PDA

View Full Version : Braids - As in, microbraids, jumbo braids etc

MimiKeki
April 5th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Hey guys!
I just wanted to ask, what do you think of BRAIDS? I don't mean French braids, or English braids etc - I mean the braids such as microbraids, jumbo braids that are very popular with african-americans etc?

What is it, about 2 years ago, before I was conciously growing my hair, I had them done one summer, with my own hair plus long long extensions.
I had them kept in for a month or two, if I remember rightly. Taking them out myself was tedious, and there was alot of build-up of oils and skin-cells, but I was incredibly surprised to find that once I had washed it, the condition was better than it has EVER been. It was so noticeable that my natural oils had been working on it for the time that I had been wearing the braids.
Also, when I took them out, I could really see how much my natural hair had grown, it was great.

Has anybody ever had their hair braided, with or without extensions braided in? Does anybody know if it is very damaging to the roots, too much tension?
I'm asking because I'm wondering whether to get them done again. Back then, I wasn't so kind to my hair, and wasn't concerned about damage, but now I am..

Speckla
April 5th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I sew-in extension before and my hair was cornrowed underneath. I kept them for a few months and I was amazed at the growth and condition of my hair.

MimiKeki
April 5th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I was just shocked at how our natural oils could do that for hair. Do you happen to have pics? I just want to start researching how much breakage they can cause, and the stress on the roots. I'm seriously thinking to get it done again.

Speckla
April 5th, 2009, 10:54 AM
No pictures. That was nearly 5 years ago. No breakage or damage from it.

Gothic Lolita
April 5th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I wanted to get my roots braided last summer in Italy. There were these amazing African women all day on the beach and braided hair in all sorts of pattern, it was extremly cool. I thought it might be good way to prtect my hair from drying out in the sun plus the salt water.
But they used tiny rubber elatics and very hair unfriendly plastic combs with small beaks (right word?)

Wanderlust
April 5th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I had extensions a few times when my hair was shorter. The lady who did them put them in too tight once, and it pulled some of my hair out, especially around the temples. Make sure the braider doesn't do your braids too tight if you do get them again!

But yes, I LOVE the braids you are talking about, especially microbraids! The look is so interesting, and when you take them out, your hair is just the most amazing looking poofball! :D

Usually when I see them, the roots are done in kind-of a square pattern on the scalp, where you can see the lines that were drawn on the scalp to divide the hair, but I once saw a photo where instead of doing squares, they did traingles, and you couldn't see the scalp. It was very delicate and feminine looking, and just gorgeous. When I get my hair braided, that's how I'm going to have it done!

MimiKeki
April 5th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Sorry to hear about your experience with the braiders, Lolita. I've actually heard some horror stories from people who got their hair braided at the beach/on holiday. Lots of tales of the braids being too tight, and scalp sunburn etc.
Wanderlust, I also like the styles where you can't see the scalp too much. When I got my hair braided, I actually took i picture along that I had found of google of the exact style I wanted. They were really thick braids. What I liked about having braids was that it made my hair look long, and they were very versatile. I sometimes tied them up in a pineapple style ontop of my head.

Oh man, now I feel I'd really like to get them done again. I had mine done at the market in my town. They're very nice ladies, and it took about 8 hours of sitting a chair, but they keep you chatting so much, that it doesn't feel like a problem!

Anje
April 5th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I really like the look of braids. Sadly, they're not a good look for me, at least not without extension hair -- my hair's too thin and because it's straight (relatively speaking), it makes for thin little braids and tons of scalp showing from crown to nape. Hair like mine also fuzzes out of braids too fast, so they don't look good longer than about a week.

An old family friend of mine (mixed race, 4ish hair) always had short hair that she couldn't grow more than a few inches until she started wearing braids with extensions. They offered enough protection that she was able to get her hair at least to her shoulders without stretching, last I had seen her. If it works well for you and you like braids, by all means do it!