PDA

View Full Version : Help! Do you have this problem?

SimplyLonghair
March 31st, 2009, 10:28 PM
This is my problem, I have many allergies and not just food allergies, but skin reactions as well.

Because of this I have to be careful what I put on both my skin and my hair.

My problem is when I find a product or shampoo or conditioner and IT WORKS and the next time I go to purchase it, the FORMULA HAS CHANGED! And they have added something that I couldn't touch with a ten foot pole! Urgh!

I spend so many hours finding a product and I love it and suddenly the rug is pulled out from under me!

So I am begging all of you gurus out there that make your own shampoo bars or conditioners please help me to make something that I can get to work for me and I can stop the madness! I want a life that is simple!

Things that are safe for me so far are Dr Bonner's Almond castile soap used as shampoo. Very watered down. But it is drying without a good conditioner.
What I really need is a conditioner, or a different shampoo alternative and a conditioner. Something that isn't horribly expensive to make and will work for me and be gluten free! No wheat or oats or barley among other things.

Help!
I really need someone that is making these already to chime in and help to rescue me! :rolleyes:
TIA

DragonLady
March 31st, 2009, 11:01 PM
Well, I've been diluting both my shampoos and conditioners 50/50 with water because they seem to work just as well or better that way. Maybe if you do find a product that works diluting it will help make it last longer?

hennaphile
March 31st, 2009, 11:02 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that!

It might pay to find out what specifically you are reacting too. Some good chemical free conditioners I've found:

Organic Excellence mint conditioner, feels so good!

natural innovations MSM conditioner

Morrocoo method conditioner (this is a weird one, but it's nice and light, try diluting)

NOW FOODS berry conditioner, the others have phenoxythanol

DragonLady
March 31st, 2009, 11:05 PM
Also, have you tried using egg yolks? I do this every week before I shampoo:

2 egg yolks, with ALL the white removed
2 Tablespoons of honey
2 Teaspoons of olive oil or coconut oil or
1 Teaspoon each olive and coconut oil

Optional: 1/4 cup of warm beer

Mix it all up, apply to damp hair, tie hair into plastic bag or cover with shower cap, leave for an hour and rinse with lukewarm (not hot, as it will cook the egg) water. Follow with catnip treatment, if desired.

I can skip the shampoo altogether if I do that, although I will start getting a bit greasy 5 days later.

SimplyLonghair
March 31st, 2009, 11:34 PM
My hair only sometimes likes eggs and so I cannot use it too often. Beer a definite no no. :nono:

Yes I already dilute everything so it lasts but I am just tired of the constant search. So I want to make something or herb wash with something that my hair likes for more than one wash. Even organic ones have things that irritate my scalp. I cannot wear any preservatives and few vitamin E's unless they state Gluten Free as they come from wheat germ oil many times. That is why I want to make something. If I need to tweak, that is one thing, and I know what I am adding. That way I don't use something that is an irritant.

Arctic_Mama
April 1st, 2009, 01:39 AM
Have you tried the catnip rinse/brew mentioned on the natural hair care forum. It is supposedly very moisturizing and soothing to the scalp.

Arctic
April 1st, 2009, 02:13 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems... I have no recipes in hand but got few ideas.

First I suggest to ask moderators to change the subject line to reflect your need for conditioner resipes :flower: I'll bet you'll get more people here who make their own.

Then, if you google some (web) shops that sell incredients for home made cosmetics, you will find multitude of things for conditioners. The very basic formula doesn't have many incredients. These sites might also sell a very simple, ready made base formula, that might work for you. And perhaps recipes.
Conditioner would probably have purified water, fatty alcohols, some oils, and something to make them mix and stay in the wanted consistency.

I remember that at least our members Tomm and Wavestogrow have made their own conditioners, if you search the old archived boards you might find their wise words :) If I remeber correctly there was even a long thread about it.

In the sister site of LHC, the Beauty Bottle, there might be some recipes too if I remember correctly.

Then some more ideas: if your hair/skin likes oils, how about pre-shampoo oiling? (You'll probably need to take a look what plant the oil is made of, so to minimize the risk of allergens).

Glyserin is also great in mixes and on itself.

Avocado.

Aloe vera. I find juice is more moisturizing than gel.

ETA: Yogurt. If milk is one of the ingredients you'll need to avoid, soy yogurt might be an option, if you are not allergic to soy.

