is freshly washed, I sometimes gloat because it's so shiny :o:o:o

LovingLife
April 6th, 2009, 03:04 AM
I really love this thread! I'm so glad I started it!

LovingLife
April 6th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Haha. I have many.

1) I lie to my DBF about how often I trim my hair. Before I knew how much ironing damage I had, I told him to hold onto my scissors and scold me whenever I tried to cut off my hair. I bought new scissors and do monthly micro-trims. He'll never know. Unless he finds the scissors I've labelled "Em's Scissors For Hair - Do Not Touch." :shrug: It's just that he wouldn't understand. He's had long hair, but it was virgin and he's part-Native, so his hair is pretty resilient anyway.

I twist my hair and trim off the ends, but I do it in secret. Because if the other members of the house saw those little bits of hair in the sink they would be sooo weirded out. :D

3) Speaking of self-trims, I haven't had my hair cut professionally for more than two years. I've been doing it myself this whole time. :p No real reason to keep it a secret, but it bring a little smile to my face when someone asks where I got my hair cut.[/quote]

Don't worry! Teehee, I actually want to become a long hair hairdresser, because then I could do all of these beautiful styles we all have without people in my salon immediatley going 'you want a trim?'

I scrunch my dry ends. A bad bad bad habit! I really can't prevent myself from exerting that crunchy sound from my ends! Help me!

Maybe you should add a little olive oil to the ends so it won't make a crunchy sound. :cheese:

I do that with my bathroom mirror because the light's so flattering... I even take pictures there sometimes! :confused: oops

I used to but I think that stops with the relization that 'It's going to grow, I may as well just treat it right'

[/quote] Sometimes when I'm stressed I'll bite the damaged tips of my hair. Yuck. It's my worst habit.[/quote]

I was thinking maybe you could start a little chart or something, like 'sleep in your bed for five days and you get a treat, and also you could have sleepovers every weekend.. to every month and slowly thinning out.

Thanks for all of these!

LovingLife
April 6th, 2009, 03:18 AM

I lie about how often I wash.

Welcome to the club! I have to say I do it every other day, when its really only every saturday.

And when people ask why I have nice hair I say it's because I use lots of conditioner. Then I worry they might get sad that they don't have nice hair after they condition it beacuse when it's blowdried it's still all frizzy....

Don't worry, they'll figure out eventually. My bestfriend felt my hair and went 'Wow your hair is so soft, mine is no where near that soft' and I took it as a compliment. But she mused about it all day and I didn't have the heart to tell her,
' Burning your hair with a flat iron every week might have something to do with it...':p

LovingLife
April 6th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Whenever i notice a split end, no matter how small it is, i break the entire hair shaft off. :rolleyes:

Please don't do that!:D:cheese:

Natalia
April 6th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I only bathe when I wash my hair, which is usually every two to three days. I rather lie about this.

I do the same thing when its someone i can hide it from. These days im just to sick to shower more than once every 7 - 10 days body or hair.... yeah its ok if you think its gross :p thats life just :D and roll with it :)

You SHOULD admire it! When i say your pics (especially the one in your siggie) my first thought was WOW, follwed by I adore the texture, and it looks so healthy and beautiful. I admire all the pictures i see on here but yours and nightshade's in particular are just glorious to me :D !

lailmil
April 6th, 2009, 05:22 AM
I always lie to my boyfriend about the price (and the number) of hairtoys :rolleyes:

Nyghtingale
April 6th, 2009, 05:37 AM
I twist my hair and trim off the ends-I do this too.

LovingLife
April 6th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Woohoo! All of us!

Tap Dancer
April 6th, 2009, 05:54 AM
* If I see a split and there are no scissors near me, I'll bite the end off. Otherwise, I'll never be able to find that one strand again.

* I comb and brush from root to tip. I don't like going from the bottom up, like it's recommended.

* It's not a secret here, really, but I color my roots every 4 weeks with a permanent dye. I don't have "roots" since I use a color that matches my hair; I just hate those white hairs and I do what I can to cover them up.

LovingLife
April 6th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Teehee! Why don't you try carrying scissors with you?

Chanterelle
April 6th, 2009, 06:09 AM
I blowdry my hair after each wash.

paper
April 6th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I sleep with my hair loose.

I break splits off sometimes instead of cutting them.

I lie about how much hair toys cost me. If someone asks, I always tell them I bought it at Walmart for $5. :o

I let my dog play with my hair. She likes to hide her head under my hair and she chews on my hair, and I don't care. :p

Isilme
April 6th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I sleep with my hair loose too often. And when I'm in hurry for something I don't bother to comb it, I just put it up. I fantasize about bleaching a strand and dye it purple.
I secretly wish BF would let me give his hair a REALLY good trim, and then let me henndigo his hair pitch black (it's already dark brown) he abuses his hair and I cringe when I see it. I try not to say anything, but sometimes I do and it's like this: :horse:

marzipanthecat
April 6th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I don't do much - I wash it and brush it and that's about it. People think I spend ages looking after it. I feel I ought to tell them I do! (even though I don't...)

BlackfootHair
April 6th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Hmmm.......let's see.....

I love using shampoo and conditioner every day. The way it smells, feels...etc...
I sometimes use the blowdryer on a medium setting to quickly and non-chalantly dry my hair in the winter (not as bad as trying to straighten it out mind you)
I like coney conditioners.
I like using demi permanent color in my hair
If my kitty doesn't come to bed right away, I'll play with my hair to relax and go to sleep.

CaraLynn
April 6th, 2009, 07:20 AM
*I* haven't brushed my hair in a year and my family thinks I'm insane....but I do sometimes let my mom brush it because it makes her happy. Even though it goes pooooof afterwards. :(

Heidi_234
April 6th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Maybe you should add a little olive oil to the ends so it won't make a crunchy sound. :cheese:

My hair drinks it all up. Sometimes I end up oiling my ends with coconut oil few times a day due to the dryness and the crunchiness. :shrug:

Heavenly Locks
April 6th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Sometimes I DON'T tell people my hair care secrets when they ask why my hair is so nice, (Learned mostly here at LHC) because I want to have better hair than them. I will say that it's some fancy S&C or something. :o

peachrose
April 6th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Sometimes I DON'T tell people my hair care secrets when they ask why my hair is so nice, (Learned mostly here at LHC) because I want to have better hair than them. I will say that it's some fancy S&C or something. :o

Also guilty of this one occasionally... Especially when it comes to hair toys and braid waves and such. I mean we spend hours researching this stuff, can't give it all away for free!

Centeredgirl1
April 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I spend over 2 hours a day taking care of my hair:

*I massage and twist my hair nightly (1 hour and 30 minutes)
*I carefully untwist, massage and style my hair in the morning (30 minutes)
*I hang upside down every morning (hoping to stimulate follicles)
*I spend $40 a month on Australian Fish and Cod Oils to improve my skin and hair.
*I work out vigorously 4X a week for the sole purpose on increasing circulation to make my hair grow and stay healthy.

jewelotn
April 6th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Anyway...besides the fact that everyone in the world thinks that's kooky and that we're spoiling our kids horribly or giving them overattachment issues or what-have-you, the little one KILLS my hair. I blogged about it today.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. =)

And I learned real quick that most people shouldn't be given the details when it comes to kids and sleep. People get way too judgemental & (sorry) speak about it like they're experts, esp the ones with no kids! Funny how that is....

If someone asks me or DH how the kids sleep, we answer: kids are sleeping great, thanks!

My DD1 goes to sleep just like her cousins who sleep in their own rooms with the same ease: Brush teeth, read a book, 10 min later = asleep

LaurelSpring
April 6th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I sometimes use fake hair to bump up my circumference.

xeternalsilence
April 6th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Sometimes I really miss my hair straightened and that fake shine and smoothness it gave me. :(

CrystalStar
April 6th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I brush my hair at least 6 times a day (I really have to stop but I get so paranoid if I don't!) :p

ancilla
April 7th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I stopped S&Ding because it doesn't seem to help much. I'm going to start up again soon though. Maybe even have a before bed routine where I find 10 splits and cut them off.
I just get really overwhelmed with the amount I have.

I also slept with my hair loose last night! for the first time in months. my hair seemed okay though since I kept it tucked over my shoulder.

LovingLife
April 7th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I like the feeling of running a comb from my scalp to my ends.....after detangling of coarse but still bad as i do it for prolonged periods of time :(. What can i say i just dont like finger combing that much.

