PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating a routine change

Heavenly Locks
April 2nd, 2009, 03:02 AM
What criteria do you use when you decide whether or not to keep something you have added/removed from your hair care routine?

I did CO for one month, no shampoo at all. I am trying to decide if I want to keep it.

:hmm:

manderly
April 2nd, 2009, 03:12 AM
Basically just the look & feel of my hair. :shrug:

It ain't rocket science :D

Arctic
April 2nd, 2009, 05:28 AM
If I feel I'm not happy with my hair (the look, feel, the way it hangs and swings) and/or how my scalp is feeling (I have a sensitive scalp), then it's time to go back to what has worked before or try something new. Usually scalp lets me know first if it's happy.

Omens
April 2nd, 2009, 05:57 AM
Well, how it looks, whether or not it's healthy seem to be the regular things to watch for.

But I'd say to fully test something you need to test it out for at least a month (like you did), if not longer. I like to make certain that whatever I've changed doesn't cause any weird long term effects. For instance, I've noticed that washing with shampoo only every two weeks makes my hair look terrible in the in between time, but once I wash it out, it's shiner and happier than ever. The longer I follow the routine, the better my hair is getting (not to mention my scalp), so I've decided this might be a regime I stick with even though there are aspects I dislike about it. I'm going for healthy hair in the long run, not the short run, so that impacts my choices in what to keep or not to keep.

Basically, to me, it just depends on how long I want it. If want length, then that means doing stuff that might not look/feel so great now (i.e. very greasy hair), but will improve overall condition eventually and help me get the super long hair that I want. :D

Carolyn
April 2nd, 2009, 07:09 AM
If my hair isn't behaving the way I want it to I'll switch things around. I don't think about it much. I just try something else and see if it works. I switch from CO to CWC to SC all the time. I also switch products with each wash. I like variety. I prefer CO because it seems to be gentler on my hair but sometimes my scalp seems to be begging for a real shampooing and not just a conditioner washing. So I do it. I know how often I like to wash my hair and I know that I like heavy moisturizing conditioners so I go with that. I don't lose sleep over it.

florenonite
April 2nd, 2009, 07:26 AM
Do you like the way your hair and scalp look and behave?

Do you find the régime itself tolerable (not too time-consuming, not forcing you to wash your hair more often than you want to, &c.)?

Is it cost-efficient?

If you answered no to any of the above questions you might want to try something else, but if you answered yes to them all then I'd say stay with what works!

icydove
April 2nd, 2009, 07:34 AM
I looked at your blog to get a little more insight into what was and was not working for you.

1) You mentioned CO doesn't make you scalp itchy like shampoo does. Does using shampoo in the CWC bother your scalp?

2) You believe the reason you like the CWC routine is the use of silicones. You can use silicones with a CO routine. You can use a non-cone conditioner for "washing" and then use a second cone-containing conditioner for "conditioning." You will need to clarify with shampoo occasionally to avoid build-up. That might give you the best of both worlds without irritating your scalp. An alternative is to find a leave-in conditioner with silicones, preferably water-soluable ones. Here is a good article talking about the different type of silicones and what you need to use to remove them: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/whats-the-scoop-on-silicones.

I couldn't get CO to work for me without adding a second cone conditioner. I think the problem for me was that I had a lot of damage in my hair, and the cones helped my hair feel nicer. As I got rid of the damage, I was able to stop the cones and switch over to an herbal routine.

3) It could be that the conditioner you are using for CO isn't ideal for your hair. You might try experimenting with different conditioners to see if you can get better results.

When evaluating a hair routine, I looked for my hair's appearance, softness and health.