PDA

View Full Version : from the mouths of kids...

wintersun99
April 1st, 2009, 09:21 AM
My niece (7 years old) has grown her hair to WL and loves it long. She does have a hard time keeping it tangle-free and out of her face and her mom is constantly talking about cutting it shorter, to which my niece is fully fighting and her dad and I are fully encouraging her to continue to do so. :D

While on vac. last week (Mexico) we were all headed to the Mayan Ruins (very hot day) and I was helping her put her hair up in a neat updo. I than put a Buff over the whole 'do to help protect it and to keep it from falling out or blowing out in the wind.

My niece than says to me...

"how can you be so good with my hair when you burned yours off?"

Ouch! she does have a point. :o

Anyone else been on the receiving end of kid-logic (either sweet or not so much)? :D

Fluke
April 1st, 2009, 10:24 AM
Heheh.. It's cool when kids show that their brains are working..

My 4 year old daughter has some comments on my hair, I'll get to that later, but what your niece said reminded me of a similar case of "kid logic".

My daughter and my mom were out driving, and my mom was using the windshield wiper. My daughter was very curious and asked what they were for and why my mom used them. My mom explained that the road was wet and that dirty water from the car in front sprayed on to their windshield. My daughter looked thoughful for a moment, then it came.. "But grandma, why are you driving so fast after him, then?" Kids..

When I kept my hair short and wasn't trying to grow it out she liked to run her hands over it because "it feels so nice and prickly when I pet your head!".
She also used to ask me why I had "boy hair" when I was a girl, and that I needed to have "queen hair" since she had "princess hair".. :lol:

spidermom
April 1st, 2009, 10:58 AM
Before Cmas, DH, DD, DS, DS-GF, Gson, Gdaughter, and me took a trip into the mountains for the Cmas tree lighting ceremony at a small town there. The day after we got there, GD's mom called DS and said she was going to have her BF come pick up GD. DS said "He's going to drive all the way up here?" So then she throws a fit about him taking their daughter all the way into the mountains on bad roads, blah-blah-blah. So GD (age 7) announced that she wanted to talk to her mom, and what came out of her mouth was "We told you we were coming up here for the weekend. What's wrong with your brain?"

LittleOrca
April 1st, 2009, 11:41 AM
This isn't hair related, but it was cute.

I was watching Sleeping Beauty once with my niece when she was about three years old. She looked up at me and asked, "Why is the king so fat?"

I knew she might be too young to fully grasp my answer, but I replied with anyways, "Because a looooong time ago the heavier you were meant you had more food to eat and therefore had more money to buy the food."

She looked up at me with her big, cute eyes and replied, "You must be rich!" :silly:

AlleyKitten
April 1st, 2009, 01:32 PM
LittleOrca, one time a six-year-old told me "You look like my teacher, you both have a big belly". ;)

I was back visiting family that I don't see very often, and I had my hair up, probably in an infinity bun. One of my little cousins said "I remember when you had long hair", which really impressed me, I wouldn't have been surprised if he and his sibs didn't remember me at all. Of course, I told him "I DO have long hair!" and I took it down to show him.

Another time, my nine-year-old buddy was playing a video game with a particularly long and annoying intro movie, and was very concerned when we all broke up laughing when she asked "Can I skip this?" because that's exactly what we say every time we play it. Sometimes kid logic is not actually different from grownup logic!

spidermom
April 1st, 2009, 01:34 PM
You made me laugh out loud, littleorca.

Rosepatrice
April 1st, 2009, 01:53 PM
I'm 6'1.
I was shopping when a little girl (standing with her 5' Mother) yelled out, " MOMMY!!! THAT LADY IS SO TALL!!!!!!!" I mean, she yelled out at the top of her little lungs. I just smiled. Her mother comes over to me and says, " Oh, I'm so sorry about that, she wasn't saying it in a mean way, she is not used to being around a tall person". The Mother was very embarrassed!!

Later, standing in line, here comes the little girl and her Mother again from behind me. The little girl yells yet AGAIN...." MOMMY, LOOOOOOOOKKK! SHE'S TALL AGAIN!!!" As if I grew a foot and a half while in the store, LOL>

Love, Rosepatrice

Trinka
April 1st, 2009, 02:27 PM
One of my friend's little girls used to stand behind me on the couch while I was visiting with her mom, and she would brush my hair, all the while saying "pretty .... pretty ... pretty ...".

I have, of course, established a college fund for her. :)

RancheroTheBee
April 1st, 2009, 03:28 PM
This isn't hair related, but it was cute.

I was watching Sleeping Beauty once with my niece when she was about three years old. She looked up at me and asked, "Why is the king so fat?"

I knew she might be too young to fully grasp my answer, but I replied with anyways, "Because a looooong time ago the heavier you were meant you had more food to eat and therefore had more money to buy the food."

She looked up at me with her big, cute eyes and replied, "You must be rich!" :silly:

That's insanely adorable.

I have an example from the other side. When I was quite young, my father shaved off his beard. I cried and told him he looked like my grandmother.

LisaJaney
April 1st, 2009, 03:36 PM
Another not-hair-related story, if u allow it:

my dad had some precancerous cells removed. to do that, the doc basically scrubbed them off with some sort of abrasive...i dunno...but anyhow the cells are then gone and he has a red and kinda abraded patch on his forehead or cheek or whever. So at suppertime my nephew was saying the prayer for the meal and he says 'and dear God please help grandpa bcuz somethings gone wrong with his head!"

of course we laughed ourselves silly over that and the boy got away with saying what we had hoped to say for years HA

Oberon88
April 1st, 2009, 03:59 PM
I'm 6'1.
I was shopping when a little girl (standing with her 5' Mother) yelled out, " MOMMY!!! THAT LADY IS SO TALL!!!!!!!" I mean, she yelled out at the top of her little lungs. I just smiled. Her mother comes over to me and says, " Oh, I'm so sorry about that, she wasn't saying it in a mean way, she is not used to being around a tall person". The Mother was very embarrassed!!

Later, standing in line, here comes the little girl and her Mother again from behind me. The little girl yells yet AGAIN...." MOMMY, LOOOOOOOOKKK! SHE'S TALL AGAIN!!!" As if I grew a foot and a half while in the store, LOL>

I'm 6'1 too, and a similar thing happened to me in Target.
I was trying on shoes and this little girl came up to me and said "Are you a giant?" I just smiled and said "Yes"
Her mom was so apologetic, but I thought it was funny more than anything. The little girl continued "I've never met a giant before." and I said "Well now you have something to tell your friends"

wintersun99
April 1st, 2009, 06:05 PM

I have an example from the other side. When I was quite young, my father shaved off his beard. I cried and told him he looked like my grandmother.

Oh no! This reminds me... I don't remember this, but I have been told the story. When I was little my dad shaved his mustache. I apparently started crying and said something like "you sound like my daddy, but you don't look like him!" My mom said he immediately grew it back and didn't shave it again! It must be about 30 years now.

Then, a couple years ago my young niece got him mixed up with her other grandfather (she calls my dad grandpa and the other one papa) and mistakenly called my dad papa (they both have dark hair and a mustache) and so my poor dad decides to shave because he didn't want to be mixed up!

Man can't catch a break with us :p

invisiblebabe
April 1st, 2009, 09:24 PM
I was trying on shoes and this little girl came up to me and said "Are you a giant?" I just smiled and said "Yes"
Her mom was so apologetic, but I thought it was funny more than anything. The little girl continued "I've never met a giant before." and I said "Well now you have something to tell your friends"

Haha that's cute :D

When I had classic length hair, a little girl I tutored in high school called me Rapunzel :D She was growing her hair out, it was almost waist length :)

HeavenlyTresses
April 2nd, 2009, 09:33 PM
When adults compliment my hair it's always "Wow, your hair is so long!" With little kids I always hear "Mommy look, she's got BIG hair!" "Look at the lady with the BIG hair!" The parents look like they want to die of embarassment but I always smile and talk to them.

longhairedfairy
April 2nd, 2009, 09:46 PM
I have a cousin who found a razor and shaved off her eyebrows while her mother was in the shower when she was much younger.

Nevermore
April 2nd, 2009, 11:09 PM
I work in Claire's and one night we had three little girls (sisters, 5-9 or thereabouts) come in and I was entertaining them while they waited for everyone to get their ears marked prior to piercing. The one girl and I were looking at earrings and she all the sudden goes, "are you fat?" and I thought I misheard her and asked her what she said and she repeated it clear as day. Her mother was horrified. I didn't mind-I was about to say something about people being all different shapes and sizes when her mother apologized and dragged her to the back of the store, looking like she'd just said something nearly criminally inappropriate.

