PDA

View Full Version : The Longest Hair in the World.

marialena
April 3rd, 2009, 05:38 AM
This woman has the longest hair world record.
http://majorlycool.com/item/super-long-hair/catid/20

What is interesting is not the length of her hair but the way she washes them.
Can someone tell me, if he/she knows of course, why she's using a clothe (?? ) for washing her hair?
As long as I can see in the photo she doesn't use any kind of shampoo or soap. Have you any idea what is this liquid in the bowl ( tea?? something else?? ).
What she's doing anyway there?? :D:confused:

It would be nice if we could ask her about he hair routine..:)

Click here (http://majorlycool.com/media/1/20080119-Xie-Qiuping-Washing-Hair.jpg)

babybabycat
April 3rd, 2009, 06:23 AM
So beautiful! Love it!

pdy2kn6
April 3rd, 2009, 06:53 AM
oh yeah, ive seen this lady on google before, its so long, and amazing waves...shes been growing her hair since 1973...wow!!!! no wonder its so amazing. it took all them years to achieve. i guess she's probly just using the cloth to squeeze water on to her her hair...i hope. i hope she isnt rubbing shampoo or anything into her hair using the clothe anyway. It would be great to hear what her hair care routine is...even if it were in chinese

Anje
April 3rd, 2009, 07:25 AM
I don't suppose anyone here knows her and can invite her to LHC, can they?

However, there's no way the person in the pictures in the link has 18 feet of hair. More like 8-10 feet. Lady Grace has length like that, though I haven't seen her around here for a long time.

marialena
April 3rd, 2009, 08:17 AM
I don't suppose anyone here knows her and can invite her to LHC, can they?

I don't know her for sure Even if I knew her we would have had major communication problem! It's not Greek for me ..is just Chinese! :D

However, there's no way the person in the pictures in the link has 18 feet of hair. More like 8-10 feet. Lady Grace has length like that, though I haven't seen her around here for a long time.

I don't know if these are the longest hair ever but they are really long.. Don't they??
( what is she doing with the cloth?? :confused::confused::confused: I'm trying to imagine what's she doing there but I can't guess anything.)

joyfulmom4
April 3rd, 2009, 08:29 AM
Beautiful hair!

Did anyone else notice how many of the comments on that page said something about how she should donate to Locks of Love? :rolleyes: Oy.

eresh
April 3rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
Tea? Hmmm looks to me like dirty water, maybe henna rinse out, or lots of sand from dusty surroundings?

marialena
April 3rd, 2009, 08:32 AM
I've noticed it.. But what's that??

Aisha25
April 3rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
Do you know how disrespectful that is in eastern culture:mad: I swear,dont people think. My sister in law is chinese and she tells me how special it is when someone grows there hairs very long. Much like in India how we feel about hair:)
Anyway. She has gorgeous hairs and very well tooken care of. Looks to me that she squeezing water over them with the rag.

Beautiful hair!

Did anyone else notice how many of the comments on that page said something about how she should donate to Locks of Love? :rolleyes: Oy.

marialena
April 3rd, 2009, 08:34 AM
Tea? Hmmm looks to me like dirty water, maybe henna rinse out, or lots of sand from dusty surroundings?

She wouldn't wash her hair with dirty water. It looks more like tea. ( tea??? )Sand doesn't look like this in the water. Mad perhaps yes but dust .. bahh..

Wavelength
April 3rd, 2009, 08:54 AM
Looks to me like she's taking cloths that are soaking in water from the bowl on the stool, then squeezing the water out of them to run down her hair into the second bowl. Kind of clever, actually, and saves water.

If that's what she's doing, then the liquid in the first bowl is probably just plain water, but she has other cloths waiting in it which she'll squeeze over her hair in turn. The cloths still in the first bowl make it look like the water is tea, but it's really just the colour of the cloth. I don't think there's much water in the second (red) bowl. Seems like that's mostly her hair piled in it.

JamieLeigh
April 3rd, 2009, 09:24 AM
Beautiful hair!

