PDA

View Full Version : Hard or soft water?

anniefish
April 2nd, 2009, 06:25 PM
How can I tell if my water is hard or soft? I want to try using Dr. Bronner's as a shampoo, but I have heard it won't work well with hard water. I have no clue if my water is hard or soft, is there a way to tell?

marialena
April 2nd, 2009, 06:45 PM
Boil some in a boiler or a metallic kettle. If you see after boiling white stains in the kettle the water is definitely hard. Another thing that shows if the water is hard is how long it takes to boil. Soft water tends to boil sooner than hard ( that's why when we make pasta we boil first the water and then we put the salt in ;) )

vintersaga
April 2nd, 2009, 06:54 PM
Also if you have hard water you can know because it often leave white stains on water taps and in the shower, and it's easy to see if they're in metallic.:flower:

Flaxen
April 2nd, 2009, 08:26 PM
Calling your water department is the best way to find out for sure. For a general idea, though, check out this map (http://www.goodwaterco.com/watereducation/hardWaterMap.htm). :smile:

Aisha25
April 2nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Calling your water department is the best way to find out for sure. For a general idea, though, check out this map (http://www.goodwaterco.com/watereducation/hardWaterMap.htm). :smile:
Flaxen you are the best:thumbsup:

Flaxen
April 2nd, 2009, 08:30 PM
Flaxen you are the best:thumbsup:

Thanks! :grin:

LHGypsyRose
April 2nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
Would well water with alot of calcium be considered hard water? I am guessing it is calcium. It leaves behind a white powdery residue that hardens in large amounts.

Anje
April 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
Yeah, water having lots of calcium or magnesium is the definition of hard water. If it leaves white deposits on your glasswear, you have hard water.

Like Flaxen said, your water department will know, if you have city water. Another option is that a lot of the water softener companies (Culligan, etc.) would love to come test your water for you. They make a little show of it, and then try to convince you to buy their stuff. (You might decide you want a softener, but if you can stand the spiel for a while, they tend to do it for free.)

If nothing else, go ahead and wash your hair with Dr. Bronner's. As it says, dilute dilute dilute! And keep some vinegar and a big cup (like a 32 oz fast food plastic cup) handy. If your hair feels awful after using it, your water's too hard to use Dr. Bronner's alone. Put a splash of vinegar in your big cup, add water, and drench your hair with it.

vintersaga
April 2nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
Would well water with alot of calcium be considered hard water? I am guessing it is calcium. It leaves behind a white powdery residue that hardens in large amounts.

Yes:) And perhaps you don't even have to call your water department, 'cause you can often find that information on their home page. :blossom:

Susana
April 2nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
google your region ;) I have hard water :S

vintersaga
April 2nd, 2009, 09:26 PM
:google::blossom:

LHGypsyRose
April 2nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
I know that we have well water scince we are buying our place, but I just wasn't sure if it was considered hard or not. I am glad that it doesn't have chlorine and all the mess that city water does, but hopfully there won't be any harsh, long term affects on my hair. So far my hair doesn't seem to mind it, but I just ordered some shampoo bars and I'm betting that I might not enjoy them as much as others do.:rolleyes:

Anje
April 2nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
You still might do OK with shampoo bars. You'll just have to be sure to do a vinegar rinse. (And if it's a little drying for you but you don't add conditioner, I've seen other folks recommend putting just a dab of conditioner in the vinegar rinse. That'll help with the moisture.)

BranwenWolf
April 2nd, 2009, 10:12 PM
I consider soft water to be a much bigger evil than hard water, but to each their own.
I'm supposed to be in a hard water area but it's softened since I'm in an apartment.

With hard water it's harder to build a lather; with soft water and LOTS of hair you will feel like you never get the soap out.
Not sure how this ties into Dr Bonner's but that was my 2 cents. :D