Ive stopped caring if i go out to the doctors with stinky pits (not hair but it comes to mind :p)

I am notoriously bad for doling cheater buns. Where you start a cinnabun but pull the ends through either part way (loop) or all the way (pony). I feel the worst when i do it in the shower to keep my hair out of the way.

I sometime like to sleep with my hair loose.....and i lost my silk pillowcase....

I play with my already damages ends when im bored...which is alot nowadays. Thank god for LHC or my fingers would be in my hair all day instead of typing!

I know i have more but im starting to feel too guilty about these to continue...

Teehee I do all of these! :D

Eireann
April 7th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I confess that I shamelessly and premeditatedly teased the back of my hair to make my chignon look more "stylish." shudder: I have to admit. . .I like the way it looks! I wouldn't do it all the time, but I've been bored with my hair lately and I figured it was better than doing something drastic. I'm half way through the 2 week wait before I change the color.

RustedAngel
April 7th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I haven't had a trim in like 6 months. The only person I trust to trim my hair is my sister in law, and she moved to Illinois with her husband :( I know I should learn to trim my ends myself but I haven't yet.

Also, I headbang, and it's horribly tangling and tends to cause shedding because of how fine my hair is. It's not that big of a deal since one of the primary reasons I grew my hair was to be able to headbang, but I still kind of feel bad about it.

Speckla
April 7th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I combed my hair today - dry - no conditioner.

xeternalsilence
April 7th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I know deep inside that the reason why my bangs are growing so slowly is because I constantly force them into behaving via heat, but they look so bad when I don't. :(

camirra555
April 7th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Guilty! I do that too

i tug my hair at the roots when i'm nervous, BAAAD, especially since i've already lost so much hair:(

Sha-na-na
April 8th, 2009, 05:24 AM
* * I like scrunchies. /shame

Whaaaat! OMG, that IS a secret! :D

Monsterkitti
April 8th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I trim slpit ends with anything I have to hand, scissors, penkife scissors, teeth :s

I also lie about how long I go between washes, I can easily got 7days but that sounds icky to most people.

I found out what works for my hair and then got lazy and stopped the oiling, regular monistat and even vitamins :( Must make more of an effort! :)

Loviatar
April 8th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I am happier with my hair since I had it chemically stripped and permanently dyed than I was with my natural colour or with henna - even though I'm now having to use 'cones.

It shouldnt be a secret, but I know permanent dye and cones are minority joys here.

OH and I always forget to take my vitamins. But that's more of an annoyance than a secret. I have to take them with food and I always forget. If they could be taken any time, it would be easier.

Solange
April 8th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I never post pictures of my hair in a braid, because I hate how much thickness I lost (meds, stress, getting older too, I suppose). When my hair is down, it looks thicker than it really is. I've been trying to fool you all, but I may as well come clean in the "guilty secret" thread, lol.

MsBubbles
April 8th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I think I might be addicted to coloring my hair. Even now, when I've just had to cut it all off because of the damage coloring and bleaching has caused it. :(

I can relate, but my 'addiction' is mainly to do with not looking tired and mean even when I'm not, but looking bright, put-together and upbeat, when my hair is lighter around my forehead.

And I learned real quick that most people shouldn't be given the details when it comes to kids and sleep. People get way too judgemental & (sorry) speak about it like they're experts, esp the ones with no kids!

This is so true!! My son slept curled up on my chest for many months, then he graduated to sleeping between me and my then husband, kicking us all night long for about 2 years. Now my son is a strapping, level-headed and healthy 14 year old.

That's absolutely hilarious, and I can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind with some of my friends, too, especially if they have thicker hair than me (not too hard to beat!).

My guilty secret that I just blogged about...drumroll...I couldn't take looking so beat and mean all the time, so last night I combed low-level peroxide through some of my strands near my scalp and underneath to brighten myself up. It's a bit too golden right now but when I spend some time in the hot Georgia sun it'll probably go white in places. I will need to protect the old blow-fried ends though. I am willing to accept the damage that may come from this 2 years from now. :o

Norai
April 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
A year before I discovered these forums, I broke the handle off my plastic paddle brush while brushing my hair. How's that for ripping and tearing?

Hairytale
April 9th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I don't wash my hair. :D
But currently I'm really content with how it looks and behaves, so...I'm going to continue! :)

Hypnotica
April 9th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I still think that my hair isn't red enough.
I want to be a iii more then anything.
I use henna mainly because the red chemical colours fade on me. If they didn't, I would probably stop using henna.
I think most updo's look funny on me and I'm never really content with my pics/videos.

winter_star
April 9th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Whenever I spot a split end in my hair I break it off with my fingers. I could go for hours doing this. Very bad, I know!

AlleyKitten
April 9th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I haven't gotten a trim since last January, and my ends are getting really gnarly.

I only wash my hair every other week.

I keep using the conditioner that make my back break out because my hair likes it so much.

I secretly get really annoyed when friends of mine talk about how they used to have long hair, especially when they're telling me what to do or "one-upping" me. I want to tell them "Well, maybe you *used* to have long hair, but mine is long RIGHT NOW so shut up!"

I can't use hairpins!

plainjanegirl
April 9th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I can't figure out how to use hairsticks except for a chinese bun.

My hair still likes cones.

When I do make buns I use little bobby pins. I have used them for years.

I wear my hair in a braid or braids alot.

FrozenPrincess
April 9th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Let's see, guilty hair secrets...

I don't take vitamins.
I sleep with my hair loose and don't use a satin pillowcase.
Often i wear my hair down when i go out, even if its windy.
There are only 4 things i can do with my hair, up in a ponytail, down and dangerous, bee butt bun or woven bun.
I'll only oil my ends or trim split ends maybe once every 2 months when i remember.
Theres probably more, but that will do for now:p

atlantaz3
April 9th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I trim my splits at work with work scissors!
I forget to SMT and it really needs it.
I sleep with it loose and no satin pillow case.
If I can't find a scrunchie and want the convertible top down I end up with a huge mess of hair. (This one I really try not to do - takes to long to get the tangles out.)
I am developing a hair stick habit.
I lose track of time when trying to get new hair styles to work. An hour later I'm wondering why this didn't work and why I didn't go to bed!

andrea1982
April 9th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I let people think I'm a natural red-head. (henna is natural, right?) I have pale skin and green eyes, so it's believable. When I had my Son (c-section) I woke up from the anesthetic and at first I felt like I had problems breathing. It was just from irritation from the breathing tube, but the Dr. and nurse thought I might be having an allergic reaction. I remember hearing the Dr. Say "she's a red-head..they're more prone to allergic reactions.." and I was saying in my drug-induced state " it's not real, it's henna".

kali_shey
April 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM
When I'm being incredibly lazy, or superbusy, or both, I keep my hair in its braid for days. I rebraid it in the morning (I've got side-bangs/fringe and layers around my face and they fall out of the braid during the night) and leave it. I can go on for days without even bothering to comb it and when I finally do, enough hair comes out for me to build a smallish to medium-sized dog. XD

Peter
April 9th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I run my hands through my hair when it is down (usually everyday, if I'm home), to pull out all the loose hairs. I do this several times a day and have to vacuum almost constantly. Yikes!I thought I was the only one. :o

LovingLife
April 11th, 2009, 02:56 PM
[quote=Hypnotica;539909]I still think that my hair isn't red enough.
I want to be a iii more then anything.
I use henna mainly because the red chemical colours fade on me. If they didn't, I would probably stop using henna.
quote]

Your hair is beautiful! It's a lovely red and I love its shinyness!

:thud:

practikalmagik
April 11th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I wish I was a natural redhead, more then anything in the world.

I wanna grow my hair so I look more girly, as I have a rather masculine face and I think if I wasn't so well endowed in the chest I would be mistaken for a guy :s

flowers-n-waves
April 11th, 2009, 03:39 PM
i don't brush my hair because it ruins my waves

dearladydisdain
April 11th, 2009, 03:45 PM
These only make me feel guilty in the LHC world. :lol:
I am no longer trying to grow. I've had thigh length hair and I like it short right now.
I have layers.
Sometimes I blowdry.
Sometimes I flatiron my front layers.
I get cuts at the hair salon regularly.
I use a plastic brush.
I use cones. And shampoo.
I use a smoothing serum - with cones!
Occasionally I use a root booster. :lol:
I wash every other day. I try not to wash every day but it happens sometimes.

I still have relatively long and thick hair, though. And it's very soft! I like it much better than when it was classic-length and I was COing and obsessing.

Seraphina
April 11th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I brush my hair when it is wet.
One time I went for a week without combing my hair in any way.I wasn't sick,I was just too lazy to do it.
Occasionally I let the hairdresser blowdry my hair after a trim.

LadyLongLocks
April 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I use :sun:Sun In a couple times a month, but I only use 10-15 mists and activate with the hair dryer. I don't consider this coloring my hair. I am a natural blonde, so this just boosts the shade gradually. I used to keep it a secret, but now I am open with it! I have done this for 25+years!

cynthia.md
April 25th, 2009, 04:15 AM
I sleep with it loose and never use a silk pillowcase.
I sometimes comb from the roots down..
I sometimes use cone conditioners
I never S&D even though I should.
I lie about how often I wash it because I feel like every other day/3x a week is too often.
I used to dye my hair black and tell people it was natural (half chinese so it's believable)
I blow dry quite often
I leave it my hair wet in a towel for ages.
Sometimes I borrow my sisters ball tipped brush and rub my scalp because the balls feel great on my head!

I have a lot of guilty secrets!

Flynn
April 25th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I always use a 'coney shampoo and conditioner (oi, they're the only ones I've ever found that don't irritate my scalp!) and I wash my hair every second day -- more frequently than I ever used to. I don't use a satin pillowcase, because it seems like people will think it's somehow kinky.

Kiraela
April 25th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I once left my hair in the same braid for two weeks. I was really depressed and refused to take it out, do anything to it.. I didn't even shower the entire time. That was my lowest point :(

I lost my comb 2 months ago, and I've been brushing every day since.

I don't put my hair in updos nearly often enough, instead just tailing it and leaving it, even though I know leaving it in a ponytail will damage it even more than leaving it down.

I sleep with my hair down half the time, and I have cotton sateen pillowcases, that I know aren't nearly smooth enough. (We use an air matress, and there's about 4-6" between the bed and the wall, so I just drape my hair over my pillow and down the end of the bed.

I also bite splits, sometimes. I've stopped doing this as much since I found a good pair of hair cutting scissors in a Dollar Tree, of all places, and now carry them with me everywhere.

I sometimes worry that my hair is causing, or at least aggravating, my migraines. I also know that I won't cut it short, even if it turns out that's the main issue! I can medicate my headaches and make them go away. There's no such thing as enough medicine to not care that my hair is short.

ETA: I would totally shave my head completely bald(even my eyebrows), if that meant it would grow back red, like Sam-I-Am's or RedJezebel's.
I also have jealous fits over those ladies' hair, btw. WANT!!

But I'm too broke and too scared to try henna. *sigh*

Flynn
April 25th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I sometimes worry that my hair is causing, or at least aggravating, my migraines. I also know that I won't cut it short, even if it turns out that's the main issue! I can medicate my headaches and make them go away. There's no such thing as enough medicine to not care that my hair is short.

I know mine does, (aggrevate them, that is) and lopped it all off to fix that! Then my hairdresser got popular or something, and I couldn't afford the maintenance haircuts any more, so I kind of dropped that idea, and let it grow back. I find that the best thing to do with my hair when I've got a migraine, or got one developing, is a loose braid at the nape of the neck pulled over one shoulder. It takes a lot of weight off the scalp.

Kiraela
April 25th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Flynn: I do that quite often too, and it does, indeed help. Then again, it may just be that it's out of my way and not frustrating me, too.

Flynn
April 25th, 2009, 09:45 PM
*Laughs* If it helps, it helps; I wouldn't worry too much about exactly why! XD

LovingLife
June 9th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Let's see, guilty hair secrets...

I don't take vitamins.
I sleep with my hair loose and don't use a satin pillowcase.
Often i wear my hair down when i go out, even if its windy.
There are only 4 things i can do with my hair, up in a ponytail, down and dangerous, bee butt bun or woven bun.
I'll only oil my ends or trim split ends maybe once every 2 months when i remember.Theres probably more, but that will do for now:p
Really? Its soo shiny!

Torrin Paige
June 9th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Oh, Lamb and Spidermom, I am ever so vain about my hair. I won't even leave the house unless I think it is looking good. I feel like I have some sort of reputation to uphold at the flipping grocery store (which is about the only place I ever go with the exception of the bookstore and Wal-Mart...lol.) I also have been known to just pet and gaze at it in the mirror with a smile on my face...I feel guilty about it sometimes, but not all the time. My hair is my vanity.

My dirty secrets? I unabashedly love -cones, I blowdry my hair at least twice a month (sometimes more) and will sometimes use a flat iron on it. Actually I would flat iron more often if it didn't take so flippin' long to do it. Oh and I also have convinced my hubby to grow out his hair just so I can play with it. He is currently getting teased mercilessly by his friends (he's 35 and they think he is too old for "teenager" hair) and he mentioned something about cutting it...so I totally made myself cry to prevent that happening. I do NOT feel guilty about it, either. Mostly.

Firefly
June 9th, 2009, 10:25 AM

If I had your hair, I would too!

Firefly
June 9th, 2009, 10:29 AM

But what about the spiders? :uhh:

Seriously, I've thought of doing this, but I worry about creepy crawlies getting into my hair if it's hanging dangerously close to the floor!

Runzel
June 9th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Seriously, I've thought of doing this, but I worry about creepy crawlies getting into my hair if it's hanging dangerously close to the floor!

Hehe, I sleep on the floor rather often. If a spider gets on me I instinctively* grab it and toss it to the side (without hurting it, amazingly!) I then usually turn on the light and transfer it to another room. :D

*(I developed this instinctive reasponse as a young child living in an undeveloped country filled with bugs. The first time it happened was when a grasshopper was on my face, and, still dreaming, I grabbed it and squished it. I felt so horrible afterwards that from then on, even if I was dead asleep when it happened, the bugs were unharmed.)

fishwich
June 9th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Chiming in as a proud member of the Vanity Brigade, i.e. "LOOKIT MY PROTEINS I MADE THEM MYSELF"

I let my hair down when I'm walking home from work across a nice windy bridge just so it'll blow dramatically. Every time a car honks or slows down to look at it, I glow. :D

(I also slack heavily on the hair babying front. Vitamins? Silk pillowcase? Horn comb? Pfeh, that's money that could go toward sticks and clips!)

Nevermore
June 9th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I no longer envy other peoples' hair. While that's probably a good thing for my mental health, I feel like a giant meanie for it :p I admire other peoples' hair or their shine or the length, but I wouldn't trade my hair for theirs if I could.

I've started using diluted shampoo (a nickel to quarter sized drop shaken in about 13 oz of water) everyday and I don't think I'll stop that. I'll also never use undiluted shampoo again-the diluted cleans better. That's a bigger hair secret to non-LHCers though.

abritta3
June 9th, 2009, 11:49 AM
My worst habit is also checking for growth every day...it makes me crazy LITERALLY lol so I probably should just throw out the measuring tape [but I would probably just go buy some more!!]

I don't keep any secrets about my routine though...when I tell friends/family and boyfriend that I don't wash...they all think I am super crazy haha oh if they only knew...

RancheroTheBee
June 9th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Haha. I have more guilty secrets since last time I posted.

1) I blowdry on low almost every time I shampoo.

2) I now shampoo almost every day. I bought these shampoo bars from Lush, and I'm so overexcited about them that I deep oil my hair just so I can wash it the next day. :o It seems to be working really well.

3) I twiddle strands of hair. Just the front part. I have to S&D all the time because of it, but I get incomprehensibly nervous if I can't do it.

4) The only reason I take vitamins and exercise is for my hair.

Firefly
June 9th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Hehe, I sleep on the floor rather often. If a spider gets on me I instinctively* grab it and toss it to the side (without hurting it, amazingly!) I then usually turn on the light and transfer it to another room. :D

*(I developed this instinctive reasponse as a young child living in an undeveloped country filled with bugs. The first time it happened was when a grasshopper was on my face, and, still dreaming, I grabbed it and squished it. I felt so horrible afterwards that from then on, even if I was dead asleep when it happened, the bugs were unharmed.)

You're a braver Lass than I, Runzel! :toast:

Krystyle
June 9th, 2009, 12:37 PM

I don't know why people act like co-sleeping is just so bad. I still do it albeit not all night. My husband can't stand it else it would be all night. I see nothing wrong with it seeing as how they're only young for so long and it just seems better and more humane than letting him cry himself to sleep. Really, how much sleep would we all be getting then? Plus my husband has to get up at six for work so you bet he should appreciate my co-sleeping with the the kid or else he wouldn't get any sleep to get up so early. I actually applaud you and your husband for seeing the benefits of such a closely-knit bedtime routine. Angelina Jolie sleeps with her kids because they don't always get much time together during the day so this is how they reconnect. Hmmm. I think this is called the continuum concept but I'm not sure.

Bene
June 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM
sometimes, i get tempted to straighten my hair. just to see how it'll look now that it's a bit longer. i used to do it all the time, blow dryer, flat iron, hair goo, etc. i used to be really really good at it, but i haven't touched the stuff in almost a year. still, i get tempted...

Krystyle
June 9th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I don't have any guilty hair secrets. Unless, you count the sheer joy I experience on the inside when I notice somebody else's hair envy. (Geesh, I sound vain).

EvaSimone
June 9th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I lie about how often I wash my hair. Whenever it comes up I go along with the "oh yes I wash my hair every day crowd" but it's really every other or every third day.

Sometimes I S&D at work... :o

bigdreamer
June 9th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I'm a big hair toucher, I'm constantly "arranging" it because it has a mind of its own and I'm self conscious about it. I also have a very bad twirling habit with my left hand. Sigh

redneckprincess
June 9th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Sometimes I DON'T tell people my hair care secrets when they ask why my hair is so nice, (Learned mostly here at LHC) because I want to have better hair than them. I will say that it's some fancy S&C or something. :o when people ask me how i got my hair to grow so fast I dont tell them its MASSIVE doses of BIOTIN and prenatals, I do tell them multi vitiman and BIOTIN but I dont tell the truth on how much biotin, I want the best looking hair around, lol

I use :sun:Sun In a couple times a month, but I only use 10-15 mists and activate with the hair dryer. I don't consider this coloring my hair. I am a natural blonde, so this just boosts the shade gradually. I used to keep it a secret, but now I am open with it! I have done this for 25+years! I never would have imagined...............looks good though

My worst habit is also checking for growth every day...it makes me crazy LITERALLY lol so I probably should just throw out the measuring tape [but I would probably just go buy some more!!]

I don't keep any secrets about my routine though...when I tell friends/family and boyfriend that I don't wash...they all think I am super crazy haha oh if they only knew... I measure daily also (sometimes several times a day and sometimes not for 2 or 3 days) only though to make sure I havent LOST any length

I'm a big hair toucher, I'm constantly "arranging" it because it has a mind of its own and I'm self conscious about it. I also have a very bad twirling habit with my left hand. Sigh I walk around my house all day with a brush in my hands, I even keep an extra in the car so I can brush/fix when out..

*I also envy my long haired (past APL to me) friends for there leingth.
*I wash my hair DAILY, sometimes more, just to have a resion to touch it, lol and if my hair is not styled I brush it every time i go into the bathroom, even in the middle of the night...
*I dont straighten nearly as much as I used to but I still do (about once a month or so)
*I secretly wish I could afford extentions (its not like if i could I could even get them to pretend to match without coloring my hair)
Im sure I got more...i'll be back lol

Quixii
June 9th, 2009, 02:47 PM
When people ask me if I've ever cut my hair, I always respond, no, except for trims by my mother or me.
But when I was about ten, I accompanied by brother to SuperCuts, and was suddenly really jealous that he got to get his hair cut in a special place and they do all sorts of special stuff and whatnot, that I requested I get my hair cut too. I didn't get more than a couple inches, like my own mother would have cut, off, but still. ^^;;

Coriander
June 9th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I am a cone addict.

I've gone days without combing - just throw the hair up in a Ficcare and forget about it.

I carry little scissors with me everywhere in case I see a split.

I do not own a satin/silk pillowcase and often leave my hair down when I fall asleep. Sometimes I'll braid it.

I'll scratch my scalp with my comb for minutes on end because it feels good.

"Your hair is beautiful." makes me glow even more than "You look like you've lost weight."

I admit that I sometimes admire my hair in the mirror.

When taking photos, I try to make sure my hair is down.

So many secrets LOL I'm sure I have more!

angelakeats
June 9th, 2009, 03:00 PM
This isn't about hair either but - you have to sleep. Whatever way works for your family is the best way for you. I'll tell you my little secret - I sleep in a separate room than my husband. He snores horribly, I'm a heavy mouth breather and toss and flop like a fish and suffer from chronic insomnia- neither of us gets any sleep if we're in the same bed all night. It hasn't hurt our marriage at all. We've been married for 14 years and going strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennaGirl

This morning I had to cut out a snarl. The boys will eventually grow up and I'll miss this stage in so many ways...but not in regards to co-sleeping and hair!!!

It is our Western Culture that thinks it is weird...it is a part of the culture in many other areas of the world. You are not strange!!!

swanns
June 9th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I don't have any guilty hair secrets. Unless, you count the sheer joy I experience on the inside when I notice somebody else's hair envy. (Geesh, I sound vain).

I have to agree about the last part. I know it's awful but I can't help enjoying it when someone is just so obviously jealous! :shudder:

Another secret of mine is that most of the time I can't be bothered with gentle brushing/combing. I'll just brush my hair with my large Body Shop brush rather violently and be done with it.

hennaphile
June 9th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I measure my circumference everyday, waiting for it to get thicker ...

Longlocks3
June 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I flip out if the wind messes my hair up. It's an obsession.

I wash everyday and use a 'bad' comb.

When I was younger(less than 10) I had severe lice from my elementary school that resulted in me enduring hours and hours of combing out the lice eggs. I refused to let my mom cut my long hair. If my future kids get lice, buzzes will be in order!

Absinthegelatin
June 9th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Flatiron abuse (2/3 times a week)

*Hangs head in shame*

hellkitty
June 9th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Okay, I'll confess:

I get mad at my hair for being thin. Why can't I have *fat* hair and skinny *me* instead of the other way around?!?

I cannot for the life of me figure out hairpins. Bobby pins or Amish pins, it doesn't matter. If it's smaller than a hairstick, I can't work it!

and (seriously, shhhhhh on this one!): I have, ahem, been known to use a fake-hair pony wrap around a bun to a) make my hair look bigger and b) give me messybun appeal.

And I envy anyone whose loose ends curl up in those awesome sexy tendrils.

HK, seriously, don't tell anyone!

Fractalsofhair
June 9th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I brush my hair a lot!(Like several times daily if it's not looking curly) I also peel split ends occasionally, which is not good for my very fine damaged hair, but 5 hairs isn't a huge deal.

PhillyGirl1978@
June 9th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Chiming in as a proud member of the Vanity Brigade, i.e. "LOOKIT MY PROTEINS I MADE THEM MYSELF"

I let my hair down when I'm walking home from work across a nice windy bridge just so it'll blow dramatically. Every time a car honks or slows down to look at it, I glow. :D

I completely do this I will wear it down when it's windy because I love it blowing in the wind. Especially on the boardwalk or at the beach....and when the right song is playing....fuggettabouit!!lol I'm in my element then! I don't know what it is with my curls blowing in the breeze, even when I'm driving with the windows open and the radio up...I have to have my hair down!! I thought I was the only one!lol

theshadowpuppet
June 9th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I measure my circumference everyday, waiting for it to get thicker ...

I've been doing that too, only without measuring. I just notice it getting thicker, but it will never be as thick as I want it. D:

Roseate
June 9th, 2009, 07:56 PM

I am a four-star general in the Hair Vanity Brigade, for sure. I gave some money to a homeless guy yesterday because he complimented my hair.

I can't wait til my hair is long enough to stop traffic again, I used to be able to get compliments from cars too, but nobody honks at APL hair. Onward and downward!:D

Gingevere
June 9th, 2009, 08:11 PM
My guilty secret is not such a secret... I never wear my hair up. Seriously, my only "updo" is a sloppy ponytail every couple of days to hide the oiliness. I really do feel guilty about this one because even though I love the feeling of my hair blowing about in the wind, the elements take quite a toll on my ends. :(

inertia
June 9th, 2009, 09:36 PM
What I've been keeping secret from LHC:
I go to rock concerts all the time with my hair in styles that require heat, tons of product, and sometimes backcombing. I headbang like crazy and wear my hair loose (and hairsprayed) into the pit. I'm going to 7 concerts in the next 2 weeks and, while I don't have any split ends right now, I expect to find plenty of them by the time I've finished with 7 concerts worth of styling and headbanging. But that's okay because hair grows, and I want to trim off 4 or 5 cm at the end of June anyway to be more comfortable in the summer weather.

