PDA

View Full Version : Static

lacereza
April 4th, 2009, 08:39 PM
How do y'all deal with static? My hair is terribly flyaway because of it... or it clings to my face!

marajade
April 4th, 2009, 09:02 PM
It has been my observation that if I have staticy hair I am not using enough conditioner or using the wrong kind of conditioner (like cone filled). You may want to clarify and use a good deep treatment like SMT or a conditioner soak etc. Also, using a humidifier in your home and getting rid of synthetic fabrics and making sure you use dryer sheets helps too. Some even run dryer sheets over their hair to help with the static. :)

lacereza
April 4th, 2009, 09:46 PM

marajade
April 5th, 2009, 04:48 PM
How would cones facilitate static, though? It would seem to me that they'd be more likely to work against it. I don't wear synthetics and live in a fairly humid area (NC), don't use a tumble dryer but will try some Mrs Meyers dryer sheets on my hair.

Did you know that all dryer sheets not labelled from vegetable ingredients are made from animal fat!?

Some say that cones block out moisture, exactly opposite of what they are supposed to do. Cones have never worked for me personally- they always make my hair crunchy and generally unhappy. Most people that have success with cones have to clarify a lot in order for them to work- IDK. :confused:

I have found success with oils, water, and natural ingredients. YMMV. :o

Nyghtingale
April 5th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I use dryer sheets. Rub them on my hands then through my hair. Works great. I always keep them in my purse year round and it smells nice too.

JamieLeigh
April 5th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I spritz a little leave-in conditioning spray (my fave is Aussie Hair Insurance) into my BBB and run it over the top layer of my hair (if it's dry and detangled first). It works for me, and gives me a bit of a shine boost. :)

Fairlight63
April 5th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I used to have that problem with static in my hair. I would go to brush it & it would fly up to meet the brush & was just so hard to control.
I think what helped my hair was coconut oil. I used to shampoo & condition it once a week & it was still just so dry. But the oil really helps now. What ever oil that you have will help, I have even used Olive oil.

LHGypsyRose
April 5th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I used to live in WNC and in the winter time it could get pretty dry in our house. The humidifier suggestion (although it can get to be pain after awhile), is a really good one. I like to use a hair mist that I make by mixing water with AO White Camellia Conditioner in a spray bottle. Camellia oil is said to be great for moisturizing and combating static. In cold, dry weather I like to let my hair down and finger rake before spritzing with this mixture and then bunning again. I sometimes do this several times a day. Of course that is also with the use of my regular oilings, but it works.

marajade
April 5th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I used to have that problem with static in my hair. I would go to brush it & it would fly up to meet the brush & was just so hard to control.
I think what helped my hair was coconut oil. I used to shampoo & condition it once a week & it was still just so dry. But the oil really helps now. What ever oil that you have will help, I have even used Olive oil.

I use olive oil every day now. . LOVE IT!

xeternalsilence
April 5th, 2009, 06:19 PM
My static has improved tremendously since I've stopped using cones except on the very ends of my hair on very rare occasions and cutting way back on sulfate use.

If you're already doing those things, I second the dryer sheet suggestion.