PDA

View Full Version : A different kind of CO ?

CurlyCare
April 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
I was thinking about my own routine and wondering if my "in-between washes" method was anyone's regular routine.

I've been shampoo-free for about 4 or 5 years, and I've tried pretty much everything, my favorite being Indian herbs. But right now I use CV shampoo bars as my method of washing. Usually, I put a little conditioner on the ends after washing and rinse it.

But, between those washes, I just get my hair wet, rub the scalp gently, and put a little conditioner in the length (below ears, or just the ends). I use the conditioner as conditioner, not as a cleanser as with regular CO. I rinse it out, but not as thoroughly as I would if COing. Does anyone do this kind of routine? Basically, washing with WO and then using a conditioner in the conventional way? I think I might be able to get away with it, but haven't had the nerve yet to go more than about 4 days without using the shampoo bar.

marajade
April 3rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
I've tried that before, but my scalp was too greasy at the time for WO on the top.

Presto
April 3rd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I use various methods. Primarily CO, but if my hair seems pretty fresh I can WO to get my curls back, and sometimes whatever was left of the conditioner from the previous day's "wash" seems to be all gone, so I'll add more like the final condition after a shampoo.
And every once in a while I will CWC with heavily diluted Selsun Blue when my hair gets just too lank. Seems to be about every other week I'll do a real wash like that.

I say I'm CO, but that's just my primary method of cleaning. Eventually behind my ears and near the nape just gets too stringy, no matter how long I spend rinsing, so that's where the CWC comes in.
I eventually want to try shampoo bars instead of shampoo, but I think DH will have a fit over vinegar of any sort in the shower...

xeternalsilence
April 3rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
That's what I do on my off days with a regular CO wash once a week.

CurlyCare
April 3rd, 2009, 02:35 PM
I never use vinegar anymore. I never did it at all with CV shampoo bars. You might not need it either, Presto.

Anje
April 3rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
I say go for it. I've tried something like that, but not consistently enough to let my scalp readjust to WO. The only caveat is that you may eventually get buildup from the conditioner that will need to be shampooed out. But if your conditioner doesn't build up much, this isn't likely to be a frequent occurrence.

Presto
April 3rd, 2009, 03:38 PM
Do you think shampoo bars without vinegar at all would work best with city/treated water or well water?
I should just get one and find out. :lol:
We're moving soon and we'll be on well water, so I wonder if there is any prevailing better/worse experience stories around here. I shouldn't derail this thread, I should go look in a shampoo bar thread. :D

The way I determine what I will be doing to my hair in the shower each morning is just evaluate it while I'm detangling in the morning. Flat crown? If the underlayers aren't too lank then it's a CO day. Fluffy crown? WO with more conditioner or leave ins for the length. Extra tangly ends, and greasy bits at the nape and ears? CWC time.
It's about 2 or 3 CO days for every 1 WO for me.

Call me uncommitted to CO, whatever. :D I just deliver what my hair seems to ask for each morning. I know some people stretch out their wash days, but DH likes to shower every day, and I'm in there with him and two shower heads, so there's no way not to get my hair wet. And I'm a curly, so refreshing the curls every day really works for me.

CurlyCare
April 13th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I don't really know about the water source. I have city water, and I've never lived with well water.

I tend to do the same, in terms of the morning evaluation, and the lax commitment to any particular routine. "Hello, hair. What can I do for you today?"