View Full Version : Help My fringe is driving me insane

janeytilllie
April 4th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Help...

I have an insane fringe that has a mind of its own. I have a very high forehead and not having a fringe makes me look like 12 years old with a big head. :silly:

But… my fringe is curly! It’s all ringlets and curls. I have tried straightners on it but this really damaged my fringe badly and my fringe would curl right back up 1/2 an hour later! I have tried different styles of fringes and thinning it out so it wouldn’t curl but none avail.

So I am very unhappy with my fringe I don’t know what to do?:confused:

It does look nice without a fringe because I get curls at the side of my face, but my forehead looks bad without a fringe.

But a curly wurly fringe is driving me mad. :justy:

Is there any way I can control it abit naturally without heat? Does anyone else have this problem? any advice?
Or am I doomed forver? shudder:

Thanks everyone :D

enfys
April 4th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Have you tried getting it to dry naturally straight? My mum used to sellotape her fringe down back in the days before appliances. Maybe brushing it flat then holding it down would help? If hair dries in a position it always seems more fixed.

Natalia
April 4th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I know this is probably a BIG no no on here but when my bangs just wont behave i dampen them and use a wide toothed brush dryer (basicly a blowdryer shaped like a round brush) on COOL setting maybe with a little product when i just cant stand how they look anymore. Thats all i can think of beside some odd techniqe of sandwhiching them somehow while they dry lol :p. I have a huge forehead too, i mostly call it my high five head becasue five just doesnt cut it when it comes to this continent above my eyes. When i am going low maitenance i usually comb 90% of the hair there (while damp) in a sweeping shape across my head and pin it there. Maybe that would work with yours? maybe the pin would keep it more wavy than curly while it dries? I wish you luck my fellow five header :D!

janeytilllie
April 4th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Have you tried getting it to dry naturally straight? My mum used to sellotape her fringe down back in the days before appliances. Maybe brushing it flat then holding it down would help? If hair dries in a position it always seems more fixed.

Good idea I am due to wash hair tomorrow so I might try and brush with BBB until it dries I will see if this control my crazy fringe :D Thanks

Gypsygirl
April 4th, 2009, 03:55 PM
You're not doomed forever. ;)
I don't have curly hair so my bangs are straight, but I heat-style them every day. They get trimmed often, so they're just fine. So if yours look good if you straighten them using heat or one of those flat irons- go for it!
You could also try longer, side-swept bangs.

janeytilllie
April 4th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I know this is probably a BIG no no on here but when my bangs just wont behave i dampen them and use a wide toothed brush dryer (basicly a blowdryer shaped like a round brush) on COOL setting maybe with a little product when i just cant stand how they look anymore. Thats all i can think of beside some odd techniqe of sandwhiching them somehow while they dry lol :p. I have a huge forehead too, i mostly call it my high five head becasue five just doesnt cut it when it comes to this continent above my eyes. When i am going low maitenance i usually comb 90% of the hair there (while damp) in a sweeping shape across my head and pin it there. Maybe that would work with yours? maybe the pin would keep it more wavy than curly while it dries? I wish you luck my fellow five header :D!

The pin it thing is a good idea :D That may help :) I think if all else fails I will buy a hairdryer and use cool settings on untame fringe :D Thanks :)

Honestwitness
April 4th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I have fringe, also. Although, mine is not naturally curly. It is naturally FLAT and has a very lazy S-wave that barely appears. My thinking is, why not use heat on the fringe, since we aren't trying to keep these hairs for six years or more? I use a curling iron sometimes, but I always make sure it's on the lowest heat possible to give the desired effect.
Have a look at this model's curly fringe.

http://www.hairfinder.com/haircollections7/peter-prosser3.htm

Maybe this will give you a styling idea.

janeytilllie
April 4th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I have fringe, also. Although, mine is not naturally curly. It is naturally FLAT and has a very lazy S-wave that barely appears. My thinking is, why not use heat on the fringe, since we aren't trying to keep these hairs for six years or more? I use a curling iron sometimes, but I always make sure it's on the lowest heat possible to give the desired effect.
Have a look at this model's curly fringe.

http://www.hairfinder.com/haircollections7/peter-prosser3.htm

Maybe this will give you a styling idea.

My fringe is very simular to the models but hers is prettier lol :D
The flat iron makes my curlies very fuzzy and also doesn't last long :(

I will try pin it straight and brushing until dry, blow drying with a styling product in or embrace them :eek:

Thanks for the advice :D

Natalia
April 4th, 2009, 04:25 PM
The pin it thing is a good idea :D That may help :) I think if all else fails I will buy a hairdryer and use cool settings on untame fringe :D Thanks :)

No problem darling :) i hope it works for you!

spidermom
April 4th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I figure why not use heat on hair you plan to keep trimmed anyway. Also, if it were me, I'd try it curly, snipped off just above where it would begin to bother my eyes. That's what I do with my baby short hairs around my forehead and side-face areas - twirl them around gelled fingers to encourage the curl; it looks pretty that way.

manderly
April 4th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I blast mine with full-heat on my dryer. They get trimmed regularly as Spidermom says, so it's no big deal.

A little gel rubbed into them when they're damp and them blasted with a round brush and they do my bidding.

goldenwaves
April 4th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Try clipping it down/to the side while it's drying. Works for me :)

sandigirl
April 4th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I have come to the conclusion that natural is better. If your fringe is curly then so be it. If you wash it, rub it with a towel, brush it out, tousle it, and let it air dry, you should get a great look. I love natural hair. I only blow dry for convenience or when I'm in a hurry.
That picture in the link was adorable.

Tornerose
April 4th, 2009, 10:58 PM
You could grow it out and buy fake ones.

In this thread (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=41973) there are some pics of cool-lookng curly bangs, you could look at that for inspiration. You could even put your bangs in curlers to make them behave better ;)

Tap Dancer
April 5th, 2009, 03:35 AM
How would it look if you grew them out a little and wore sideswept bangs? Have you tried that?

janeytilllie
April 5th, 2009, 07:03 AM
How would it look if you grew them out a little and wore sideswept bangs? Have you tried that?

I did try that but it looked really weird it didn't suit me :(

I bought a hair dryer today :cheese: so I am going to have a go at that :D hopefully...

cross fingers it works! lol :D

Thanks for the advice :)

janeytilllie
April 5th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I blast mine with full-heat on my dryer. They get trimmed regularly as Spidermom says, so it's no big deal.

A little gel rubbed into them when they're damp and them blasted with a round brush and they do my bidding.

I got me a hair dryer today and some gel and a big round brush :D I will blast my fringe unitl it surrenders! lol :D

janeytilllie
April 5th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Try clipping it down/to the side while it's drying. Works for me :)

I tried having a go with pinning it but has soon as I unclipped it it went up in victory! :(
So I got a hairdryer :D

janeytilllie
April 5th, 2009, 07:09 AM
You could grow it out and buy fake ones.

In this thread (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=41973) there are some pics of cool-lookng curly bangs, you could look at that for inspiration. You could even put your bangs in curlers to make them behave better ;)

I got a hairdryer today but if that fails I will try and embrace the curls :) Thanks for the advice and link ;)

LaurelSpring
April 5th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I know this is not helpful, but I would love it if my fringe did that. I was so happy once when I pincurled my hair and got lovely ringlet curls in my fringe. Love Love Love. I have tried to repeat it but havent been able to get the effect again.

Natalia
April 5th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I tried having a go with pinning it but has soon as I unclipped it it went up in victory! :(
So I got a hairdryer :D

!Aww well im sorry it didnt work but that gave me a good giggle!