I noticed. Grrrrrr..... :luke:

janeytilllie
April 3rd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Her hair is amazing and so pretty!

I think the first bowl on the table has soapy water? :hmm:and maybe she using the soapy cloth to wipe/wash her hair instead of rubbing scalp? to avoid tangles? :shrug:

Akiko
April 3rd, 2009, 09:59 AM
Does anyone remember a post with a YouTube link? It was Chinese hair washing at a Spa and posted maybe last year? In that video, nice hair was being washed with water, which looked murky. But it is some kind of herbal water. I cannot find that post or link.

Maybe the woman in the picture is using some kind of herbs to wash her hair, too?

RoseRedDead
April 3rd, 2009, 10:27 AM
Wow. :D That's lot of hair... The bit about hypothesized cloth-squeezing is interesting... I will have to remember that when our bathroom is out of commission again.

Forever_Sophie
April 3rd, 2009, 10:38 AM
Her hair is amazing and so pretty!

I think the first bowl on the table has soapy water? :hmm:and maybe she using the soapy cloth to wipe/wash her hair instead of rubbing scalp? to avoid tangles? :shrug:

I thought it looked sudsy, too.

Her hair is gorgeous!!

Spike
April 3rd, 2009, 10:58 AM
Wow. With those genetics, one could have a blunt hemline at ankle.

Simply wow.

Eireann
April 3rd, 2009, 11:14 AM
I'm impressed that there were no negative comments. Is that just a US thing? My favorite comment was "have ever tried headbanging with that hair?" :p

eresh
April 3rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
She wouldn't wash her hair with dirty water. It looks more like tea. ( tea??? )Sand doesn't look like this in the water. Mad perhaps yes but dust .. bahh..

:confused: Maybe it's me but it sounds like you're mad at me for my answer :confused:

To _me_ the water looks brown, so I thought that was the water she already used (and thus dirty with washed out dust or sand or some rinsed out hennamixture), and that she is busy doing something else in the second bowl afterwards.

Oh well :rolleyes:

ratgirldjh
April 3rd, 2009, 01:38 PM
maybe she is using shikakai mixed with water. if you add a lot of water it still looks that color and it does foam a little bit...

Flaxen
April 3rd, 2009, 01:57 PM
It looks like she has washed her hair with a tea made from crushed camellia seeds. There used to be a shop that sold such a product for hair, but I just checked, and it is gone. I tried it, and it didn't clean very well for me, but maybe I didn't leave it on long enough. :shrug:

Eryka
April 3rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
:confused: Maybe it's me but it sounds like you're mad at me for my answer :confused:

To _me_ the water looks brown, so I thought that was the water she already used (and thus dirty with washed out dust or sand or some rinsed out hennamixture), and that she is busy doing something else in the second bowl afterwards.

She meant to type "mud"

kwaniesiam
April 3rd, 2009, 02:02 PM

I think Manderly meant mad as in crazy, a crazy answer but a definite possibility :flower:

That is some pretty and impressive hair! I wonder how often she washes the length, or if she normally does scalp washes in between sessions?

sapphire-o
April 3rd, 2009, 02:16 PM
I remember washing my hair in a bowl of standing water and using washcloth to bring the water up. It's just standard. You could use a pitcher to rinse, except you're more likely to spill. I never liked washing my hair that way. Feels like it didn't rinse well. I used to run to the tap and turn on the cold water and rinse through with it (no hot water back then). My mom thought that's crazy but I was used to it. :D

I wish my hair has that kind of terminal length.

freznow
April 3rd, 2009, 02:35 PM
The wash cloth makes it easier to direct the application of water, and actually absorbs some dirt and oils itself.

My opinion of the bowl of water is that it's some herbal mixture of mildly cleansing and conditioning herbs. So, yes, a tea of sorts. (Like Akiko was mentioning. I remember that thread!)

eresh
April 3rd, 2009, 03:58 PM
I was replying to post #10, not by Manderly.

