PDA

View Full Version : what is your hair care regimen?

sagebabies
March 31st, 2009, 01:07 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and although I've had long hair in the past I cut it a few years ago but now I'm committed to having long hair again. I've been reading the forums and I was hoping anyone interested could give me a summary/nutshell of your hair care regimen....the whole thing :) There are so many different routines out there and I'd love to hear your unique routine!

I am going to be changing what I do with my hair routine and I want ideas. I realize I'll have to experiment to find what works with my hair, but regardless I know I want a different routine. I currently use Aveda shampoo and conditioner and I wash my hair about 2x per week. I do not use any products and I do not blow dry or use an iron on my hair. I've experimented with more "natural" forms of shampoo/conditioner but they leave my scalp very itchy and yucky feeling.

Thanks for sharing everyone!!

Firefly
March 31st, 2009, 01:17 PM
Welcome, Sagebabies! My advice would be to read some of the hair care articles to start. Then, find a few members who have a similar hair type as yours and who's hair you admire (there are lots to chose from here!). Most have a blog that will outline their basic hair care routine. Yeah, everyone's hair is different, so it will take some experimenting-- but it's a good place to start! I have my hair care routine posted on my blog if you're looking for that jumping off point! :)

RancheroTheBee
March 31st, 2009, 01:19 PM
CO of CWC with sulphate shampoos. I don't use shampoo very often, since I'm a wavy and it tends to make my hair very dry, no matter what's in it.

janeytilllie
March 31st, 2009, 01:42 PM
Hello :) and Welcome :blossom:

My hair routine

I wash my hair once a week with a organic SLS free- hemp shampoo bar. I use a shea butter soap as a conditioner. I oil my ends every night with coconut oil and I will also now and again deep condition with it.

I do not use heat or products

There are so many different hair care routines. The best thing to do is have a good browse around and experiment :) and find what works for you :D

feralnature
March 31st, 2009, 01:55 PM
Hi and welcome :)

I quit blow-frying my hair.

I only wash it when needed, about every 4 days.

I use VO5 shampoo or anything without "cones", and try not to wash the ends. I am not a nazi about it but I don't deliberately put shampoo on the ends of my hair.

I condition my hair and then rinse it in cold water.

I dry it with a towel and then let it air dry.

I finger comb when dry or use wide tooth comb. I never tear through my hair, the idea is not to snap or break even one single hair. You want all of them long.

I protect my hair if the wind it whipping, or if it will get tangled in something, always thinking about each strand. I have a pair of glasses for instance that tears my hair on the left side, so i always put a clip on the left side before putting on the glasses. It saves a few hairs each day.

I never brush my hair. I never cut my hair. I don't dye or bleach or perm. I do think about it but don't actually do it :)

Oh, and I take Biotin as well as multivitamins, Omega3s and eat tons of meat and protein.

OH and I oil it with coconut oil when I feel the need.

Flaxen
March 31st, 2009, 03:02 PM
This thread might help, too.
What's your hair care routine? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13002) :smile:

Cinnamon Hair
March 31st, 2009, 07:33 PM
Welcome to the board. Here is a page (http://classiclength.googlepages.com/routine.html) that explains my routine.

EdG
April 3rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Welcome sagebabies! :)

I wrote an article (http://www.edgrochowski.com/haircare.htm) about my hair care routine.
Ed

aries
April 3rd, 2009, 11:56 PM
I use JessiCurl products for the moisture and my scalp normally and wash once a week. Deep treat every 2 to 3 weeks now and use coconut, jojoba or camellia oil on my ends before bunning or after braiding (going to stop that at night due to breakage). I spritz my hair with distilled water when it starts feeling dry and put a small amount of oil on the damp ends to help hold in moisture before midday.

My routine is pretty easy and I am really lazy with it. A lot of times I don't take my bun down during the day to moisten my hair lol.

LittleOrca
April 4th, 2009, 12:50 AM
As a swimmer, I have two hair care routines and so far it is working very well for me.

Regular Routine: Shampoo once/twice a week with Nexxus Shampoo and Conditioner (Moisturizing Line). I will then sometimes CO (conditioner only) wash up to 5 times a week with coconut oil serum added to the ends of my hair and Nexxus Ultimate Moisturizing Conditioner leave-in spay combed in. [Sometimes I stretch my washes and don't CO at all.]

Swimming Routine: Ion's Swimmer shampoo, Ion's swimmer conditioner, regular conditioner soak for 5 minutes (sometimes Pantene or Herbal Essence [which ever I am trying to use up the last bits of]), coconut serum on the ends, air/blow dry (depending on how cold it is), comb. Then wash with Ion clarifying shampoo and a conditioner soak the next night again before slipping back into regular routine. Recently, I have found I can skip the Ion clarifying shampoo and go right back into my Nexxus-based routine and my hair responds a bit better than before.

About twice a month I will use a clarifying shampoo to clean up any extra cone buildup happening and remove the crud from styling products (if I use them and I very rarely do. I can't remember the last time I use hairspray.)

Arctic
April 4th, 2009, 01:50 AM
When you have enough posts (25 I think) you can see people's profile pages, and there many have written down their routines.

I copy/paste mine:

- usually wash every second day
- mostly S+C, every now and then CWC
- clarifying shampoo when needed (not often now that I mainly S+C)
- no conditioner on scalp; rinsing it well
- diluted vinegar rinses when remember (at the moment I have red wine vinegar)
- aloe vera gel, rosemary and lavender EOs on scalp after wash
- leave-in conditioner on wet hair
- carefully combing with wide toothed, seamless comb
- lot of updos + braids, hair stays cleaner for longer and I don't handle it so much
- S&D every few weeks
- trim about every 3-4 months when ends get bad

Debra83
April 4th, 2009, 02:02 AM
a) sleeping on a satin pillowcase
b) using henna instead of hairdye
c) CWC
d) Coconut Oil/camellia oil
e) head massages
f) air drying more often, blowing drying on coolest setting
g) vitamins - including msm
h) Eqyss megatec (however you spell it!!!)
i)being more careful of mechanical damage
j) no pony tails/braids except on a very rare occasion. (I did two french braids in the last 6 months). I use hair claws instead of barrettes or ponytails.
k) no curling iron in last 6 months.

naturalme
April 4th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Welcome sagebabies! :)

I wrote an article (http://www.edgrochowski.com/haircare.htm) about my hair care routine.
Ed

Ed, thanks very much for that article, from another newbie. It really offers many hints that I need to know and implement sooner rather than later. :)

EdG
April 4th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Ed, thanks very much for that article, from another newbie. It really offers many hints that I need to know and implement sooner rather than later. :)You're welcome, naturalme! I'm glad the article was helpful. :)
Ed

JamieLeigh
April 6th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Currently I CO twice a week with Suave Naturals tropical coconut conditioner, and every 2-3 weeks I clarify with diluted Suave Clarifying shampoo. The morning of the day before my clarifying wash day, I coat my length, roots to tip, with olive oil and bun it. I go all day, sleep in the bun, and all the next day until evening when I'm ready to wash. After all washings, I use either Infusium-23 leave-in or Aussie Hair Insurance spritzer. Once a month, on a regular CO day that falls on a weekend, I also use a honey-conditioner mask before washing. I either air dry or damp bun, whichever is more convenient, and I sleep on it loose (and dry). So far I'm doing well, and my hair seems to like it. :cheese: