PDA

View Full Version : My hair is just rubbish :(

Jessclewlow
April 1st, 2009, 06:18 AM
yes i have problem hair ( which is kinda the reason i joined up here) its thin... its dry... but gets greasy quickly... it never holds shape, its annoyingly wavy/frizzy/straight blah! it aint even a nice colour unless i dye it...

anyways.... ive been trying to improve the health of my hair for a while now... as i pretty much killed it thanks to my own wrong doings - straightening it every day... going from blonde to dark every other month...

so i started behaving myself - as im trying to grow it...
however i seem to have hit a wall and nothing seems to be happening :(
it just dosnt want to grow... ive tried having microtrims ( even though im sure a micro to a hairdresser means 2 inches) and not straightening it.... combing instead of brushing... good conditioning... and tho i admit... it does look alot better. it just dont seem to get any longer :(
i know there aint any miracle cures ( sadly ) but can you girls ( who i hate cos you all have beautiful hair lol ) give me some advice on where to go next...

luvs jess xx

crystal_89
April 1st, 2009, 07:00 AM
How long have you been trying to be nicer to your hair? It will take time for the damage to grow out, so it will take time for the undamaged roots to grow long enough to notice healthier hair and not have the ends breaking off as much.

Check out this article by Nightshade http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

and this article by Teacherbear http://http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8)

Nightshade
April 1st, 2009, 07:05 AM
Hey Jess, welcome to LHC!

What sort of shampoo/conditioner are you using and how ofter are you washing? Many times people with oily hair find that they've been using a harsh shampoo often, which strips the scalp, so it in turn produces MORE oil to try to balance itself back out.

As a first step, try diluting your conditioner by half with water, and applying it only to the scalp. Then use your conditioner only from the ears down.

I wrote an article on rehabilitating damaged hair in my signature, with lots of links to other helpful posts and articles. Perhaps it'd be worth a read. :flowers:

ETA: :lol: Looks like Crystal and I cross posted a bit :)

Addy
April 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM
I think you mean diluting the shampoo Nightshade and not the conditioner. ;)

I was a dyer too. My hair was becoming so dry and breaking until I found this place and cut my washes down to once a week <I moved down gradually to every other day and so on by stretching my washes> I now CO and my hair loves EVOO! :D

I'm wondering if you have a lot of damage from going blonde to dark to blonde so many times?

Hang out and read up. Your hair will love you for it!

Nightshade
April 1st, 2009, 08:57 AM
I think you mean diluting the shampoo Nightshade and not the conditioner. ;)

:oops: Oh duh, yes. It's early, be kind. :coffee:

JamieLeigh
April 1st, 2009, 08:58 AM
I agree with what the others have posted so far. It sounds like you've got damage, and if so you'll just have to be patient and wait for the new hair to grow in behind it. Nightshade's articles are a definite MUST-READ for situations like that. And I'd also like to second the EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil) recommendation, AND going longer between washings. My hair is fine also, and I would find myself drying out at the ends, even though there was no damage there, because of washing so often and using WAY too much shampoo. And my ends are looking much better these days thanks to better care, and the EVOO. :)

Welcome to the forum, and good luck on your hair journey. You're definitely in the right place!! :D

princess
April 1st, 2009, 09:06 AM
Coconut milk pack helps a lot. Apply coconut cream that comes in tins to the hair. Leave for an hour and then wash with chick pea flour paste and diluted shampoo. It helps a lot.

Mainly have patience and try the treatment twice a week. Good luck!

I found this page in (http://www.health-beauty-guide.com/silky_hair_tips.htm)the net. IT has a lot of tips for haircare and for smooth shiny hair.