Just came across as telling off or something.("she wouldn't"... and "bahh")
Oh well, nevermind...internet communication is hard.

Beatnik Guy
April 3rd, 2009, 04:04 PM
I've noticed it.. But what's that??
Lox of Luv? An American phenomenon, exposed (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html) in the NYT but still common. :mad:

marialena
April 3rd, 2009, 04:07 PM

Noooo..:( I was just wondering about what this bowl had in it and I answered really seriously..
Sorry if it looked like something different. ( no I wasn't ironic or something like that. - blame my English skills who are the worst you can see in a forum.. ) :)

BranwenWolf
April 3rd, 2009, 04:13 PM
What lovely hair. There's something about long, black, glossy waves.

eresh
April 3rd, 2009, 04:13 PM
It's alright, I'm just in an emotional "taking everything the wrong way-mood", so it's my own fault for reacting when I know I probably shouldn't.

/me takes some cheese and a chillpill :)

RedStripe
April 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Lox of Luv? An American phenomenon, exposed (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html) in the NYT but still common. :mad:

Lox? OK, let's all donate our smoked salmon. And cream cheese, of course!:cheese:

Jessaka
April 3rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
I don't know what she's using, but whatever it is - it's working haha. Her hair is beautiful. I don't think I could let my hair get that long though, I am so lazy. Looks like some work to wash that thing :D hahah.

marialena
April 3rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
And something else. Girls I DON'T write and I don't read so fast as you do! Don't think that I don't answer immediately because I want to offend you or something like that. And there is another thing. My time zone at least 6-7 hours from yours. Usually the time that this forum is on it's highs I sleep.

Eresh really I didn't mean to offend you, and I didn't write something with ironic mood. ( and the word "bahh" is something quite common in Greek language and is used for expressing doubt)..

marialena
April 3rd, 2009, 04:22 PM
I don't know what she's using, but whatever it is - it's working haha. Her hair is beautiful. I don't think I could let my hair get that long though, I am so lazy. Looks like some work to wash that thing :D hahah.

If she needs 3 hours to wash she probably will has problems with her back.. ( don't mention the weight of her hair.. there must be quite heavy..eh?? )

marialena
April 3rd, 2009, 04:34 PM

Sorry to say that but I found the whole story stupid. People with cancer and any kind of disease that leads to chemotherapy, don't need wigs but psychological support. They need money for the cost of their treatments and more concern and interest from healthy people.
And on the other hand I find that there is nothing to shame about becoming bald while you're fighting for your life.
So there is no reason to hide it behind wigs, from human hair or artificial.
Life is more precious than hair, ( I don't say that our hair is not precious in their way ) but all in this life is a matter of priorities. An if at last live itself is the biggest priority I see no use of being long haired but corpse.

Very unfortunate idea this Locks of Love idea.. And quite unfortunate commercial trick for the company that used it.

marialena
April 3rd, 2009, 04:37 PM
*** replay cause I write everything wrong**

An if life itself is the biggest priority I see no use of being long haired but corpse.

Thank you for the understanding :D

spidermom
April 3rd, 2009, 05:07 PM
I read about this woman awhile back - somebody interviewed her. She said that she washed her hair once every couple of weeks, co-workers helped her, and she used an entire bottle of shampoo. Then she rides standing in the back of a truck to start the drying process.

Jessaka
April 3rd, 2009, 05:07 PM
If she needs 3 hours to wash she probably will has problems with her back.. ( don't mention the weight of her hair.. there must be quite heavy..eh?? )

3 hours to wash...my gosh, I take like less than 5 minutes to wash mine. & yeahhh probably is kinda heavy hahah.

marialena
April 3rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
@spidermom :shocked: :disbelief It sounds like a joke.. :D especially the drying process (ha ha ha ha.. what shes says to her husband/ boyfriend?? " And now darling I'm leaving .. I have to dry my hair. See you tomorrow" ha ha ha ha )

Elenna
April 3rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
Well there's one thing for washing hair that I don't want to be without: like a shower!

effe
April 3rd, 2009, 05:27 PM
3 hours to wash...my gosh, I take like less than 5 minutes to wash mine. & yeahhh probably is kinda heavy hahah.

