PDA

View Full Version : new with hormonal hair shedding/loss ?

Yvaine
April 3rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Hi. I posted an intro a few months back, but haven't posted since then for the following reason. I have been somewhat depressed about my hair lately. I am suddenly losing a lot (much more than my normal shedding) and I can see my scalp. I went off the Pill in December and I'm wondering if this could be the cause. Does anyone have any experience with this?

It also has become greasy at the roots, with flaking and itching. I used to wash 3 days a week, but now have to wash daily with Nizoral or Selsen. If I don't wash daily, it is gross and actually starts to smell bad.

I had hair loss in the past after going off the pill. The last time I asked my dermatologist and she mentioned androgenic alopecia because a lot of loss was happening at the crown. Then my hair came back and was thick again all over, so obviously it wasn't that. I guess I should assume it will come back again, but it is hard to watch it and wait.

I am upset because I just decided to grow out my hair last year. Now this is happening and ruining my efforts. It has grown some, but it doesn't look nice at all. I'm trying to figure out what to do about it. I have been taking Biotin, B-Vitamins, and MSM.

Sorry that was so lengthy and somewhat personal. I'm just at a loss. No one I know personally has any insight into what is happening to me.

Thanks.
Yvaine

auburnlocks
April 3rd, 2009, 12:12 PM
I am so sorry. I know that you must be really upset right now, and, I can tell you are pretty sad. :(

Go see your doctor. Maybe the one you saw the last time?

Get checked out. Make sure there is nothing more serious going on. Get better.

After my twins came I had some serious shed. I was scared, but it did stop over time. However, I never lost enough that I could see my scalp.

Get with your doctor. I think you will feel so much beter once you have. ANd if they won't take it serious, go get a second opinioun. Seriously, your doc. should care about your total well being and this is a big part of that.

Keep us posted. We do care. God bless! :o

SimplyLonghair
April 3rd, 2009, 12:13 PM
Androgonic has to do with the hormonal shedding and it sounds as if you are dealing with that kind of shedding again. Because of the BC. It is the same as shedding due to a pregnancy being over. I would also make sure that you have enough iron as the reason for over 60% of all hair loss is from low iron. HTH Mostly just don't stress and take care of yourself.

hennaphile
April 4th, 2009, 02:52 AM
I know how you feel. If it is from the BC it will likely stop at some point. I'm really sorry you have to go through this

jel
April 4th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Hi, I know exactly how you feel as I recently experienced a prolonged heavy shedding that reduced my ponytail circumference by almost 25%. My GP had me switch the BC to a different type, and also recommended some iron supplements. Although my iron levels were within a normal range, they were too low to sustain hair growth, apparently! So, I agree with this:

I would also make sure that you have enough iron as the reason for over 60% of all hair loss is from low iron.

BTW, I presume you have a good reason for going off the pill. If it is for pregnancy, I understand women often experience improved hair growth during that time, and you can go back on the BCP after...

Speckla
April 4th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Were you taking a progesterone bc pill? Those will stop a lot of normal shedding when you take them and then you will shed all those hairs when you stop. Progestrone is the most dominent hormone in your body during pregnancy and that's why a lot of women have a large shed after birth.

marialena
April 4th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I would advice you to check all your hormones one more time. And check your thyroid as well .
I had the same problem about two years ago. I had a miscarriage I lost a lot of blood and then I had anemia and messed up hormones. It took me six months to solve the problem with the anemia, and almost a year to balance my hormones. I changed 4 different kind of pills and the best pill was that who had progesterone in it ( but that doesn't mean that this is going to work for you of course ) My doctor told me to check my thyroid as well cause is one of the basic reasons for loosing hair. . Of course all this time I was keep on loosing hair, a lot of hair ( so now that they grow back I'm looking like I have two different layers of hair on my head- the long hair and the new grown ones that stay up on my head.. ).

Now what happens with the pills if is not right for your hormones.
In my case with the first pill I gain weight but not the normal one, but the one that you look like you are pregnant of bloated with water. ( premarin)
With the second one I had huge headaches and I stop it immediately. ( marvellon)
The third was the worst cause I found some kind of cysts in my breast and I scared to death till I found out that it was just a side effect. ( triginera )
The fourth worked perfectly. ( cyclacure). In between the pills I had to check out my hormones and the results were always different ( !! ).
Anyway. Don't stay action less. Go to a special endocrinologist , don't trust gynecologists; are not experts in this matters.
I keep thinking positive.. I know is hard to have such kind of problems but don't let them put you down.
I wish the best and of course WELCOME to this forum ( I just saw that this is your first post! ) :)

Yvaine
April 6th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Thanks all. I couldn't answer at work the last few days.

I did go off the pill for a couple of reasons. #1. I keep getting migraines when I'm on the pill. I tried several different types and kept getting migraines. So that was one motivator. #2. We do plan on starting a family sometime soon (within the year), although not necessarily right this moment. However, coupled with the migraines, my husband and I would rather just chance it happening "too soon" than put me through those any longer.

I hope I'm just being overly sensitive. It's mostly thinner around the part and my former bangs that I'm growing out. If it flops to one side, there is a really thin area. On the other side, it's not so bad. A few people I've asked say they don't think it looks obvious at all, only if I point it out. Still, I used to have such thick, healthy hair until the last few years of this on/off the pill cycle. I did have surgery last summer, so I don't know if that added to the issue.

I don't eat much red meat at all, so maybe I should take an iron pill. Supposedly my iron level is fine, but they never check my ferritin. Apparently I cannot do those special requests with my insurance unless there is some provable necessity to warrant it. I do know that when I've given blood, I have been borderline anemic, but just high enough to be safe to donate. So I'm at the very low end of normal.

On a side note, the more I'm worrying about my hair thinning, the more I'm noticing other women with it. It seems like an epidemic to me all of a sudden. I never used to see this. Lately I've been reading that it is as common in women as in men!? Women supposedly wear wigs or hairpieces to hide it.

Millielie
April 10th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I have the same problem. It has started 2 month after I went off the pill but it already lasts 14 months.
I think it is androgenic but I hope it will stop nevertheless. :rolleyes: