PDA

View Full Version : For those who workout regularly.....

errhead
April 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I've been racking my brain to try & come up with something other than a ponytail for when I work out. I'm very nervous about the damage from wearing a pony for an hr 4xweek while vigorously working out/lifting, and my hair is soooo thin that a bun won't hold for any length of time. I only use the Goody 'no damage' pony holders -- and I never wear my pony tight. What does everyone else do to protect their hair while working out?

misstwist
April 5th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Double braids work well.

patience
April 5th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Double braids work well.

This is what I do too

logica_divina
April 5th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Or - make a pony, braid it and secure the braid with another scrunchie or whatever you normally use. This is my favourite "workout do". Stays in place and there's no possibility of getting damaged since it's in a braid.

Speckla
April 5th, 2009, 10:17 AM
A french twist secured with fork. It survives running on the threadmill.

Roseate
April 5th, 2009, 10:21 AM
How long is your hair? Now that my hair is relatively short I do use an elastic while working out, for a looped through ponybun kinda thing. When it was longer I braided it.

I wouldn't freak out about the elastic unless you are noticing breakage: 4 hours a week is actually not very long, especially if you vary the position a little each time so the same hairs aren't getting stressed.

StarShine
April 5th, 2009, 10:22 AM
How long is your hair?

I just use a high cinnamon bun held with a bunch of mini clips, especially on bottom of bun to help combat slipping.

I'd be afraid that braids or a ponytail would get caught in the weight machines.

errhead
April 5th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Starshine--

My avatar is about 6 months old....my hair is layered (growing these out!) and about BSL

shwankie
April 5th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I also have fine, thin hair and am very athletic. The only two styles I've found that work for me are double Dutch braids, or side twists ending in pigtails. Nothing else stays in at all, and definitely nothing on the back of my head when I am lifting--it slides right out on the bench.

Elbereth
April 5th, 2009, 10:54 AM
My favorite is segmented ponytail.

spidermom
April 5th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Single Dutch or French braid down the back most of the time. I've also done 2 buns near the top of my head. Back when my hair was shorter, I wore a ponytail secured with a small, silky scrunchie, and I think that worked very well; no damage.

Gothic Lolita
April 5th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Either two braids clipped on my head like a crown braid or a cinnamon bun held with a ton of claw clips.

Anje
April 5th, 2009, 12:58 PM
For lifting, I like 1 or 2 braids, so I don't have anything lumpy on the back of my head on the bench. For aerobic stuff (haven't tested this running, as I don't run), I tend to twist it into some sort of bun and clip with my ficcarissimo, which stays great. Doing a chain stitch in the length uses it up fast and gives me something that's easily secured.

At your length, a ponytail that's only partly pulled through would probably be just fine and would prevent tangles better than an unrestrained ponytail. Honestly, do what works while minimizing tangles. It doesn't have to look good when you're getting sweaty.

ale
April 5th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Single braid or segmented ponytail for me; well, usually I'm too lazy to braid, so I just go for the segmented ponytail, being careful to slide it apart when I'm on a bench.

JamieLeigh
April 5th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Loose braids sound like they might cause a bit of damage, due to the constant rubbing against clothing while you're moving around. But if you oil the length below the nape of your neck first before you braid, then they might work out well. And at your length, pigtail braids would be pretty cute! :)

My hair has gotten way too long for that to be comfortable, as my braid gets stuck under my arms and I have accidentally sat on it and it was very painful! So I usually just do a braided bun, secured with a giant clip. I practice martial arts also, and it seems to work well for me - I haven't had it to fall out yet, in almost 2 years! :D

rhosyn_du
April 5th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Cinnabun on the top of my head if I'm working on a bench or otherwise need not to have bumps on the back of my head, french twist held with a ficcare otherwise. Both work really well, although the french twist holds a little better if I'm doing something that involves a lot of bouncing around (running, dancing, hooping - that kind of thing).

marajade
April 5th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Dutch braids seem like they would work well.