Whoa !!! Just 5 minutes. I spend 1/2 hour in bathroom during my hair wash day.:mad:

By the way...I think such long hair requires patience.:rolleyes:

sapphire-o
April 3rd, 2009, 05:28 PM
Maybe she doesn't own a hot water tank or shower. The 3 hours is mostly used for heating up water on the stove and mixing with cool water. :) With her length and thickness it would take many kettles of water to rinse it clean, especially if she doesn't dunk her head under cold tap water like I did. :D

Warm showers are one of the most wonderful things in modernized world. :D

Darkhorse1
April 3rd, 2009, 05:28 PM
This makes me mad--WHY should she donate her hair to locks of love?? We all have blood that we can donate, which is a lot more important than hair for wigs, but do we see people lining up to do that for free? no.

Grrr. It's her hair, she has a choice to do what she wants with it.

Man, that makes me grumpy.

marialena
April 3rd, 2009, 05:44 PM
Whoa !!! Just 5 minutes. I spend 1/2 hour in bathroom during my hair wash day.:mad:

*Off topic* Your hair are gorgeous. They really deserve this half hour that you spend for washing them. Fantastic color fantastic shape.. ( oh I'm so jealous :o )

marialena
April 3rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
This makes me mad--WHY should she donate her hair to locks of love?? We all have blood that we can donate, which is a lot more important than hair for wigs, but do we see people lining up to do that for free? no.

Grrr. It's her hair, she has a choice to do what she wants with it.

Man, that makes me grumpy.

Don't worry dear.. Fortunately she doesn't know what this Locks of Love is, so she will not destroy her hair in order to serve some stupid commercial trick that has no real impact in the lives of sick people. ( shame for the company that thought it).

joyfulmom4
April 3rd, 2009, 05:55 PM

I don't spend more than five minutes washing my hair either. Then I wrap it in a towel turban for another 5-15 min (depends how much time I have) and comb it out. The comb out takes no more than five additional minutes. If I decide to apply some sort of oil, add a couple more. but generally, my hair care routine is very efficient, fast and simple.

DragonLady
April 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
She doesn't have running water or indoor plumbing. I lived for years where I had to do that -wash hair and body from one small bowl of water. So you wash your body first, then use the washcloth to squeeze the water into the hair, then let it drip back into the bowl. Apply shampoo, and squeeze more water on to rinse, etc. Finally, you can do a last rinse by either dipping your hair in the water, or by pouring the whole thing on it.

It saves water, but the water is always filthy by the time you're done. Even just a normal day's dust and dirt will turn that small amount of water nasty. :(

effe
April 3rd, 2009, 06:05 PM
*Off topic* Your hair are gorgeous. They really deserve this half hour that you spend for washing them. Fantastic color fantastic shape.. ( oh I'm so jealous :o )

Aww....Thank you !! You made my day.:cloud9:

Isilme
April 3rd, 2009, 06:21 PM
I'm always amazed that some people can wash their hair upside down. That creates a huge tangled mess for me! I wonder if her hair is naturally wavy or if it's braidwaves, imagine the time it takes to braid that hair.

naturalme
April 3rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
But what about all the comments from people wondering about her hair getting dirty on the ground? Duh... of course she would put it up. But as another poster mentioned earlier, it would be really heavy. I'd love to see more pictures.

ktani
April 3rd, 2009, 07:53 PM
Does anyone remember a post with a YouTube link? It was Chinese hair washing at a Spa and posted maybe last year? In that video, nice hair was being washed with water, which looked murky. But it is some kind of herbal water. I cannot find that post or link.

Maybe the woman in the picture is using some kind of herbs to wash her hair, too?

I do remember that.