P.S I do not know about colour treated hair. Have never come across a situation like that except for henna.

marialena
April 1st, 2009, 09:12 AM
Just relax ( and that's the best way to have beautiful hair) and don't think about them. :)
Long hair need patience and good care and the second you have done it already. :)
But you have to give time to your hair to grow longer so don't think about how they look now but try to think how they will look in a few months.
And don't straight them! ( oh please!! is the worst thing you can do to your hair) As an owner of really straight hair I have to tell you that straight hair is not the best thing that can happen to your head! :)

Jessclewlow
April 7th, 2009, 05:05 AM
hahahah! thanks for the help so far guys...
ok... i personally find that i cant go an entire week without waching my hair... infact i tend to wash it every second day - cos it gets greasy on the second day and therefor needs washing... and my hair is a nightmare! how can i keep it straight ( or at least not stupidly fluffy) without using irons on it? :(
i tend to change my shampoos quite often as my hair gets used to one brand and starts rebelling... i find i cant use things like herbal essences cos my hair just goes greasy really quick and it makes me get dandruff if i use it too often.
i keep getting it trimmed - which the hairdresser said i have to do.... but even if i dont straighten it... or reeeeally try my hardest to look after it... it still splits :( sigh.....

ive heard that putting your hairdryer on cool and slow dont kill your hair so much.... and using a comb so ive been doing that..... ( dunno if its true or not) ive also heard about this mane n tail stuff.... does that actually do anything? im kinda dubious about putting horse stuff on my head lol.
anyways... im off to read nightshades stuff! ( and plot to steal her hair muahahaha)

Kisses

Jess xx

Gypsygirl
April 7th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Just hang in there. You got great advice already and I don't have much to add...but you know, my hair is kind of "blah"-looking after the winter as well, so you're not the only one. ;)

Heavenly Locks
April 7th, 2009, 05:19 AM
i personally find that i cant go an entire week without waching my hair... infact i tend to wash it every second day - cos it gets greasy on the second day and therefor needs washing

Stretching time between washes is one of the first things you can do. (if it hasn't been suggested check out this article on damage, it will give you a lot of insight on why your hair does what it does. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) With hair, sometimes the more you wash it the more you need to wash it. You're stripping off all the oil and your scalp goes "OMG we are DRY, quick make more oil!!" and the cycle continues.

how can i keep it straight ( or at least not stupidly fluffy) without using irons on it? :(

Why is it 'fluffy'...if it's wavy or curly, you can learn to style it and care for it so that the waves or curl look really pretty. Also there are a few methods of reducing the amount of poof. Depends on your hair type though.

i tend to change my shampoos quite often as my hair gets used to one brand and starts rebelling... i find i cant use things like herbal essences cos my hair just goes greasy really quick and it makes me get dandruff if i use it too often.

I've never had this 'rebelling' problem so I am not a chronic product switcher. Perhaps you are experiencing buildup and should do a little reading on 'clarifying'? :)

i keep getting it trimmed - which the hairdresser said i have to do.... but even if i dont straighten it... or reeeeally try my hardest to look after it... it still splits :( sigh.....

Trimming is necessary if your ends are hopelessly split. There is a lot that can be done for DRY ends though to help keep them from breaking. The more you trim, the more you need to grow. ;) Hairdressers like to keep making money at their jobs, so they will recommend that you keep coming back.

Split ends are caused by a lot of every day things. (make sure to read that article!)

ive heard that putting your hairdryer on cool and slow dont kill your hair so much.... and using a comb so ive been doing that..... ( dunno if its true or not)

Laying off the heat is one of the best tips that people can do for their hair. Your hair literally boils/steams with high heat. Ouch. Combs are good too, just be careful what kind (seamless! and preferably static free) and be careful how you detangle. Go gently and when you hit a snag, stop and pick it out and apart. If you rip through, it will break the hairs.

ive also heard about this mane n tail stuff.... does that actually do anything? im kinda dubious about putting horse stuff on my head lol.
anyways...

Mane N' Tail is ok for human use (I have horses and I've tried it) but I found it a little heavy for my hair and kind of waxy feeling. The ingredients are very safe. It's not a miracle super product though. ;)

Hope I helped!

Jessclewlow
April 7th, 2009, 01:23 PM
heavenly my dear you are a genius :) thankyou for the advice.