PDA

View Full Version : wigs for summer protection

pdy2kn6
April 1st, 2009, 05:23 AM
i just saw igors new wig almumn and i saw on one of them she she how shes going to use a wig as a way of stopping burning her scalp in the sun. I think this is such a good idea, does anyone else do this? It would give you the chance to have long free flowing hair (wig) in the sun, all the way through summer, and then rest assured knowing your hair is perfectly protected and safe under the wig. You wouldn't burn your scalp and you wouldn't dry out your scalp either. What do you guys think about that??...........perhaps its a solution from wearing big hats or umbrellas whenever we leave the house, and probably alot less damaging..

***or wearing wigs just every now and again just for fun, for free 'down' hair, without worrying about knots and tangles!!

practikalmagik
April 1st, 2009, 05:36 AM
One major downside I can see, it would be REALLY hot and sweaty under the wig which would lead to sweaty scalps. Not very pleasant.

However it's a good idea I think, better then a straw hat (think of the snags ow!).

ravenreed
April 1st, 2009, 05:41 AM
I live in the desert and can barely stand my own hair during the summer! I do wear hats a lot though, to shade my face, so I don't worry much about scalp burn.

Heavenly Locks
April 1st, 2009, 06:16 AM
Yeah, if it's hot out...I wouldn't like sweating under a wig. :o I like the idea of covering my hair/scalp in the sun though!

Tabitha
April 1st, 2009, 06:18 AM
The very thought makes me feel hot and prickly. I would favour the use of a nice breathable cotton bandanna rather than a wig. I have a couple of wide-brimmed straw hats that don't catch my hair, and they also shade my face and neck.

ilovelonghair
April 1st, 2009, 06:59 AM
Hats are better, although hot as well. Best is to completely stay away from the sun.

pdy2kn6
April 1st, 2009, 07:13 AM
OK itg appears the clear response to this is not in summer because its too hott!!!! what about the idea of just doing it for for? ie nights out, school, mix things up abit.(not in the summer). a damage free way to have your hair flowing down in the wind

ravenreed
April 1st, 2009, 08:17 AM
I would rather wear my OWN hair down for a night out! I really can't think of an instance where I would wear a wig, unless it was for a show where everyone had to have the same color/cut of hair. But that is me. I have always been a bit puzzled by wigs, but throughout history they have been very popular.

Anje
April 1st, 2009, 08:30 AM
I don't have experience with wigs, but I imagine it would get hot and scratchy. I rather like my floppy boonie hats in the summer, but even those get really hot in the sun, and so does a (regular) Buff. Preventing scalp burn is good, but I think I'll pass on the wig.

Samitra
April 1st, 2009, 08:46 AM
I'd love to have wigs to play around with! Not in summer though, I don't think I could stand the heat, but for nights out, dinner parties or just on a regular monday. :D I've always wanted black hair, but since I'm not sure I'd look good in it, I've never dyed my hair. But a wig could give me black hair for a day, or blonde, or a chocolat brown colour! It could be so much fun!

Short hair, curly hair... Wow! There are so many possibilities...

AutumnSky
April 1st, 2009, 09:01 AM
I don't mind wigs, but if I want the illusion of longer/thicker hair, I'm more likely to put it partly up and add fallsor extensions.

I've only worn a wig once reently, and that was for "drag-queen halloween"....long hair can be a PITA to get under a wig, and uncomfortable as heck once it's there.

mira-chan
April 1st, 2009, 09:08 AM
I don't have experience with wigs, but I imagine it would get hot and scratchy. I rather like my floppy boonie hats in the summer, but even those get really hot in the sun, and so does a (regular) Buff. Preventing scalp burn is good, but I think I'll pass on the wig.

Wigs, hot yes, scratchy no. Unless the hair is pixie length it's best to wear a wig cap to protect the hair and keep it in, so that completely eliminates any possibly scratchiness. Wigs tend to sit a bit tight to stay on well, especially if you have long hair stuffed under it. After a few days, or hours, you start to really feel it if the wig is not a perfect fit.

Now as for sweating, I don't know as my scalp doesn't sweat at all, but you can easily overheat in it if out in the sun for a long time. Especially a dark wig, those really heat up.

viking_quest
April 1st, 2009, 09:14 AM
Going out in a 120 degree weather with a wig on, no thank you. I'll live with the scalp burn or just stay inside.

marialena
April 1st, 2009, 09:22 AM
I don't think that this is a good idea. You see if you use wigs your scalp doesn't "breath" and thats not good for your hair. I think it's better to use a strawhat and even better to use a scarf on your head to cover your hair.
In past years all women that lived in Mediterranean countries used scarfs, they still use them in Africa, Turkey and Arabic countries. They don't do it just for religion reasons.. The sun is really hot in those places!

atlantaz3
April 1st, 2009, 10:03 AM
Having experience a scalp burn, I'm all for protecting but I don't think a wig would do. I agree too hot. I had never thought of a straw hat as pulling my hair. I bought a crushable (read packable) bamboo fiber hat that I love. I've never noticed it breaking hair and the natural fibers are nice.

spidermom
April 1st, 2009, 10:13 AM
I've got a couple of wigs that I used to wear for fun because they were longer than my own hair. However, they got hot and itchy pretty fast, and it's difficult to scratch an itch through a wig. I'll stick with a wide-brimmed hat and/or tying my hair up with a scarf.

ravenreed
April 1st, 2009, 10:45 AM
My mom burns so easily. If she is out even 15 minutes in the sun she starts to go pink. She makes certain that when she applies sunblock, she puts it in her hair also, especially the part. However, her hair is so thin that she gets as much of the scalp as she can. She also usually has a hat with her as well. Having survived melanoma, she is most careful these days!

marialena
April 1st, 2009, 12:03 PM
Your mom must be very careful from now on and not stay under the sun at all. And she must use sunblock with spf 30+ every day, hat of course and if it is possible an umbrella. Girls don't play with the sun is very dangerous nowadays.
And it is the first reason of looking older and have rides in your face too.

Igor
April 1st, 2009, 12:42 PM
I really liked my wig and I plan to wear it for summer! I can’t see my head getting too hot though since my own hair will be damp and cool in the shade under it :cheese:

longhairedfairy
April 1st, 2009, 01:00 PM
Parasols, anyone? I think it would be really neat if people started using them again! :cheese:

spidermom
April 1st, 2009, 01:33 PM
Parasols, anyone? I think it would be really neat if people started using them again! :cheese:

Maybe we can start a movement; I love them too! I am on a medication that can cause brown/purple discoloration of the skin with sun exposure, so sometimes I use an umbrella when I take the dogs outside (but not very often here in the Pacific Darkwest). My DD used to have a parasol, but a dog we had years ago tore it up one day.

marialena
April 1st, 2009, 01:39 PM

Come in the middle of July in Athens and then you'll see if parasols are useful or not! :D The word "burning sun " is a reality then!

longhairedfairy
April 1st, 2009, 01:58 PM
Come in the middle of July in Athens and then you'll see if parasols are useful or not! :D The word "burning sun " is a reality then!

Yes, but I will also wear strong sun block! :D

Rosepatrice
April 1st, 2009, 02:04 PM
I am thinking about it, too.

The only thing is. when I wear a wig, I feel self conscience about my hair..like eveyone knows that I'm wearing one.

Now, on my Avatar, no one would ever suspect that THAT is a wig.....would you??

Anyway, I'm sun sensitive and heat sensitive, so I'm ALSO concerned that I will get too hot...because we breathe out of the top of our heads.

love Rosepatrice

WritingPrincess
April 1st, 2009, 02:07 PM
I've had the same idea and have looked into it in the past, but currently am too short of money to buy a wig. I think it would be too hot in the summer, but I would like to have at least one shoulder length brown wig. I think it'd be fun!

Rosepatrice
April 1st, 2009, 02:10 PM
I would like to have one of each color....love, Rosepatrice

Rosepatrice
April 1st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hats are better, although hot as well. Best is to completely stay away from the sun.

I agree. Also, spraying a sunblock on the scalp might work, too.

AmyJorgensen
April 1st, 2009, 02:23 PM
Pdy2nky I think you worry about damage a little overmuch. (Or maybe I'm just crazy.) I wear my hair down loose over half the time...(and it used to be all the time) and I do 2 recess duties a day in the wind and weather and my hair is still in good shape. I think hats are really the way to go as they protect your face from damaging rays.

mira-chan
April 1st, 2009, 03:00 PM
Maybe we can start a movement; I love them too! I am on a medication that can cause brown/purple discoloration of the skin with sun exposure, so sometimes I use an umbrella when I take the dogs outside (but not very often here in the Pacific Darkwest). My DD used to have a parasol, but a dog we had years ago tore it up one day.

I use a parasol in the summer. A lot of people here do especially the elderly Asian ladies. I have two now, a light purple one and a black with white design one. The black one can be used as a regular umbrella too. They are very useful here as the shade is lacking at times and I do a lot of walking. The sun is quite strong especially in July and August here.

