PDA

View Full Version : Gnawed on hair

jivete
March 31st, 2009, 01:56 PM
It looks like someone (or something) gnawed on the lowest layer of my hair or rather, the underlayer. There are tons of dots/splits etc. Way more than the majority of my hair. I guess you could call this nape hair, but it's the lowest inch or so of the hair up from the nape, if that makes sense.

I guess it's probably damage from wearing it down as it rubs on scarves and sweaters but, man, it seems really damaged. Especially considering it's hair that's young (compared to the canopy) and exposed to less harm like sun, heat, etc. Does anyone else have this kind of problem? Could it be something else I'm not thinking of?

This layer is hidden under the bulk of my hair, so it isn't noticeable, but my hemline needs all the help it can get to look thick. And I'm sure it contributes to tangles. Any ideas?

pointydog
March 31st, 2009, 02:19 PM
The hair that grows out from just above my nape is the shortest hair on my head. It's 10" or so shorter than the average length. It often tangles and has more split ends. I don't really know why. I do wear my hair down sometimes, and even though I braid for bed I often have tangled shorties pulled out of the braid on the underside when I wake in the morning.

If you find a solution, let me know. Maybe oiling my hair would protect these until they can get longer?

Finoriel
March 31st, 2009, 02:27 PM
Do you wear a hair gnawing necklace? I had some very evil ones which used to gnaw on the fine nape hair until I identified their evil hair eating habit :wink:. Adding that to wearing it down and rubbing on scarves and sweaters, it can cause some breakage.

spidermom
March 31st, 2009, 02:33 PM
I've got that, too. I think it's partly from pulling my hair to the top of my head for sleep (ponytail or bun). I toss and turn a lot at night, which I am sure causes friction damage.

I don't wear my hair down very often, and I seldom wear a necklace but only when my hair is put up.

joyellen
March 31st, 2009, 02:48 PM
I have this problem, too. I don't wear any necklaces, but I do wear it loose when I sleep so that could contribute to it.

Meli
March 31st, 2009, 03:18 PM
I have this, too. I rarely wear my hair down, I don't wear necklaces or sleep on this part of the hair. The only thing I've come up with that might cause damage is my comb. When I comb my hair, I always finish with gathering it into a ponytail and pull the comb through from the underside, to make sure the tines have penetrated my entire hair and no tangles are left. I have been suspecting for a while that my comb is too harsh for my friction-sensitive hair, and my combing habits would put extra stress on especially the nape area, so now I have tried fingercombing for a month. I haven't gone cold turkey, still use the comb occasionally, but I'm amazed at the reduction of splits already - including the nape area. I have yet to see if the nape damage travels down - it'll take a few months before I can tell.

jivete
March 31st, 2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks, ladies. I won't worry so much that I'm being a bad hair mom. :p

I'm pretty sure if I put it up more it won't be sooo bad, but if others with hair nicer than mine have the same problem, I won't fuss too much about it.

jivete
March 31st, 2009, 03:46 PM
Oh, and I don't wear necklaces much. Scarves on the other hand...

Norai
April 3rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
I've got this going on too... I think it's because I used to, for years, pull my hair into a nape-ponytail to sleep. Would be too lazy to braid it 95% of the time. I think I broke myself of that habit for the most part now!

Also, ditto on the necklaces. Used to get a few hairs caught in the latch when I wore them without fail... a few hairs each day you wear a necklace can really add up over time though.

They have magnetic necklace latches at Joann that work great if you make your own beaded stuff. There's no loose-end wire loop for hair to catch on.

JessicaVonMaim
April 3rd, 2009, 02:15 PM
I have this same problem, that one area of hair at the nape is so much shorter and broken than the rest of my hair. My best guess from putting your hair up or it rubbing against clothe and what not.

When I first saw the thread I pictured a cat munching on someones hair :p

Tichad3
April 3rd, 2009, 02:26 PM
I opened this thread thinking someone had the same problem as me....my piglets literally gnawed on my hair!!!!lol

marajade
April 3rd, 2009, 03:54 PM
It looks like someone (or something) gnawed on the lowest layer of my hair or rather, the underlayer. There are tons of dots/splits etc. Way more than the majority of my hair. I guess you could call this nape hair, but it's the lowest inch or so of the hair up from the nape, if that makes sense.

I guess it's probably damage from wearing it down as it rubs on scarves and sweaters but, man, it seems really damaged. Especially considering it's hair that's young (compared to the canopy) and exposed to less harm like sun, heat, etc. Does anyone else have this kind of problem? Could it be something else I'm not thinking of?

This layer is hidden under the bulk of my hair, so it isn't noticeable, but my hemline needs all the help it can get to look thick. And I'm sure it contributes to tangles. Any ideas?

I have the same issue- my have noticed that the underlayer hair is actually more moisturized and it tries to curl up more- it causes tangles. I am just really gentle when detangling and I be sure to S&D.

Peggy E.
April 3rd, 2009, 06:17 PM
I've got that, too. I think it's partly from pulling my hair to the top of my head for sleep (ponytail or bun). I toss and turn a lot at night, which I am sure causes friction damage.

I don't wear my hair down very often, and I seldom wear a necklace but only when my hair is put up.

I stopped wearing my hair up at night because it was causing so much breakage, both at the front scalp hair and at the back with the nape hair. Since I've stopped wearing it up at night, the scalp hair has finally grown back out and can now be brushed into the rest of the hair to be put up during the day.

I don't move around that much at night, but the pressure/pulling was enough to damage the hair. Not exactly what I was going for, of course!