Secret from my RL friends:
When I'm not at concerts, I don't do anything to my hair. I wash it as little as possible, air-dry it, don't use heat styling or products, and often just throw it in a simple bun. That's why I was able to grow out my own real hair instead of getting stuck at BSL and having to add extensions.

Themyst
June 9th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I'm kind of a mess. Even if I have known I need to be somewhere at a certain time, I cram trying to get ready (shower and all) within half an hour of leaving. And, I'm a slow mover. So, I find myself ripping a comb through my hair in my frantic flurry to hurry up and get ready because everyone is angry with me that I'm late again ... :doh:I have got to stop doing that.

ReddishRocks
June 9th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I pixie-curl (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=34025&highlight=pixiecurl+method) on VERY low heat and speed to achieve my waves. I don't think I could ever be dryer-free in Colorado - it's too cold for me in the winters already! LOL! The only time I consider this a "dirty little secret" is when people compliment my waves... I feel guilty for about 10 seconds, but then again, we all do SOMETHING to our hair to achieve its look... even when that "something" is no-water/sebum-only. :) My "something" just happens to take me an extra 15 minutes when I wash. Small price for me to pay, I think.

Bene
June 10th, 2009, 05:58 PM
i finally took a long look at my hair toy collection and decided i had a good sized stash and that i didn't need anymore. i told my b/f this and he was proud of me... and then in the last 3 days, i went and bought a stick and a fork :nono:

cobblersmaid
June 10th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I use nail trimmers on splits. I have been using mousse (and it is actually great so far).

moonshinegrrl
July 11th, 2009, 08:06 PM

Has your husband been tested for sleep apnea? If not please talk to doctor about it. I snored awful and it was sleep apnea. I almost died before they found what it was.

Fiferstone
July 11th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I love the feeling of wind in my loose hair - d*mn the tangles, full speed ahead
I don't always wear it in a braid to sleep in.
I don't own silk or satin pillowcases.
I have an ancient boar bristle brush that also has nylon bristles in it. Can't afford to replace it, and my main detangler is...a brush with plastic, ball-tipped bristles. I do try to be gentle using it, though I know I shouldn't.
GlennaGirl, my 12-year-old son co-slept with us from infancy until he was about 9. Now he's in his own bed...but the bed is in our bedroom. Eventually he'll want to sleep in his own room but until he does, the arrangement works for us. Don't let anyone judge you in that regard. When the time comes for co-sleeping to stop, you'll all know.
I also look at myself using a small hand mirror, so I can admire the length and shine. I'm pathetic.

Laylah
July 11th, 2009, 09:06 PM
sometimes I don't take a shower until I wash my hair (2-3 times/week)shudder:

nowxisxforever
July 11th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I also have been known to just pet and gaze at it in the mirror with a smile on my face...I feel guilty about it sometimes, but not all the time. My hair is my vanity.
:blushing:

I do this too.

RedHeadDancer
July 11th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Lets see....I rarely sleep in a braid, I do own a silk pillowcase but don't always use it, I love wearing my hair down in all kinds of weather, I don't oil my ends as much as they need, I don't do micro-trims or any trims in about 6 months...and that's all I'll cop to right now...=)

RancheroTheBee
July 11th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I let people think I'm a natural red-head. (henna is natural, right?) I have pale skin and green eyes, so it's believable. When I had my Son (c-section) I woke up from the anesthetic and at first I felt like I had problems breathing. It was just from irritation from the breathing tube, but the Dr. and nurse thought I might be having an allergic reaction. I remember hearing the Dr. Say "she's a red-head..they're more prone to allergic reactions.." and I was saying in my drug-induced state " it's not real, it's henna".

That shouldn't be funny, but that did give me a little giggle. :p

nowxisxforever
July 11th, 2009, 09:14 PM

I toss mine over my pillow, but I keep mine on the bed, loose, "somewhere above or beside my head". It generally pools in one spot.

Dementia1013
July 12th, 2009, 01:05 AM
I play with my hair way too much i think. Maybe enough to be damaging? when I'm not playing with my son or playing games, online, chores, I'm upstairs sandwiched between two mirrors trying to copy styles I see on here or figure out movie styles. I lose track of time when I do this and can easily play with my hair until 3-4 in the morning. :(

Dementia1013
July 12th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I have another secret... it's nothing to do with hair, but it worries me. I'm the biggest I've ever been wieght wise and am extremely self conscious about it. I use may hair to distract others from what I look like. :( Also, mind you it's not on purpose, but in a past couple weeks I've had no appetite. Hubby forces me to eat at least once a day and to me that's too much. I've noticed that i'm losing weight and love it, but I'm also conserned that it will have a negative impact on my hair. :(

Brownie
July 12th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I sometimes look at the back of my hair with a hand mirror, not to check the length but to (shhhhhhhhhhhh) admire it.

And I thought I was the only one :o Sometimes I think it's pretty vain, but I really enjoy looking at my hair :D

And I let my hair down when it is really windy outside. I love the feeling of my hair blowing about in the wind, too :D But the tangles and knots afterwards... They're awful. Thank god I've got a Tangle Teezer :D

Toadstool
July 12th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I just found a great conditioner with cones in - and my hair feels fabulous, and I'm giving up the no-cone route.

My fringe goes in to ringlets (the rest doesn't at all) and I spend a lot of time admiring them.
If I had a prettier face and a slimmer body I would go pixie like a shot!

Toadstool
July 12th, 2009, 04:32 AM
People send me messages here and I don't know how to access them after i've read them once, and when I do accidentally manage to access them I don't know how to reply:(

Wicked Princess
July 12th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Oh, I love this thread!

I use an expensive, main-stream, salon conditioner with light 'cones in it because it's the only thing that has ever made my hair look and feel as nice as it is and kept it as healthy. When people ask me what my hair secret is, I show them the bottle and talk about how superior it is to any other hair products.

What I don't tell anyone is that hidden underneath my sink is the ultra cheap, grocery-store brand shampoo that I dilute before using - because if I did, they wouldn't think of me as the super-hair-elitist they do now... *blush*

So there you have it. I'm not only vain about my hair...I'm vain about my the hair persona I show my friends. *blush*

Bunnyhare
July 12th, 2009, 07:58 AM
i scratch at my scalp ..with my nails...EEEKK! i can't help it when i am nervous or sitting still too long..i have been on 30 days of Updo's and that has helped because i can't get my finger through all the way...but i also play with it way too much when its loose, it feels so good! I love hair!!

Rentlle
July 12th, 2009, 11:42 AM
when i see split ends and I don't have scissors, I just pull them out... :o :o I know it's a bad habbit, but I just can't see it XD
and, I play too much with my hair :o
I redo it like 3-4-5 times a day..
and I love combing it and looking at the back-mirror, just to see it XD haha..
Just have a new collor and realy love it, so I just do it XD

AddiesMom13
July 12th, 2009, 11:54 AM
how does everyone get away with not washing their hair every day?! My ends would love me for that...but my scalp would get so yucky...
my guilty secret is that I use way too many products, because I feel like I'm somehow helping my hair by loading it up with junk. Also, I buy and buy and buy hair stuff, and then never use it, or use it once. My bathroom closet is loaded with almost-full products. My DH hates it..but I'm an addict! I need HPA...Hair Products Anon. :o

ATrixie
July 12th, 2009, 12:23 PM
how does everyone get away with not washing their hair every day?! My ends would love me for that...but my scalp would get so yucky...
my guilty secret is that I use way too many products, because I feel like I'm somehow helping my hair by loading it up with junk. :o
lol I think you've answered your own question!! :)
If you don't overload your hair with anything, the scalp will be better.. :)
honestly, does it make sense to put all that stuff on your hair & then just have to wash it away every day? ;)

ZadenWillowfyre
July 12th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I tend to twirl and mess with my hair when Im bored or nervous. Done is since I was little.

Tovah
July 12th, 2009, 01:33 PM
You sound like me. I have so much product that I have to store some on the floor of the linen closet. If you find a "HPA"-I'll join with you. I think that after my consultation next week, I will ceremoniously chuck them.

jlpearce
July 12th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I touch my hair *a lot*! I'm always running my hands through it, or gently tugging the ends. It's worse now when it's short, but I can't seem to stop myself from doing it!

I don't even really know what a split end looks like.

My hair likes -cones. When I tried a no cone shampoo, my hair freaked right out, so I went back, even though I've learned through this site that if I just let it freak out for a week or so it would probably look better than it does now.

My hair is so frizzy it drives me nuts. I don't know what to do to make it go away!

