PDA

View Full Version : How do I henna my beard?

IrishRover716
March 31st, 2009, 07:55 AM
Normally my beard is a much more vibrant red than my hair, but since I henna'ed my hair the other day (gray hairs, boooo), both the wife and I have noticed that my beard just looks dull in comparison. So, wifey suggested that next time I henna my beard as well. Any suggestions as to how to keep my face from being bright orange?

Aisha25
March 31st, 2009, 08:21 AM
Sure just apply it to the beard haha easier said than done. It will probably leave a little stain but I think it will wash off after using shampoo. Cause henna never stays on my facial skin after I rinse it off:shrug:

Nightshade
March 31st, 2009, 08:23 AM
Pierre hennas his beard, I think. If he doesn't pop in you could shoot him a PM. :)

Katze
March 31st, 2009, 08:31 AM
Use some face cream or petroleum jelly on the area around your beard.

Even if it does go orange, it's not like hair dye and will fade very fast from your skin. Facial henna designs (henna artist here) rarely last more than a day or so, as the skin of the face is too smooth and oily for the henna to sink in.

good luck!

Pierre
March 31st, 2009, 08:40 AM
I smoosh it on, then bring the beardicles up over my temples. Last time I especially hennaed the roots of the beardicles as they were getting a bit too much gray hair. I didn't even have beardicles until I started hennaing; my beard was full of split ends, which the henna prevented.

The past few days I put my beard in my hairstyle. I made two ponytails held with the Flexi-8s, but there wasn't quite enough hair, so I added a beardicle to each.

Henna Sooq
April 1st, 2009, 09:37 AM
My hubby has been doing his beard for a really long time now. So we basically just apply right onto the beard and massage in as best as we can, and make sure we don't get the outlines of his skin next to his beard as best as we can. Try making your beard a little damp and it should go on smoother. Use vaseline around the egdes too that might help.

The skin on the face is not that thick either so any staining will disappear rather quickly, within 24-48 hours most likely.

I say go for it!!!

AcadieAnne
April 1st, 2009, 10:21 AM
Out of curiosity, do you have to add anything special to your henna mix to get it to stick better to beard hair?

Henna Sooq
April 1st, 2009, 10:26 AM
We add just a touch of sugar personally, but overall I think it would stick well even without that. It dyes very well. We started using indigo in the last year in his mix, about half and half as he originally has dark brown hair.

Anje
April 1st, 2009, 04:14 PM
DH just smears it on his beard with his fingers (usually gloved, though if he does it quickly, he doesn't stain his fingers that badly without gloves). He uses a henna + buxus/katam mixture, which matches the gray beard hair to the rest of it very nicely. His is nothing but henna, katam, and water.

ETA: He keeps his beard fairly short, though. The hairs are at most about 1/2".