PDA

View Full Version : Breakage at the upper layer, still

Emichiee
April 3rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
EDIT Title: It is the upper layer not the nape sorry...<_<

I posted last year about my problem, I had lots of breakage just where I make my updos, ponytails etc.
So I decided to be more careful, wear more hairfriendly styles, no more beak clips, rarely updos that need a ponytail base.

It got a little better but it did not dispappear and it is still a lot.

I really don't know what to do about it anymore, the top layer of my hair is affected (below not at all), below it is nice and smooth, not one hair sticking out...and it is a thick layer on top...:(

I was hoping someone might habe conquered that type of problem or maybe knows what else I could try.
I do have resiliant hair actually, barely any splits and no breakage anywhere down my length...it really puzzles me.

Here are recent pictures (my hair is oiled, I sharpened the pics):
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/8348/img0131b.th.jpg (http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0131b.jpg)http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9615/img0132k.th.jpg (http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0132k.jpg)http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5671/img0125.th.jpg (http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0125.jpg)http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/402/img0129e.th.jpg (http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0129e.jpg)
And here one where it is pretty much not visible..?_?..:
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7569/img0127e.th.jpg (http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0127e.jpg)

Here is what I do:

-Henna every 3 mths ( I had it before henna)
-Wear hair up with a stick or fork 80&#37; of the time, switching from very high over high to low buns frequently.
-Rarely wear barettes or elastics (once a month)
-No beak clips, no ficcare -_-
-My care is all organic, cone free of course, lots of hair oil. No products heat...basically nothing damaging.
-I do not twist tightly at the base when making buns.

It is NOT:

-new growth
-short hairs sticking out
-lack of protein
-prone to damage
-any products
-friction, no rubbing and I wear my hair in a bun on top of my head, so not the same spot affected, I lay on my nape hair to sleep.

It could be:

-too much protein? Even though my hair does not show any signs of protein overload...? But my conditioner had wheat germ protein in it.
-barettes and such
-Henna?? Even though I find it unlikely, my hair is not even dry after hennaing

Here are last years pictures:
...this time it is a little less and mainly concentrated at the nape, not much below.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/NAGAI-KAMI/Emi/breakagemarch08.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/NAGAI-KAMI/Emi/breakagemarch08_2.jpg

Any advice is greatly welcome!

Emi

Edit: sorry for the confusion, it is not my nape, I don't have any tangles or breakage there, it is the top layer of my hair at the height of my ponytail/updos.

ktani
April 3rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
I empathize. I went through something similar when I used linden tea as a conditioner. It was so bad at one point, on one side of my nape area, that I referred to it as the "no zone" as in no growth because the breakage was so bad. I s&d it but it was terrible.

It was mucilage build-up from the tea. I did have breakage and split ends elsewhere but that area was the worst for some reason. I do not do updos though to wear to go out but do use them for chores. I do not use sharp hair toys or anything like that either.

You said that you use a lot of hair oil. Perhaps it is build-up there. That hair is the most fragile.

I switched to catnip tea (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118) and never looked back. My nape hair grew in and I get 0 breakage there now. I no longer have split ends but I do have breakage elsewhe, although it is the least I have ever had. You do not have to use catnip, just figure out what coating it may be and reduce/remove it. I think that is what it may be.

ETA: One other thing that may be a contributing factor, is a bad habit I broke, of running my fingers underneath my hair to smooth it out to the ends that would catch the nape hair. I now separate my hair, using my hand and thumb, pulling the hair gently sideways on each side, right at the nape, and I lift my hair up (from inside a collar) by gathering it as if to make a ponytail and lifting it out. My hair always tangled at the nape. With catnip, it no longer does.

AmandaPanda
April 3rd, 2009, 10:54 PM
I have some shorter hairs in the middle of the back of my head - higher than the nape. I do wear my hair up a lot too. It's kind of a no-win situation. Wear hair up = prevent damage on the length, but get possible damage at the crown....wear hair loose = no damage at the crown, but damage on the length from tangles and getting caught in/on things.

