PDA

View Full Version : Does your hair like misting?

Curlsgirl
April 2nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Just wondering about this because it seems like no matter what I mix in my mister if I spray it on dry hair, it just frizzes and makes the curls sort of icky. Now if I am going to do any updo it's okay obviously because the frizz and curl formation don't matter so I do it when I do updos sometimes to help keep it moist.

Please tell me if your hair likes misting and if so what do you put in your mister, why do you do it and when/why do you use it?

girlcat36
April 2nd, 2008, 07:48 PM
My hair hates misting in all forms---plain water or exotic mixtures---it doesn't matter. It just makes more frizz.

ReadingRenee
April 2nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
My hair likes misting. what I do to have perfect "going out" hair is to spray it with plain water, and then working in a little leave in condish. I use cones so my absolute favorite is the garnier leave in for curly hair.

Yeah that wasn't very helpful was it? :)

spidermom
April 2nd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Oh my goodness - NO - my hair fluffs up and frizzes all over the place. Unfortunately the climate here is sort of like walking around in a mist all the time.

suicides_eve
April 2nd, 2008, 07:53 PM
well my hair is like yours it frizzes and gets mine of its own , now my daughter on the other hand, her hair looks so gorgeous using just water and a good cone free conditioner ( my personal favorite is Nexxus Humctress) misting til slightly damp then combing gently with a wide tooth seam free comb. i apply this to her hair in the morning before she gets real active as it can dry with out her disturbing the curl to much.

silkenblacksea
April 2nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
My hair tried to like misting for a year and a half. Although it made my hair seem dryer when it was dried. Iv'e been continuing to mist anyway, trying to tweak the recipe, as I haven't yet found a reliable way to keep it moist without buildup. I started off with glycerin in a mix of three parts oil to one part aloe juice and a squirt of condish. My hair improved quite dramatically, but would end up getting build-up rather quickly. And because I would drench it so much, my hair never really got a chance to dry thouroughly.:disgust: I now use four parts water to one part oils (avocado, and castor w/few drops rosemary e/o), only misting, not drenching, my hair is softer now, but it poofs to the high skies. I don't wear it down, at all though, so I'll keep experimenting. I'll be watching this thread with interest!

AJoifulNoise
April 2nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
When I tried misting ages ago (okay... months ago) it made my hair either oily or fluffy or bothshudder:. So, I stopped trying.

But, over the past two days my hair has been slipping right out of my updos. So, I've been taking them down, misting with distilled water, and then putting them back up again. ... And my hair seems to be enjoying that. :shrug: Dunno what that means... But, that's my 2 cents.

harley mama
April 2nd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Yes, it does. I use misting to freshen my curl if it gets to wild. I use filtered water and a few drops of lavender EO most of the time.

Feisty Redhead
April 2nd, 2008, 08:51 PM
Misting makes my hair (and in turn, me) happy. I just use water and conditioner in mine (in a 6 oz. bottle maybe a teaspoon or so of conditioner then filled the rest of the way with water) and spray my hair a few times during the day if I think to do so. It helps keep my wurls wurly and occasionally I can even encourage a few curls to form with misting + scrunching, though that largely depends on how compliant my hair decides to be at the time. :silly:

Lavendula
April 3rd, 2008, 07:59 AM
Yes, my hair likes it! I mist with distilled water and lavender EO on non-washing days to moisturize my hair and crunch the wave back in. Use some as a refresher during the day as well.

When my hair is dry, I mist my length with distilled water with some jojoba oil, aloe vera gel and EO in it. It accentuates my waves and smooths my hair.

Have you tried Kimberlily's defrizz spray yet? Maybe it's worth checking out for you. Here's the link: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277&highlight=defrizz+spray. I still haven't tried it, because I have to get some glycerin first.

Lavendula
April 3rd, 2008, 08:04 AM
Oh, by the way Curlsgirl, your hair looks gorgeous :inlove:!

Patrycja
April 3rd, 2008, 08:33 AM
My hair digs a good mist but if I use too much I get really oily scalp and the itchies something fierce!

Today is a great example of both of those since I misted too much yesterday :rolleyes:

Shorty89
April 3rd, 2008, 08:40 AM
My hair likes a good mist. I use plain water before I put it in an updo, or just after and my hair is always softer afterwords.

Curlsgirl
April 3rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
Yes, my hair likes it! I mist with distilled water and lavender EO on non-washing days to moisturize my hair and crunch the wave back in. Use some as a refresher during the day as well.

When my hair is dry, I mist my length with distilled water with some jojoba oil, aloe vera gel and EO in it. It accentuates my waves and smooths my hair.

