PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for graying hair

Elenna
April 1st, 2009, 03:02 AM
Are there certain hairstyles that those with grey or greying hair can best wear? I'm looking for elegant hairstyles.

wendyg
April 1st, 2009, 03:22 AM
Never occurred to me we needed to do anything special. This morning's entry in the "Wear all your toys once" challenge:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee36/gwyndred/2009-04-01-monkkeylime.jpg

wg

manderly
April 1st, 2009, 03:24 AM
"Elegant" makes me think of french twists and gibson tucks. I don't see why you couldn't wear any hairstyle you wish though :D

Elenna
April 1st, 2009, 03:45 AM
Hmm, maybe rephrase that. What are the nicest hairstyles for those of us with grey or graying hair?

Hairstyles need to be elegant and not severe. I'm looking for ideas.

Asking because, I previously dyed my hair. Hair is now salt n' pepper with face framing silvers.

MemSahib
April 1st, 2009, 06:49 AM
At BSL you can probably do a very nice French twist. That is probably my favorite style of all time but I can no longer do one and haven't been able to for many inches. The French twist reminds me of Grace Kelly, who was a personification of elegance and lovely enough to become a queen. The Gibson Tuck is a knockoff Victorian style which suits many women and can look be very becoming to many of us. I also like the Beebutt and have gotten compliments on it. It's particularly nice when the twists happen to show streaks of silver — love it.

Take a look at this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8235) from the old LHC for a ton of style links. I put it on my favorites.

Juanita
April 1st, 2009, 07:06 AM
French Twist, Chinese Bun,Infinity/Figure 8 Bun. Plaited Bun. I do all these. By the way Wendy your Figure 8 looks very nice and neat.

aries
April 1st, 2009, 07:27 AM
Wendyg, I love your figure 8.

I agree with MemSahib and Manderly. You can also do loose french braids. Pretty much any style looks good as far as I'm concerned. Some severe styles as well, just depends on the toy you put in it to me.

ravenreed
April 1st, 2009, 08:22 AM
I am not sure that I will do anything any different when my hair goes more grey. I have a couple friends with longer grey hair, and they don't do anything astonishing either. My aunt is fond of the half-up... It looks great on her. But her hair is just below shoulder, so her options are limited.

I am actually quite looking forward to when my hair is predominantly grey, because then I can do the really freaky hair colors and not have to bleach my hair first! :happydance:

Elenna
April 1st, 2009, 02:25 PM
Ravenreed The idea of a half-up is very, very, very interesting, but I’d make it a bit more glam. If the freaky hair colors completely wash out (Manic Panic?) then that’s an option.

Aries Need to practice French Braids, and make sure that hair is a little loose but neat :rolleyes:. Must buy hair toys too, which hair toys would you recommend?

Juanita Will look into Chinese bun, infinity bun, figure 8 bun, and plaited bun.

MemSahib Top of your list are French Twist, Gibson Tuck, Beebutt :ohmy: Will look at your list of style links.

Manderly There are several reasons for finding appropriate styles: hair gets thinner, graying hair can look awkward, and styles must fit socially.

Wendyg Do you have favorite hairstyles? Which ones do you tend to wear the most?

Everyone, I’m looking for soft styles that are neat and graceful.

Rosepatrice
April 1st, 2009, 02:28 PM
Well, I'm afraid I'm not much help...except to say that I know what I don't want.......
A poodle hair cut, or a very very short, old ladyish look!! So, I guess if you know what you don't want , you're one step further then if you didn't know what you didn't want and you didn't know what you did want!:rolleyes:

Elenna
April 1st, 2009, 04:45 PM
I define greying as salt 'n pepper or solid colors. This can be white hair, silver hair or grey hair. Well maybe, silvering, but who ever calls it whitening. :D

Not everyone likes or can wear long greying hair. But there seems to be a lack of know-how for how to style graying hair. It is so much easier to run to the hairdresser. It's social convention too.

Elenna
April 1st, 2009, 04:53 PM
Well, I'm afraid I'm not much help...except to say that I know what I don't want.......
A poodle hair cut, or a very very short, old ladyish look!! So, I guess if you know what you don't want , you're one step further then if you didn't know what you didn't want and you didn't know what you did want!:rolleyes:

Agreed no poodle cuts or short, short hair cuts! These haircuts just add to the old lady look.

So if a person knows what they don't want and do want. Then that person is ahead of the game.

spidermom
April 1st, 2009, 05:04 PM
I think you've seen my album. I wear the bun that stays most; it works!

