PDA

View Full Version : Law of Opposites for Hair?

Tangles
April 4th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Was wondering if any people with 2a-ish hair had experienced this:

When I try to make my hair straight by combing it as it dries, it ends up basically in frizzy, limp clumps. If I just put it up in a bun for a few hours and then take it down and comb it, it gets pretty straight. But lately, when I've been wrapping it around my head overnight or putting it in a banded ponytail, it goes kinky and frizzy.

Essentially, if I want my hair to be smooth, I have to try to make it curlier by bunning it first, and THEN comb it straight.

:confused::confused::confused:

Does it seem like I have any issues that could be addressed? I was wondering if maybe I actually need to start using more protein, because I do clarify a lot already.

Heidi_234
April 4th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Happens to me as well, air drying it flat on something (around the head, or just down) would make it more frizzy and ugly. It calms down a little as the hair gets longer though.
Bun doesn't make hair curly, it's more of big bun waves, and some bun make it quite straight looking. Really curly waves you'll get from two braids or more. So it's not any law of opposites, but you still learning what air drying in different ways makes you hair look like :flower:

Tangles
April 4th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Happens to me as well, air drying it flat on something (around the head, or just down) would make it more frizzy and ugly. It calms down a little as the hair gets longer though.
Bun doesn't make hair curly, it's more of big bun waves, and some bun make it quite straight looking. Really curly waves you'll get from two braids or more. So it's not any law of opposites, but you still learning what air drying in different ways makes you hair look like :flower:

Ooh what buns make your hair straighter, pray tell?

Honey39
April 5th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Damp bunning gets my hair a LOT straighter as well! I think it's because it dries in big, smooth curls rather than lots of little ringlets. I use it if I want straighter, sleeker hair - and also because it's the fastest hairstyle I know! Throw it up in a bun when it's wet in the morning, take it down at work at lunchtime, and have big glossy waves the rest of the day :)

Magicknthenight
April 5th, 2009, 01:29 AM
When I try to make my hair straight by combing it as it dries, it ends up basically in frizzy, limp clumps.
same here. if i just leave my hair alone until it drys then comb its very nice. however if i comb it then it seems to be a bit more frizzy for some odd reason. Before when i would run my hands down my hair to try and make it straighter it wouldnt work and would give me frizzier hair with flippy ends -.-

Heidi_234
April 5th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Ooh what buns make your hair straighter, pray tell?
I meant buns in general don't make it really curly even though they appear small and swirled. But I found that chinese bun makes my ends (and all the length that gets looped around) pretty straight (but there's some waves at the nape though, of course).
I'd wish to find a hairstyle that would air dry my hair straight as well, so you're not alone...

sapphire-o
April 5th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I don't know. Nothing seems to make my hair look straight unless I used cone AND blow dry. Although I do remember it looking rather straight when it snowed here. The air was very dry. There's just too much humidity here most of the time. I think if I move to a desert I'd have typed my hair 1b or something.

aahavaa
April 5th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I get this problem too, and the way I would deal with it was by using those velcro enormous rollers just on the canopy and face framing layers/fringe.Would leave me with no frizz,nice volume and 1b type straightness which lasted til the next wash.However Ive stopped using those since I have feeling the velcro isnt good for the hair.Although to be honest I had never noticed damage from them since they got used only twice a week.

Elphie
April 5th, 2009, 08:27 AM
My avatar is what happens to my hair if I bun it while it's still damp and take it down when it's dry. It goes pretty wavy for me. If I want it straight, using any cone product will do it for me, but I usually prefer my waves. How often do you clarify, since you said you do it pretty often?

s_tresses
April 5th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I recently discovered that if wavies and curlies touch their hair while it is drying it becomes frizzy. Now what I do is comb it with a wide toothed comb right after I have washed it and not touch it or move it around a lot. It doesnt make the hair more "straighter" and may even make it more curlier but you would have less frizz. SOrry if you guys already knew that but I found out after 19 years!! lol

Amoretti
April 5th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Once it's dry and combed, mist and scrunch it for nice waves.

ETA: Ah, you want it smooth! Damp bunning works for me. :)

JamieLeigh
April 5th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I seem to be the exception to a lot of hair rules, LOL. I've never had any trouble with combing through it with my fingers while damp, in order to make it straight. And in fact, I've actually advised that on this forum before, since it has always worked well for me. Hmmmm. :confused:

I will say though, that I never start the comb-through process until it's almost dry - just a bit damp. And never with an actual comb, always with my fingers. Maybe I get less static with my fingers because of the natural oils on my skin?