I don't understand how buildup could cause breakage

Sorry I don't have any advice. Maybe do some different things to confine your hair other than bunning. Like braids?

BTW, I cannot see any pictures

marajade
April 3rd, 2009, 10:59 PM
Could it possibly be you rubbing your head against something every day like an office chair or your car seat? Just a thought.

manderly
April 3rd, 2009, 11:12 PM
My nape is a nightmare as well. :flower:

I think it's a combination of short hairs that fall out of updos and rub, they rub when my hair is down, and it's where my head contacts the pillow.

My nape is littered with fairy knots and tangles, I I S&D that area the most, so the hairs are all very short. I honestly don't think they grow longer. :shrug:

I can suggest when you wear your hair up using a side comb or some bobby pins down low to keep all those hairs in the bun and won't let them escape.

longhairedfairy
April 4th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I had that problem worse when I wore ponytails or tight buns with a ponytail base. I used to pull two sections of the tail in opposite directions to make it tighter and had a lot of breakage from it. I don't know what caused yours, but the only thing I know to do is wait. Trimming the ends of the short hairs might help. I don't know. Sorry.:(
That said, you are one of the people with hair that I most admire. It's some of the prettiest and shiniest I've ever seen.:flower:

ETA: And I LOOOVE the beautiful dark color!

Kristen_Marie
April 4th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I have this exact same problem! I think it happens because I work the morning shift at Target where we are moving quickly and doing a lot of it for four hours. I always braid by hair, but I think it rubs up against my shirt and pieces escape. I think sleeping on it doesn't help either. Anyway, it's really frustrating. I don't know what to do about it either - thanks for posting this thread!

Emichiee
April 4th, 2009, 12:31 AM
You said that you use a lot of hair oil. Perhaps it is build-up there. That hair is the most fragile.

I switched to catnip tea (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118) and never looked back. My nape hair grew in and I get 0 breakage there now.

ETA: One other thing that may be a contributing factor, is a bad habit I broke, of running my fingers underneath my hair to smooth it out to the ends that would catch the nape hair. I now separate my hair, using my hand and thumb, pulling the hair gently sideways on each side, right at the nape, and I lift my hair up (from inside a collar) by gathering it as if to make a ponytail and lifting it out. My hair always tangled at the nape. With catnip, it no longer does.

Oh, I had to change the title, I had one word wrong, it is not the nape that troubles me...my nape is fine. I meant the top layer of hair...I do oil the lengths only, so starting at APL-BSL.
The catnip tea does sound interesting though, maybe it would benefit that area.

Sorry I don't have any advice. Maybe do some different things to confine your hair other than bunning. Like braids?

BTW, I cannot see any pictures

Braid came to my mind too, its a good idea I guess to give my nape a break. Realy the pics don't work?:confused:

Could it possibly be you rubbing your head against something every day like an office chair or your car seat? Just a thought.

No, I'm afraid thats not the reason, not even sleeping since I wear a high bun on top of my head, help with a clip and the funny thing is that area is fine.

My nape is a nightmare as well. :flower:

I think it's a combination of short hairs that fall out of updos and rub, they rub when my hair is down, and it's where my head contacts the pillow.

My nape is littered with fairy knots and tangles, I I S&D that area the most, so the hairs are all very short. I honestly don't think they grow longer. :shrug:

I can suggest when you wear your hair up using a side comb or some bobby pins down low to keep all those hairs in the bun and won't let them escape.

Hm...so sorry for the confusion, it is not my nape, my nape hairs are long happy and smooth...the top layer worries me. This is funny though that only this part is so affected...
My sister has nape tangles, oiling helped a great deal :)

I had that problem worse when I wore ponytails or tight buns with a ponytail base. I used to pull two sections of the tail in opposite directions to make it tighter and had a lot of breakage from it. I don't know what caused yours, but the only thing I know to do is wait. Trimming the ends of the short hairs might help. I don't know. Sorry.:(
That said, you are one of the people with hair that I most admire. It's some of the prettiest and shiniest I've ever seen.:flower:

ETA: And I LOOOVE the beautiful dark color!

I admit I did tighten my ponytail like that a few times (10x?):( I hope that was not the culprit.
Thank you for the nice words, my hair is a very dark cool brown, the henna gives it that nice shade of cherry coke...that said - sometimes I wonder if Henna could bother my hair in that area? It sounds crazy but I heard of people having problems with henna. My last Henna made the fine hairs at my nape very dry and fuzzy for about 1 month.:confused:

longhairedfairy
April 4th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I admit I did tighten my ponytail like that a few times (10x?):( I hope that was not the culprit.

I have read that tightening it that way pushes the hair cuticles in the wrong direction and can cause them to break off.:(

SpecialKitty
April 4th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Emichiee - it looks like ponytail damage to me. I think you could do a one-year experiment of not using any ponytail holders or barrettes at all and see if those broken hairs grow down the length. It sounds like you're doing everything else right, so that has to be it.

Emichiee
April 4th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I have read that tightening it that way pushes the hair cuticles in the wrong direction and can cause them to break off.:(

I know and I still did it, I'm horrible...was hoping a few times won't do much...

SpecialKitty

I should really try that....to see a difference even a half year of growth would be good I guess.

I love barettes though, wish there was a gentler alternative to wear that type of ponytail...*sigh*

Peter
April 4th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Hi Emichiee, I also used to tighten ponytails that way. Not just a few times like you though... many, many times. I stopped a couple of months ago and trimmed all the broken hairs I could find. When my hair breaks, the ends get crinkly and start waving in a really weird way -- so I cut a bit above this point (just like cutting a bit above a split). My hair lies a lot better now and those hairs don't frizz anymore. So maybe you could try trimming those hairs like an S&D?

Emichiee
April 4th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Hi Emichiee, I also used to tighten ponytails that way. Not just a few times like you though... many, many times. I stopped a couple of months ago and trimmed all the broken hairs I could find. When my hair breaks, the ends get crinkly and start waving in a really weird way -- so I cut a bit above this point (just like cutting a bit above a split). My hair lies a lot better now and those hairs don't frizz anymore. So maybe you could try trimming those hairs like an S&D?

I would love to trim them but I think I can not reach them...or is there a good trick? Mirror maybe?

Peter
April 4th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I would love to trim them but I think I can not reach them...or is there a good trick? Mirror maybe?
Well first, I did it right after washing my hair since they stick out more. In front of the mirror, I brought all my hair in front of my shoulders. All the broken hairs will be sticking out behind your head and you should be able to grab them and cut them. I could only do it with a mirror, so I could see where I was cutting.

You could also get them to stick out more by running your hands over your hair, but going towards your roots instead of towards the ends. I don't think this is very good for the length, so I would do it only at your nape if you need to. But this will lift up all the shorter hairs, even the healthy ones.

Gothic Lolita
April 4th, 2009, 02:08 AM
I have exactly this problem and always wondered where it came from! Thanks Emi for bringing it up!

Now I believe I figured out the culprit and it might be that in the past I used to tighten my ponytail in a very bad way and that I twist my day-to-day cinnamon bun too tightly. From now on I've a long period of no-school, so I'll only wear untwisted and very hairfriendly buns and braids.

ktani
April 4th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I knew someone with your exact problem, now that I realize where it is. For her, it was pulling her hair too tight in that area, when she twisted her hair to put it up. I can see in your pictures where it is now. It looks like just the area where your hair is twisted for an updo or where a high ponytail would have an elastic, a pressure point for hair, if you will. Something is causing too much friction/pressure there.

spidermom
April 4th, 2009, 10:40 AM
The surface of my hair looks a lot like that (but more frizzy). I know that it's some broken hairs and some newer/shorter hairs. I avoid twisting; I'm pretty sure that's the culprit for me as I don't wear ponytails or barrettes. A small claw clip is good for pulling hair back like you would do with a barrette.

