PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell new growth from damage

Laurel32
April 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
Is there any way to tell?

Sorry if this is a dumb question... I'm confused :confused:

RancheroTheBee
April 3rd, 2009, 09:07 PM
Damage is usually blunt, or it has a white dot or a split on the end.

New growth is usually gradually tapered.

Arctic_Mama
April 3rd, 2009, 11:17 PM
Yup, often your damage breakage will be kinked, stretched, split a bit, or have the white dot at the end. New growth tends to look silky and gently tapered.

Gothic Lolita
April 4th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Strange - according to this all the hairs sticking out from my top layer should be new growth. But I don't think they are as the don't seems to get longer ever. But they also don't look split....

vampodrama
April 4th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Strange - according to this all the hairs sticking out from my top layer should be new growth. But I don't think they are as the don't seems to get longer ever. But they also don't look split....

I have the exact same thing going on. when I put my hair up (bun, braid, ponytail, whatever), I get a decent handful, about 1/3 of my total hair sticking out in less than 2 inches length. all soft, tapered. all this new growth? why? and why isn't it getting any longer?

jivete
April 4th, 2009, 08:51 AM
My hair is so fine that it's hard to tell if there's a taper. I can barely see the end of the hair as it is. The white dot would be a give away if it broke from an exploded cuticle or split.

RancheroTheBee
April 4th, 2009, 09:20 AM
If the small tapered hairs around your crown aren't growing, it's possible that these hairs are:

1) Damaged hairs that have been tapered through wear (unlikely).

2) It seems like individual baby hair don't grow simply because new ones are always showing up all the time (most likely).

Wind Dragon
April 4th, 2009, 10:52 AM
2) It seems like individual baby hair don't grow simply because new ones are always showing up all the time (most likely).

Yes, most likely this. I also have hair that hits terminal at about three inches, though, so :shrug:.

Presto
April 4th, 2009, 11:29 AM
The stuff growing around the edges of my hairline, completely around my head has a shorter terminal length. So I will always have wispies, especially at my temples and nape. I also think some of this hair with a shorter terminal length is evenly distributed across my head too. Harder to tell.