PDA

View Full Version : Ghee as a hair oil??

ChloeDharma
April 3rd, 2008, 06:14 AM
Now i've not heard of it being used that i can remember, but i'm just wondering if it might work as a hair treatment.
I might be mad and it could be a total disaster but does anybody fancy trying this? Or more importantly....can anybody think of a reason NOT to try it?
I don't cook with it so i don't have any here, but i might have a look and see if i can find a small container of it to experiment with.....or i might chicken out......we'll see! ;)

Miss Murphy
April 3rd, 2008, 06:16 AM
Hm, I like to cook with Ghee, because it gives it that typical indian flavouring.

As for a treatment for your hair - I don't know, to be honest. There must be a reason we mainly use vegetable oils for our hairs, and not animal-based.

For those who don't know what ghee is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee

Miss Murphy
April 3rd, 2008, 06:19 AM
Hm, I just read that wiki article myself, and it says

"Absorption: Ghee is an integral part of the practice of ayurvedic herbal formulation. Since ghee is an oil, it can bond with lipid-soluble nutrients and herbs to penetrate the lipid-based cell membranes of the body. It is stated to increase the potency of certain herbs by carrying the active components to the interior of the cells where they impart the most benefit."

Sounds like it might penetrate hair, much like coconut oil does (which is why CO is so good for hair).

ChloeDharma
April 3rd, 2008, 06:29 AM
Sooooo....Miss Murphy.....seeing as you have Ghee already (i assume it's the clarified butter type and not the hydrogenated vegetable oil type?) do you fancy giving it a go? ;) I'm getting very tempted after a quick google search.....i read that wiki just after starting this thread. I'm also tempted to cook with it now as my initial concerns over it being unhealthy have been contradicted by what i read.

Miss Murphy
April 3rd, 2008, 06:32 AM
ChloeDharma - I guess I just let you venture forth :D

I hardly ever oil my hair (I think I have done it twice before), my hair just doesn't need it. So, I'm not the right test subject for this I'm afraid.

I use it for cooking only - my Indian friends introduced me to it, and it's impossible to get authentic indian taste without it.

I have this brand: http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Khanum-Pure-Butter-Ghee.html
I've had it for ages now, even moved with it - and it's still good :)

ChloeDharma
April 3rd, 2008, 07:09 AM
Damn! There was me thinking i'd found someone to volunteer as guinea pig! lol

I will definately get some, even if i only end up cooking with it....i usually use coconut oil for Indian food, but i'm actually really pleased to read that proper Ghee is valued for it's health properties in Ayurveda and that at least one study has shown it to be ok to eat.

Hair wise.....my only real concern was that it would have salt, but now i see it doesn't, that's my last reservation removed. I use full fat yogurt in my hair and it loves it so i can at least guess from that that my hair won't hate it?

Well, experiments are fun, here's hoping someone else joins in :)

Thanks for your replies Miss Murphy :)

Silver & Gold
April 3rd, 2008, 07:23 AM
You can make your own Ghee you know, it's simply clarified butter that is cooked just a tad longer until the little bits that separate begin to brown. Then you just strain the whole thing and you're done.
I'm curious about using it in hair myself. I will watch with great interest other people's experiments with this. Or perhaps I might get a wild hair (every pun intended) and try it myself.

ktani
April 3rd, 2008, 07:28 AM
There was a butter for hair thread back in the "old" LHC - it did not seem to work all that well - clarified butter may work better.

gunjee
April 3rd, 2008, 07:37 AM
Last year I did do a ghee experiment. I used store-bought ghee from the Indian store and mixed in some essential oils of geranium and lemon and some honey and it was very moisturizing. It doesn't just rinse out, you have to CO it or use shampoo or herbs to wash it out. I had used it for OCM first, and that worked well but I couldn't stick to OCM so I had it sitting around for a while and then thought I'd try using it in my hair. I applied it to dry hair until it was quite saturated, put on a showercap and slept with the stuff in my hair. It smelled like roses or I guess geraniums and was a little tacky because of the honey, but I can't say it lightened my hair because of the honey as there was only a tablespoon or so in the 6 oz or so of ghee. It turned out really soft and shiny, but I didn't stick to it as a routine either, and so I still have that ghee sitting in my cabinet. I remember someone (I think Chotee) saying it might attract ants if left around, but I didn't have any problem with ants getting in my hair or attracted to my glass jar of essential oil infused ghee.

-Shilpa

ChloeDharma
April 3rd, 2008, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the replies.....

Silver & Gold....if you do try it i'd love to hear what you think.

Ktani, i might have missed that thread, or just have a bad memory ;)....

Gunjee......well i'm definately convinced to try it now.....i'm thinking it might be an idea to cook some spices and herbs in it? Methi is the one that springs to mind as well as cayenne.....but i'd try it by itself first so i can get an idea of what it's like.
Thanks for posting that information.....now i just have to see when i can get to the Indian grocers (it's a bit of a trek from where i live to find good ones) but i needed to anyway for more Amla.....i know, not relevant and i'm rambling....so i'm shutting up now :p

ktani
April 3rd, 2008, 07:49 AM
I do not remember how it was used or whether things were added to it - clarified butter is different - it sounds like a much better option.

ChloeDharma
April 3rd, 2008, 08:04 AM
I do not remember how it was used or whether things were added to it - clarified butter is different - it sounds like a much better option.

Yes, i was thinking that :)

Are you considering experimenting with this??? ;)

(notice how i can't just get on with it.....i have to try to drag other people into it too! :p)

ktani
April 3rd, 2008, 08:07 AM
No, I am happy with catnip.

I just keep an eye out for interesting things others use.

