PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Wurlies/Curlies How do YOU "plop"?

marajade
April 1st, 2009, 10:51 PM
I guess I never really understood how wurlies/curlies plop? What do you do? I wasn't quite sure where this thread belongs so please feel free to move it if necessary. The only way I have plopped is just putting my hair into a turbie towel- I am not sure this really qualifies as "plopping" though?

Roseate
April 1st, 2009, 11:42 PM
The turbie towel probably doesn't really do it because it squishes the curls- this article (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/its-a-curly-world/to-plop-or-not-to-plop)has a neat illustration that explains better than I could.

I do it pretty much like they describe- I use a flour-sack towel, put it on the toilet seat and just let my hair pile onto it, then twist the ends like in the picture and tuck them in. It gives me a much wavier result than wrapping a towel turban-style.

Jorchet
April 1st, 2009, 11:57 PM
I plop with a turban like towel, I feel it stays put better than a towel or t-shirt. I apply leave-in and gel on wet hair and then plop for about 30 mins after that, airdry.

There's tons of videos on youtube, here's one by Jessicurl, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2qD38ZYX6A) she calls it plunking, but it's the same method.

Honey39
April 2nd, 2009, 12:46 AM
I don't really plop as such - I found that the best way to gorgeous curls for me is to soak the bottom half of my hair (dripping wet), turn my head upside down and 'scrunch' with paper towels. I get wonderful curls with this method, really defined and non-fuzzy. It takes about an hour to air-dry to damp once I've done it. Would reccommend it - I read it as a tip here on LHC, I love it.

marajade
April 2nd, 2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the tips guys!

Aisha25
April 2nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
WHats a plopping? Is that when you scrunch your hair with your hands when they are wet???

Presto
April 2nd, 2009, 11:34 AM
I prefer going to bed or lying down for a nap with wet hair. I just can't leave it alone when I'm up and walking around.
I don't pillow plop often, we always shower in the mornings. :( But before meets I do!

I lay down, sweep all the hair up from underneath my head, finger lift at the roots for best volume, and just keep it in a loose pile above me for better drying. This even works on my side, I can read a book easier that way.

spidermom
April 2nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
Like presto, when I plop, it's over the top of my pillow and piled onto the bed above my pillow. I wedge another pillow between bed frame and mattress to prevent my hair from slipping over the top of the mattress and hanging toward the floor.

I get the nicest curls when I do this.

marajade
April 2nd, 2009, 12:14 PM
WHats a plopping? Is that when you scrunch your hair with your hands when they are wet???

Plopping is supposed to be a way for you to continually scrunch your hair to create more defined curls- like 30 minutes or so. There are different methods, although I am just now becoming familiar with them.