I brush/comb my hair constantly. (I'm thinking that a lot of these things are related, lol!) Almost every time I go to the bathroom I run the brush through it.

I kind of wish someone would just tell me how long to grow my hair. Right now it's like, eh, I'll just see what happens, but I wish someone would give me a goal.

Long-haired boys turn me on like nothing else. I've been trying to get my boyfriend to grow out his hair the whole time we've been dating.

Amara
July 12th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I get impatient sometimes and brush my hair roughly.

plainjanegirl
July 12th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Oh, I love this thread!

I use an expensive, main-stream, salon conditioner with light 'cones in it because it's the only thing that has ever made my hair look and feel as nice as it is and kept it as healthy. When people ask me what my hair secret is, I show them the bottle and talk about how superior it is to any other hair products.

What I don't tell anyone is that hidden underneath my sink is the ultra cheap, grocery-store brand shampoo that I dilute before using - because if I did, they wouldn't think of me as the super-hair-elitist they do now... *blush*

So there you have it. I'm not only vain about my hair...I'm vain about my the hair persona I show my friends. *blush*

So what is the great salon condiitioner you use?

plainjanegirl
July 12th, 2009, 05:59 PM
my guilty secret is that I use way too many products, because I feel like I'm somehow helping my hair by loading it up with junk. Also, I buy and buy and buy hair stuff, and then never use it, or use it once. My bathroom closet is loaded with almost-full products. My DH hates it..but I'm an addict! I need HPA...Hair Products Anon. :o

Can I come shopping in your closet? :p

GreyLadyBast
July 12th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I should have been born a redhead (I am one in my head, to the point where seeing myself without red hair freaks me out) but I wasn't. So, I dye it red with the cheapest dye in the drugstore---Revlon Colorsilk Bright Red. I stumbled on this by pulling out some of my few natural-growing red hairs (WHY won't the whole bleeding head grow that color?!?!?!) and holding them from box to box until I found the one where I couldn't see the hairs anymore. I keep it because it's ammonia-free, and I really don't like my hair to smell like catbox! Still, I use the ultra-cheap-nasty dye, and my hair loves it.

People have tried to turn me on to henna, though. I have had the same unused box of henna for two years now, which I have never opened because at first I didn't know how to use the stuff, and now I'm nervous about trying it and ending up with green hair, yet unwilling to go three whole months without freshening up the red dye. I'm also lazy and impatient, and not sure I want to put the time into henna when my lousy cheapo drugstore dye works so well in half an hour.

I compulsively twiddle my hair, and I will never stop! It's soothing, helps me focus and calm down and sleep. The one time I tried to stop, the depression I chronically fight with got so bad that I had a bit of a nervous breakdown. If my choice is between hair-twiddling and deep depression, I'll pick hair-twiddling every time.

I'm not sure that I like CO-washing my hair. It's great for the silky feel, but sucks all the body out of my hair. My face is too fat to have such limp, lifeless (if incredibly shiny and silky) hair. Still, using the Kiss My Face Olive Oil and Lavender Bar Soap sometimes doesn't make if feel as clean as CO does. Weird, that.

Every time I try to sleep with my hair in a braid, I have crazy dreams and nightmares. Every. Single. Time! What's up with that, anyway?

Bast

Teakafrog
July 13th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I CO in the winter, but in summer, I use shampoo.....at EVERY wash.

I use fingernail clippers to snip splits if I'm too lazy to go find the hair scissors.

I sleep with it down a lot, even though my satin pillowcase fell apart and I haven't bought a new one.

I don't oil or deep condition regularly anymore. I used to, but never have time anymore.

I haven't combed my hair dry in years--the only time a comb ever touches it is in the shower, covered in conditioner, and a brush never touches it.

I get regular (if every 6 months is regular) trims at the salon. Love it.

I'm not so sure I like my bangs being grown out. They are past chin-length now, but I really miss having bangs sometimes, and I think about chopping them off again.

I really really want to highlight my hair, but it's almost completely virgin now (haven't colored in almost 4 years), and I don't want to have to deal with growing out the grays AGAIN. Still debating this one.

Heidi_234
July 13th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I take my hair down, and observe it in the mirror. Every single day. Several times a day.

juliaxena
July 14th, 2009, 12:22 AM
It's not really a secret because people around me see it and I'm new here and nobody asked lol, but I do dye my hair with store dyes and not planning to stop. I can't really resist modern hair styles although I don't use hair sprays and such things. There, I said it.

MoonCreature
July 14th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I often don't have the time/energy or I simply don't want to comb my hair through, so I either put it in a bun or fingercomb it so that I at least can make an english braid out of it. Then when I do comb (may be a 2 days to a week later) I'm really not gentle with it... :o

Edit: Oh and yes, I do S&D at work when I think nobody sees me (wich is kind of stupid, I sit in the lobby..)

klcqtee
July 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I have fantasies about having my hair waist length and curly. In these fantasies I'm always topless and posing for playboy. My hair, of course is covering my exposed chest. Oh I feel a bit better about having that exposed.

Also, I'm willing to try almost anything to make my hair more curly. I get obsessive about finding ways to make my hair go from a 2c to 3a.
(3a fits in with my fantasy better than 2c, haha)

Maddy25
July 28th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I am constantly clipping my hair up, then taking the clip put. I must do it a hundred times at work when Im bored, up, down, up, down.

freckles
July 28th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I want to dye my hair blonde just because my ex is not at all attracted to blondes. I'm not prepared to deal with the upkeep or the damage, I'm just really petty. :p

Bene
July 28th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Last week, I straightened my hair. Even used a flattening iron and a cone-filled serum. It looked amazing, I couldn't keep my hands out of it. So smooth, and I think i'm nearing waist length. Too bad I didn't think to take pictures :(

Next time, I do, I'll have to snap a pic. The difference is remarkable :bigeyes:

rach
July 28th, 2009, 03:07 PM
i keep my hair up so i don't going into mass analyzing mode.

rach
July 28th, 2009, 03:09 PM
in my teens i used and iron to straighten my hair........ "runs off in shame"

adiapalic
July 28th, 2009, 03:15 PM

Sometimes when I'm stressed I'll bite the damaged tips of my hair. Yuck. It's my worst habit.

I used to practically chew on my bangs that were growing out when I was in elementary school because I was nervous--was always a socially awkward kid!

halo_tightens
July 28th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Let's see... I've been using Pantene shampoos and conditioners for years. My hair likes them better then any other kind, and I still use them today. Of course, I do use them a little differently than the non-LHC recommendations. :)

Since I discovered EVOO, I've started using it several times a day. I'm completely hooked! It's what I've been looking for since forever.

I hate having hair that's on the border of straight and wavy. I often twist my hair in small sections while it's still barely damp so I'll have nice waves the next day. The way I do it isn't terribly gentle (cringe) but it gives me the waves I love.

I haven't trimmed AT ALL for many months now. I'm so desperate for length that I don't want to lose any at all, even though I need to get rid of some damaged ends. I just don't want to part with any right now.

I'm a complete failure when it comes to updos. I finally mastered my avatar, so at least I can do something besides a ponytail. I'm determined to learn more by the time my hair is long enough.

Hair conscience is now clean. :blushing:

ETA, Four months later:

Wow. Just wow. A lot can change in four months, huh? :D

Charentais
July 28th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Too much handling and fiddling.

But I can't help it! I'm in love with my hair! At last!

Rose J.
July 28th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I use ponytail bands daily.

And I'm not as gentle as I should be when detangling. Last night was a nightmare! Ugh. :rolleyes:

Reptilia
July 28th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I love to run my hair over my lips! I don't actually put it in my mouth or bite, I just love the way that feels!

theskeletonkey
July 28th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Meee too.
Except the vacuuming part. :grnbiggri

pradabacon
July 28th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I wear my hair down or take it down when I go see my nephews because the three year old loves to play in my hair and make me look like Cousin Itt. He tangles it terribly, but the giggles it gets are just too irresistible. I also let my cat chew on the ends of my hair. No idea why she likes to do that, but if she's happy, I'm happy.

I am still using a paddle brush I've had since I was in 8th grade. I've never found one I like better and it doesn't seem to do much damage. *shrugs* I have a BBB and some combs that I use too, but that old paddle still does the best job on my hair.

yogachic
August 26th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I stopped S&Ding because it doesn't seem to help much. I'm going to start up again soon though. Maybe even have a before bed routine where I find 10 splits and cut them off.
I just get really overwhelmed with the amount I have.