Have you tried Kimberlily's defrizz spray yet? Maybe it's worth checking out for you. Here's the link: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277&highlight=defrizz+spray. I still haven't tried it, because I have to get some glycerin first.Yes I have. I like the misting when I am going to do an UPDO, just get frizz when I mist and leave it down anymore. Thanks though!

Oh, by the way Curlsgirl, your hair looks gorgeous :inlove:!THANKS!!!!!

wintersun99
April 3rd, 2008, 10:44 AM

soleluna
May 4th, 2008, 05:28 AM
I never tried misting but will try now. Any of you use herbal tea made with distilled water instead of pure water?
Also, why do you put conditioner in your mist? doesn't it weigh hair down since you are not rinsing it?

Rini
May 4th, 2008, 05:38 AM
My hair hates the misting :( I've tried and tried and tried (and continue to try!!) but I always get dry and crunchy hair with some parts tightly curled and others totally straight. Awful.

If I want to go from straight (from putting up when wet) to curly, I have to get in the shower and rinse totally and start again. It's OK at this short length, but I'm sure it'll be a pain when it gets longer.

Melisande
May 4th, 2008, 07:29 AM
My hair loves it, and it's one my The Great Discoveries of Long Hair Care...

I mix rose water from an Arab or Turkish bakery, Aloe Vera Gel, a tiny drop of my fave coneless conditioner and some drops of jojoba oil with distilled water. I mist my hair before I style it, and it makes my hair soft.

I keep a tiny bottle with pure rose water in my handbag. Love the feeling.

For my curly haired daughter, I add more conditioner and more oil. Her hair just sucks it up.

coppercurls
May 4th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Yes, it does. I use misting to freshen my curl if it gets to wild. I use filtered water and a few drops of lavender EO most of the time.

Ditto for me. I sometimes add a bit of glycerine too. I have been a bit lax about misting here lately though.

walkinglady
May 4th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I finally found a mist I like that doesn't weigh my hair down or leave it oily. I can also get a comb through it with ease. I use 8 oz. distilled water with one teaspoon biolage hydrotherapie. I have to warm the water a bit first so the conditioner will blend with it. I don't wear my hair down very often so I'm not sure about the frizz factor.

tmmycat
May 4th, 2008, 09:09 AM
my hair really like misting with mostly water and a tiny bit of vinegar mixed in. I do this if I slept on it funny and I have cowlicks and frizz ... spray and then comb.... it puts my hair back into its default state of waviness.

AquaViolet1973
May 4th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I put just water in my mister. I mist my hair every day that I don't wash it. I wash my hair once a week, so the rest of the week, I am misting my hair. I mist it, then scrunch my curls. It dries nice and wavy/curly. This routine for my hair works well for me.:)

psvzum
May 4th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I have to really mist the heck out of my hair to get it really moist. Then, if I add a little product and scrunch, I get my curls back. I only do this on 2nd day hair if I'm too rushed to wet it completely in the sink. If I just give it a little bit of moisture/mist, it's like being out in the rain-frizz time : )

UrbanEast
May 4th, 2008, 10:28 AM
My roots like misting, especially if they've flattened out too much. But it just seems to make the ends look frizzier and stringier.

Alaskanheart
May 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM
The climate here is pretty dry, Palm Springs is ( 30 minutes away), that being said;Yes my hair likes misting, I put Camillia oil in it so I mist and oil in one step.I use distilled water too.I like to do it before I go out because it brings the"life"back into my hair, and keeps it from looking flyaway and stragley.

ETA:It smoothes down the weird lumps and bends I tend to get a few days after my wash, and makes my hair feel more controlled, and symetrical if that makes sense.

snowbird
May 4th, 2008, 03:12 PM
My hair has never done well with misting, just make it a bit 'ick' if anything is in the bottle besides water; and just makes my hair a bit wet otherwise with no real benefits once it dries.

Islandgrrl
May 5th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I use plain water in my mister and I mist whenever I feel like my hair needs it (sorry, not so helpful). If it's being really slick and sliding out of my hairtoys, I mist it to make it a little frizzier. If it's frizzy, I mist it to make it sort of more organized (as if that makes sense).

I mist my face, too - my skin loves it.

AprilElf
May 6th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Yes, my hair likes misting. :)
I mist with filtered water once I've put my hair up and whenever I feel like it during the day. (I hardly ever mist when it's down.) Actually, I've been misting less regularly recently, since the weather has become colder here.
At night I spray the ends with a water/conditioner mix --not sure if that counts as misting.

mira-chan
May 6th, 2008, 11:57 AM
My hair absolutely hates misting. It also feels unpleasant post wash. It hates water and humecants (honey, glycerin). It hates aloe too. It doesn't frizz, it gets dry and looks like there is build up on it even after clarification. Loses shine temporarily and gets crunchy some times. Misting on scalp produces a horribly itchy scalp. Absolutely no success with damp bunning either. Using distilled water doesn't help.