I am fat, it's not like telling your kid it's rude to ask me about it is going to magically make me thin. I'd rather people let me talk to their kid instead of enforcing the crazy ZOMG FAT=BAD YOU JUST SAID SOMETHING HORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE TO THAT LADY GO APOLOGIZE!!!! thing. She didn't say something terrible, anymore than if she'd asked me what color my eyes are or why I'm wearing a skirt. Kids ask questions, not always to their parents, that's part of being a kid.

/rant

I love kid hair comments, they're always so adorable. My brother is well known for telling my mother she had "fuzzy hair". My mother's hair has been a point of contention for her her entire life, so she was reallllllly displeased about that one, but I thought it was cute.

Phalaenopsis
April 3rd, 2009, 04:07 AM
Those are cute stories. I really liked the one about being a giant. There's only one young child in the family, my nephew, but he's still too young to talk, so I'll have to wait before I can tell a funny story :p

Lady Verity
April 3rd, 2009, 04:25 AM
I'm 6'1.

Love, Rosepatrice

Yes! Same here, and I get that all the time.

I used to entertain my small cousins by drawing cartoons of them with loooong hair. They were astonished that I could "turn them into" drawings. :)

Lady Verity
April 3rd, 2009, 04:27 AM
Oberon88, the three of us should get together and pretend to have escaped from a fairytale. :D

naturalme
April 3rd, 2009, 04:30 AM

Indeedy! I found a picture of my great-grandmother (who had died maybe in the 1930s?) and I asked my parents what my grandfather was doing wearing a dress! Seriously, they had the exact same faces (and figures!). :eyebrows:

JamieLeigh
April 3rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
I get a lot of hair comments from my youngest daughter who's 3 1/2. Mostly complimentary, and both of my daughters (the oldest is 7 1/2) want to grow their hair long like mine. ;) She has fallen in love with the Barbie movie version of Rapunzel, and every time she sees anyone with a braid, she says, "Mommy, look she's got a Rapunzel!" :D

mugglemomof3
April 3rd, 2009, 10:56 AM
Oh wintersun! My daughter (now 13) used to make me cringe at least weekly with something she would say to strangers/friends. Oh, I was so embarrassed . . .

Once at a t-ball game, there was this lady three rows down in the bleachers turned around talking to a lady sitting to the left of my daughter. Daughter was like 5. I was sitting to her right. Right in the middle of a sentence, my daughter speaks up and says to the lady, "wow you've got some yellow teeth"! :( OK. Yes, she did, but OMG we didn't even know this lady! eek!

The next most embarrassing one was when my ex-co-worker came up to us in the store and we started catching up. DD was on my hip (she was probably 6 but wasn't feeling good that day). During a lull in the conversation, DD pipes up and says "Judy. You need to quit smoking. It will kill you"! Obviously I wasn't the only one who could smell the cigarettes on her breath! To be fair, Judy shot right back, "I know mija. I really do need to quit. My kids tell me that all the time. Aren't you just the smartest little girl?!!" I was so thankful she didn't get mad.

Bean13
April 3rd, 2009, 11:04 AM
My daughter had a friend sleep over when they were around the age of 6. I use to roll up my pant legs and stand in the tub to wash my daughters hair while she was taking a bath. So whe I did that with her friend she asked me what kind of shampoo I was useing. I replied "European" She then sighed and said "I know but I can't help it."
LOL. I stepped out of the tub laughed till there was tears in my eyes, drained the tub and started over.

wintersun99
April 3rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
I've got another vacation story. My youngest niece (3yo) was introduced to the idea of a Bidet last week. We did our best to explain what is was and how to use it so that she wouldn't think it was "gross" like her sister did... :D

So, later that night we hear crying and yelling upstairs "I'm so embarassed" etc. and it turns out she poo'd in the Bidet... she said "but you said it was the "girl's" toilet!"

