PDA

View Full Version : My stylist is so good but.....

whiteisle
April 3rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
In November I finally went back to the lady who use to cut my hair so I could get a good trim and somewhat of a style cut in. She is VERY good at what she does and I've never gotten a bad cut from her ( I may not have liked the style per se, but the cut has always been right on).

I just went back again for a trim a couple of days ago and she jokingly said, "No, I will NOT cut it short!" I told her I agreed and that I was on my way down.....we are going long so all I needed was a little trim. No problem. While in the chair I told her I wanted to shoot for bra strap length. She said, "Sure you can do that but there won't be much on the top." Apparantly, she is of the philosophy that the longer you hair is the thinner it gets around the hairline area. That's the same thing she told my mom a couple of years ago when she went in for a trim. Her hair was at her mid-back, past BSL, and I thought looked fine except needing a little trim. When she left she was minus about 6-8 inches! :agape:
I really like the way she is so careful, confident, and conscientious about how she cuts hair but I wonder if she will be on board with my growing endeavor.

Has anyone else heard that as your hair gets longer it gets thinner on top and around the hairline??

amaiaisabella
April 3rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
Maybe she thinks that because the hair lies flatter as it gets longer, that it looks thinner or less full? :confused: That's the only thing I can think of. The hairline can only get thinner due to a receding part, or extreme damage by heat/regular tight pulling of the hair into buns or ponytails.

GlassEyes
April 3rd, 2009, 08:02 PM
Haha, you wouldn't happen to live in MA, would you, because that sounds like something the woman everyone in my family goes to would say. She's also really good...but scissor happy.

My advice is that if she doesn't go along with it, find another one. I'm sure you'll find someone.

goodenough
April 3rd, 2009, 08:04 PM
If your hair gets longer, the weight might pull it down, making it look flatter at the roots, and if hair is worn pulled back tightly, you might get thinning at the temples (I remedy this with bangs, as my hairline is unattractive anyway.)

Sounds like she is trying to scare you away from growing it out. Stylists have their preferences just like we do. Some like height at the crown, some like razoring, some like short, some are obsessed with coloring. My stylist is perfect, except she has to blowdry my hair-lol. I let her because she's perfect, and because I'm just staying at waist anyway.

Just be really careful going to her. Beware of going in on a day when you feel kind of blah or aren't 100% sure of what you want. That's when it's easy to not pay as much attention. Good luck! BSL is a great length--but be warned--many of us started out wanting bsl and ended up being greedy for more:)

invisiblebabe
April 3rd, 2009, 08:09 PM
Depending on genetics, hair type, and terminal length, your hair may be thinner at the ENDS once you get to BSL, but it sure won't be thinner at the roots! I don't know who told your stylist that, but whomever she heard it from was smoking something!

whiteisle
April 3rd, 2009, 08:34 PM
BSL is a great length--but be warned--many of us started out wanting bsl and ended up being greedy for more:)

Shhhhhhh......don't tell anyone.........I really want DO want more! :D

whiteisle
April 3rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
Haha, you wouldn't happen to live in MA, would you, because that sounds like something the woman everyone in my family goes to would say. She's also really good...but scissor happy.

My advice is that if she doesn't go along with it, find another one. I'm sure you'll find someone.

LOL I live in NC......maybe we could get them together and they can have a go at each other's hair! :p