Elenna
April 1st, 2009, 06:26 PM
I think you've seen my album. I wear the bun that stays most; it works!

Spidermom, (went to check out your hair album) you are wearing a nautilus bun, a swirly bun (cinnamon bun perhaps), figure-8 bun and what looks like a French Twist made from a bun.

Great hair style ideas!

amaiaisabella
April 1st, 2009, 06:36 PM
One of the members here has beautiful graying hair done up in a type of bun with flowers. I'm not sure who it is but the style is gorgeous :)

Xandergrammy
April 1st, 2009, 06:57 PM
One of the members here has beautiful graying hair done up in a type of bun with flowers. I'm not sure who it is but the style is gorgeous :)

I think Teazel just did a 'do like that (she made the flower barrette). Her hair is a perfect example of the "gorgeousness" of salt and pepper hair.

Toadstool
April 1st, 2009, 07:54 PM
I am actually quite looking forward to when my hair is predominantly grey, because then I can do the really freaky hair colors and not have to bleach my hair first! :happydance:
Not sure this will work sorry. I tried the freaky hair colours (well, blue) and it took on my dark hair, and the grey hair remained stubbornly grey, shining through.

Elenna
April 2nd, 2009, 12:23 AM
Amaiaisabella & Xandergrammy - thank you for telling me about this. I'll have to go look at Teazel's picture album.

Toadstool - thank you for telling us your experience. Maybe, grey hair doesn't want to be blue.

Gumball
April 2nd, 2009, 12:25 AM
I'd say just try out different hairstyles and see what ends up looking, to you, good on you! Flit through albums or the style instructions thread and go to town. Then the only qualm after that is how long it'll take to find everything you'll end up enjoying! Hehe.

Silverlox
April 2nd, 2009, 12:37 AM
Do you mean styles that will generally look elegant in silvery hair? Or do you mean styled that will work and look good in bi-coloured hair? Like in dyed lengths with silvery roots?

If you mean the former, I think that anything that looks good in colour, also looks good in grey. You just need to find styles that will suit your face, more than your hair colour.

If you mean the latter, I always felt very stylish in my multicoloured French braid. That was, until I had all the dyed bits chopped off.

Now, I'm rather partial to wrapped or braided updo's, as I feel they make the most of my natural streaks of dark and silver. My hair isn't a solid colour, it goes from very light silvers in front to still black at the nape. That makes for very interesting effects in many updo's.

Nightshade has a tutorial in the Article section on how to make your hair a bit more "poofy" in front when making an updo, to avoid the "tight bunned, mean looking lady" style.

Elenna
April 2nd, 2009, 12:39 AM
Hey Gumball, what does "go to town" mean?

I am picturing your future as a long-haired guy with great silver hair.

wendyg
April 2nd, 2009, 06:33 AM
Elenna: I'm participating in the Wear all your toys once thread, so have a look.

wg

DelynofRhondda
April 2nd, 2009, 06:34 AM
Elenna, I believe I understand what you mean. I look for "every day" styles that are sophisticated and polished. Not "occasion" styles. Not "casual" styles. All are very subjective terms, yes.

Someone else mentioned Teazel's albums. She has some of the most beautiful styles.

Have you ever tried a Florentine Twist? It's a twisted and coiled style that really highlights the contrasts in hair colours. Looks very elegant and as if there was thought put into it. It does take a little time to get everything twisted, coiled, and pinned ... but perhaps less time than blow-drying, flat-ironing, and curling ... LOL. I figured out how to do it by looking at Italian Florence Renaissance paintings. I can usually leave it up for a few days as it's not uncomfortable to sleep in and really does hold up well.

Has anyone written instructions or done a video for this one??????? Not to go off topic, just curious.

Gumball
April 2nd, 2009, 10:39 AM
Hey Gumball, what does "go to town" mean?

I am picturing your future as a long-haired guy with great silver hair.

It means find the instruction thread and just start testing testing testing. :) I'm sure I could rock the silver locks fiercely when I get older!

Elenna
April 2nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Elenna: I'm participating in the Wear all your toys once thread, so have a look. wg

Wendyg - thank you for telling me about this. I'll go take a look. This is very helpful.

Rhea
April 15th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Have you ever tried a Florentine Twist? It's a twisted and coiled style that really highlights the contrasts in hair colours. Looks very elegant and as if there was thought put into it.

Has anyone written instructions or done a video for this one??????? Not to go off topic, just curious.
Please , a video ! :cheese:

Elenna
April 25th, 2009, 08:22 PM
DelynofRhondda, just saw your post. Can you just tell us in general what the style is? Any Florentine Twist painting that shows us would be nice too.

darkwaves
April 25th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Are there certain hairstyles that those with grey or greying hair can best wear? Hi Elenna,

I'm puzzled by your question -- gray hair varies so much, as do those of us with graying hair... I mean, our lifestyles, textures, inclinations... There is a thread focussed on graying hair -- maybe you'll find specific help there?

Must buy hair toys too, which hair toys would you recommend? Again, that depends on you, not graying hair in general. There is a sticky thread with links to many amazing hair tools. What works will vary according to taste, and all of those other factors.

Manderly There are several reasons for finding appropriate styles: hair gets thinner, graying hair can look awkward, and styles must fit socially. We might be able to help more if we know more about your situation... Your age, for example, or the details of your social situation.

I, too, am graying, and while I'm older that most on this board, my hair is certainly not getting thinner -- nor is the hair of many of our older members. I also don't understand why gray hair would look awkward... Or what social situations you, in particular, need to fit into...

All so very mysterious and intriguing.

I would suggest checking the blogs and albums of those posting here, and perhaps those in the gray hair thread. There are many stunning examples of multi-coloured, amazing, graying hair, in fabulous styles.

Linda K
April 25th, 2009, 10:30 PM
A poodle hair cut, or a very very short, old ladyish look!! So, I guess if you know what you don't want , you're one step further then if you didn't know what you didn't want and you didn't know what you did want!:rolleyes: Once again, glad I didn't have a mouth full of coffee!
:D:D:D

Elenna
May 1st, 2009, 11:52 PM
Hi Elenna,

I'm puzzled by your question -- gray hair varies so much, as do those of us with graying hair... I mean, our lifestyles, textures, inclinations... There is a thread focussed on graying hair -- maybe you'll find specific help there?

Well, we are all individuals. BUT I had dyed my hair brown for years, and am now growing out the hair dye. This means that my hair is in transition from brown to salt 'n pepper. I had no idea how to style greying hair.

Again, that depends on you, not graying hair in general. There is a sticky thread with links to many amazing hair tools. What works will vary according to taste, and all of those other factors.

There is a big difference between my previous brown hair and now greying hair. The color, texture, and thickness have al changed. It is a lot thinner too. I just want my hair to look pretty again.

We might be able to help more if we know more about your situation... Your age, for example, or the details of your social situation.

I work on websites for a home business and have several close friends that I socialize with.

I, too, am graying, and while I'm older that most on this board, my hair is certainly not getting thinner -- nor is the hair of many of our older members.

Well, if you look at the LHC demographics, most are 20 to 30 years of age, followed by the 40 to 60 age groups. Each of the latter groups have less and less people. It is a sample of about 500 people which is a pretty good sample.

I also don't understand why gray hair would look awkward...

I'm growing out hair dye. I have lots of light silver hair that contrasts with dyed dark brown hair.

Or what social situations you, in particular, need to fit into...

Well socially, everyone who has greying hair dyes and cuts it. Which is the exact opposite of what I'm doing.

All so very mysterious and intriguing.

Life is a mystery.

I would suggest checking the blogs and albums of those posting here, and perhaps those in the gray hair thread. There are many stunning examples of multi-coloured, amazing, graying hair, in fabulous styles.

Thank you for the advice.

abcdefghijk lmnopq rstuvwxyz

Furiana
May 2nd, 2009, 01:04 AM
"Hairstyles for graying hair"

Anything that shows off the multicolored strands! :D

I notice that many of our multicolored LHC members find one or two hairstyles that really show off their colored streaks well. The specific styles are an individual thing, especially with graying hair -- the placement of the streaks makes such a difference! Growing out hair dye will make a big difference, too. As Gumball said, experimentation is in order!

Then again, the styles suggested by Silverlox (French braid) and DelynofRhondda (Florentine Twist) might be a nice place to start. I don't know that the Florentine Twist looks like, but multicolored French braids are beauuutiful! And there's a good chance that your colors will show up, no matter where the streaks are placed!

Furiana
May 2nd, 2009, 01:07 AM

Wow, that sounds beautiful! Does anyone have a link to the picture?

Elenna
May 2nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Wow, that sounds beautiful! Does anyone have a link to the picture?

That's Teazel.