Oops, guess my explanation got lost in translation :)

Anje
April 3rd, 2009, 11:10 AM
OK, this just happened about 5 minutes ago:

I was waiting for the elevator, and when the doors opened, a mother and daughter (3 or 4, I think) were inside waiting to get out. The little girl was apparently surprised to see someone standing on the other side of the door -- she looked up and said, "Mommy, there's a people!"

nowxisxforever
April 3rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
One of my friend's little girls used to stand behind me on the couch while I was visiting with her mom, and she would brush my hair, all the while saying "pretty .... pretty ... pretty ...".

I have, of course, established a college fund for her. :)

Awwww! How precious! I hope she's growing her hair out too? ;)

Inanna Rose
April 3rd, 2009, 01:49 PM
My sons love to play with my hair. The oldest is about 7 1/2 and he will ask to comb my hair, the whole time saying 'I love that your hair is long". His brother on the other hand like to use it as a climbing rope and a nose tickler. And they both love it when I flip my foward and put my glasses back on my nose(cousin IT). They laugh so hard that the hiccup.

freznow
April 4th, 2009, 07:52 AM
One time we were at IHOP, and my little sister (7) suddenly says, "Hey, [freznow], did you know that you're a vegetarian but you're made of meat?" *starts to pretend to gnaw on arm*

O.o She's a wonder, that one.

Nevermore
April 4th, 2009, 09:07 AM
OK, this just happened about 5 minutes ago:

I was waiting for the elevator, and when the doors opened, a mother and daughter (3 or 4, I think) were inside waiting to get out. The little girl was apparently surprised to see someone standing on the other side of the door -- she looked up and said, "Mommy, there's a people!"

Totally adorable!

noelgirl
April 4th, 2009, 04:14 PM
One time when I was babysitting, the little girl (about 7 at the time) asked, "How come the hair on your arms is blonde when the hair on your head is black?"

Oberon88
April 4th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Oberon88, the three of us should get together and pretend to have escaped from a fairytale. :D

I agree, we would have to tell everyone we climbed down the beanstalk. :D

Speckla
April 4th, 2009, 05:32 PM

ho ho ho....:eyebrows:

Nevermore
April 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I just had a little girl at work today say, "what's the thing in your hair?" about my hair stick.

longhairedfairy
April 4th, 2009, 10:57 PM

I think that was so cool how you handled it.:cheese:Even short people like me look tall from a little kid's perspective.

longhairedfairy
April 4th, 2009, 11:03 PM
My cousin T said that when she was small she found out her dad was going to shave off his beard. She asked him something like, "Will you still be my daddy if you don't have a beard?"
I've heard of a lot of kids that freaked out when their fathers shaved. I had been recruited to do costume repaires for Cabaret when I was in college and the man playing the Nazi said that he had to shave with his kid watching so he/she (?) wouldn't freak out.

Rosepatrice
April 4th, 2009, 11:20 PM

Hee Hee..... OR, regal Princesses.....
which reminds me I was leaving church today and a lady came up to me (she had been staring at me through the church service, looking over her shoulder) anyway, She said " You look like a Princess, you are always dressed like one and you carry your height well"!!

I don't know why I just told you all that.. maybe I'm tired and need to go to bed.......:eyebrows:

Samitra
April 5th, 2009, 01:04 AM
My cousin T said that when she was small she found out her dad was going to shave off his beard. She asked him something like, "Will you still be my daddy if you don't have a beard?"
I've heard of a lot of kids that freaked out when their fathers shaved. I had been recruited to do costume repaires for Cabaret when I was in college and the man playing the Nazi said that he had to shave with his kid watching so he/she (?) wouldn't freak out.

Haha! Some people look sooo different without their beard. I almost freaked out once when DBF showed up at my place after shaving his beard. He looked like a 15 year old boy, instead of the 25 year old man I expected to show up. He looked cute, but oh so young!

And I have a little story to share aswell:

I babysit two little girls for a couple of hours every week, and one day when I came to pick them up at kindergarten I had braided my hair into two dutch braids. The 5 year old just stared at me and said, very loud and clear: "BRAIDS!? I thought you were a grown up, but you have braids!"

Furiana
April 5th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Later, standing in line, here comes the little girl and her Mother again from behind me. The little girl yells yet AGAIN...." MOMMY, LOOOOOOOOKKK! SHE'S TALL AGAIN!!!" As if I grew a foot and a half while in the store, LOL

Awww! :lol::rollin: