PDA

View Full Version : For those who shaved their heads..

Darkhorse1
March 31st, 2009, 04:47 PM
I'm curious to know for those who shaved their heads and grew their hair back in, did your hair grow in different? ie--curlier/straighter? I know this can happen to those who lose hair due to chemo, but I was curious to know if this happened to those who chose to just shave and start again.

ktani
March 31st, 2009, 04:51 PM
I'm curious to know for those who shaved their heads and grew their hair back in, did your hair grow in different? ie--curlier/straighter? I know this can happen to those who lose hair due to chemo, but I was curious to know if this happened to those who chose to just shave and start again.

If it has, it would not be about shaving it, but whatever changes happened internally. Shaving only cuts off hair to the skin line. It does not affect the folicle or any internal condition that could result in regrowth changes to hair.

jojo
March 31st, 2009, 05:07 PM
My hair is curlier when short, its the length which drags the curl into a wave not the cut. But you are quite right that chemo changes the hairs structure, my friend went from light brown straight hair, to red curly hair after chemo but she has it short; I keep trying to convince her to grow it!

jera
March 31st, 2009, 05:10 PM
I've never shaved, but my hair is straighter when it's short. At least it was. I'ts been a very long time since I've seen it short. ;)

Chromis
March 31st, 2009, 05:10 PM
My head was shaved for surgery relating to my cancer, but I did not need chemo or radiation therapy so it grew back in just the same as it was before! It was awfully cold without it though and very annoying.

RancheroTheBee
March 31st, 2009, 05:11 PM
Well, it seems like my hair is different, because I stopped treating it like crap after it came back in. It was fine and wavy before, and now it's so thick that I'm beginning to question again whether or not I have some Greek heritage. It never got this voluminous before, since I've been abusing my hair since I was twelve. I never appreciated my hair enough to treat it well.

manderly
March 31st, 2009, 05:24 PM
No, the section of hair I shaved off (it's fun to rub!) grew back identical to what was there :D

spidermom
March 31st, 2009, 05:32 PM
My niece shaved her head at age 13. It was about 1C at the time. It grew in curlier, much curlier - 3A at least. And I'm not kidding. Puberty maybe?

forestwitch
March 31st, 2009, 05:40 PM
As with RancheroTheBee my hair also seemed better because it was about a month after that I foung the LHC.
Besides being a lot more shiny and smooth, the only very noticable change is that my hair seems to be much darker (it went from being honey brown to dark walnut). Though I read somewhere that this could be due to the fact that I got rid of my blowfryer *shrugs*

Wanderlust
March 31st, 2009, 05:44 PM
I've shaved my head twice, and my hair is thinner and straighter now. Not sure if that's due to the shaving, or all the dyes and chemicals I've put on my head.

manderly
March 31st, 2009, 06:00 PM
My niece shaved her head at age 13. It was about 1C at the time. It grew in curlier, much curlier - 3A at least. And I'm not kidding. Puberty maybe?

What a mindfark that must've been! LOL. Can you imagine? The same hair for 13 years, shave it off, BAM! different hair! Neat :D

spidermom
March 31st, 2009, 06:07 PM
What a mindfark that must've been! LOL. Can you imagine? The same hair for 13 years, shave it off, BAM! different hair! Neat :D

Isn't it? Her younger sister wanted curly hair too so she got her big sister to shave her head. It grew back in just as straight as it had been before (1A), but she was 10. She's 16 now and has the same straight hair; her older sister still has the ringlets.

Darkhorse1
March 31st, 2009, 06:08 PM
I was curious to know that if shaving could some how affect the hair, or if chemo some how affected the folicles, therefore changed your hair type. This was why I figured asking those who had shaved their heads noticed any change.

I guess it would really depend on age too, as well as life style, over all health etc.

invisiblebabe
March 31st, 2009, 06:19 PM

Ya, sometimes hormones will do that.

My hair went from 1B (probably) to about a 2A during the teen years. One girl in my high school had her hair go from about a 2A to a 3B.

Juneii
March 31st, 2009, 09:24 PM

My hair went from 1B (probably) to about a 2A during the teen years. One girl in my high school had her hair go from about a 2A to a 3B.

ah? maybe if I wished hard enough my 1a would go to a 2C? :D ahahaha I think I'm a bit too late for that.

RocketDog
March 31st, 2009, 09:52 PM
I've shaved my head down to stubble twice, and both times my hair has grown back exactly the same weight/texture as it was before I hauled out the clippers.

I did experience a big shift in hair texture as I went through puberty, going from a 1A to a 2C over the course of a year or so. My color darkened from the towheady blonde I was as a young child to my current tawny blonde.

RancheroTheBee
March 31st, 2009, 09:56 PM

Ugh, this happened to me. Before I hit puberty, my hair must have been 1a or 1b. It was an ashy dark blonde shade. The same day I got boobs was the day my hair started going all Diana-Ross-meets-brush on me. Then, it went bronze colored and wavy before I hit my twenties. I can't wait until I'm thirty; I'll wake up one day with purple hair that floats over my head like I'm underwater.

Igor
March 31st, 2009, 10:13 PM
My hair grew back coarser, denser and redder

Biology and logic tells me there is no way the follicle can know what’s going on at the end of the hair strand and there’s no way the follicle that is controlled by genetics and body chemistry can change due to where, when or how you cut

But none the less, my hair changed :hmm:

kimi
March 31st, 2009, 11:13 PM
I wonder if it's the same for men - especially young men who for instance go to boot camp and have their heads shaved. My son's hair was light brown and curly and is now dark brown and straight. Anyway, just musing.