Coconut milk. (I have a feeling you'll need to avoid all nut and seeds but I put this here just in case)

Vinegar rinse. Or is vinegar gluten free? Hmmm... Anyway I never find them exactly conditioning but they give shine and close the cuticles.

Rosemary essential oil.

HTH!

ETA: For example this looks like a nice, ready made conditioner base (That you can use like it is without adding anything) and you can see the ingredients list too there, not many are needed to make good conditioner.
CLICK (http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/conditioner-cosmetic-base-p-580.html). They also sell individual ingredients.

Also, if you have some "allergy approved" brands of cosmetics, like we have in Finland, they might be a good choise. They are also made of only very basic, few ingredients and paying attention none of them is a known/common allergen.

SHELIAANN1969
April 1st, 2009, 06:24 AM
I have been making my own soft/cream/whipped soap and using it as a poo, I alternate with all natural shampoo heavily diluted.

Here is the whole thread if you are interested.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21112

I am still having issues with finding a relatively inexpensive / natural conditioner that works well. I have been buying in bulk off ebay but the conditioner does not work anywhere near as well as V05, but V05 has become a big no no for me, grrrrrrrr. sniff sniff, I sure miss it!

You can make your own soap/poo bars, hot process is really quick, easy and I find it rather fun! ;)

I am becoming sensitive to everything, or so it seems, it's aggravating the living crap out of me. I have to be carefl fo everything, geez, it's a pain.

I am still seeking different methods, if you find the perfect method let me know! :D

Jessclewlow
April 1st, 2009, 06:30 AM
have you tried baby shampoo?
i have really sensitive skin/scalp too... ive found that pantene products seem to work really well for me... but sometimes it flares up more than usual... then baby shampoo works a treat for me... i know that it dosnt contain all the essential neutrients needed but now and again it seems to work brilliantly for me and leaves my hair feeling and looking gorgeous. x

Gothic Lolita
April 1st, 2009, 06:45 AM
Babyshampoo works well for some peope, but it's more alkaline than normal shampoo and sometimes hasn't really less irritants than other stuff. But as long as it works, everything is alright.

I've various skin problems too, but not a severe as you have. Have you tried Indian herb washing? I'm not familiar with it myself, but I remember some posts of members with really sensitive skin who had success with it.
If you aren't allergic to catnip, treatments would be good with is as it is very conditioning. Also honey might be an option. There's a thread somewhere ( can't remember the exact forum) where members discussed homemade conditioner recipes, maybe you can find something achievable and nice there.

marialena
April 1st, 2009, 09:59 AM
This is my problem, I have many allergies and not just food allergies, but skin reactions as well.

Because of this I have to be careful what I put on both my skin and my hair.

My problem is when I find a product or shampoo or conditioner and IT WORKS and the next time I go to purchase it, the FORMULA HAS CHANGED! And they have added something that I couldn't touch with a ten foot pole! Urgh!

I spend so many hours finding a product and I love it and suddenly the rug is pulled out from under me!

So I am begging all of you gurus out there that make your own shampoo bars or conditioners please help me to make something that I can get to work for me and I can stop the madness! I want a life that is simple!

Things that are safe for me so far are Dr Bonner's Almond castile soap used as shampoo. Very watered down. But it is drying without a good conditioner.
What I really need is a conditioner, or a different shampoo alternative and a conditioner. Something that isn't horribly expensive to make and will work for me and be gluten free! No wheat or oats or barley among other things.

Help!
I really need someone that is making these already to chime in and help to rescue me! :rolleyes:
TIA

I count my self as the most allergic person in the world so I have to give you this advice.
Stop using shampoos. fragrances, detergents and any kind of product that has chemical ingredients. Thats a rule and trust me you, will see lot of improvement for your allergy in general.
Then stuck to a product that you know that doesn't hurts you. I use for example only olive oil soap, but everywhere. For my hair, in bath, for washing my clothes, for cleaning my house.. everywhere.
I don't use products with chemicals first because they change every time the composite ( is this the right word?? not sure) and second because most of the chemicals are not tested in long term use for their safety ( worst if you are already allergic).
So in your case ( and mine) less is more..
I won't suggest something for you by the time you are so allergic, it wouldn't be responsible.. Try to remember what natural products didn't hurt you in the past, and prefer those with less ingredients.
For conditioning try oils and prefer those that don't have any kind of strong smell.