I also slept with my hair loose last night! for the first time in months. my hair seemed okay though since I kept it tucked over my shoulder.

When my hair was longer and damaged at the ends from a prior perm, S&D'ing never worked, it always seemed like I'd get more splits.
I got a big cut, and use coconut oil almost daily on dry hair and its really getting soft, and best of all No splits still.

I love to run my hair over my lips! I don't actually put it in my mouth or bite, I just love the way that feels!

I do this too, but I press my lips against my hair. Mostly when i have coconut oil in. It makes my hair really soft.

I used to have a satin pillowcase, but it ripped at the seams and I've never replaced it.

Backliteyes
August 26th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I stopped chemically dying my hair, which gives me a great marker for how much growth I'm getting. I check out my roots at least once a day. So silly, I'm never going to notice any increase looking at my roots that often, but I can't help it. :rolleyes:

When my hair was long (I was looking at pictures from last summer, longer than BSL, so sad I cut it to shoulder now. :() I would play with it ALL THE TIME if I wore it down, especially the last 6 inches.

I have serious hair envy of those that have thick hair, or coarse enough hair that it looks very thick. I have a co-worker with a pony tail almost the size of a silver dollar and it's rough for me not to stare at it. My hair is medium at best and though there's a good amount of it it has to be pretty long before my bun doesn't look wimpy.

Lady Mary
August 26th, 2009, 05:45 PM

Me too! I love the texture :D

Medievalmaniac
August 26th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I obsess over growth and secretly feel sorry for everybody around me whose hair is shorter than mine is...doh! I can't believe I actually said that out loud.

Oh...and I'm jealous of my daughter's hair. MAD jealous. But, I think I have a reason to be:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x45/simonebeauvoir2/Annashair003.jpg

OK, I feel so much better now. Wow, amazing, I never thought I could need to confess about things related to my hair! lol

HeatherMae
August 26th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I wear my hair back in a low pony tail almost everyday. I LOVE my length, its just that it is all the time in my way if I don't tie it back. I just try to make myself believe that I will be the only person on the earth who won't get breakage from the constant pony tail.............. Shhhhhhhhhhhh please don't tell me the horrible truth about pony tails and hair breakage.:rolleyes:

Komodia
August 26th, 2009, 08:28 PM
ohhh your daughter's hair is amazing!!!

i often pull my split ends so that they break.
i untangle my hair with a brush in a not-very-soft way. i mostly do it in the shower with my fingers so that it doesn't get damaged, but sometimes, when i want to put it up or something, i HAVE to do it in spite of the frizz, and i see small sections of hairs falling. i have too much hair that grows too fast anyways... that's my excuse :P

pradabacon
August 26th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I wear my hair back in a low pony tail almost everyday. I LOVE my length, its just that it is all the time in my way if I don't tie it back. I just try to make myself believe that I will be the only person on the earth who won't get breakage from the constant pony tail.............. Shhhhhhhhhhhh please don't tell me the horrible truth about pony tails and hair breakage.:rolleyes:

Hmmm...I do this too...so I guess you and me are the only two people on the earth who won't get breakage from it. Right?

Right. :D

Nouveaux
August 26th, 2009, 11:46 PM
The longest I've gone without washing was about 2 weeks. That's hair and body.
Frankly, I didn't mind, but I didn't really exist at that point, I was in bed most of the time and on the computer the rest. In the end I decided that I had to buck up and take a darned shower.

Still, I go 2-3 days without washing at all in normal life.

New shampoo intimidates me, I can almost imagine that it will leave me with superfried everything. Ends, mids, roots. Nevermind that it would either have to be an extremely unfortunate quirk of chemistry or a shampoo of pure bleach, I'm extremely wary of it.

I'm still style-inept, so far. And everytime I try to tuck in my ends, they slip right out. So I use little hairpins, which feels like cheating.

I could spend hours trimming splits, and still not get all of them.

templeofvenus
August 27th, 2009, 01:06 AM
I blowdry my hair after each wash.

me too :confused: I can't break this habit my hair looks dreadful if I don't at its current length, I am hoping to be able to avoid this when it gets long enough to put up in a ponytail

Konstifik
August 27th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I always lie to my boyfriend about the price (and the number) of hairtoys :rolleyes:

Guilty! And I lie a bit about how much I care about them too, in case he actually breaks one, he won't be feeling too guilty about it... :rolleyes:

Medievalmaniac
August 27th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Ohhh....for those of you lying to SOs about the price of hair toys....DH doesn't even KNOW I have bought hairtoys! He'd never notice, I pay the bills, and he wouldn't get that they cost over twenty dollars apiece...! lol

brok3nwings
August 27th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I try to braid my hair even when its not completly untangled so... sometimes i do break some hairs :( not that much but enough to make me M A D

Loreley
August 27th, 2009, 08:52 AM
When I'm in a rush I use my old plastic brush (about once in three months) but I always tell everyone not to use those rubbish things because they cause a lot of damage. :taz:

I tell everyone I brush my hair with a boar-bristle brush twice EVERY day but sometimes I forget to do it for days. :p

I tell everyone my hair reaches under my butt (it does when it's wet) but when it's dry it's only a little longer than tailbone. :o

MAO
August 27th, 2009, 10:11 AM

Ditto here!!! My urge to constantly change my color has been preventing me from having healthy long hair since I've been old enough to be allowed to dye my hair. :doh:

missfortune9335
August 27th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Aaaaa! Lamb! lol, that's awesome :D

hmmm
November 19th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I love this thread :)

I'm guilty of fussing over it too much right now, 'fixing' it when it doesnt need fixing, and checking for growth a lot.
I also used to henna once a week because I liked it so much. Then... I figured I needed to get a life.
I fiddle with it when it's down, too.

Hydrilus
November 19th, 2009, 02:45 PM

Please don't do that!:D:cheese:

I see we have an active peanut gallery in this topic :p

otherarrow
November 19th, 2009, 03:28 PM
When my hair is newly washed it's so soft I spend hours petting it:o

Kris Dove
November 19th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I'm trying to cut down on washing from every single day to every other day, so I've lied and told people I've overdone it with the leave-in conditioner/serum/gel...

pinchbeck
November 19th, 2009, 04:20 PM

I slept with my one son for ten years and I am currently sleeping with my other one and he is 3 1/2 whom still nurses. It is natural for children to sleep with their parents. Afterall, childhood is short period of a person's life and when it is over adulthood is for the rest of our lives. So enjoy it!

Oh...children also take up less space in the bed -- now that's a plus.

Kris Dove
November 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I love to run my hair over my lips! I don't actually put it in my mouth or bite, I just love the way that feels!I do this too, especially with the tail-end of a braid.:o

pinchbeck
November 19th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I hate being too dark in the Spring and Summer months.

Last year I got highlights before I'd managed to get all my henndigo out. Got green hair. :( Had to have radical haircut! Then in Autumn, henndigo'd again. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

This year I'm removing my henndigo again. I will be a lot more careful this time before I get highlights (if at all). But I may get some if the strand tests come out OK. No more hendigo, ever!

The reason my hair is never long is because I cannot pick a colour and stick to it! :rolleyes: When I used chemicals, it was easier to change it...so, back to chemicals (in due course).
Is the lilac colour in your hair the result of hennigo? I think it is so pretty. But since you're considering abandoning a hair chemical regime, you may want to let your natural hair colour grow and love it for what it is.

turtlelover
November 19th, 2009, 04:28 PM
My guilty secret is that I am addicted to the straightening iron to try to get me through my awkward stages. Not good for my hair, but good for my mental health!

pinchbeck
November 19th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I always say I want long hair, but I get these stupid urges to cut it for different reasons that come my way. When I get these urges I will cut off 3" myself and than get any unevenness corrected by a hairdresser. Why? I don't want to give any hairdresser the pleasure of cutting more than an inch of my hair off! Now -- this is a dirty little secret!

Islandgrrl
November 19th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Like many of you, I lie about how often I shampoo my hair. In reality, it's not often.

I've never done an S&D.

I trim my hair once a year, on my birthday, and I do it myself.

DARKMARTIAN
November 19th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I only trim my hair once a year too...if that,,,,and also sometimes when im in a bad mood and there is a tangle.....ill just yank the brush through. (glad im not in bad moods too often)

WritergirlAD
November 19th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I haven't bothered to learn a good way to wear my hairsticks yet. When I put my hair up with them, I can hear hairs snapping. *wince*

I started running again, once every other day, and that means more shampooing than is good for my hair. I love my hair, but my fitness is more important. Maybe I'll try CO washes or something.

sometimes I yank my comb through it too hard, and I wear braids with elastics that probably cause some damage to my ends.

fawn
November 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Ok I decided this board would be kind of cool, we can post our guilty things about our hair and give each other motivation to stop them.

I could very easily become a hair puller if I did not watch myself. I play with my hair when I am stressed, sometimes I feel funny hairs and will yank one, and them make myself stop:))

Quixii
November 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I started running again, once every other day, and that means more shampooing than is good for my hair. I love my hair, but my fitness is more important. Maybe I'll try CO washes or something.
I can relate to that! I wash my hair everytime I have gymnastics, which is four days a week. Unfortunately, that also means I shampoo (and condition!) my hair Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. (So two in a row, break, two in a row, break.) It annoys me and my hair doesn't really need cleaned the very next day, but I do need to wash the sweat and chalk out... Sigh. I'll figure out something eventually.

BranwenWolf
November 19th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I hardly ever wear mine up. I'm starting to get the hang of buns and I have pretty hairsticks, but it's so much easier to just comb my hair and go.
I leave it down in class (I sit in the front row) and let it fall over my chair so the guy I've been going out with can see RIGHT where I'm sitting.
I like letting it down on windy days. Heck, I just like having my hair down. I ride my mule with it flapping in the wind.
I also like letting the sun lighten it.

I do keep up on the coconut oil and detangling at the end of the day.

missjessiecakes
November 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I love to dye my hair!
I never liked henna it gave me horrible headaches and it never ended up like the test strands.

Give me a box of chemical dye and I am a happy camper.

I also flat iron when I am having a horrible hair day. When I can finally put it up the heat styling will only be once in a great while but until then I am not ashamed of it.

I wash my hair every day.

I dont use leave ins.

I yank on my hair when I am upset.

my plastic brush is so nice on my scalp when I have a migraine

JCFantasy23
November 19th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I don't think I have any guilty hair secrets :/ I have to shampoo my hair a few times a week or otherwise it looks disgusting, starts itching and falling out, so can't choose that option. Hmmm yep just can't think of any nervous habits with it either. I'm sure I'll get some guilty secrets later on.

Speckla
November 19th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I haven't used shampoo in over a month and my hair is the best. I don't even cowash everyday two days anymore. A scalp massage nightly and oil and conditioner in the am.

I have been impatiently detangled by starting and the roots and going down if there's a bad tangle. I keep pulling even when I hear the breaking.

halfbakedtulip
November 20th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I laughed so much reading this thread teehee:eyebrows:

Lets see guilty secrets hmmm
I miss my straightening iron soooooooooo much!!! I do my bangs everyday with it but oh to have that sleek straight hair *sigh*
I also miss bleach, I miss being blonde...I almost caved a couple weeks ago and did it. Instead I cut off 3 inches LOL
I use elastics and bobby pins, I dont own a silk pillowcase and since my canopy is my biggest issue I do half ups so my hair looks lovely and oh so healthy LOL

23_seconds
November 20th, 2009, 12:55 AM
||||||||||

hmmm
November 20th, 2009, 05:15 AM
And yes... I use bobby pins too. Not completely out of choice though, because I can't find any u-pins where I am...

kimannabella
November 20th, 2009, 05:21 AM
If I'm having an "updo day" then I'll take it down, then restyle. Then repeat. I do this throughout the day, but not because it's loose or gets wonky. I do it just because.

THIS!If I am using hairsticks in a bun I probably re-do it about 3 times an hour, even though it is perfectly secured.

Carolyn
November 20th, 2009, 06:27 AM
My guilty secret isn't about my hair but I do admit to loving my hot air round brush to smooth out my waves. I like to sneak off to a couple of hair sites that feature "street shots". Street shots for those who don't know are pictures taken in public without the person's knowledge or consent. I even *gasp* save some to my computer for later inspiration.

myrrhmaiden
November 20th, 2009, 06:41 AM
My hair secrets betray my extreme vanity.
1. I never wear updos in public. I feel ugly when my hair is away from my face.
2. My "hobby" is scouring for splits and breaks. I spend hours doing it. My idle hands will always subconsciously find their way back.
3. Until a month or so ago, I was using *cough* rubber bands *cough* in my hair.
4. I've box-dyed my hair more than anyone I have ever met or heard about.
5. My hair length is in direct proportion to how beautiful I feel.

practikalmagik
November 20th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Guilty secrets:

I stand in the shower for longer then needed when rinsing out my conditioner cos I love how sleek my hair feels when soaked.

I like pulling my hair round and admiring the different red shades in it from Henna, when watching tv, studying, any time I don't think anyone will see me doing it lol.

I like leaning my head back after brushing it out and pretending that my hair is longer in the mirror lol.

Sometimes a little vanity is healthy.....honest....

23_seconds
November 21st, 2009, 07:04 PM
THIS!If I am using hairsticks in a bun I probably re-do it about 3 times an hour, even though it is perfectly secured.

What is wrong with us? :laugh:

HildeMV
November 21st, 2009, 08:15 PM
I wear it loose a lot, both out and about and while sleeping. My pillow is not is silk or anything.
I might be abusing it a little while detangling too, but it tangles so easily.

halfbakedtulip
November 21st, 2009, 08:23 PM
last night right before bed I had a long shower then twisted my hair into to twisty buns on the top of my head...and they were tight :disgust: I then ofcourse went to sleep on my cotton pillowcase...for shame!

23_seconds
November 22nd, 2009, 11:11 AM
||||||||||

Madame J
November 22nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
Okay, here's my perverse hair secret: Even though I love my husband's long hair (just past APL) and support him in whatever he chooses to do to it, I'm secretly a little glad he's planning to get a few inches cut off next time he goes to the salon, because then it won't be longer than mine.

I also try to make sure I never have to actually wash my hair at my mother's since she doesn't understand the alternatives to traditional S&C I've been trying (the mess Indian herbs makes would make her faint!). The week between Christmas and New Year's will be tough if I don't go back to my apartment...

Liluri
November 22nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
I haven't been to the hairdressers since 2006 :)

I still think about shaving it all off sometimes

Eniratak
November 22nd, 2009, 06:36 PM
My friends will hug me and say something along the lines of "Your hair smells so good".
I always forget to tell them that I haven't washed it in a week. XD.

Keildra
November 22nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
My guilty secret is that when I'm feeling down about how much my hair is not growing I like to go to the mall or watch TV and go "ha ha, my hair is longer than hers." because I like to believe everyone is trying to grow their hair out. I know I'm weird and evil.

nougat
November 22nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
I dye my ends bright unnatural colors; I often waste time overbrushing, or turning my pigtails this way and that, admiring the way the light hits the different colors.

I imagine that for a lot of people, once your hair hits a certain length it's hard not to be vain about it. I've known longhairs who claimed otherwise, but who also clearly delighted in flipping around and showing off their lovely hair. :D

Tabbyg20
January 18th, 2010, 02:07 PM

:rolleyes:What does BCL mean?

Alcenaia
January 19th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Guilty secret about hair? I love that face that people make when I pull the hairstick out of my bun, my hair cascades down my back, and they see how long it really is. Argh, vanity. >_<

Also I definitely do not S&D enough and brush way too often.

Keildra, I totally do that. Pfft yeah I have the longest hair here...okay go back to the LHC and quit being petty.

PorcelainHorror
January 19th, 2010, 02:41 AM
I color my hair black with permanent box dye D;
I only do my roots though, so I guess it's not..too bad?

SpeakingEZ
January 19th, 2010, 04:04 AM
I like to sneak off to a couple of hair sites that feature "street shots". Street shots for those who don't know are pictures taken in public without the person's knowledge or consent. I even *gasp* save some to my computer for later inspiration.

I actually do this looking hopefully for pics of myself.... the way one might search for missed connections on CL.... even though my hair isn't nearly long enough for it to be noticed for that yet.

My biggest guilty secret, though, is not trimming off a lone 1" thick lock that's making my measurement almost 2" longer. I know it shouldn't count, but I won't be ready to give it up until all of my hair is 30".

brok3nwings
January 19th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Oh...I have many of these...ehehe
Sometimes i get HUGE knots on my hair and i can take about 3 days to decide myself to solve the problem... usually i have to be VERY pacient and i take about 2 hours to do it with my hands very carefully!! Last time i was watching AVATAR on the movies and i only ended the "job" at the end of it :P
When i go out at night i can arrive drunk at home and when that happens i dont make my braid... and i wake up like a witch :P hihihi