PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Itching

Laurel32
April 3rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
My scalp itches constantly, why is this happening?!?
It is really annoying and I can't figure out what to do.

Is scalp itching damaging to my hair?

Norai
April 3rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
I've heard apple cider vinegar rinses help with scalp itch, by lowering your scalp pH and fending off bacteria. I don't don't have an itchy scalp though, so I dunno if it helps. :)

ElizaSea
April 3rd, 2009, 05:30 PM
I had a severely itchy scalp and really bad dandruff until I started washing my hair with handmade bar soap (the same stuff I use on my body) and rinsing with apple cider vinegar. I rinse mix is 4 tbs Bragg's apple cider vinegar, about 4 tbs honey, 20 drops of lavender essential oil in an empty large Bragg's bottle, and then I fill the rest with water and give it a good shake.

AJoifulNoise
April 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
I also recommend apple cider vinegar. Works for me when my scalp itches.

starla_zero
April 3rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
Yesss, ACV rinses have worked wonders on me. They've not cleared it up completely, but it's tons better :)

Peter
April 3rd, 2009, 06:45 PM
My scalp got itchy until I stopped using shampoo. Both SLS-free shampoos and stuff like Head & Shoulders caused it. I wash my hair with conditioner only now.

SpecialKitty
April 3rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
My scalp itching was due in part to chlorine. Most city water systems have chlorine residuals at every household tap. This ensures that the water stays free of bacteria. But if you are sensitive to chlorine it can cause problems. I got a shower filter at my local natural foods store that is designed to remove chlorine, among other things. My hair and scalp are in much better shape.

Two other things cause my scalp to itch - using certain kinds of shampoos and conditioners, and overwashing. Once I found a routine that worked, I washed my hair less often and my scalp itching dissipated. Using less conditioner on my scalp results in less buildup, and less itching as well.

wintersun99
April 3rd, 2009, 06:55 PM
My scalp itched horribly (I had to wash my hair/scalp daily) to prevent it. What I found helped completely eliminate this issue was ditching all shampoo products that contained SLS, SLES, ALS, ALES (are those the correct abbreviations?) I now use a shampoo bar and follow with an ACV rinse. I also have used henna for almost 5 years, the tannins in henna were amazing for healthy, happy scalp. I'm almost afraid to give it up, for this very reason.

It's very difficult to advise what you might try without better, more in-depth idea of your hair routine.

rhubarbarin
April 3rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
I COed for years and had bad itching if I didn't wash every day or every other day. Now I wash with sulfate shampoos.. my scalp doesn't itch anymore, unless I go more than 3 days without a wash (of some kind).

An itchy scalp won't hurt your hair, but if you are scratching it it is friction on your roots, and if you are damaging your scalp skin that's not good.