PDA

View Full Version : So I need help on a routine??

XfrustratedX
April 2nd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Okay so since Jan. I have been taking biotin regularly and trying be more gentle with my hair when I am brushing it as well as giving myself frequent head massages. The problem is that I am having trouble being consistent with my routine because I keep finding wonderful advice on LHC. (thanks!!!) I try to eat healthy, drink plenty of water, have added a multivitamin and fish oil to my routine and I exercise everyday for 45 minutes and walk home since I live in the city. The one thing I have not done is cut back on how frequently I wash my hair the reason being is that I will take a shower at 7 am and by 4 pm the top of my hair has gotten oily while the bottom is still dry so my hair looks dirty. What do you think I should do? When should I take my vitamins morning or night? Any suggestions would be great! thanks in advance :o:confused:

spiraleeee
April 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Take the vitamins when you can best remember to take them. You can game them for optimal times, but in the end, if you can stay consistent, that is most important. I do best taking them in the morning, because by the end of the day, lots of times things get away from me.

Have you looked into CWC? for washing scalp while protecting ends.

I don't know what else to suggest. It is hard not to leap up and do EVERYTHING. all at once. But it is really hard to get any idea about what works that way. Two years later, my hair has not really grown, but is in fantastic condition. A lot of the things I tried and swore by, I found to be more trouble than it was worth, or even damaging, when I calmed down and took things one at a time. Right now I am trying to up my water intake. Need to figure out how to get some actual growth.

suicides_eve
April 2nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
do what feels comfortable theres no right or wrong way to do it, mostly everyone on here has found there routine by trial and error and more trials..
i take my vitimans in the morning before i leave for work that way when i grab my car keys i can see if i took them or not.

as for oily hair why not let it go w/o washing for a few days and stick it up in a bun or something fancy? For my hair can only let it go about 3 days before it gets clumpy and weird and then i wash with conditioner i do a bi weekly clarifying rinse to help balnce things back out.

have you tried doing over night deep conditioner treatments? Again i found for my hair that over night with a shower cap on once in a blue moon really helps kick the dryness out.
good luck

OhioLisa
April 2nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
As for the oily scalp and dry ends, your shampoo might just be too harsh. What are your current products? You could try going with a natural shampoo, or just dry diluting the one you have. Does your conditioner have cones? My scalp is oily and ends get dry easier when I use cones (which is why I don't anymore.) :)

Alaskanheart
April 2nd, 2008, 05:18 PM
I'm not sure if anyone ever truly finds a routine.Theres nothing wrong with just experimenting until you find what works, but you have to give it time . Its so difficult to tell someone who they should and shouldn't do with something so personal as their hair because everyones bodies are different .So what works for me, might not work for someone else, even if there hair is similar to mine.Our genetic codes are so very intricate.

I used to wash my hair everyday because I would get extremely greasy hair by the end of the day too. I found that harsh shampoos made it worse, and I also found that cones made it worse as well, not meaning they are bad, but it might be worth trying to change to a gentler detergent without cones for awhile just to see.

Also I found that I had to stop washing so often to get my hair to last longer between washes before getting greasy.If you can deal with it for a short time, it may be worth stretching your washes slowly until you are comfortable. I went from everyday to 2 -3 times a week, and the greasies are manageable.

just washing your scalp with a gentle cleanser while conditioning your length is a good idea to try, just like other posters mentioned.

CO might help too, Just experiment and you'll get it!

good luck!

jojo
April 2nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
hi, I take my vitamins with my breakfast, as for routines i found a massive difference once i started using natural shampoos and oils. I have always gotten dry ends as my hair got longer, its probably due to the fact my hair is now farther away from my scalp so my natural oils cannot reach my ends. My hair needs also change from season to season so i switch from co washes to cws depending on what my hair needs. HTH x

Curlsgirl
April 2nd, 2008, 05:29 PM
I think it's better to take vitamins in the morning but don't quote me on that! Many of us do different things here and I do even when I HAVE found something that works well just cuz I like to! Nothing wrong with it. You might try doing the same thing for 2 weeks and recording the results in a journal before changing them up just for fun or to see what works best in what kind of weather, season, length etc. Also that way you might be able to tell if your hair doesn't like a certain thing (such as protein, certain oil, certain ingredient etc.). Like Ohio Lisa said you may be washing your hair too much. This would cause your scalp to produce more sebum to try to make up for the dryness. If you are young, it could just be from hormones though. I would definitely dilute the shampoo rather than use full strength though and cones do the same thing to my hair as Ohio Lisa said too.