Now oil in dry hair and it is happy. Coconut and sesame oils enhance waviness too.

ETA: To note, I have naturally dry hair and dry sebum that doesn't move down the length.

Dulci
May 6th, 2008, 12:14 PM
My hair doesn't like misting, just makes it frizzy and tangly. It prefers to be either totally soaked or dry, in between is when there is trouble.

When it was shorter though, about shoulder-length, I would freshen the curls by turning the shower on as hot as it would go, and then sticking my head in the steam, it really liked that.

Anlbe
May 6th, 2008, 12:26 PM
My hair only likes misting if its going to be clingfilm wrapped or put into curlers until it's dry, otherwise it just creates crunchy slightly frizzy, dull and dry looking hair.

backtonature
May 6th, 2008, 03:38 PM
My hair likes misting sometimes. If i've co-washed and put in enough conditioner as leave-in I don't need misting. But there are somedays when my hair doesn't like the new conditioner I tried or I didn't put enough leave-in on my hair and it gets really dry looking curls about 3/4 through the day thats usually when I mist.

jojo
May 7th, 2008, 02:13 PM
my hair loves misting but i find it works better when my hair is ready for being washed, it makes it frizzy else. I use water mixed with aloe vera, lavender essence oil and camillia oil.

DrkAngel
May 7th, 2008, 03:28 PM
The same thing happens to me, Curlsgirl. Misting only adds frizz. Any sort of misting. What does work, however, is if I get frizzy curls here and there and don't have time to get in the shower to wet it all over, I wet my fingers in cold water and run them over the canopy. It helps my curls clump together with no extra frizz.

I do always carry a little mister around (water + conditioner) which I use for emergency detangling (mainly on the nape area). I used to mist the canopy with it but it did no good.

birthmarkie
May 7th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I have straight hair but I get flyaways and frizz sometimes and I don't always like to use product for it. Misting seems to help sometimes, but I only use it if I need to. My mister just has filtered water in it. It doesn't seem to make my hair worse, but I know in humidity damp hair can be a problem. I'm wondering whether it would help you if you made sure that your hair was completely dry before going out? Or is this a problem inside as well?

Flaxen
May 7th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Nope, no misting here. I don't mind the frizz so much because it actually adds volume, but once the frizz dies down, my hair goes completely limp from the product in the mist.

Stephanie
May 7th, 2008, 04:57 PM
My hair loves it. When I don't use rose water, I use r/o water from our sink dispenser since we have so much crap in our water.

My hair loves moisture and does really well with a lot of misting and/or damp bunning. Misting with water alone makes my hair very sleek and shiny. Tames my funky ends, too.

harpgal
May 7th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I mist daily with only distilled water. My hair loves it! In fact, if I could mist every inch of my skin I would be very happy. But then again, I live in a very dry climate. When I go to Miami or Seattle, it is Heaven!

chrissy-b
May 7th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Right now my mister has H2O and a little Giovanni Direct Leave-In. My hair doesn't particularly like misting; it seems to make it more tangly so I only mist when I'm going to apply coconut or jojoba oil (my hair does better with oils when it's a little damp) and put it up. Other times I'll mist my hair after it's already up to smooth flyaways and to dampen the bun a bit if it's been a dry day.

Curlsgirl
May 7th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I have straight hair but I get flyaways and frizz sometimes and I don't always like to use product for it. Misting seems to help sometimes, but I only use it if I need to. My mister just has filtered water in it. It doesn't seem to make my hair worse, but I know in humidity damp hair can be a problem. I'm wondering whether it would help you if you made sure that your hair was completely dry before going out? Or is this a problem inside as well?

Yeah and it's only with a BOTTLE mister. It's fine with humidity or even rain, even helps the curl. Oh well at least I'm not the only one! I want to like it because hair does get dry sometimes during the day and I would like to be able to moisturize it without washing. If I put oil over the misting it does help a bit but still feels icky.

birthmarkie
May 7th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah and it's only with a BOTTLE mister. It's fine with humidity or even rain, even helps the curl. Oh well at least I'm not the only one! I want to like it because hair does get dry sometimes during the day and I would like to be able to moisturize it without washing. If I put oil over the misting it does help a bit but still feels icky.

Hm. Is the mist that comes out of the bottle superfine? Maybe a finer mist would be more like outdoor humidity. If you're not happy with it though, don't use it.