PDA

View Full Version : will dandruff shampoo change my hair color?

michael
April 1st, 2009, 04:09 PM
I'm thinking of trying head and shoulders or some kind of anti-dandruff shampoo since my scalp has been kind of crusty and flakey, but I've read on a few sites that anti dandruff shampoo can fade or lighten hair color. A few said specifically that it will only fade dyed hair color, but the rest were unspecific. An anti-dandruff shampoo wouldn't lighten my natural hair color, would it?

I have brown hair and in the past, i've used a benzoyl peroxide face wash that lightened my facial hair, eyebrows, and some of my head hair before I found out that BP is actually used to bleach hair. I'd rather not repeat this.

goodluckcharm
April 1st, 2009, 06:07 PM
Anti-dandruff shampoo will lighten dyed hair. It shouldn't change virgin hair. Make sure you condition after using! It can really dry out your hair. There are natural remedies for dandruff that you might like to consider. I use apple cider vinegar. With a q-tip I dab APC on the flaky/itchy spots. Let it dry. The smell will dissappear when the vinegar dries. APC helps balance the pH level of the scalp. APC rinses can also help (1 cup water to 1 tsp. APC). Tea tree oil also helps with dandruff. Good luck!

manderly
April 1st, 2009, 06:19 PM
No, they are referring to DYED hair :) It won't affect natural color.

I'd recommend Neutrogena's T-Gel (or is it T-Sal? it's T-something). You don't wash with it all the time, only about once a week or as needed. I keep some in my shower and use it probably 1-2 times a month :)