PDA

View Full Version : Fringe-washing problems

florenonite
March 31st, 2009, 07:56 AM
I cut a fringe about a month ago, and I love it. When I first cut it, I was washing my hair every three to four days, and so I just washed it when I washed the rest of my hair. However, I now wash every six days (I'm trying to get my wash day to Saturday and then I'll just wash weekly :p) but my fringe can't go that long. I tried washing it in the shower, because I shower every two to three days ordinarily, but it doesn't seem to work very well, and the hair's still greasy coming out of the shower.

When I was my whole head, I take about two parts shampoo and one part conditioner, mix them together between my palms and massage that all over my scalp, rinse and then condition and rinse the length. After my shower I put it up in a microfibre towel whilst I dry my body and get dressed.

When I wash just my fringe, I generally just use a bit of shampoo and rub it along the fringe, which I then rinse off in the water and clip back (the rest of my hair is in a bun). I tried wrapping in a microfibre towel but found that my hair just got frizzy as it's dry. Hence, I clip it back with a wee claw clip whilst I go about the rest of my shower, and once I'm dressed I take my fringe down, press it between bits of towel to absorb some of the water, and leave it down to dry naturally. However, when I do this, it doesn't seem to clean properly, and stays looking a bit greasy. It looks fine if I clip the fringe back (better than it would if I didn't wash it) but I can't wear it out, which is a shame because I much prefer the way I look with a fringe than without.

Any suggestions for washing it better?

TIA

Paliele
March 31st, 2009, 09:26 AM
I'm curious about this too! I love my fringe, but by the third day it's looking nasty. My hair doesn't need to be washed that often, but the fringe definitely does. I've tried washing it with a little bit of shampoo over the sink and it looks ok, but not great and it's greasy again the very next day.

KellieKay
March 31st, 2009, 10:36 AM
I wash mine in the sink. It is quick and easy.

Hedera
March 31st, 2009, 11:32 AM
Instead of washing my fringe more, I usually just use a bit of 'dry shampoo' on it (in my case, a fingertip of cornstarch).
Rub it in, rub with a dry towel, and done. I use to brush it out after the towel too, but that doesn't seem necessary.
Looks great, fluffy and clean!

I did use to wash my fringe an extra time in between hair washes, but it got so greasy so quickly that way, and I also became paranoid about having leftover shampoo on my scalp just above my fringe.

AmandaPanda
March 31st, 2009, 04:55 PM
I wash my bangs every morning, in the sink. I've never had any problems. I usually need to only wash once and rinse but if my bangs are extra greasy, I lather up a second time.

Also, I find that mousse and hairspray keeps them "clean" longer

manderly
March 31st, 2009, 05:04 PM
I wash mine in the sink, but when BF isn't around I like to wash it in the kitchen sink and use the pull out sprayer (he hates when I do weird stuff in the kitchen sink).

Since I wash with poo bars, I just grab whatever bar (soap or poo) is handy. I put my hair in a pony, then use a brush to brush out whatever hair is short enough to escape the pony, which is mostly just the bangs. I wet that, rub it with the bar, massage a bit (I'm not careful to segregate from the rest of my scalp, I can rinse as far back as an inch sometimes.....maybe that's something for you to try?), then rinse.

I'll clip it up because I usually wash my face next to get ready. When I'm ready, I unclip it and squeeze it with a towel, then I blowdry my bangs straight :) But I wear mine that way, it's the only hair that gets blowdried regularly.

HTH.

Tornerose
March 31st, 2009, 05:30 PM
My fringe/bangs usually looks better the greasier I let it become. If I never had to wash my bangs again I'd be a happy girl. The greasier they are, the better behaved they are. When they are newly washed, they just lie there, flat, thin, flyaway and barely noticeable. On day 3, they start to behave and look fine, on day 60+ they do my bidding just by me thinking about it :D (Yes, I have gone for 2 months without washing my hair. I've not been out in public though)

florenonite
April 1st, 2009, 06:03 AM
I wash mine in the sink. It is quick and easy.

I've tried the sink and it was even worse than doing it in the shower!

Instead of washing my fringe more, I usually just use a bit of 'dry shampoo' on it (in my case, a fingertip of cornstarch).
Rub it in, rub with a dry towel, and done. I use to brush it out after the towel too, but that doesn't seem necessary.
Looks great, fluffy and clean!

I did use to wash my fringe an extra time in between hair washes, but it got so greasy so quickly that way, and I also became paranoid about having leftover shampoo on my scalp just above my fringe.

Hmm, I could try that. I've done dry shampoo on my hair as a whole before, so I could try it on just my fringe. Would definitely be less fuss than washing it, and I, too, worry about leftover shampoo.

I wash mine in the sink, but when BF isn't around I like to wash it in the kitchen sink and use the pull out sprayer (he hates when I do weird stuff in the kitchen sink).

Since I wash with poo bars, I just grab whatever bar (soap or poo) is handy. I put my hair in a pony, then use a brush to brush out whatever hair is short enough to escape the pony, which is mostly just the bangs. I wet that, rub it with the bar, massage a bit (I'm not careful to segregate from the rest of my scalp, I can rinse as far back as an inch sometimes.....maybe that's something for you to try?), then rinse.

I'll clip it up because I usually wash my face next to get ready. When I'm ready, I unclip it and squeeze it with a towel, then I blowdry my bangs straight :) But I wear mine that way, it's the only hair that gets blowdried regularly.

HTH.

I tend to get the front of my scalp wet, too, because I'm not too bothered about how far back I rinse. Maybe I'm not getting the shampoo out properly, and just need to scrub at that small bit of scalp where my fringe comes out of.

Kuchen
April 1st, 2009, 06:08 AM
I just section off my bangs and dip them under the tap, rub a tiny amount of shampoo into the roots and rinse. Kein Problem. Dry shampoo didn't work for me because not all the powder was brushed out, and it ended up in my eyes and under my contact lens.

Bloodflower
April 1st, 2009, 06:13 AM
I wash my bangs daily in the sink. But I have found that since there are only so few hairs in my bangs I tend to wash out the shampoo too early. As in apply, rub in for a sec and rinse out. Sometimes that's not enough for the shampoo to work and I'm left with greasy bangs, too. Maybe your shampoo needs a few moments more to work, too?

florenonite
April 1st, 2009, 06:21 AM
I wash my bangs daily in the sink. But I have found that since there are only so few hairs in my bangs I tend to wash out the shampoo too early. As in apply, rub in for a sec and rinse out. Sometimes that's not enough for the shampoo to work and I'm left with greasy bangs, too. Maybe your shampoo needs a few moments more to work, too?

That's a good point! When I wash my whole scalp I really massage all over, and I have thick hair so it takes longer, and also takes longer to rinse out. When I do just my fringe I rub it in a bit, rinse it out, so maybe I'm not giving it the chance to work.

Heavenly Locks
April 1st, 2009, 06:39 AM
I use a dusting of baby powder with a face powder brush :) It absorbs oil well and looks nice.

lacereza
April 1st, 2009, 07:34 PM

florenonite
April 2nd, 2009, 05:31 AM
I use a dusting of baby powder with a face powder brush :) It absorbs oil well and looks nice.

*wonders what a face powder brush is* :p I've done arrowroot powder on my hair as a whole before with just my fingers, so I can try that on my fringe.

I blow dry the fringe.

That involves (a) spending money on a blow-dryer and (b) working out how to use it so my fringe looks as nice as it does when I airdry it :D I'm probably one of the few people who actually likes the way my fringe looks air-dried - almost straight, but with a bit of a wave so that it lies on an angle and doesn't get in my face.