PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Henna

rapunzhell13
April 3rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
I was wondering if anyone freezes their henna after dye release specifically to get a stronger stain?

Any other related discussion is more than welcome though. :)

Tichad3
April 4th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I have just started to freeze my paste before using it. For some reason, I get better dye uptake. I don't know if it's true for all peeps, but it works for me. It seems to get all my "stubborn" silvers to color.

Zombiekins
April 4th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I freeze my henna as soon as the liquid has mixed with the powder, no waiting. The dye releases just fine when it's thawing out, so there really isn't a need to mix it, wait for release, and [ithen[/i] freeze....that actually seems like a waste of dyeing time to me.

And yeah, the general consensus is that freezing henna amps the stain. It also has the added benefit of being more "smooth" after thawing - though it may need a little extra liquid (at least, mine does).

princess
April 4th, 2009, 12:13 PM
How much time does it take for you to get the henna to release the dye that is when you thaw the stuff.

Nyghtingale
April 4th, 2009, 01:18 PM
how long can henna be frozen for? I mixed some up last week and then had to go to the hospital with my mom and just pulled it back out today. Is it still ok to use? How long does it take to thaw?

HairColoredHair
April 4th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I used my frozen henna (thawed... four times) over the period of four months...

I thawed it in warm water.

MadHatter
April 4th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I don't freeze mine just to amp up the stain. I do it because freezing seems to make it smoother, and because I'm not going to mix up a very small batch just for roots every time they need it - I'm going to mix up a lot and use it over the course of several months.

Nyghtingale
April 4th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Oh my, it did make it much smoother. very nice. I plan to make a big batch and keep it ready to go. Most of the reason I put off doing my roots as much as I should is I fail at prep, lol. This will solve that problem.

Jenny.Wren
June 14th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Does anyone know if you can freeze the Lush Henna? I have some left over and it seems a shame to throw it

Naava
June 14th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I always use freezed henna. I usually mix a bigger amount at once and then divide it into smaller portions and freeze them immediately after. I have noticed that I get better stain this way.

granitbaby
June 14th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I didn't even know I could freeze henna paste, it sounds very practical just to defrost some paste when I need it. I always keep my henna powder in the freezer so why not the paste too :)
Very interesting that the stain improves too.

kwaniesiam
June 14th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Last night I used defrosted henna for the first time, I was worried it would not stain as well but it worked just fine. It's great to know I can save it when I mix too much fresh :)