PDA

View Full Version : Beginner toy recs?

Riot Crrl
April 3rd, 2008, 12:57 AM
My problem is in three parts.

1. I am a total updo beginner.

2. I have very picky taste in accessories for myself. I like them to be as minimalistic and simple as possible. (Not for others though, y'all are gorgeous with your fancy accessories. I just don't think I can rock them.)

3. BSL with layers, need I say more.

I know that there are very simple sticks out there, but I'm having problems getting sticks to hold at this length. I used to have limited success with them when my hair was longer. And by limited success, I mean that it would stay up. It surely looked awful as I still have no idea what I'm doing to this day.

Traditional drugstore type accessories present the usual problems, like falling apart immediately or snapping across the room at inopportune moments. And breakage.

I have a birthday coming up, and I'm thinking about asking for a Ficcare. I like the looks of some of them (in plain black lol). It's about ten times more than I ever spent on a hairclip, but, y'know, I'm not paying. I would probably participate in the choosing of it, at Nordstrom, land of the most liberal policies ever. So they would probably let me try it on and stuff.

Do you think that would be a good choice for me? Any advice? TIA! :D

Cinnamon Hair
April 3rd, 2008, 01:02 AM
I think a ficcare would be an awesome choice for you. Especially since you have layers and trouble with getting updos to stay. A ficcare will clamp onto anything and stay without losing its grip mid-day. I can make the most lousy bun, clip it with a ficcare and it holds like no other.

MerryKat
April 3rd, 2008, 01:12 AM
I love hair forks and you can get them in plain wood and metal that are not overly decorated. I found that a basic high bun holds great at BSL with layers.

sapphire-o
April 3rd, 2008, 01:48 AM
Hair slides are very easy to use, too. I think a Flexi-8 would be good choice for a starter hair slide. :)

Jeni
April 3rd, 2008, 02:34 AM
Thank you for asking this question, I was wondering the same thing. I'm with you, while I like the look of fancy hair toys, I like them on others. I'm more into simple "plain" designs.

Hope you don't mind me asking question here, figured it would be better then opening a new thread on pretty much the same topic.

So ficcares will hold thinner hair? What is a flexi-8?

Hair sticks seem to slide right out of my hair (they hold OK when my hair is longer though). I like the look of forks, but with my hair being short and on the thin side, I think it might look kind of weird in my hair (giant fork, tiny amount of hair).

Jeni

frizzinator
April 3rd, 2008, 03:03 AM
Buy some skinny (size 0 or 1) double pointed metal knitting needles (Walmart or craft store), and bend them in half like this U

Two of these homemade forks will hold almost any updo. And they cost less than drug store accessories.

A faccare will hold thin hair. A small size might be the best choice. They should not close all the way, as they are a very strong clamp.

In this photo I'm wearing 2 flexi-8 toys. They are flexible slides. They are sold on the internet, so just google Flexi-8. There are many sizes and styles, plus they are inexpensive. You also can find used ones on the swap board.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/4300.jpg

Angellen
April 3rd, 2008, 03:09 AM
Before you said you were considering ficcares, just by reading the first part I was thinking that a ficcare would be great for you. They're pricey, but they hold so well. I was skeptical at first, but now I have three and am looking into purchasing a fourth! (That's nothing to some members here, though. Some people have DOZENS.)

Jeni, you can find flexi-8s here: http://www.flexi8.com/ I found them a little tricker than a ficcare (being a clip, is pretty much the most basic you can get), but that could also be because I have an 'in-between' size--it's too big for half-ups but too small for most twists. They're pretty and inexpensive and with the right size they're wonderful, too.

Katze
April 3rd, 2008, 03:19 AM
I've got fine, thin hair, don't like glitz and glitter, and am really happy with my small-size Ficcares. They recently added some new colors (a deep, rich emerald that suits me really well, a silver Lotus) and I have, all told, SIX Ficcares. None with jewels or glitter!

You have to dig around but the jewel tones of the jean blue and emerald, and the plain silver Lotus, and the black and gold Primavera, look really good in my hair and suit my more subdued style.

Don't make the mistake that I did and buy a large thinking you can grow into it - it won't hold your hair.

mini claw clips, long bobby pins, and bendy barettes also work really well for me to hold all my bangs, layers, wisps (mostly) in place.

hth!

Jeni
April 3rd, 2008, 02:13 PM
thanks y'all! I think Ill look at getting a ficcare. Yea I could of googled flexi-8, do idea why I didn't think of that- blond moment.

thanks again

Jeni

atlantaz3
April 3rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
I started with ficcare not to long ago - now have two - great for french twists. Flexi-8 sits in the drawer a lot, either I got the wrong size or it just doesn't work for me. I also tend to be all thumbs with the thing as the slider bar moves around more than a regular barrette. I do think they are cute. I have just "graduated" to hair forks and it is love at first sight. Check out some of the metal hair forks on etsy -they won't break the bank. Some folks have written blunt tips don't work for them, I have thicker hair and it works fine for me. I also think the curve of the fork (and separation of the tines) make for all day comfortable wear at least for me. I also have a rather large colorful dymonwood hair stick that I like but I tend to think because of the big ball on the end I look like a martian! minus one antenna. Don't by pass the double pointed knitting needles for chop sticks! Cheap and easy way to find out if you want to invest in more sticks. I think it's all relative play around with different kinds until you find what works for you! Good luck

jesamyn
April 3rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Also, if you're worried about the price, check ebay for ficarre clips. (I just search ficarre.) Of course beware of possible fakes and check feedback. However, I've gotten several for substantially less than you can find them in department stores.

Riot Crrl
April 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I will go look at the Ficcares. I will probably try the knitting needle forks also.

I like the Flexi-8s on all of you, but the look of them is not really "me." They are so beady and fancy.

Islandgrrl
April 3rd, 2008, 03:12 PM
Riot Crrl, I'm with you on the Flexi-8. More glitzy than I prefer. I do have a couple of glitzy hair clamps, they really just spoke to me, but the rest of my hairtoys are quite plain.

I agree, a Ficcare would be awesome (I'm saving my money for one..I just have a couple of fakes right now). I also like childrens chop sticks. My hair is almost BSL, with my shortest layer at about shoulders and I can do a cinnamon bun with a couple of sticks and not have little pokey parts sticking out everywhere. They are easy and oh, so inexpensive.

Riot Crrl
April 3rd, 2008, 03:28 PM
LOL, I think part of the problem is I have a rather large head. Also, I am short. So... the layers may be shorter than they are on a tall person, and they have further to reach around my head! LOL!

Technique could also totally be playing a role, though.

Islandgrrl if I'm not mistaken you are from the PNW somewhere? Me too! Maybe this contributes to our toy taste, it's that NW no-frills mentality.

Curlsgirl
April 3rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
I would definitely go try a Ficcare on before you buy one if you can. That way you can tell what size you need for one thing. Also if you have a sensitive scalp you will be able to tell if it pulls. My Ficcare typically pulls more than any other toy I have for some reason. I have several but I use them less than any other of my toys. Oh and there are some pretty plain flexi-8s too that aren't as flashy. I LOVE my flexi-8s and they are SO versatile!

prosperina
April 3rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
There are lots of plainer flexi 8s. And honestly, I don't see how they're any flashier than ficarres. In some styles they are plainer. (Ficarres are far too classy to be made with glitter, but even the non-jeweled ones shine and glint as some are sterling silver.)

But anyhow, if I can just sing the flexi 8s praises. I was skeptical, and then I got one. Oh my gosh! It's so comfortable. More comfortable than sticks or ficarres or anything, because I can't feel that it's attached to any scalp hair at all, and it holds wonderfully in both a half up and a full cinnamon bun--although I think I'll need an extra large soon for a cinnamon bun. Anyhow, the flexi 8 I bought on the swap board is unexpectedly nice.

Riot Crrl
April 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks for everyone's help, I've got the Ficcare Maximas in medium, in plain black. I love it, it's super comfortable and has been holding great for the hours I've had it in since I bought it. I like the design visually too.

As soon as camera charges I can post some of my meager attempts, LOL!

One more question: I really like the looks of Innovation, but they only had Maximas at Nordstrom. I wanted to get used to it first, and I still may order an Innovation later, especially if there is a sale. I read that Maximas holds more hair than the others. Can anyone confirm/deny? If I do order the Innovation, I wonder if I should get a large.

Riot Crrl
April 12th, 2008, 12:42 AM
OK, here's a couple of my sloppy messinesses. That despite how they look, stay up forever and are very comfortable! I assure you the way they look is the fault of me and not Ficcare.

Sort of a cinnamon bun thing, with ends of layers mercilessly falling out.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1602/ficcare01vt0.th.jpg (http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ficcare01vt0.jpg)

The most lopsided peacock twist ever.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/103/ficcare02ss0.th.jpg (http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ficcare02ss0.jpg)

I know you are probably looking at those ends and thinking "3a, please." But they dried while stretched in a previous cinnabun. Which looked better and kept the ends in better, but as luck would have it, of course I didn't have the camera charged while it was in. Anyway, that's what straightened my ends. Who needs flatirons when there's Ficcares?