PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil i/o Honey in SMT??

errhead
April 5th, 2009, 09:52 AM
So I noticed after 2 separate SMT's, that although may hair was VERY soft, it was also rather frizzy at the ends. I'm thinking this is related to the honey...I was thinking about replacing the honey in this recipe with coconut oil. Has anyone else done this?? Opinions?? Thanks!

btw, my hair is BSL, 1a, F, i -- I use no heat, & no chem products. using Biolage Conditioning Balm, Fruit of the Earth aloe gel (the clear stuff), and organic honey in my SMT's

Angharad
April 5th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Hi Errhead!

When I do an SMT I often mix some coconutoil or sheabutter in it as well, but my hair is very dry so it needs that extra. So maybe, you shouldn't need to replace the honey, but you could experience with putting some coconutoil in your SMT; maybe it helps to prevent your dry ends. Or put on some coconutoil on your hair (or just the ends) a few hours before your washingritual starts.

Sometimes dry ends (for me) mean that I haven't rinsed properly or need an ACV-rinse (especially when I my hair has been pampered too much), so you could also try that!

KarenLynn
April 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Of course you can try an oil instead of or in addition to the other ingredients. Years ago when my hair was very damaged from bleach and dye, I frequently used a mix of conditioner, oil, honey and aloe vera gel, and it helped amazingly well.

starsaphire
April 11th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I coconut-oil my ends when I do SMT or honey-lightening. My ends are fried from a bad "color" job that happened the last time I let a "professional" touch my hair. Long story. ;)

But yes, the coconut oil helps keep the ends from drying out. Give it a try. :)

- saphie

Heidi_234
April 11th, 2009, 08:46 AM
It could be honey residue. If so, a simple shampooing/clarifying solves the problem easily. But other than that, the recipe is completely up to you - so you can add and take away any ingredients. I found out that mixing 2 conditioners, honey and some EVOO works best for me. So go ahead and experiment. :)

Kirin
April 11th, 2009, 09:45 AM
For some reason, honey and my hair don't really get along. Even after washing and a week later of using it, it tends to be "tacky" velcro like on the ends. I've recently replaced the honey with vegetable glycerine and had way better results.

Roseate
April 11th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Also could be your climate; if you have very dry winter air humectants like honey or glycerin could work against you. (They try to pull moisture from the air into your hair, if there's no moisture in the air they can actually dry your hair out) So maybe try it without honey in the winter, with in the summer. Coconut oil is always good too!

Heavenly Locks
April 11th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I just did my firs SMT today and when I was done braiding for the night I rubbed in a touch of coconut oil to give the ends a little extra. :)