Aisha25
April 3rd, 2009, 07:54 PM
@spidermom :shocked: :disbelief It sounds like a joke.. :D especially the drying process (ha ha ha ha.. what shes says to her husband/ boyfriend?? " And now darling I'm leaving .. I have to dry my hair. See you tomorrow" ha ha ha ha )
LOL! I think so too haha

Xan
April 3rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
love it beautiful, if I could grow it I might try.

Tressie
April 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
It is very beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing this!

darkwaves
April 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM

Interesting story -- and great comments from that wise and mysterious longhair who was interviewed...

Rosepatrice
April 3rd, 2009, 09:05 PM
I wonder how tall she is?

marialena
April 3rd, 2009, 09:16 PM
I have heard from some friends, that Chinese people ( contrary to the beliefs ) are tall. Especially those that live in the midland. My friend told me that especially men are very tall. 2 m high average.

Rosepatrice
April 3rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
I don't understand what 2 m means in English Terms> we go by foot measurments not milileters? thanks love rosepatrice

wintersun99
April 3rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
I don't understand what 2 m means in English Terms> we go by foot measurments not milileters? thanks love rosepatrice

It's very simple to "google" conversion tables if you don't know them off hand.

2 meters is 6 feet'ish.

http://www.qsl.net/w4sat/feetconv.htm

marialena
April 3rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Oh yes. I forgot it.. I mean meters but I don't know how many feet each meter is. :(

Rosepatrice
April 3rd, 2009, 09:29 PM
Hi i tried to google conversation charts before, and Google always misuderstands what I am asking and gives me usless info so thanks for the link.....guess i don't really it need it now, LOL!! THANK YOU love Rosepatrice

wintersun99
April 3rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
Hi i tried to google conversation charts before, and Google always misuderstands what I am asking and gives me usless info so thanks for the link.....guess i don't really it need it now, LOL!! THANK YOU love Rosepatrice

Come to think of it, I think I pulled that from a Yahoo search. :p

Anyway, back to hair...:eyebrows:

Juneii
April 3rd, 2009, 10:08 PM
I think they measured her hair wrong, that can't possibly be 18ft long, if it was it would be at least 3 times her height...

either way, that is pretty amazing, it looks so healthy too!

Hairtada
April 3rd, 2009, 11:03 PM
This is a link to a picture of the womans hair that is 18 feet long.
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records/human_body/extreme_bodies/longest_hair.aspx

Not sure who that other one is. Her hair clearly is not 18 feet. Still super long though!!

longhairedfairy
April 3rd, 2009, 11:16 PM
Stupid Locks of Love comments. :mad: I posted about it because it's annoying when people don't do their research before they say things like that! :justy:

Arctic_Mama
April 3rd, 2009, 11:31 PM
Pretty hair, though definitely not 18 feet :) I imagine if my hair was that long I may sponge it down as well (especially with no running water). It's lovely!

sapphire-o
April 4th, 2009, 12:09 AM
OK, I'm very glad that some people don't think Chinese are short, though 2M tall is way off. :D That's about 6'6". I don't think any ethnic group in the world have that kind of average height. Northern Chinese are usually taller than Southern Chinese. I'd say the average height for Chinese women that I observed were about 5'3" - 5'4". There are few very tall or very short Chinese girls. Most girls I knew were within 4" from each other in height. 5'2" or less is generally considered short, and 5'6" or more is considered tall. Most likely that lady's in the 5'2" - 5'6" range. :)

Anlbe
April 4th, 2009, 12:25 AM
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records/human_body/extreme_bodies/longest_hair.aspx

Debra83
April 4th, 2009, 12:44 AM

WOW!!! NOW THAT IS SOME REALLLLLLLLYYY LONNNNG HAIR!!!!

Chrissy
April 4th, 2009, 06:08 AM
*** replay cause I write everything wrong**

An if life itself is the biggest priority I see no use of being long haired but corpse.