Emichiee
April 4th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I just tried trimming off the short hairs in front of the mirror, pulled my hair to the side and tried to roughen up the frizzies...but somehow I must have slipped with the scissors and cut off an entire long streak of hair...it was not a whole lot of hair but I'm crying right now out of shock...
I guess I will rather leave it alone..hope it grows out. :(

I have noticed that most of the frizzies are new hairs btw., pointy tip...now that really confuses me..

Anje
April 4th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Could it be as simple as having a section of your canopy that has a shorter terminal length? I've got fuzz like this (mostly pointy ends) all through my length, and I hope it's just growth that hasn't caught up yet.

Tangles
April 4th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Unfortunately, with your straight, sleek surface, new hairs are just going to be more obvious than on wavy hair, which "breaks up" more. I don't think it's a problem, it's natural.

spidermom
April 4th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I just tried trimming off the short hairs in front of the mirror, pulled my hair to the side and tried to roughen up the frizzies...but somehow I must have slipped with the scissors and cut off an entire long streak of hair...it was not a whole lot of hair but I'm crying right now out of shock...
I guess I will rather leave it alone..hope it grows out. :(

I have noticed that most of the frizzies are new hairs btw., pointy tip...now that really confuses me..

Oh no; I'm sorry that happened to you. I use Nature's Gate Styling Putty to smooth my surface frizzies down. It doesn't work on all of them, but it works on most. My hair looks a lot smoother with it than without. Have you tried hair-styling products to give your hair a smoother surface?

Emichiee
April 5th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Could it be as simple as having a section of your canopy that has a shorter terminal length? I've got fuzz like this (mostly pointy ends) all through my length, and I hope it's just growth that hasn't caught up yet.

New growth, at least some of it I think is possible, short terminal length I doubt...almost all of my hair grows pretty long and they don't seem like the fuzz at the name or front hairline, its regular terminal hair.

Unfortunately, with your straight, sleek surface, new hairs are just going to be more obvious than on wavy hair, which "breaks up" more. I don't think it's a problem, it's natural.

But then there is still the question why the underlayer is all smooth as well as the hair above that breakage halo..and below is smoother too...:(

Oh no; I'm sorry that happened to you. I use Nature's Gate Styling Putty to smooth my surface frizzies down. It doesn't work on all of them, but it works on most. My hair looks a lot smoother with it than without. Have you tried hair-styling products to give your hair a smoother surface?

I used some hair oil for now, shea butter would be another alternative. I'm so used to not using products, my hair gets stringy so fast..

Delila
April 5th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I understand your canopy frustrations, I've always got some canopy hair that just refuses to grow very long for one reason or another.

I did have one section of hair that I damaged (got my updo caught on something without realizing, and yanked. Ow. Plus, broken hairs.) that eventually has grown out beyond the updo/ponytail tension spot, so I know there's hope.

Heidi_234
April 5th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Emi, if you want to wear ponytail without the obvious damage I'd heartily recommend you to get wide banana clip just like this one:
http://mtblog.glamour.com/beauty/blogs/girls-in-the-beauty-department/2008/11/06/1106-banana-clip_bd.jpg
They have tons of space for the hair in between, and they hold by opposing the hair's natural way to scatter. So the hair basically holds the clip closed, and it's not pressured or held tight. I really really love them! And it looks just plain drop dead gorgeous on straight hair. :thud:

Morningglory
April 5th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Hi Emichiee, :)

Many years ago when I had virgin long hair I wore a ponytail to work and often at home. My hair looked just like that in the same area. Also, last year I experienced an horrific amount of breakage from attempting the wear your hair up for a year challenge! I rarely wear my hair up because it breaks my fine hair. Even simply inserting a hair stick breaks hairs. I can hear them snap. And I try to be so careful.

Your hair is very long and it would seem to me that all of the pressure on your canopy is just too much and little by little your hairs break under pressure. Maybe you don't hear them break but, they are right exactly in the spot that you wear your updos. You wear your hair on top of your head every night in a jaw clip? That clip may be breaking hairs as well, or just the friction etc... may also be breaking them off.

