PDA

View Full Version : Trim and strange hemline now, UGH frustation

aries
April 3rd, 2009, 11:51 PM
Made the mistake of getting a trim today, ugh. The last time I went in my husband had the lady give me a slightly rounded hemline and today I wanted her to give me back my blunt hemline, last trim was 3 months ago, so she did...NOT! She trimmed straight across the bottom, about 2", but the sides still have a u shape look and there is about another 2" difference between the bottom line and evening up to the sides. Talk about a funky hemline! My husband doesn't want me to get it fixed and just let it grow out with trims every three months until it's even again. I am so anal I don't know that I can do that, I may have to go and get several inches removed to get my even hemline again. I want to cry over this because it has taken me all these years to get to 28" and I just can't seem to get beyond that point without a problem with trims. Just when I felt I was finally getting somewhere.

Self trimming is out and no one else will do it so I am stuck going to the salon. I was going to try and go a full year with no trims but for some reason I suffered a lot of breakage, splits and thinning so my hair really needed it. Maybe I will just stop getting any trims and let it grow so I don't have to go through the heartbreak of bad trims anymore.

On a lighter note she did clarify and give me a nice conditioner treat that I think made my hair feel really nice. By this evening my scalp is itching though so I am going to have to rewash tomorrow with my usual routine.

Ndnlady
April 4th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I'm sorry! I do know what you mean though, that is why hubby is now appointed to give me micro-trims when I need them.
If you get several inches cut off it may be more traumatic, maybe your husband can do micro-trims for you until you get back to the hemline you want? You can always print off a copy of the self-trimming instructions for him to study!:D He might be happy to help you out!:)

aries
April 4th, 2009, 12:23 AM
As long as I have been on these forums and shown him the self trimming instructions, he still won't do it. He shakes very bad and is very afraid of making a mistake. He would do it if he didn't shake so bad.

pdy2kn6
April 4th, 2009, 01:22 AM
argh that's a shame, i suppose its nice though that your husband cares so much about your hair and worrying that he will mess it up shows a deeper sign that he loves your hair. I would probably just be really persistent in asking him to give you microtrims, or if he won't then just maybe find a relative or friend who would, because at the end of the day it is your hair, and where as your husband may care for a little while (if you go back to your blunt cut), i think that the way hair can make you feel youself is much stronger, and would make you feel alot better :)

Debra83
April 4th, 2009, 01:28 AM
How come you are not doing the self-trim?

nessthing
April 4th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Yeah, getting the wrong hemline is the worst. I guess I'm really lucky or something, cause barring layers or other extreme-length-differing cuts, my hair seems to gradually get back to a vague steep U-shaped hemline within a couple months after getting a crappy trim. Can you just wait for nature to give you a nice hemline again?

I also can't self-trim. I'm just incapable. It's rough, isn't it?

andrea1982
April 4th, 2009, 08:04 AM
First of all, hugs! I know how frustrating this can be. I had a trim last month and lost way more than I asked for, and I posted a similar thread . Ladylonglocks suggested checking out this site

www.creaclip.com

it looks pretty fool proof, and I think I'm going to order one when I get close to needing another trim. The large guide is slightly rounded.

aahavaa
April 4th, 2009, 08:30 AM
So sorry to hear what happened to you ,totally sympathise here since that happened to me six weeks ago and I was so tempted to go somewhere else to get it fixed.However that would mean even losing more length.Id say wait a few months and see if it evens up a bit more and if not at least by then it will have grown longer so a trim would only set you back to where you are currently lengthwise.
I was also terrified of self trimming but now I know I couldnt have done any worse than what I got from a so called proffesional.

aries
April 5th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I can't do the self trim due to getting it uneven all the time which makes it shorter and shorter as some probably have experienced. I have tried it several times in the past but I just can't get it right, even on my daughter lol.

The creaclip seems really cool and like it would work but there is something about the tiny teeth on it that worry me about damage.

It is nice that my husband loves my hair enough to be very involved with it when I get trims, even bad ones. He is very persistent when it comes to waiting out the growth and getting it trimmed later but I am the one that can't stand the look. Maybe I will just stay completely bunned for the next 3 months lol. I looked at the hemline in the mirror today and it looked like the very middle, supposed to be straight across, was in a point. Made it worse for me to sit and think about waiting for it to grow back out rather than just wack it back to shorter length straight across. My first mistake was letting my husbands stylist do my hair. Should've gone to my normal stylist who at least can do a good straight across hemline.

Thank you all for your support. You have been very sweet.

SimplyLonghair
April 5th, 2009, 01:13 AM
I am so sorry that this happened. :grouphug: I looked at the creaclip and I don't think that the tiny teeth are going to be doing any damage as they are not very big and aren't going to be in there long. It is simply what stylists learn to do with a comb, use it as a straight edge. But on wavies I don't think that it would work as well. Did the stylist cut your hair wet or dry? that could be the problem if it was damp then the waves are causing the hemline issues. I would just try bunning for awhile and stay way from the scissors. I hope that you find something that will work for you and not lose you any length. But at least it is softer now so some good happened.

enfys
April 5th, 2009, 06:55 AM
No one's said it yet, but Two Week Rule! Maybe see if you can get used to it, if not think about it closer to the end of the month.

Pretty shocking someone can't cut straight across when you pay them.

LaurelSpring
April 5th, 2009, 07:40 AM
For me personally I would do the put it up and forget it thing for awhile. I have tried Feye's self trim and it was a disaster but I can do little microtrim dustings on my tassle ends. The creaclip looks like it would be a great tool also. It sounds like you need to find a hairdresser that you can really trust and be very specific with her to the point of sounding insane.

may1em
April 5th, 2009, 08:08 AM
That creaclip thing looks pretty good! I'm not sure it would be better than my current system involving a mutant comb clamp thing, though. My Google-fu is failing me today, so no link. It's a comb with a spring-loaded clamp that comes down on either side of the comb teeth so you can hold a bunch of hair still in a straight line. Works perfect for me, anyway.

OP, sorry about the trim trauma. Definitely recommend a different salon for next time - sounds like this person can't do what you need her to.

aries
April 5th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Simplylonghair, thank you for the hugs. The first day of a wash my hair is actually curly, around 3a so I think that any tools for trimming would have to be used on soaking wet hair. I really don't think, like you said, these will work but if I had an inkling they would, I would buy one.

enfys, the two week rule is very good for those that are thinking of cutting a large amount but I think in this case it's just a matter of do I want to loose 2 more inches or just wait it out. I think I decided that I'm going to wait it out. Who knows, maybe it will all straighten itself out and I can just not get a trim at all.

LaurelSpring, I think that bunning and forgetting about it like with the rest of the bad trims I have had is the best idea since I really don't want to lose anymore length. I am really trying to get beyond the 28" line. I am not changing my profile to 26" because at 1/2" a month it won't take long to get back there, it's just so frustrating to be stuck at trying to get beyond 28".

may1em, I wish you could remember what that comb clip is called and where to get it. Do you have a picture of it? I don't like the idea with the creaclip in some parts due to the way you have to get a straight hemline. The creaclip is also curved and I was thinking if I could find something straight my daughter could do the trim. Need something easy to use.