aahavaa
April 1st, 2009, 10:15 AM
I am also extremely sensitive to many things and can only use Urtekram shampoos..and even then I have to stay clear of those with added strong oils such as citrus ones.That being said I sooo identify with finding that they change formulations just when you find something that works.Its the story of my life LOL Since they went SLS free their shampoos dont seem to leave my hair looking that good but I havent yet found an alternative that I wouldnt be made sick by.
So anyway I wonder if you have given the Urtekram shampoos and conditioners a try.And Ill be keeping a close eye on this thread since I am in a similiar situation to you.

spidermom
April 1st, 2009, 10:16 AM
I can identify so strongly with this one, but it's not me, it's my DD. She is very allergic to coconut, and coconut products are found in 99.9% of shampoos and conditioners. I searched on line and found a couple of products that contain no coconut and at least one of them is gluten free as well (can't remember which one): Earth Science (the mild, unscented one) and Savonniere (the spelling might be a bit off).

rags
April 1st, 2009, 10:24 AM
I count my self as the most allergic person in the world so I have to give you this advice.
Stop using shampoos. fragrances, detergents and any kind of product that has chemical ingredients. Thats a rule and trust me you, will see lot of improvement for your allergy in general.
Then stuck to a product that you know that doesn't hurts you. I use for example only olive oil soap, but everywhere. For my hair, in bath, for washing my clothes, for cleaning my house.. everywhere.
I don't use products with chemicals first because they change every time the composite ( is this the right word?? not sure) and second because most of the chemicals are not tested in long term use for their safety ( worst if you are already allergic).
So in your case ( and mine) less is more..
I won't suggest something for you by the time you are so allergic, it wouldn't be responsible.. Try to remember what natural products didn't hurt you in the past, and prefer those with less ingredients.
For conditioning try oils and prefer those that don't have any kind of strong smell.

I know exactly what the OP means, as the same thing happens to me! However, as regards this advice - some of us are more allergic to the "natural" stuff than the chemicals! I would be one of those. Everyone is different.

ETA: I am also deathly allergic to some chemicals! Just pointing out that "natural" doesn't mean safe.

marialena
April 1st, 2009, 12:24 PM
I had a conversation about chemicals one of these days. The problem with them is double. They are substances that you don't normally find in nature, and for that reason you wouldn't normally exposed to them. Our systems are not made for some chemicals. On the other hand there are thousands of them and you never know which one of those exist e.g in a ordinary shampoo and perhaps can be harmful to you personally.. Don't believe the tests that the companies claim they do. They usually do the test in a number of people ( if they do so) but no product is personally tested for anyone.

If someone is sure that he or she is allergic to a natural stuff of course is better not to use it. But can you be sure in which chemical ingredient, from the dozens that a product might has, you are allergic to?

Try this test. Take some of the products that you use daily and write in a paper their ingredients. You will be surprised from their number.. Then think that. If you are allergic just to 5 of them what happens?

I think the reasons for allergies are cumulative too. We already live in an "not so natural" environment. I don't see any reason to make things worst. ( especially if we are allergic and we know it ).

SimplyLonghair
April 1st, 2009, 06:11 PM
I am still seeking different methods, if you find the perfect method let me know! :D

I'm checking out the links and if I do find something I will let you know!:cheese:

have you tried baby shampoo?
i have really sensitive skin/scalp too... ive found that pantene
Way too many presevatives! And too harsh for my scalp.

Stop using shampoos. fragrances, detergents and any kind of product that has chemical ingredients.
For conditioning try oils and prefer those that don't have any kind of strong smell.I already use as few chemicals as possible. I am actually better than I used to be due to less exposure. I use castile which is olive oil based for most everything that I can. I use vinegar that is safe for laundry and I use ACV rinses now. I also use Virgin Coconut oil to pre oil and that is helping, but I haven't perfected the amounts needed yet. Balancing the castile needed to wash out enough of the oil but not too much.:rolleyes:

I know exactly what the OP means, as the same thing happens to me! However, as regards this advice - some of us are more allergic to the "natural" stuff than the chemicals! I would be one of those. Everyone is different.

ETA: I am also deathly allergic to some chemicals! Just pointing out that "natural" doesn't mean safe.Yes natural is what is the problem, but so are the chemicals. Wheat is natural so are oats they are everywhere in skin and hair products these days. They give me blisters and hives and if too much even breathing issues so I have to be extremely careful.
I once got splashed with Heinz 57 sauce and I almost had to go to the hospital due to the vinegar that is barley based. :shocked:

I appreciate everyones input and will continue to search the threads that you have posted for info that might help.
As far as the title goes, I really struggled with what to put it as I is a major issue for me :shrug: I might have them change the title, or just start a new thread that is simply recipes, if I cannot find one already started.:D
Thanks again everyone!