I would suggest trying to not wear a bun in that area of your breakage, you could try the top of your head to not pull the canopy hairs with a bun. Or braids for a while to see if they grow out. When I stopped wearing the pony tail the broken hairs spot did grow out. I am growing out the updo breakage now! I have to simply wear my hair over one shoulder by bringing it to the front to keep it out of the way. I wear braids too. I don't know but, updo's are so great for most long hairs but, they break my hair. Maybe they are breaking yours too?

I realize you have new growth too but, the broken ones IMHO are from your updos.

I am sorry that you cut a lock of hair on accident. That is so hearbreaking and frustrating. :(

You could try sectioning the very slightest part of you canopy at the top of your head etc..., small sections at a time and pull forward to see the hairs in front. Even just a few hairs at a time. And if they look like they have been broken and are kinking funny at the ends just trim that one hair by seaperating it first. It may take doing it several times here and there. I had to do that to my breakage and it is growing back now and not tweeking out funny.

I hope that helps a little.:D

Just wanted to let you know that your hair is so lovely and your progress pictures give me so much motivation to grow out my taper and to not give up! Thanks!!!!:flowers:

Emichiee
April 6th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Emi, if you want to wear ponytail without the obvious damage I'd heartily recommend you to get wide banana clip just like this one:
http://mtblog.glamour.com/beauty/blogs/girls-in-the-beauty-department/2008/11/06/1106-banana-clip_bd.jpg
They have tons of space for the hair in between, and they hold by opposing the hair's natural way to scatter. So the hair basically holds the clip closed, and it's not pressured or held tight. I really really love them! And it looks just plain drop dead gorgeous on straight hair. :thud:

Great clip! I will try to find one like that. Thank you!:)

Morningglory

My night time bun ist high on top of my head, so it does affect another area, but there is not breakage.
I think the breakage at the nape is mainly caused by the barettes, even my buns sit higher but I remember that the barettes always slid down to that low spot. I'm sure ponytails were not the smartest choice either..
I will wear a lot of braids and high buns, see how much it helps :)
Thank you for your experience.

Rini
April 7th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Hi Emi :waving:

After I got over the blinding beauty of your gorgeous hair and actually looked at the pics you posted.....I see what you are talking about. Personally, my canopy has always been VERY fluffy/frizzy with sticking up hairs ALL over it, but I thought that it was just my natural texture. I'm VERY careful too (and have been for years now, so you'd think that if it was damage from before then the new hairs would have grown enough now).

I don't know, I think you can be too careful sometimes. :confused: I mean, in day to day living there are going to be "hair hazards" around and all you can do is try to minimize them. You already take SUPERB care of your gorgeous hair, so if you are having canopy issues, perhaps it is "natural"? I'm not saying that you shouldn't try to improve the appearance (and you can and probably are with oils etc), but I hate to see that it is stressing you and making you sad because you cannot prevent it :(

I know I'm probably being quite unhelpful in saying that your hair is gorgeous and all other ppl see is it's outrageous beauty when they behold it (and not the sticking up little wispies) :rolleyes: Still......I'd be very interested if someone came up with a way to eliminate the canopy problem once and for all :D

Take care :flowers:

Finoriel
April 7th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I had very similar breakage as a teen. For me it was high ponytails with the unfriendly elastics and squeezing too much hair into french barrettes, which was the only way to make sure they do not slide out of my hair. Switching to scrunchies and banning french barrettes helped, problem was just that I don´t like scrunchies. Now I wear hairsticks, u-pins and forks and more wrapped than twisted styles. Since developing some taper naturally coming along with longer hair, the loose styles which did not work very well for my slippery hair, hold much better than they used to.
Good luck with the banana clip, I remember them to just slide out of my hair unless I bought ones actually being too small for my ponytail circumference. Which held but caused a lot of breakage, so I stopped wearing them very fast. Most of them also had bad seams... like most pressed plastic, but maybe there are better ones available these days. We seem to have similar hairtypes, so I just wanted to mention that.
Another hairtype thing. Imo the breakage you showed us in your pictures is something everyone has to some extend. Yes, everyone. On most hairtypes it´s just not as obvious as it is on stick-straight hair. Waves or curls hide shorter hairs much better and it can be blend in with new growth and is regarded a normal amount of ´frizz´ and ´fuzzies´. On naturally non-fuzzy hairtypes a layer or shorter hair stands out more. I guess that´s just how it is. Good thing is that it´s not at all visible when you wear your hair up and just barely visible when it´s down. I would not have noticed it, if you did not point it out.