Thank you for the understanding :D

I think your English is fine. You do quite well. I wish I could speak a second language as well as you do!! I only know a few words in other languages.

spidermom
April 4th, 2009, 09:30 AM

She isn't married (or wasn't at the time of the interview). There was a picture of her standing in the back of the truck right behind the cab.

rockkcor
April 4th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Long hair in China is very popular – they are having long hair contests and all…

There are many ‘******’ groups on the net – but I recommend you these two sites – first one is a group of Miss Dyq - a true longest hair in the world… For a while she was living in the states-

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dyqslonghairclub/?yguid=188920552 (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dyqslonghairclub/?yguid=188920552)

I think that you might contact her trough:

http://forum.chinalonghair.com/ (http://forum.chinalonghair.com/)

Another long-hair site – but here are the info on contests and so on…

At last – here is the best yahoo group – very well moderated…

I hope this is what would give you most of the answers…
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/FloorLengthHairClub2/?yguid=188920552

marialena
April 4th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I think that the woman in the right in this photo has longer hair than the one that keeps the world record. ( I took the picture from the links that you gave rockkcor ( I like rockers! :P )

http://www.imageshack.gr/files/0zg5x9ur9y49tsktudxr.jpg (http://www.imageshack.gr/view.php?file=0zg5x9ur9y49tsktudxr.jpg)

Forever_Sophie
April 4th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Sorry to say that but I found the whole story stupid. People with cancer and any kind of disease that leads to chemotherapy, don't need wigs but psychological support. They need money for the cost of their treatments and more concern and interest from healthy people.
And on the other hand I find that there is nothing to shame about becoming bald while you're fighting for your life.
So there is no reason to hide it behind wigs, from human hair or artificial.
Life is more precious than hair, ( I don't say that our hair is not precious in their way ) but all in this life is a matter of priorities. An if at last live itself is the biggest priority I see no use of being long haired but corpse.

Very unfortunate idea this Locks of Love idea.. And quite unfortunate commercial trick for the company that used it.

As someone who's in remission from leukemia, I am 100% with you on this! I know people freak out about losing their hair but, vain as I am, always thought there were bigger fish to fry.

She isn't married (or wasn't at the time of the interview). There was a picture of her standing in the back of the truck right behind the cab.

Wow!

I think that the woman in the right in this photo has longer hair than the one that keeps the world record. ( I took the picture from the links that you gave rockkcor ( I like rockers! :P )

http://www.imageshack.gr/files/0zg5x9ur9y49tsktudxr.jpg (http://www.imageshack.gr/view.php?file=0zg5x9ur9y49tsktudxr.jpg)

I'm amazed by this length! Wonder what her routine is like!

flapjack
April 4th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Yeah, her hair is longer than the woman who seems to hold the record. I was reading somewhere that there is an American woman with hair just as long, if not longer, also. I think there really isn't "one" person with the very longest hair, anyway. A lot of people around the world have extremely long hair, so who really knows for sure.

I've got to agree about the real help that cancer patients need. Hair is really not a big deal when you've learned you're in remission and you're going to live to grow your own hair back in the first place. Unfortunately, many older people I've known have had various forms of cancer and the chemotherapy that comes with most types of treatments... and the LAST thing they care about is their hair. The most reaction I've ever seen is a few women shed a couple tears when they cut/shaved their hair before the chemo, which is 10000000% understandable. But they always have more important things to be worrying about and accomplishing once their treatment was a successfully finished. If anything, what people seem to dislike the most is missing eyebrows and eyelashes.

marialena
April 4th, 2009, 01:53 PM
What bothers me about these, like the Locks of Love, campaigns is that they use the human pain for commercial reasons with allegedly philanthropic feelings. I hate this thing. If Dove ( or any company) wants to support this people it is better to donate some of the huge earns that makes and not making campaigns that promote people to do so ( I don't say that people must not donate, but companies do it for the publicity and not for the cancer patients).
The worst of course are those philanthropic recitals and big festivals that some super duper artists do in order to support the African people. In such cases I feel like I'm going to vomit. My boyfriend is a sound engineer and he has tell me the cost of these things from the inside.

In most cases a philanthropic recital of this kind costs more money than those that will be send at last to the poor people of this planet.
Ι hate hypocrisy anyway..