That is how I found catnip - here in 2005.

ChloeDharma
April 3rd, 2008, 08:19 AM
Was only mucking about hun ;)

I remember trying catnip ages ago and if my memory is right then my hair liked it......great....ANOTHER herb on the shopping list! :p

ktani
April 3rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
It is really tempting to try new things - right now I do not want to tempt fate.

When I was not happy with my hair, I ranged from desperate to find something that would help to mildy concerned about tweaking my routine.

Catnip seems to be doing everything I need for my hair right now. I do not want to mess with that.

I can understand wanting others to join you though and mucking around is totally cool with me.

ChloeDharma
April 3rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
Well, "if it 'aint broke, don't fix it" hey.

It's really good that you found something that works for you.....i kind of mostly have but i have this weird desire to keep experimenting and find something even better. It's fun in a way, but a bit irritating too because i'm just never satisfied lol.

I think you have a Catnip thread so when i get to asking questions i'll post there....

I'm looking forward to the Ghee experiment now.....i just hope i can get to the store tomorrow to get some and that herb washes will get it out ok :)

ktani
April 3rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
Good luck with the ghee - I will be reading how things go.

I have found recently - it is in the catnip thread - I will be happy to help with that if you need it - that pet store catnip is better than the bulk catnip I was using.

It is fresher - sold in sealed plastic containers and usually has a higher turn over. There is also the quality control issue - pet store catnip - you can get organic - is a very competitive business.

Buy the dried leaves and flowers - I have never seen fresh catnip for sale - it usually just says catnip on the container but there is just leaves or buds - the ariel parts - those are not necessary and are more expensive.

The flowers have more oils than the leaves.

birdiefu
April 3rd, 2008, 11:08 AM
I know from another hair forum (4's type hair care) that some women like to use ghee. I would look up more info, but that forum seems to be down right now. Once it's clarified (which removes the water from the butter so it doesn't go yucky so fast), it's mostly oil and can be used like any other solid oil.

effe
April 3rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
I have tried butter in hair and washed it with li'l shampoo as the recipe pointed,it smelt pretty bad for more than a week(even after washing):eek:. I tried ghee in my face for moisturizing and even after washing it smelt bad just like butter.
After all ghee is obtained after heating butter for sometime. So I hope they stink in the same manner because they are all milk products and they can go stale if left behind for a while.
Good Luck for your experimentation:). Make sure you wash your hair without leaving any residue behind. Try adding some essential oils or herbs to mask the smell.

Ivytwine
April 3rd, 2008, 04:20 PM
I was over at my Indian friend's house the other night and we watched a Bollywood movie (with English subtitles, thankfully ;)) And they showed a village where all the women were rubbing each other's scalps & hair with ghee. So I can at least say it's not unheard of! :)

ktani
April 3rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
ChloeDharma

Ghee for hair seems to be a popular topic on boards these days...
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3969107

application of ghee - Ayruveda
http://www.usenature.com/article_ayurveda_ghee.htm

ChloeDharma
April 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
You know, i never expected so many replies when i started this thread.....thankyou everyone that has replied!

Ktani, those links were great......especially the ayurvedic link.....vata and pitta both seem to be issues for me so i think that it was a stroke of luck that i got curious about this. I was especially pleased to read that herb properties can be extracted into ghee without the oils own properties being compromised :)

ktani
April 3rd, 2008, 05:05 PM
ChloeDharma

Glad to help - you piqued my curiosity.

Shell
April 3rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Ghee is also used Ayurvedically for sore and swollen joints to sooth them. There are stories of Northern European women using "new butter" (freshly churned) butter on their hair--so only infrequently and probably only in the Spring.

I'd be afraid it would go rancid. Ghee stays good for so long because it's kept covered and relatively cool (I store mine in the fridge). If you use it, you should probably use it in a deep treatment and then wash it out. Herbs probably will work, as they work on coconut oil, so I don't see why not.

I'm going to stick with ghee for cooking and coconut oil for oiling my hair.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Fimu
August 16th, 2020, 11:49 PM
Reviving this very old thread because I'm curious if any current active LHC'ers also have experiencs with ghee, especially as pre-poo treatment.

jane_marie
August 17th, 2020, 07:25 AM
Hi Fimu!

While I have not used ghee I did occasionally use butter as a pre poo treatment before I cut off most of my bleach damage. At the time I absolutely swore by it. It made my hair very soft and shiny. I think it might be a bit too rich of a treatment if you don't have a lot of damage.

Fimu
August 17th, 2020, 08:06 AM
Hi Fimu!

While I have not used ghee I did occasionally use butter as a pre poo treatment before I cut off most of my bleach damage. At the time I absolutely swore by it. It made my hair very soft and shiny. I think it might be a bit too rich of a treatment if you don't have a lot of damage.

My hair is not bleached, but it has a lot of mechanical and environmental damage, so ghee sounds interesting to me to do before a clarifying wash (just in case it's hard to wash off).

jane_marie
August 17th, 2020, 08:16 AM
My hair is not bleached, but it has a lot of mechanical and environmental damage, so ghee sounds interesting to me to do before a clarifying wash (just in case it's hard to wash off).

It is a bit hard to wash off. That's part of the reason I have stopped using it. I only use shampoo (diluted with half water) once every two weeks otherwise I do CO now.

I have found that JBCO works better for me even when I do shampoo though.

shelomit
August 17th, 2020, 10:08 AM
It is common in my family to use ghee (or "samneh," as it's called in Arabic) as a kind of lotion on our skin. Whenever you get to the bottom of the tin, you heat it up and rub the little melted bits onto your hands and feet. I've never tried it on hair, though.