Eryka
April 7th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I agree with the braiding. The weight of long hair in a ponytail is murder on the individual hairs. I did the "tightening" thing too and my hair was always looking insanely damaged. (Your hair isn't, I just tightened mine for years.)

I can agree with the braiding, it does help a lot. I put my hair in a lowpony at the base of my neck to kill all snarls and tangles. It doesn't have to be tight, just not loose enough to fall out. You could also use a flexi 8 I imagine. Then I just do a typical 3 strand braid and then put up with hair sticks for the day. When its bed time I take out the sticks and voila, hair is perfectly braided for bed. Wake up, re-braid and repeat. Boring, but effective. Braiding will also give you some nice waves to hide any shorter hairs.

AmandaPanda
April 7th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Good luck with the banana clip, I remember them to just slide out of my hair unless I bought ones actually being too small for my ponytail circumference. Which held but caused a lot of breakage, so I stopped wearing them very fast. Most of them also had bad seams... like most pressed plastic, but maybe there are better ones available these days.

France Luxe makes some similar ones

MsBubbles
May 13th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I have just noticed my hair is doing the same thing really badly on the left (seat-belt) side. :( I just reread this whole thread looking for ideas or comfort! I like the idea of low, easy braid wrapped around a stick or something.

I don't wear ponytails. I wear my hair down only 1/4 of the time. Now I'm thinking I should wear it down longer, and that twisting and putting it into a bun or ficcare might be causing this feathering.

I can't really tell if it's breaks or baby hairs, though, but the overall effect against my otherwise straight flat hair is a damaged appearance :disbelief .

By the lengths of these hairs they are about 1 year old - so right about when I joined LHC! Maybe it's just a matter of time, til they blend with the rest of my hair?

Emi did you get any relief or come to any further conclusions about yours?

eshta
May 13th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Another hairtype thing. Imo the breakage you showed us in your pictures is something everyone has to some extend. Yes, everyone. On most hairtypes it´s just not as obvious as it is on stick-straight hair. Waves or curls hide shorter hairs much better and it can be blend in with new growth and is regarded a normal amount of ´frizz´ and ´fuzzies´. On naturally non-fuzzy hairtypes a layer or shorter hair stands out more.

Yes exactly. Maybe it's also more noticable because of your dark hair color and extreme shinyness (sp?). I know the shine and texture henna gives my hair makes my shorter breakage/new growth hairs a lot more noticable.

Morningglory
May 13th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I noticed that when you comb your hair with that comb in the video and your avatar picture, you comb from the top of your head and then stop around your shoulders by pulling the comb away from your head. This could cause breakage.

Just another thought...:)

spidermom
May 13th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I wonder how you know for sure it's not newer, shorter hairs growing in. (because if I learn how you know, maybe it will help me sort out my own canopy issues)

eresh
May 13th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I have this too, the shorter sticking-out hairs, but over the whole length.
From old breakage, too obsessive S&D sessions, cat-damage, new growths (most of them...pointy tips)
and hairs I had cut shorter to make some faceframing strands which are now growing longer again
(I cut new ones...stupid, not the exact same strands).

I found that barrettes cause a LOT of breakage on my hair.
So now I only use forks/sticks/amishpins for buns and pantyhose for ponytail.
I banned barrettes.
And I started a new shampoo with is called "smooth and straight", it's supposed to make frizzy ends behave.
Only used it 2x and no effect yet.

If the shampoo doesn't help I'll just have to be patient and let them grow.
Braiding every night helps, and braidwaves when I wear my hair loose hides the sticking out ends ;-)

But really, I think everyone has those shorter hairs sticking out.

btw, I notice them more on myself in the spring weather.

SimplyLonghair
May 13th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I guess I will rather leave it alone..hope it grows out. :(Oh Emi! I am sorry that this happened. And that I am late in chiming in! :o

I had thought that new growth might be what was happening.

But then there is still the question why the underlayer is all smooth as well as the hair above that breakage halo..and below is smoother too...:(

I think that a lot of it is not breakage but new growth, that is always different lengths coming in.

As to why the under growth doesn't show this is just based on the way that the hair is shaped and falls. When it is underneath the others keep it in line as it were, when it is on the canopy it has no weight except its own to keep it in place and it is too light. If that makes sense.

Emichiee
May 13th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Simply Longhair

I think that could be a reason why it shows this much. And some of those hairs really seem to be new growth. I just never noticed my last shed was that big.

I noticed that when you comb your hair with that comb in the video and your avatar picture, you comb from the top of your head and then stop around your shoulders by pulling the comb away from your head. This could cause breakage.

Just another thought...:)

Oh that combing was just for the video :o IRL it is less spectacular and my hair over my shoulders

Update:

The frizzies really seem to be growing out for the most part, it looks less obvious now and it seems to have grown down a bit, below the ponytail holder spot if that makes sense.

I will take new pictures once I see definete progress.

I have been avoiding barettes and similar hair toys, and I rarely wear a ponytail.:)

MsBubbles
May 13th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I wonder how you know for sure it's not newer, shorter hairs growing in. (because if I learn how you know, maybe it will help me sort out my own canopy issues)

I asked this question in regard to my own recent slew of featheriness on the left hand side. I think the reason I assumed it was 'damage' is that it seems to be all together, not evenly distributed over my head/hair. But that's the only reason I assumed so. Hmmm.
:hmm:

spidermom
May 13th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I asked this question in regard to my own recent slew of featheriness on the left hand side. I think the reason I assumed it was 'damage' is that it seems to be all together, not evenly distributed over my head/hair. But that's the only reason I assumed so. Hmmm.
:hmm:

A short while ago I used a hand mirror in the bathroom and most of my shorter hairs have a tapered tip so I couldn't have prevented those; they are younger growth. I had some that looked more blunt also - probably wear and tear from life. I've got that on my face, too (wear and tear).

SimplyLonghair
May 13th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I have areas that I didn't notice that I lost a lot of hair, when suddenly I noticed alot of short new hair and no longer ones! :shocked:

That was when I realized that my fringe / bangs area have a shorter terminal length. I am trying to see if I oil their roots, if I can make their terminal stretch out a bit though. :rolleyes::D

spidermom
May 13th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I have areas that I didn't notice that I lost a lot of hair, when suddenly I noticed alot of short new hair and no longer ones! :shocked:

That was when I realized that my fringe / bangs area have a shorter terminal length. I am trying to see if I oil their roots, if I can make their terminal stretch out a bit though. :rolleyes::D

Good luck with that! I have hairs around the nape of my neck that are either constantly rubbed off (I sleep with my hair up) or have a shorter terminal length. They make pretty curls on a humid day when I have my hair up, though; one good thing, no matter what causes them.

SimplyLonghair
May 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Good luck with that! I have hairs around the nape of my neck that are either constantly rubbed off (I sleep with my hair up) or have a shorter terminal length. They make pretty curls on a humid day when I have my hair up, though; one good thing, no matter what causes them.
Thanks Spidermom, I figure what the heck, I am trying emu oil as it has gotten me new growth elsewhere. So I thought maybe:o:rolleyes:

Isilme
May 13th, 2009, 06:02 PM
have you tried french/dutch braiding? That would turn the top layer down under your under layer and if it's damage, you could hide it with your smooth under layer of hair.

Maelyssa
May 17th, 2009, 08:07 PM
What a great thread Emi because I've just noticed the same thing with my hair about a week ago in the same area & I've been trying to determine if it's new growth or breakage or both. Since I know that even though I had reduced the amount of ponytails I still do them so I suppose that I should really really cut down on them. Even with the kindest gentlest holders the ponytails still end up causing breakage.