PDA

View Full Version : CWC Instructions?

marla
March 31st, 2009, 08:12 PM
Can someone please explain how to do CWC? I tried to do a search but it didn't work, maybe because it only has three characters. Is the idea that you coat your hair with conditioner, then use shampoo, then rinse it all out, then use conditioner again? Or do you rinse the first "C" out and then use the shampoo? I tried doing CO but my hair is fine and my scalp seems to need a little cleansing else the hair on my head is very flat.

danacc
March 31st, 2009, 08:39 PM
Here's how I do it:

- Wet head and length
- Coat the length only (ears down) with cheap, light conditioner
- Apply a tiny bit of diluted shampoo to the scalp only, massage (leave length with conditioner coating it hanging down)
- Rinse everything out together
- Apply conditioner to length only, could be a heavy conditioner this time, depending on what my hair needs
- Let sit for a few minutes, then rinse
- Rinse more

danacc
March 31st, 2009, 08:40 PM
Oh, and I use no-cone conditioner both times. Since I'm basically using CO on the length, I don't want cone build-up. But my hair isn't crazy about cones, anyway.

spidermom
March 31st, 2009, 08:43 PM
I CWC pretty much the same way as danacc. Sometimes I massage suds down my length, but not very often - maybe once every 2-3 months. I use coney products; that's why.

Carolyn
March 31st, 2009, 08:44 PM
The way I do it is coat my length with conditioner and then use shampoo on the scalp area. If it runs down the length that's OK. Sometimes I dilute my shampoo and sometimes I don't. Next I rinse and condition again usually with something heavy and moisturizing because that's what my hair seems to like best. I believe Martine was the one who coined the term CWC. She doesn't post here anymore but you might find her old posts in the LHC archives. She used to post a lot at the LonghairLoom. I'm not sure if they have a search function there or not.

marla
March 31st, 2009, 08:52 PM
So do you coat your length with the same conditioner as the final conditioner? Or can you use moisturizing conditioner for both parts?

Ash
March 31st, 2009, 08:56 PM
You probably could if you wanted to. I use 2 different conditioners but it probably would work the same if I used one.

spidermom
March 31st, 2009, 08:57 PM
I use the same conditioner for both parts - always.

viking_quest
March 31st, 2009, 11:11 PM
I use a cone-free conditioner from my ears down and a SLS-free shampoo (I don't dilute) on my scalp. Rinse it all out then I use the same conditioner on my whole head and on my scalp, and then rinse that out.

Jeni
March 31st, 2009, 11:36 PM
I will use the same conditioner or a different conditioner depending on what I have available, what I feel like, if I want something "stronger", etc.

For me the conditioner I use for my first C is not as important as the second C. My hair loves cones but I do have some non cone/light cone conditioners for use in SMTs/rinsing cassia and because I'm a sucker of new stuff. I will sometimes use one of those as my first C and use a coney conditioner for my second.

I am currently washing with dairy whip and cone conditioners and haven't noticed any build up on my length but then I have never experienced build up from cones even when I was using a SLS free shampoo with the cones...

Silverlox
March 31st, 2009, 11:50 PM
So do you coat your length with the same conditioner as the final conditioner? Or can you use moisturizing conditioner for both parts?

You should do whatever works for you. :flower:
Try one kind of conditioner first, if it doesn't work, try another, or skip the method completely.

CWC simply means that you condition-wash-condition, there are no rules set in stone as to which particular brands or types of products to use. I generally use the same conditioner for both C's, but that's mainly because I'm lazy, don't have enough room for more bottles on the edge of my sink, and because so far it works for me.

Since my hair is very dry, I also use a leave-in condition and/or a little oil on my ends, after I've rinsed out the second C.

As with any and all methods described on these boards, YMMV. :)

Niphredil
April 1st, 2009, 01:55 AM
I wet my hair, coat the length and the canopy at crown area (a part of my hair that is prone to dryness) with the first conditioner, then pour some undiluted shampoo in my hand and dip my fingers in it to distribute it on my scalp and massage it in. I might add some water to the scalp for easier massaging.

I then rinse it all out, keeping the length to the side for the first few seconds and then let the remaining suds clean the length.

Then I put the second conditioner on the length and 'clean my hands' on the scalp area. I let that sit for a while doing the other showerly duties and then rinse rinse rinse and rinse some more.

I have a ton of almost empty bottles around so I use one of those as the first conditioner and the conditioner that matches my shampoo for the second conditioner. I just happen to have found a series I like both shampoo and conditioner, but that is obviously not necessary at all.

Ursula's standard newbie advice contains also some easy CWC instructions! You'll find that one in the articles section.

HTH

Carolyn
April 1st, 2009, 07:49 AM
So do you coat your length with the same conditioner as the final conditioner? Or can you use moisturizing conditioner for both parts?My personal preference is to use a light el cheapo conditioner for the first "C" and then use something heavy and moisturizing for the second "C". My hair craves moisture and I prefer a conditioner that weighs my hair down a bit.

You have to experiment and see what you like. You'll try some things you don't like and you'll learn what they are. Some conditioners and techniques will work better than others. If something doesn't work you simply wash again with different products or a different method.

Laurenji
April 1st, 2009, 09:40 PM
I'm new to all this...I didn't even start using conditioner until last week when I found the LHC. So I don't know the difference between conditioners. What are some examples of "light" and "heavy" conditioners?

Niphredil
April 2nd, 2009, 01:35 AM
As I don't know where you are located I can't give any examples.
However, the lighter conditioners are usually the cheap ones and/or ones that advertise with 'volumizing'.
The moisturizing and other 'repair' conditioners are usually on the heavy side.
And then there is the YMMV issue. What one person thinks is light, might be heavy for another.

HTH

Carolyn
April 2nd, 2009, 05:08 AM
I'm new to all this...I didn't even start using conditioner until last week when I found the LHC. So I don't know the difference between conditioners. What are some examples of "light" and "heavy" conditioners?The cheaper conditioners are often lighter. Such as Suave, VO5 and White Rain. Sometimes you'll find a description on the bottle. Giovanni conditioners have a little rating thing on the back of the bottle.

enfys
April 2nd, 2009, 09:33 AM
I use what seems to be the most popular method; wet all my hair, conditioner on the length, dilute shampoo on the scalp. Then I hold my hair out of the way while I rinse the scalp. If I'm washing out a heavy oiling I will squzee the suds downwards though. Then conditioner on the length, wipe my hands off in my scalp, clip it out the way while I shower, rinse rinse rinse then turn down to cold and rinse.

I use a cheap Dove contitioner in a blue bottle, which has cones, and a SLS free shampoo that me and my hair are still getting used to. I will swap to a better quality, cone free shampoo when I'm less poor and have run out of my Dove one.

You really need to find what works for you. CWC works for me, but I've never tried CO or WO since I never felt the need to!