Interestingly I haven't gotten even one look that I noticed and no comments about it negative or positive. :D

joyfulmom4
April 1st, 2009, 03:09 PM
I think it sounds like a good idea, though I admit I find wigs pretty itchy and hot. I have never worn a good quality wig though. The wigs I have worn have either been cheap costume wigs or cast-offs from someone's mothers closet. It might not be fair to compare that to a decent modern wig.

I always loved the idea of being able to put on a totally different hairstyle and color instantly w/o any permanent alteration of my own hair. However I think people are so used to seeing me the same every day and I'm not one for shocking appearances, so I think they would fall over if they saw me walk into the room wearing short red hair or something. lol!

I did order myself some fake "fringe" a few days ago. I decided I am interested in trying out bangs again after not having them for years. I wouldn't dream of cutting them unless I am positive I really want them. That's why I bought the fake ones. I figured I could at least try them out and see how the fake ones felt and looked. But I am not sure I have the guts to wear them out anyplace and have people ask me about them. I am embarrassed to tell people I put on fake hair! Is this silly? We're not exactly in the heart of hair-extension land here in west-central Wisconsin. I've still got a bit of a case of the creepies thinking about wearing someone else's hair! I couldn't wear fake though. That sounds grosser to me. lol!

marialena
April 1st, 2009, 03:37 PM
[...]
Now, on my Avatar, no one would ever suspect that THAT is a wig.....would you??

[...]

I suspected that this might be a hat.. Definitely not a wig..:)

pdy2kn6
April 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM
Pdy2nky I think you worry about damage a little overmuch. (Or maybe I'm just crazy.)

I guess you may be right, is that a bad thing? some people can get away with wearing their hair down on daily basis in whatever conditions for example EdG. Other people can't do such things. In the quest for terminal length healthy hair i think it is a MUST to worry about protecting/avoid as much damage as possible...better safe and assured than sorry

AmyJorgensen
April 1st, 2009, 04:50 PM
Pdy2kn6------Well, I didn't look at your goals and I wasn't thinking about that you were going for terminal when I was speaking of hair damage. I still do think a hat would be better than a wig though because a wig won't be useful in preventing skin cancer if you plan on spending a lot of time out in the sun. (and maybe I worry too much about skin cancer/damage ;)

susiemw
April 1st, 2009, 07:25 PM
. What do you guys think about that??...........perhaps its a solution from wearing big hats or umbrellas whenever we leave the house, and probably alot less damaging

It sounds awful to me..... hideously hot and humid and sweaty.... yuck! Wigs might be fun in the winter but I can't imagine willingly wearing one in the summer time. Gosh, my own hair is warm enough, I can't imagine wearing a wig
on top of it.

susan

Igor
April 1st, 2009, 07:33 PM
I’m beginning to see a pattern here… Seems whenever a male has a hair related suggestion, the majority of replies are negative :rolleyes:

AmyJorgensen
April 1st, 2009, 07:46 PM
I think is less related to maleness and more of a kneejerk reaction to wearing a wig....which is "fake" hair....from a community that mostly cherishes the "natural" beauty of hair. I would think it would seem a contradiction to some. To others...it would seem that they want to point out that it might be uncomfortable in the heat. To me, it just seems like reinventing a wheel (the original "wheel" being the hat) when there is no particular need because the original solution is still holding up nicely.

Rosepatrice
April 1st, 2009, 08:26 PM
I suspected that this might be a hat.. Definitely not a wig..:)

Actually, It is a vintage photograph that I pasted my own face on, LOL...there is a thread on here somewhere, but I don't know the name of it nor how to post the link, but maybe someone else knows?

Tell ya this much, it's a highly hair sprayed hairdo from the (good ?) ole days!!

mira-chan
April 2nd, 2009, 10:14 AM
I’m beginning to see a pattern here… Seems whenever a male has a hair related suggestion, the majority of replies are negative :rolleyes:

I think in this case it's also a climate thing. I'm not sure how the summer temperatures in Denmark are but even up here in NYC it's 35 to 39C in the summers with close to 100% humidity. I've worn a wig in this and it's far from pleasant. When in Russia where it's generally cooler and less humid in the summer, I'd have absolutely no problem with wigs all through summer.

Heidi_234
April 2nd, 2009, 12:39 PM
I'd find it rather weird. I mean, if you feel like wearing a wig, knock yourself out, but essentially it's a head cover with lots of synthetic long threads that give the impression of human hair. If you suffer from baldness due to any reason I'd sort of understand that, but you have more hair than many men out there, why would you want to cover it up with hairy stuff that probably won't even look like it's your own hair?
Want to protect your head from the scalp? Wear a hat! It is made for the job. :shrug:

Elbereth
April 2nd, 2009, 01:40 PM
I understand your worry about protecting your hair from damage. My hair is fine and at this length the ends damage very easily.

