PDA

View Full Version : History Question for the Over-Fifty Bunch

Pixna
April 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
Does anyone remember the Clairol product Hair So New Creme Rinse? I am doing a project and need to find out when it first came on the market. I contacted the company, and, surprisingly, they don't keep those kinds of records and were perfectly useless.

I found an ad on Ebay from 1968, but I think it was around a lot earlier than that -- from the late '50s or early '60s. It was a great product -- a spray-on leave-in (wish they still made it, but I understand it was discontinued in the '80s).

If you could search your memory banks and let me know your earliest recollection of it (and confirm or disconfirm my guesstimate of its introduction), I'd sure appreciate it!!

lynnala
April 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Sorry, can't help. I was a Breck girl.:o

Carolyn
April 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
I used Breck Creme Rinse. It came in a pinky peach color and an aqua color. I also used Clairol Long and Silky when it came out when I was in college. That would have been around 1970 give or take a year. I don't remember the product you are looking for.

Pixna
April 2nd, 2009, 03:28 PM
I remember those ads, Lynnala, with the pearl in the shampoo to show how "rich and thick" it was. What "rich and thick" has to do with hair care, I don't know, but the ads were effective. I used Breck too. Who could argue with those gorgeous hair models and their long, shiny, swinging hair? :D

Pixna
April 2nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks, Carolyn. Hair So New was by Clairol and came in a pink spray bottle. It was definitely on the market in 1967, but I think it came out quite a few years before that. This is one I need to find info on, and it seems to be incredibly scarce. Here's a link to the ad on Ebay: Hair So New (http://cgi.ebay.com/1967-Ad-Clairol-Hair-So-New-Creme-Rinse-Trouble-Shooter_W0QQitemZ370179122869QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ 20090326?IMSfp=TL090326129002r11564).

Does the photo help ring a bell?

SimplyLonghair
April 2nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
I remember that my aunt used this when I was younger, since I was't around her much after 1966, until the late 80's, I know that it was in the early 60's but that is as early as I remember. Sorry I am not a bigger help. :rolleyes:

Pixna
April 2nd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Thank you, SimplyLonghair! That's very helpful. I need confirmation that I wasn't imaging it being from the late'50s or early '60s, so I really appreciate your input!!!

Thanks again!

Carolyn
April 2nd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks, Carolyn. Hair So New was by Clairol and came in a pink spray bottle. It was definitely on the market in 1967, but I think it came out quite a few years before that. This is one I need to find info on, and it seems to be incredibly scarce. Here's a link to the ad on Ebay: Hair So New (http://cgi.ebay.com/1967-Ad-Clairol-Hair-So-New-Creme-Rinse-Trouble-Shooter_W0QQitemZ370179122869QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ 20090326?IMSfp=TL090326129002r11564).

Does the photo help ring a bell?No sorry I don't remember it. I do remember buying a few issues of Ingenue magazine however. All my allowance and baby sitting money went for magazines, make up and clothes :D

darkwaves
April 2nd, 2009, 07:25 PM
I used to love Creme Rinse. It did exactly what it was supposed to do -- washed all my tangles out of my hair, and left it easy to comb.

(I bought Tame.)

What was that stuff, anyway?

zaftig2k
April 2nd, 2009, 07:52 PM
Does anyone remember the Clairol product Hair So New Creme Rinse? I am doing a project and need to find out when it first came on the market. I contacted the company, and, surprisingly, they don't keep those kinds of records and were perfectly useless.

I found an ad on Ebay from 1968, but I think it was around a lot earlier than that -- from the late '50s or early '60s. It was a great product -- a spray-on leave-in (wish they still made it, but I understand it was discontinued in the '80s).

If you could search your memory banks and let me know your earliest recollection of it (and confirm or disconfirm my guesstimate of its introduction), I'd sure appreciate it!!

Yup, I remember HairSoNew in it's pretty pink spray bottle. ;o) I do remember I was using it in Junior High School, which for me was 1966 thru 1968. I'm pretty sure it came out around 1965 ish (mid 60's). Or more to the point I don't remember it before that. Growing up around 6 family members in the hair business and a hair salon in the family I've usually got a pretty good memory for these things.
However I can't be 100% sure.

Anyway - 1963 to 1965 would be a pretty good guess from me.

ktani
April 2nd, 2009, 08:11 PM

I cannot confirm the year but here is an promotional brochure for it, with instructions on how to use it, aimed at stylists. It says that the product is new. (http://www.hair-colour.info/reconditioning-damaged-hair_2.html) You could email the website for the date of the brochure.

ktani
April 2nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
Clairol has been bought out twice. Here is the corporate history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clairol) and more. That is why P&G probably could not help you. The records you seek may not have been kept by the time the company was purchased for the 2nd time.

Pixna
April 3rd, 2009, 06:48 AM
Darkwaves, Tame was another great product. I'm not sure which came first, Hair So New (which was a leave-in) or Tame.

Zaftig, thank you so much! I can see that my research is going to have to be based on personal recollection, and your memories are very helpful.

Ktani, thank you for the links. I had seen both of those, but I hadn't thought of writing to the site for the date of the brochure. I just did that, so I appreciate your suggestion! I hope I hear back from her. I guess with all the buyouts, it's no wonder they don't have a record of their products. That's kind of sad, though -- a piece of history lost.

ktani
April 3rd, 2009, 06:54 AM
Ktani, thank you for the links. I had seen both of those, but I hadn't thought of writing to the site for the date of the brochure. I just did that, so I appreciate your suggestion! I hope I hear back from her. I guess with all the buyouts, it's no wonder they don't have a record of their products. That's kind of sad, though -- a piece of history lost.

From what I have read about them, P&G is more concerned about the future of the companies they buy and soon change formulations and products to "bring them into the 21st century".

ktani
April 3rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
and you are most welcome!