PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Rat - a cautionary tale!

Katze
April 3rd, 2008, 02:40 AM
Ok, so some of you might remember I was shedding like crazy all Fall, and I had been saving the hair (and any of BF's that he added to the ball) and made a hair rat with a hairnet. I thought it would be interesting to try some different 'dos with "padding."

Mostly the rat has just lived in my hair accessory box, but yesterday I decided to let it out for my afternoon at work.

Inspired by the vintage hairdo videos posted recently, and with slightly dirty hair, I rolled the top back into a retro looking twist, then put the length into a high, not-pulled-through ponytail. On a whim, I tucked the rat under the loop of hair - hard to describe, but it just looked like a nicer, more filled-out version of a half-bun-half-ponytail dirty hair day 'do.

And the rat seemed to feel right at home. Held with just one bobby pin - and that was my mistake - it nestled right under my hair and looked good.

Then - and this was the beginning of the end, I think - I biked to work - with rain jacket, as it poured about halfway through my 40 minute ride.

When I got to work, I patted the rat a couple of times, but its texture was hard to differentiate from the rest of my hair, and everything seemed in place. My hair got fuzzy, as it does, but without being at home I decided to leave it alone

So I went around feeling confident about my hair rat all day, until AFTER getting home from going out for dinner, hair wet in the rain...and the rat was GONE!

No idea if it fell out on my ride to work, or home from work, or (gasp!) somewhere in the halls at Uni, or on the street near our house, or...! :shrug:

I really fear for the person who finds this bigger-than-my-palm wad of hair somewhere, and the nightmares they might have!

Let this be a lesson to you - if you take your rat out, make sure it is secured and doesn't get lost! Don't lose your rat like I did!

...R.I.P. hair rat - Dec 2007-April 2008...

Nat242
April 3rd, 2008, 02:48 AM
LOL! I'm sorry you lost your rat, Katze, but the image of some poor person stumbling across a huge mound of hair on the bus or on the street just cracks me up!

Hopefully, some lucky birds have a very comfy nest now, courtesy of Katze.

-- Natalie

Miss Murphy
April 3rd, 2008, 02:49 AM
LOL Katze!

What a horrible thing to happen - and yet so funny! I don't want to begin to imagine what the finder thinks of it!

Catladyintown
April 3rd, 2008, 03:04 AM
Can't stop laughing. Thanks so much for sharing your rat story.:cheese:
I think that is the only rat that I would not be scared of.

Katze
April 3rd, 2008, 03:14 AM
I know! I can't stop thinking about someone finding it and what they must be thinking...heh heh heh. Maybe it made someone's day. :cheese:

Sadly it was too balled up in its hairnet for a bird to really use, but our birds are pretty aggressive right now so I would not be surprised if they could pull it apart with their beaks - another amusing picture!

Schnee
April 3rd, 2008, 03:19 AM
hahaha, it's a funy story! I don't really know what I would have thought had I found a hair rat myself.... hm...:)

Angellen
April 3rd, 2008, 03:26 AM
When I saw the title I originally thought of some horror-animal tale. Like, a coconut oil + rodent disaster.

I'm rather relieved that this is not the case, though I will mourn the loss of said rat. If it helps any, hearing you talk about how you were saving hair to make a rat some odd months ago inspired me to do the same, and I've got a decent sized wad now. Just need to make a mental note: Make sure it is -very- secure!

jojo
April 3rd, 2008, 03:36 AM
LMAO thats hilarious, its funny me and my mum saw a dead (real) rat on the road the other day and ran screaming, waving our arms about like nutters! imagine the person who finds your rat!

Aww poor rat, i remember you making him!

jel
April 3rd, 2008, 03:40 AM
I don't really know what I would have thought had I found a hair rat myself.... hm...:)

I'm imagining it looking like a huge, wet, fuzzy spider! Eeek!

Sorry you lost your rat on the first outing, Katze...

LifeisAdventure
April 3rd, 2008, 04:20 AM
LOL!! I bet someone at your Uni is gonna find it and freak out. Ahh... I can just picture it now... nothing accompanies the halls of academia better than screaming and arms flailed in panic... like exams but more spontaneous! FUN. :silly:

Silver & Gold
April 3rd, 2008, 04:27 AM
The images this brings to mind are just tooooooo funny! I'm with Nat242, I hope that some birds find it and use it to cozy up their nest.

MemSahib
April 3rd, 2008, 07:03 AM
Thank you for starting my day out with a laugh! As someone who used to use hairpieces (think late 60s/early 70s) I can imagine how strange you felt when you realized you were missing half your hair, LOL. Great story!

harley mama
April 3rd, 2008, 07:34 AM
I am so sorry for your loss.
And my face hurts from laughing at this thread!
Thanks for the giggle!

spidermom
April 3rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the chuckle.

Kelpie
April 3rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
Oh, I'm still laughing. Very funny images are filling my head.

soleluna
April 3rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
When I saw the title I originally thought of some horror-animal tale. Like, a coconut oil + rodent disaster.

I'm rather relieved that this is not the case, though I will mourn the loss of said rat. If it helps any, hearing you talk about how you were saving hair to make a rat some odd months ago inspired me to do the same, and I've got a decent sized wad now. Just need to make a mental note: Make sure it is -very- secure!

I thought you had given your rat (animal) hair to nest in and he died from eating it... :cool:

lora410
April 3rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
Maybe a balding man found it and made it into a toupee :lol: (No offense to anyone who is experiencing hair loss) :flower:

Celebrian
April 3rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Yes, thanks for cheering me up with your cautionary tale, katze. :D

Gaelic Girl
April 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
Oh Katze, that was just the laugh I needed today! Thank you! :)

CopperHead
April 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
I have this mental picture of a crow flying away with the lost rat. :D

jupiterjuniper
April 3rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
That's pretty funny. I'd pee myself if I found a big mound of hair like that.

magicatt
April 3rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
I have been laughing reading both the original tale and the lovely images people are imagining of it's being found. Katze, thank you so much for the laugh. I am in agreement that I hope some lucky bird (or two or three) figures out that it would make a great nest material.

Islandgrrl
April 3rd, 2008, 03:26 PM
Katze, I'm so sorry you lost your rat :( But really, I couldn't stop giggling! Thanks for the laugh!

Wanderer09
April 3rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
:D

When I first saw the title, I thought your pet rat had been strangled by your hair. :p

beadedbudgie
April 3rd, 2008, 05:35 PM
Oh that's horrible you lost it, but I just can't stop laughing!

Katze
April 4th, 2008, 01:21 AM
:D

I'm going back to Uni today and wonder if anyone found it there...part of me WANTS someone to have found it, identified it, and put it in my mailbox...but, while I miss my rat, I would be embarassed to know someone watched it fall off my head.

Better is the idea that it's lying in the street or on the bike path somewhere, that someone stumbled over it and that it really made their day. Told my best friend about it last night and she said "whoever found it really needed that in their life at the moment."

Watch your rats, make sure they don't escape!

over and out

Katze

Velvettt
April 4th, 2008, 02:48 AM
I loved this! Thanks for an unexpected belly laugh!