Elenna
May 2nd, 2009, 02:41 PM
Furiana "Hairstyles for graying hair" Anything that shows off the multicolored strands! I notice that many of our multicolored LHC members find one or two hairstyles that really show off their colored streaks well. The specific styles are an individual thing, especially with graying hair -- the placement of the streaks makes such a difference!

Multicolor or Salt 'n Pepper looks really interesting. What I gathered is that woven or braided styles really show off the silver and colored streaks.

Growing out hair dye will make a big difference, too. As Gumball said, experimentation is in order!

Well, growing out the hair dye is kind of hard because to get to BSL with all the dye off will take me a total of FOUR years! I'm half way there, so with lots of face framing silvers, the rest of my hair is ginger-brown color (think silver and red). I feel like Charlie Brown saying aaaarrrrrggghhh!

Then again, the styles suggested by Silverlox (French braid) and DelynofRhondda (Florentine Twist) might be a nice place to start. I don't know that the Florentine Twist looks like, but multicolored French braids are beauuutiful! And there's a good chance that your colors will show up, no matter where the streaks are placed![/quote]

It is so neat to (now) have a repertorie of do-able hair styles as suggested by the people who graciously answered this thread.

Furiana
May 2nd, 2009, 02:59 PM
Multicolor or Salt 'n Pepper looks really interesting. What I gathered is that woven or braided styles really show off the silver and colored streaks.

Yeah, styles like Isilya's woven bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5502)! :heart: Wouldn't that look cool with salt n' pepper colored hairsticks too?! Or what about hair toys that incorporate both the color of the silvers and the color of the dyed length!

Well, growing out the hair dye is kind of hard because to get to BSL with all the dye off will take me a total of FOUR years! I'm half way there, so with lots of face framing silvers, the rest of my hair is ginger-brown color (think silver and red). I feel like Charlie Brown saying aaaarrrrrggghhh!

That sounds so frustrating. :bigeyes:

It is so neat to (now) have a repertorie of do-able hair styles as suggested by the people who graciously answered this thread.

I hope you take pics! :D

Actually -- if you find a style that works well with two-toned hair (silver up top and dyed beneath), would you mind posting it?

justbecause

Elenna
May 2nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Furiana Yeah, styles like Isilya's woven bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5502)! :heart: Wouldn't that look cool with salt n' pepper colored hairsticks too?! Or what about hair toys that incorporate both the color of the silvers and the color of the dyed length!

Elenna yes styles exactly like Isilya's woven bun. And think silver hair = silver hair toys. Multi-colored hair sticks would look cool with salt 'n pepper hair. You are so RIGHT.

Well, growing out the hair dye is kind of hard!

Yes it takes time to grow and it is so hard waiting. Especially, seeing all the beautiful hair on LHC.

I hope you take pics! :D Actually -- if you find a style that works well with two-toned hair (silver up top and dyed beneath), would you mind posting it?

Well, there is the Karen Lynn bun in album. Waiting for a new hair toy (French comb). It is in the mail. Hopefully, that will work with the French Twist I am planning on.

Elenna
May 3rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
Ok, put hair up in a French Braid today!

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb144/elenna_2007/Moi-May2009-FrenchBraid-2.jpg

Demetrue
May 3rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
Your French braid looks great! You know what would also look awesome with gray streaks - a fishtail (or is it fishbone?) braid!

Furiana
May 3rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
Ooo, I bet that would look cool! You know how multicolored yarn starts to form patterns/patches/blocks of color once you've knitted or crocheted enough rows? I bet something similar would happen with multicolored/salt n' pepper hair in a fishtail braid!

Elenna, I commented in your photo album, but I'll comment again: You totally pulled off that braid! :flower:

Elenna
May 5th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Adding a topsy tail today, my hair is very uncooperative.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb144/elenna_2007/TopsyTail-May52009.jpg

Elenna
May 5th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Your French braid looks great! You know what would also look awesome with gray streaks - a fishtail (or is it fishbone?) braid!

Demetrue thank you for your comment.

I thought that it was called the herringbone braid!!! Whether fishbone, fishtail or wishbone (couldn't resist). I have the instructions, just have to sit down and try it out.

Elenna
May 5th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Ooo, I bet that would look cool! You know how multicolored yarn starts to form patterns/patches/blocks of color once you've knitted or crocheted enough rows? I bet something similar would happen with multicolored/salt n' pepper hair in a fishtail braid! I commented in your photo album, but I'll comment again: You totally pulled off that braid! :flower:

Furiana thank you. I think that it is more like knitting or crocheting. In fact, Fishtail/Herringbone seems more woven than a regular braid.