However, a wig sounds awfully hot and uncomfortable in summer. I also think it's a bit creepy to cover one's own healthy hair with someone else's hair. That's just me though...

I just wear scarves and other headcoverings in the summer. Even a simple little bandana will do wonders to protect your hair. And, needless to say, if you want to minimize damage, it's best to wear your hair up unless you have a good reason to do otherwise.

pdy2kn6
April 2nd, 2009, 02:19 PM

i've actually been noticing the same sort of patterns, it was merely a possibe idea of wearing something everynow and again, just for fun, and able to protect your hair at the same time....i think it would be a fun idea anyway, using HUMANHAIR wigs everynow and again so you are able to have the feel of free flowing hair without worrying about damage, in the sun or the wind

Laurel32
April 2nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
I think I will stick with sun hats this summer.

Igor
April 2nd, 2009, 09:17 PM
i've actually been noticing the same sort of patterns, it was merely a possibe idea of wearing something everynow and again, just for fun, and able to protect your hair at the same time....i think it would be a fun idea anyway, using HUMANHAIR wigs everynow and again so you are able to have the feel of free flowing hair without worrying about damage, in the sun or the wind

Maybe I should really count the replies in negative and positive, but just see my wig-thread compared to this. Even though I just mentioned as a side note that I would wear wigs for the summer, I got only positive replies to it, but your thread has been mostly negative (Which makes me wonder why people bother to spend time on telling other people what a bad idea the non-damaging, not-hurting-anyone thought is) :rolleyes:

Chromis
April 2nd, 2009, 09:26 PM
Maybe I should really count the replies in negative and positive, but just see my wig-thread compared to this. Even though I just mentioned as a side note that I would wear wigs for the summer, I got only positive replies to it, but your thread has been mostly negative (Which makes me wonder why people bother to spend time on telling other people what a bad idea the non-damaging, not-hurting-anyone thought is) :rolleyes:

Well the emphasis on wanting human hair in particular seems a bit creepy to me in one of the last posts. Why the caps?

Wigs for the purpose of protecting hair in the summer on the other hand just strikes me as a bad idea. Darn things were itchy and hot even when I was bald! Plenty of people have already given several suggestions for alternatives so it's not as if he is only receiving negativity.

longhairedfairy
April 2nd, 2009, 09:31 PM
I don't think the negative replies had anything to do with anything except the heat (and a few people who don't like synthetic wigs in general or think wearing another human's hair is creepy). It was about wearing them in hot/sunny weather, wasn't it? I'd like to have a wig for fun. If it didn't get so hot here in the summer I wouldn't mind wearing it then.:shrug:

longhairedfairy
April 2nd, 2009, 09:35 PM
By the way, I usually don't even notice whether a post is from a male or a female.

pdy2kn6
April 3rd, 2009, 05:08 AM
[quote=Chromis;530977]Well the emphasis on wanting human hair in particular seems a bit creepy to me in one of the last posts. Why the caps?

[quote]

sorry, the caps were just to emphasise the possiblity of wearing human hair wigs, as everyone seemed to be talking about how they really weren't keen on synthetic strands.

jivete
April 3rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
Unfortunately, I can't wear a wig when it's warm, I just get too hot. I dance and do wear fake hair falls for that, but unfortunately, even hair on my back gets too warm. I always put it up. I wore my short wig to a concert a couple months ago and the minute I started dancing, I had to take it off. It became unbearable. So I went to the bathroom, took the wig and cap off, stuffed them in my purse, shook my hair out and came out a changed woman. I'm sure a few people were surprised.

But if you don't think you'd get too hot, go for it. You could have a nice deep, conditioning treatment brewing under the wig.

Forever_Sophie
April 3rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
For a night out, I'd rather get the clip on extensions or something, for added fullness...I wouldn't want to hide the hair I've worked so hard to have ;)

IME, the pincurls required (under wigs) take much more work than styling my own hair!

Forever_Sophie
April 3rd, 2009, 08:42 AM
By the way, I usually don't even notice whether a post is from a male or a female.

I'd just like to echo this :)

ravenreed
April 3rd, 2009, 10:55 AM
Ditto... I didn't look at the gender of the person at all. Honestly, if someone wants to wear a wig, I have no issues with it... For me, I guess the fun of growing my hair long is so that I can wear it long! My mom has really thinning hair, and we have talked about wigs a few times... I would support her if that is her choice.