PDA

View Full Version : A 3rd Grader asked me for hair advice!

IndigoInk
March 31st, 2009, 05:01 PM
I was subbing yesterday and a little girl walked up to me and asked me why the ends of her hair didn't look like mine do. Her ends were just very dry but she has beautiful waist length hair. I must have looked confused b/c she got really quiet and then said that someone told her I had long hair. LOL I told her mine was about as long as hers and took my hair down. Her eyes got all big and she exclaimed, "Yours is WAY longer than mine!" :D I asked her what she washed her hair with and she said she had this shampoo that she used that was also a body wash. I asked her if she used conditioner and she said no, so I told her to ask her mom if she could borrow some of hers. I didn't want to tell her to buy anything, she's only 9! It just totally made my day though :D I have that same class again at the end of April and I'm excited to see her again.

jera
March 31st, 2009, 05:04 PM
Don't you just love compliments like that? :) And kids are always so honest.

Carolyn
March 31st, 2009, 05:06 PM
That's one of the nicest hair stories I've ever heard. I bet that little girl never forgets you as long as she lives.

Fillette
March 31st, 2009, 05:14 PM
That is a very sweet story. It put a smile on my face :)

Tornerose
March 31st, 2009, 05:24 PM
aww that's so cute :D

Yedda
March 31st, 2009, 05:38 PM
I hope one of these days I'll be able to tell a story like this:)

jojo
March 31st, 2009, 05:54 PM
Thats a lovely story, I bet her hair will look better with your advise and you have probably started a life long habit. Dont forget an update when you see her again.

viking_quest
March 31st, 2009, 06:56 PM
That's really adorable.

Juneii
March 31st, 2009, 09:27 PM
awh! that is so cute, it seems you have roped in another long hair fanatic, good job IndigoInk!

Bene
March 31st, 2009, 09:43 PM
wow, that's actually kind of cute.

off topic though, i think it's really great that she felt comfortable enough to ask you for advice. i mean, she felt you were approachable and that's totally fabulous, and i wish more teachers were like that. and it's great that you answered her question responsibly and didn't blow her off or make her feel bad about asking such a question. so kudos to you, if only there were more teachers like you :)

WelshLocks
March 31st, 2009, 09:55 PM
How cute!When in April do you get to see her?

LittleOrca
March 31st, 2009, 09:56 PM
Awww, that made me smile :D

IndigoInk
April 1st, 2009, 12:17 AM
wow, that's actually kind of cute.

off topic though, i think it's really great that she felt comfortable enough to ask you for advice. i mean, she felt you were approachable and that's totally fabulous, and i wish more teachers were like that. and it's great that you answered her question responsibly and didn't blow her off or make her feel bad about asking such a question. so kudos to you, if only there were more teachers like you :)

Thank you:)

I love teaching. I really love the kids, they are all so amazing.

I get to teach that class again the last week of april for a day and a half. I teach 5th grade the most...I'm not really sure why LOL. I love all the grades though!

I was so excited she asked me b/c I have noticed her hair before but this was my first full day in her class.

Gumball
April 1st, 2009, 12:53 AM
That's such a sweet story. Too cute.

Fifty-Five
April 1st, 2009, 01:41 AM
That's a really cute story =3 And it's great that she was able to talk to you, and not just because it's good for a teacher to be approachable, but it's also a good quality in a positive role model. I know that when I was that age, girls in my class had begun trying to be like their favourite celebrities. (not all, but some, so it's a good age for a positive role model since I see so many celebrities who I'd like to slap since they're adored by children so much)

Phalaenopsis
April 1st, 2009, 04:06 AM
Very cute. I'm hoping that her mom uses conditioner! :grin:

EtherealJane
April 1st, 2009, 07:10 AM
That story is too freaking cute. I tutor a 3rd grader, and she has beautiful tailbone length hair that makes me so envious, lol. She likes all my hair sticks and hair toys though--she mostly wears her hair down or in braids.

IndigoInk
April 1st, 2009, 08:16 AM
Very cute. I'm hoping that her mom uses conditioner! :grin:

LOL yeah she told me she does.

KajiKodomo
April 1st, 2009, 08:40 AM
That's so cute! :D

JamieLeigh
April 1st, 2009, 08:43 AM
Aww! That's so sweet, and I bet it took a lot of nerve to ask someone she didn't really know a hair question. :) I bet that made her day as much as it made yours. Maybe we'll be seeing her on the forum in a few years!

AutumnSky
April 1st, 2009, 09:11 AM
What a great story!

enfys
April 1st, 2009, 02:34 PM
Oh how cute! It's really important for kids to be able to talk to teachers. If she ever had a problem like bullying it's great that she's not scared of you!

I'm sure she'll grow up to be confident with beautiful hair!