PDA

View Full Version : Indigo

camirra555
April 2nd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Hey all! I've been tossing around the idea of using indigo on my hair. My hair is already dark brown. I'm just not sure if I'm ready for the commitment. I think black hair would look really exotic on me. The permanence of it is a little scary though. Basically I'm looking for people's experience with Indigo. The pros, the cons etc. :)

camirra555
April 2nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
Oh yeah, I was also wondering if Indigo has the same conditioning properties as henna?

Isilme
April 2nd, 2009, 01:33 PM
indigo does not condition, but it doesn't damage either. If you want to use indigo you have to use henna too, otherwise you can run into problems with getting the dye to stick to your hair. Since your hair is dark, it doesn't matter, but indigo alone on light hair wouldn't look pretty. Also keep in mind that you can get red highlights in the sun since you are using henna along with the indigo.

kdaniels8811
April 2nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
If you go to www.hennaforhair.com, there is a whole book on henna, indigo, and cassia and how each affects your hair. They have a free e-book you can download and tons of information. I use 50/50 henna indigo on my hair and am thrilled with the way it looks. Let us know what you decide!

Tangles
April 2nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
I'm trying an Indigo Gloss with Rainbow Black mixed with conditioner. Pure Rainbow Black was drying. I'll let you know how it goes.

twilight_faerie
April 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
I don't have tons of experience with indigo, but I did use it a few times over henna to make my hair black. For some reason I thought it'd be less permanent than chemical black dye, that I'd be able to just Colorfix it out if I got sick of the color. Well, I did, and let me tell you, it did *not* work. Two years later, I'm still growing that black out. That stuff is permanent. So be careful.

camirra555
April 2nd, 2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks ladies! I think the looks I'm going for is like the girl in the picture here

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hairindigo/index.html

Tangles please let me know how your hair comes out.

Twilight faerie, that is what scares me is the commitment it involves. I wont do anything til I'm completely sure. Before I decide I think I'm going to go try on some black wigs just so I know how it will look. I've dyed my hair black before and loved it but it was so long ago.

Tangles
April 2nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Camirra I am trying for a dark brown, not jet black. What's your base color?

camirra555
April 2nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
My hair right now is a dark brown, I want something a bit darker. I think I want black but I'm not positive

Natalia
April 19th, 2009, 02:13 AM
I'm trying an Indigo Gloss with Rainbow Black mixed with conditioner. Pure Rainbow Black was drying. I'll let you know how it goes.

I am very interested to see how this goes for you. I just posted asking about doing an indigo gloss :p glad i found someone who is actually trying it :)