SimplyLonghair
April 1st, 2009, 06:15 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems... I have no recipes in hand but got few ideas.

First I suggest to ask moderators to change the subject line to reflect your need for conditioner resipes :flower: I'll bet you'll get more people here who make their own.

Then, if you google some (web) shops that sell incredients for home made cosmetics, you will find multitude of things for conditioners. The very basic formula doesn't have many incredients. These sites might also sell a very simple, ready made base formula, that might work for you. And perhaps recipes.
Conditioner would probably have purified water, fatty alcohols, some oils, and something to make them mix and stay in the wanted consistency.

I remember that at least our members Tomm and Wavestogrow have made their own conditioners, if you search the old archived boards you might find their wise words :) If I remeber correctly there was even a long thread about it.

In the sister site of LHC, the Beauty Bottle, there might be some recipes too if I remember correctly.

Then some more ideas: if your hair/skin likes oils, how about pre-shampoo oiling? (You'll probably need to take a look what plant the oil is made of, so to minimize the risk of allergens).

Glyserin is also great in mixes and on itself.

Avocado.

Aloe vera. I find juice is more moisturizing than gel.

ETA: Yogurt. If milk is one of the ingredients you'll need to avoid, soy yogurt might be an option, if you are not allergic to soy.

Coconut milk. (I have a feeling you'll need to avoid all nut and seeds but I put this here just in case)

Vinegar rinse. Or is vinegar gluten free? Hmmm... Anyway I never find them exactly conditioning but they give shine and close the cuticles.

Rosemary essential oil.

HTH!

ETA: For example this looks like a nice, ready made conditioner base (That you can use like it is without adding anything) and you can see the ingredients list too there, not many are needed to make good conditioner.
CLICK (http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/conditioner-cosmetic-base-p-580.html). They also sell individual ingredients.

Also, if you have some "allergy approved" brands of cosmetics, like we have in Finland, they might be a good choise. They are also made of only very basic, few ingredients and paying attention none of them is a known/common allergen.
Thank you! I will check out some of the archives and see what I can find. I have googled and my problem is that without a chemical degree I just don't even know where the ingredients come from, and if I don't know the source I don't trust them. So the search goes on. :D

ratgirldjh
April 1st, 2009, 06:19 PM
have you tried overnight hair oiling (with something you can tolerate) and then washing it out with your dr. bronner's? i have done this. it works very well - if you don't use too much oil anyway ;)

wintersun99
April 1st, 2009, 06:40 PM
Shampoo bars? (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/index.html)

Rosepatrice
April 1st, 2009, 07:06 PM
Without a doubt AO are my hands down fave.

Also, I found, for me (and this is just for ME) that when I changed my diet to an all raw vegan fresh organic food diet, my allergies (and I had alot, just like you have) all but went away, HOWEVER I cannot deal with chemicals, still. I think that is GOOD IMO. Who wants chemicals we can't even pronounce on our skin and hair? Those same chemicals get right into our bloodstream!! yucky.

Anje
April 1st, 2009, 07:14 PM
Well, I don't make my own stuff, but these are what come to mind:

-Coconut milk. Dianyla uses it as her normal conditioner.
-Catnip tea. Hasn't been extremely promising for me, but a lot of people love it.
-Goth Rosary Nothingness conditioner. The ingredients list is: Aqua (Distilled Water), Dipalmitoylethyl Dimonium Chloride (from Palm Oil), Cellulose (plant fiber), Deoxyglutamyl Fructose (from Sugar Beets) & Fragrance if chosen. Of course, you'll want to figure out the source of the cellulose.
-SylvieL solid conditioner. Ingredients: Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey, Limnanthes alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Cocoa Butter, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, PEG-150 Distearate, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Tin Oxide.

I'll also point out that you can purchase ingredients like behentrimonium methosulfate, cetearyl alcohol, and cetyl alcohol from lots of the soap crafter places online. You may be able to mix these with water and an oil of your choosing to make a custom conditioner. But I haven't tried it, since I don't have the sensitivities, just a fragrance-sensitive hubby.