PDA

View Full Version : Sebum questions.

kathyblack1
April 4th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Does all hair type produce sebum?

I've been hearing alot of curly headed gurls say that they dont really have sebum or that it doesn't really coat their entire lengths.

What get's rid of sebum?

Aubrey organics conditioners are natural and made of oils and essential oils, would that remove sebum if you co-washed with it? Also herbs like brahmi, marshmallow, amla, henna and pretty much the non-saponin herbs, do they remove sebum from your strands?

How to distribute sebum down lengths?

My hair is short, but curly, how would I distribute the sebum? I only use my fingers to style and detangle, is that called preening?

Lately my scalp has been itchy is this due to sebum production, or sebum being on my scalp?

Lots of questions, I'm sorry. If you can relate or have tips on what I can do, please by all means write them down.
If you have questions also this would be a nice place to put them down.

Thanx girls/boys:cheese:

Flaxen
April 4th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Does all hair type produce sebum?
Yes, I'm pretty sure everybody produces sebum.

I've been hearing alot of curly headed gurls say that they dont really have sebum or that it doesn't really coat their entire lengths.
Some people don't produce very much sebum, and there are also different kinds of sebum. Some is very "oily" and other sebum is very dry and crumbly and doesn't go down the length at all.

What get's rid of sebum?
Any kind of soap or shampoo will wash it away. CO will, too.

Aubrey organics conditioners are natural and made of oils and essential oils, would that remove sebum if you co-washed with it? Also herbs like brahmi, marshmallow, amla, henna and pretty much the non-saponin herbs, do they remove sebum from your strands?
I find AO conditioners too heavy to CO wash with, but other people have had success with them. Yes, herbs will clean sebum off the hair - so well in fact, that it is traditional to oil first so as not to over cleanse the hair.

How to distribute sebum down lengths?

My hair is short, but curly, how would I distribute the sebum? I only use my fingers to style and detangle, is that called preening?
A boar bristle brush works, but they're not good for curly hair. A horn comb helps move sebum, too, but even it might be difficult to get through very curly hair.

In the archive there's a thread called Snowy's Massage Technique which talks about moving sebum with the fingertips, or preening as you called it. Here's the link (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15976&highlight=massage).

Lately my scalp has been itchy is this due to sebum production, or sebum being on my scalp?
It could be the sebum, or it could be scalp flakes mixed with sebum (that's what make my head itch), or it could be a product you're using.

Lots of questions, I'm sorry. If you can relate or have tips on what I can do, please by all means write them down.

I hope I've helped! :grin:

kathyblack1
April 4th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Yes, I'm pretty sure everybody produces sebum.

Some people don't produce very much sebum, and there are also different kinds of sebum. Some is very "oily" and other sebum is very dry and crumbly and doesn't go down the length at all.

Any kind of soap or shampoo will wash it away. CO will, too.

I find AO conditioners too heavy to CO wash with, but other people have had success with them. Yes, herbs will clean sebum off the hair - so well in fact, that it is traditional to oil first so as not to over cleanse the hair.

A boar bristle brush works, but they're not good for curly hair. A horn comb helps move sebum, too, but even it might be difficult to get through very curly hair.

In the archive there's a thread called Snowy's Massage Technique which talks about moving sebum with the fingertips, or preening as you called it. Here's the link (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15976&highlight=massage).

It could be the sebum, or it could be scalp flakes mixed with sebum (that's what make my head itch), or it could be a product you're using.

I hope I've helped! :grin:

Thanks Flaxen,

You have answered my questions over and beyond:cheese:!
Thank you for the link, I'll have to check that out.:)

Centeredgirl1
April 6th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Hey Kat!!! I know you sis!!! How's it going????
Does all hair type produce sebum? YES

I've been hearing alot of curly headed gurls say that they dont really have sebum or that it doesn't really coat their entire lengths. TRUE, but you can increase sebum production through diet (Omega 3's and 6's) and exercise

What get's rid of sebum? Most shampoos

Aubrey organics conditioners are natural and made of oils and essential oils, would that remove sebum if you co-washed with it? It's more gentle and depending on how much you use would assist you in spreading it down your hair shaft. Also herbs like brahmi, marshmallow, amla, henna and pretty much the non-saponin herbs, do they remove sebum from your strands? Again, it depends on how much you use, Kinky, coarse hair does not need alot of product. the goal for us is to retain sebum not zap it.

How to distribute sebum down lengths? Massage a bit on oil on scalp and spread down hair shaft with fingers. My hair is more manageable now and I can even brush small sections once a week.

My hair is short, but curly, how would I distribute the sebum? I only use my fingers to style and detangle, is that called preening? See above, once you get sebum going, you will be able to use a wide tooth comb with no problem and a brush (in moderation)!

Lately my scalp has been itchy is this due to sebum production, or sebum being on my scalp? That's good, spread it girl.

kathyblack1
April 6th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Hey Centeredgirl!

It's been going great, I think I've gotten a growth spurt due to all this sebum spreading, LOL.
Thanks for answering my question, again...:D

Centeredgirl1
April 7th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Hey Centeredgirl!

It's been going great, I think I've gotten a growth spurt due to all this sebum spreading, LOL.
Thanks for answering my question, again...:D

Good to hear. Anytime sis.